Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 03-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #21
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002halos View Post
Exactly. Many people run their teams on autopilot most, if not all of the week.

I'd add that I hurt my team's record a bit each season by doing defensive training and experimenting with new cards or strategy settings. I know this tinkering is hurting my chances of making the playoffs, so I stop if I'm in a tough race, but in the meantime, I'm gathering data and knowledge to beat you in the playoffs.

So on Sundays in the playoffs I'm going to find your weakness and exploit it. And I have no doubt I'm not alone.

My three teams are a combined 9-3 in WC games. Before the season ends I've scouted my potential opponent and the starter with the best chance of beating that team will be rested and ready.

And those 9 teams that advanced from the WC went 6-3 in Division Series against the "best record" in the league.
I find that strategy is only really useful if the team you're playing is setup with some kind of extremes. There isn't much strategy you can use against a balanced team in a neutral ballpark. You just have to put your best team on the field and hope.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #22
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

I've been on the other foot a couple times, knocking off a league giant in the WS. Players get hot, or on the other side cold, and funny things happen. As others have said it's one thing to be the better team over the course of 162 games, but very much another to be the better team for 4-7 games.
Dunzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:21 PM   #23
2002halos
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reo View Post
This is how it's done, I won silver, gold, and diamond in succession, haven't won perfect yet though(I made the postseason my first season though - after that I joined the whales league - still making the postseason but no hardware yet - doubt I will with 20 coming - I'm just outclassed in this league - no complaints though - we're all friendly - Discord league - it's an addicts thing - lol).
When did that Discord league begin?

The trend in setting up friend-list leagues made the other Perfect Level leagues a tad bit easier, I suspect.

In the last few seasons, they seem to have had fewer mega-whales than before. At least that's been my experience. Maybe I've just been luckier with my random placements.
2002halos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:29 PM   #24
2002halos
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
I find that strategy is only really useful if the team you're playing is setup with some kind of extremes. There isn't much strategy you can use against a balanced team in a neutral ballpark. You just have to put your best team on the field and hope.
Agreed, but that's part of the scouting. If I find no obvious edges I can exploit, then balancing my own team and putting the best team on the field is, in fact, the best way to maximize my odds.

Even when there IS something obvious to exploit, there's still at best only around a 55 to 60 percent chance of beating a playoff-caliber team in a given game.
2002halos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:41 PM   #25
Maddox
All Star Reserve

This is my most recent and most successful team. Made the playoffs every year. Those early years I was way ahead of number 2.

Yet, I have only made it to the championship series once and I lost that. The time I made it to the championship was not even in one of the 100 win seasons. A championship would be great but honestly I am more proud of the sustained success as I move up the ranks to Diamond.
Attached Images

Last edited by Maddox; 03-11-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:16 PM   #26
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

I went in as a horrible team that got lucky to get a WC berth. Somehow made it to the world series and had enough PT points to buy 5 backs. Opened them right before the WS started and got Ty Cobb and 3 other players to add to my roster. Got the WS win because of that!!

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #27
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinkableSoup29 View Post
How does this make a lot of sense?

I have a killer team. Last 3 seasons I have a win rate of over .750 and last seasons I won 124 games. I got straight shutout in the playoffs by a team barely winning 90 games.

Please help me understand this!
Wow, Great season my friend.I always feel if you can make the playoffs you can win it all because of the short series you play. But I would hate to try and beat your team that won 124 games. Lol. 🤯
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #28
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
This is my most recent and most successful team. Made the playoffs every year. Those early years I was way ahead of number 2.

Yet, I have only made it to the championship series once and I lost that. .
Yes, My team (Me) has a terrible playoff record. I do not know why but we (Me) suck in the playoffs.....🤷*♂️
Old 03-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #29
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunzie View Post
I've been on the other foot a couple times, knocking off a league giant in the WS. Players get hot, or on the other side cold, and funny things happen. As others have said it's one thing to be the better team over the course of 162 games, but very much another to be the better team for 4-7 games.
I would rather be that team who steps up in the playoffs like you did . I suck in the playoffs. If they gave a League Trophy for choking in the playoffs I would be a top Champion. 🏆
Old 03-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #30
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalion View Post
I'd go a bit farther to say that games may play out differently in the playoffs. Consequently, teams built for the long haul may not be optimized for short series,

One observation. In the playoffs everyone is going to face better pitching with shorter rotations. Runs will probably be harder to come by. Can your team score runs in more than one way and on a consistent basis?
Great point. Never thought of that....🤔
Old 03-14-2019, 02:54 PM   #31
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post

Yet, I have only made it to the championship series once and I lost that. The time I made it to the championship was not even in one of the 100 win seasons. A championship would be great but honestly I am more proud of the sustained success as I move up the ranks to Diamond.
Exactly, and I'm finding that out in my 6th season and 1st in Diamond. Even if I can qualify for WC this season, I know I'm not ready for Perfect - so I'll pride myself in MAYBE getting another 100 win season
Attached Images

Last edited by HRBaker; 03-14-2019 at 02:55 PM.
HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote