Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 12-31-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
darthpb
All Star Reserve

OOTP vs Strat

I'm just curious...I played strat-o-matic a lot when I was younger(never PC, just old-school cards and dice) now I'm down w/OPP, I mean OOTP, I've been around here for quite awhile, what about my other old-school guys, everyone pick OOTP 13 over a PC strat? Happy New Year, dudes
darthpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

There probably aren't too many people who used to play the board game simulations around here, but there are some.

I never played SOM as a board game, but I played Pursue The Pennant and Statis Pro Basketball in that format.

When it came to baseball, my first exposure to simulations was through MicroLeague Baseball on the Commodore 64. I played that game until 1993, when I bought a Mac and first tried SOM. At the time, SOM was clearly the best simulation on the market, board or otherwise.

Later, when I switched to the PC, I played Tony LaRussa Baseball and Old Time Baseball, though they weren't serious statistical simulations. They were solid, though, and the graphical elements were fantastic. I had been thinking about SOM for the PC, but then I got disgusted with baseball's labor disputes and abuse of performance-enhancing drugs to boost home run totals, so I stopped following the game and got out of baseball sims for a few years.

Then OOTP came along. I made the switch and have never used anything else. I especially love the fact that it enables accurate historical play and allows me to enjoy real baseball as it used to be played before the disasters of relief over-specialization, juiced balls, steroids, pitch counts, and over-managing. These abortions can even be corrected or removed through custom settings, so it can even allow the current MLB to become a less laughable operation.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Played the Strat board game to death growing up(mid 70's early 80's). Then moved on to games for the computer. Absolutely hated Micro Leagues. Loved Strat for the computer. Loved Statis Pro for the computer. Same goes for Diamond Mind. But OOTP takes things to a whole new level. I don't think I could ever go back to simply replaying seasons. Career play is just too much fun.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I agree with David.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
royalblue
Minors (Double A)

I am only 28 but I still play the SOM board game. I mainly just do it for a change of pace type of thing like when I just want to get away from electronics. I love technology but every once in awhile I like to just get a way from it and play board games like SOM baseball.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:50 AM   #6
Motorhead667
All Star Reserve

I used to play strat board game as well along with APBA, Got APBA back in 1974
I played the heck out of both of those games.
Was oh so excited when APBA came out with the windows pc game.
But I have to say hands down OOTP 13 is the best I have ever played.
I just can't get enough I have even started taking my laptop to work so I can play on my breaks and lunch!
Motorhead667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
JPL86
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead667 View Post
I used to play strat board game as well along with APBA, Got APBA back in 1974
I played the heck out of both of those games.
Was oh so excited when APBA came out with the windows pc game.
But I have to say hands down OOTP 13 is the best I have ever played.
I just can't get enough I have even started taking my laptop to work so I can play on my breaks and lunch!
I just bought a new (bigger) lap top carrying case/bag that will fit both my work laptop and my personal lap top so I can play on my lunch breaks as well.

I used to play dice games as a kid as well. My favorite (which no one seems to remember) was a game made by "Astra Games" called Batter Up. Me and my friends had leagues every summer.

I agree, OOTP is by far the best simulation game out there. Whether it be baseball, hockey, or whatever. OOTP is addictive. i can't get enough of it.
JPL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
outrider64
Major Leagues

While on vacation before Christmas I noticed a person at the airport playing Strat on his laptop. He had been a long time cards and dice player and just bought the cpu version, and the conversation turned to OOTP. He never heard of it. I told him to at least try the demo and read these forums. Not sure if he is on here or not as we never exchanged names, even though we talked for almost an hour about baseball and baseball games.

I personally don't like to compare OOTP to Strat or DMB, because those are single season replay games and both have their own strengths and weaknesses. While the single season replay option exists in OOTP, it's strength lies in career play whether fictional or real MLB which eventually becomes all fictional.

OOTP is in the same class as Puresim and Baseball Mogul (which I own a version of both). OOTP by far is superior to these games, but that's just my opinion.
outrider64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
Jordan
All Star Starter

I'm 24, and got introduced to Strat by my uncle. LOVE IT. Not the same as OOTP, so I go to each for different things. Like royalblue said, it's a nice change of pace
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

My first Strat season was 1963 (played in 1964 by me, of course). I had 1964 and 1966 before discovering girls. I did buy 1977, 1979, 1980 and 1984 after getting married, but never had the time to play much. Then I picked up the computer game and 1987 season, which was great. Once BBMogul and then OOTP arrived, I found multi-season to be what I had always been looking for. However, I still get the urge to hold a card and roll dice. There is nothing quite like watching the dice bouncing in a cup. I do play board war games weekly, and that is where I get my dice and human opponent needs tended to. I good feature for future versions of OOTP would be printable cards of the players, similar to the baseball cards in the game now, but with a print option in the game. I know I'd like to sort through a few paper mementos of my leagues instead of loading up old saved games.
Leo_The_Lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
(A) good feature for future versions of OOTP would be printable cards of the players, similar to the baseball cards in the game now, but with a print option in the game. I know I'd like to sort through a few paper mementos of my leagues instead of loading up old saved games.
GREAT suggestion.....A plaque like team summary of sorts that could be printed out on whatever quality of paper one would choose to use to maybe make a plaque.....A "team photo" using face gen guys??
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

I am in a face-to-face keeper strat league and have been for... 10 years now, I think. The league has been going somewhere around 35 years.

I love both. Strat is my face-to-face game. OOTP is my computer game. They both feed different parts of my brain.
rpriske is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #13
Shucker
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
I am in a face-to-face keeper strat league and have been for... 10 years now, I think. The league has been going somewhere around 35 years.

I love both. Strat is my face-to-face game. OOTP is my computer game. They both feed different parts of my brain.
That is very, very cool. I envy you!
Shucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #14
oman19
All Star Starter

Quote:

Sooooo jealous

My OOTP wishlist: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #15
royalblue
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

Nice. I have been thinking about seeing if there is a Strat league here in KC I wouldn't mind playing against other people.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #16
RonP
Minors (Triple A)

I first became aware of sims back in 1956. Two years later my buddy and I had our first APBA game. We would run a six-team league apiece and play out entire seasons. I was just up in my hometown four or five months ago and introduced him to OOTP, I understand that he has given up wine for it.
Ron
RonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #17
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
He gave up alcohol for OOTP? Why? They go so well together.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
He gave up alcohol for OOTP? Why? They go so well together.
LOL

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-dont-mix.html

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #19
hit_or_miss54680
Minors (Double A)

My dad and I used to play SOM when we'd go out in the RV when I was a kid. 1993 Stat-o-matic. Sometimes we'd play actual 1993 rosters, sometimes we'd draft, sometimes we'd autodraft. We're play 3-4 games a trip. Then we discovered OOTP and we both became obsessed. You can't beat the ability to simulate whole careers and everything.

We still play 1993 Strat-O-Matic when we go out in the RV though.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #20
StyxNCa
Hall Of Famer

No comparison.
StyxNCa is offline   Reply With Quote