Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 11-05-2016, 05:06 PM   #21
dmacgreg37
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by julius View Post
Unfortunately, for reasons described in other posts, that would be a big mistake. Removing user flexibility and options is never a winning proposition. Your marketing of PtG as an exciting new feature is, frankly, misleading.
Yup. Agree on all. Bought the first two versions, either as pre-order or on release day. This will be a hard pass, and I can't see that changing based on current course of the product.

FHM offered the chance for flexibility over EHM, while EHM has had the far better sim engine, and better interface (my opinion). Getting rid, or minimizing that flexibility makes it a far inferior game. Too bad.
dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #22
Nino33
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacgreg37 View Post
FHM offered the chance for flexibility over EHM
In addition to the existing EHM Assistant, the EHM editors being worked on (by Archi at TBL and by Riz himself) will address editing flexibility; I suspect EHM will have similar/the same editing flexibility as you do in OOTP (the difference being it'll take significant editing effort to achieve desired results, as it always has with EHM...there certainly isn't a "wizard" to make things easier!)

Maybe the FHM development team knew that they wouldn't have something that EHM doesn't with editing flexibility, but they certainly might with a more detailed, immersive experience (including user GM development) & improvements in areas like user friendliness and ingame day-to-day activities.....the other thing about editing flexibility is you may as a developer end up spending more time on bugs/issues that affect a minority of users, and less time actually working on/improving the core game

FHM still does have "sandbox mode" + fictional play with a wizard doing most of the work...

Quote:
while EHM has had the far better sim engine
While personally I'm not comfortable with the claims that some make that FHM has the far better sim engine, I'm not comfortable with the claim that EHM does either...

Just my opinions, as the saying goes "your mileage may vary"
Nino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #23
dmacgreg37
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino33 View Post
In addition to the existing EHM Assistant, the EHM editors being worked on (by Archi at TBL and by Riz himself) will address editing flexibility; I suspect EHM will have similar/the same editing flexibility as you do in OOTP (the difference being it'll take significant editing effort to achieve desired results, as it always has with EHM...there certainly isn't a "wizard" to make things easier!)

Maybe the FHM development team knew that they wouldn't have something that EHM doesn't with editing flexibility, but they certainly might with a more detailed, immersive experience (including user GM development) & improvements in areas like user friendliness and ingame day-to-day activities.....the other thing about editing flexibility is you may as a developer end up spending more time on bugs/issues that affect a minority of users, and less time actually working on/improving the core game

FHM still does have "sandbox mode" + fictional play with a wizard doing most of the work...

While personally I'm not comfortable with the claims that some make that FHM has the far better sim engine, I'm not comfortable with the claim that EHM does either...

Just my opinions, as the saying goes "your mileage may vary"
That's all fair.

The EHM "flexibility" is significantly more difficult than it's been in OOTP, and could be in FHM. It takes a great deal of "behind-the-scenes' work that some of us are unable/unwilling to do.

As for the engine, as I stated too, it's all in the preference.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:15 PM   #24
Nino33
Major Leagues

For me thoughts on a sports simulation game engine quality (i.e. saying something's far better) are primarily empirical and based on stats/data and not much at all on opinion/preference

Last edited by Nino33; 11-05-2016 at 07:32 PM. Reason: corrected typo (stats, not states! HaHa)
Nino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #25
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

There is a fine line between editing and customization: at some point moving teams, renaming teams, expansion will come to the career mode. I´m pretty sure we will even see rule changes like salary cap changes, roster max changes, foreigner limit changes and so on, but it will be in the form of league evolvement and not an editor that a user can use at any point. Heck, I would not even rule out an external pre-game editor at some point.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #26
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nino33 View Post
For me thoughts on a sports simulation game engine quality (i.e. saying something's far better) are primarily empirical and based on states/data and not much at all on opinion/preference
To be honest: with all the tests we run during the last weeks, FHM 3 has not to hide behind any other existing hockey simulator out there. As I always say, of course there is room for improvements but all in all we produce pretty realistic totals.

But that is the nice thing: people can run tests in both games and compare the results with reality. Maybe both games produce great stats, who knows.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:56 AM   #27
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torognius View Post
I usually do one day at a time, even in sandbox, and I know the devs have stated repeatedly that PtG is not meant to be a fast sim game, but maybe there is a compromise available in the form of simming to the next game.
One of the most frustrating scenarios is if your team doesn't make the playoffs. Right now, you cant "watch" the other games, and there is really nothing to do. You can't go on vacation, and just basically have to click.. wait 30 seconds.. click... wait 30 seconds.. for close to 2 months of game time.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:37 AM   #28
Templer
Minors (Triple A)

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
The mode is still fun to me, but I'm now a bit unsure about the posts here.
I do not have so much time to play, unfortunately I read here a few less shining facts about the mode which I have not noticed so far.
I'm assuming that the developers will be working on the Path of Glory mode the comming days and weeks?
Templer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:06 AM   #29
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templer View Post
The mode is still fun to me, but I'm now a bit unsure about the posts here.
I do not have so much time to play, unfortunately I read here a few less shining facts about the mode which I have not noticed so far.
I'm assuming that the developers will be working on the Path of Glory mode the comming days and weeks?
We will and not the coming days and weeks but the mode itself is already doing what it is supposed to do. We will just continue to flash it out with every update (except maybe the first 1-2 because they are for bugfixing mainly) and new version.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:07 AM   #30
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
To be honest: with all the tests we run during the last weeks, FHM 3 has not to hide behind any other existing hockey simulator out there. As I always say, of course there is room for improvements but all in all we produce pretty realistic totals.

But that is the nice thing: people can run tests in both games and compare the results with reality. Maybe both games produce great stats, who knows.
Sorry, I quoted the wrong post (Nino33) here. It was late and I needed some sleep.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:36 AM   #31
Benexcelsior
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
We will and not the coming days and weeks but the mode itself is already doing what it is supposed to do. We will just continue to flash it out with every update (except maybe the first 1-2 because they are for bugfixing mainly) and new version.
One thing is for sure, you are always honest to your customers and I respect that.

Many players including myself will wait before playing PtG again because there is little difference between Sand box and PtG right now. "At the moment it might be true, but both modes will drift away from each other in the future".

Because right now, you have been promoting 2 different game modes and essentially saying on the forum that they are the same. I actually bought the game for this very mode and find it disappointing to read that you don't even consider them different right now . "but the mode itself is already doing what it is supposed to do". What does it actually do differently from Sand Box? I don't know apart from the point system?

If you want people to come back to the game, it might be a good idea to list some elements you plan to work on to at least suggest people that the game will get better.

We just want a good reason to keep playing PtG or maybe come back to this mode sooner than later!

Last edited by Benexcelsior; 11-06-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Benexcelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #32
Lord PichuPal
All Star Reserve

I did start a save on it, but at present it is pretty slow paced and not having an easy method to set up the roster is a bit of a pain. I had to individually move down players from my main roster just to get under the limit and set the lines myself instead of being able to allow the coach to handle that or AI. Might just be because I'm too used to OOTP or sandbox where I mostly allow the AI to manage a lot of the individual things like that while I focus more on watching the team, building them up, and watching things unfold without getting too deep.

I like the concept of the mode but I may end up sticking with sandbox mostly due to the freedom to do more or sim ahead further when there's nothing happening. That and because I still love fictional mode the most, so a lot of my time ends up spent on that, which directly ties to sandbox and trickle down from other updates.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:23 AM   #33
Garethw87

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem316 View Post
ONE SUGGESTION...when starting a career, it would be nice to be able to access the League Rules for the League prospective teams are in. You can see roster, but not rules.
If I'm understanding this correctly.. You can view the leagues rules already. Its on the top menu bar.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:25 AM   #34
Templer
Minors (Triple A)

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
OK, the mode does what it should, but there are some awkward situations like AlpineSK's report:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSK View Post
One of the most frustrating scenarios is if your team doesn't make the playoffs. Right now, you cant "watch" the other games, and there is really nothing to do. You can't go on vacation, and just basically have to click.. wait 30 seconds.. click... wait 30 seconds.. for close to 2 months of game time.
I hope you find solutions.
Templer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:07 AM   #35
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Yup. Agree on all. Bought the first two versions, either as pre-order or on release day. This will be a hard pass, and I can't see that changing based on current course of the product.

FHM offered the chance for flexibility over EHM, while EHM has had the far better sim engine, and better interface (my opinion). Getting rid, or minimizing that flexibility makes it a far inferior game. Too bad.
Not to speak for the devs, but I don't think there are any plans to remove Sandbox mode. For the most part Path to Glory and Sandbox mode to use the exact same engine - so they can't really improve one mode without the other. So fears of the game losing its customization or the devs abandoning Sandbox mode seem totally unfounded.
omjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:11 AM   #36
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSK View Post
IMO a 'Go on Vacation for...' option during the postseason and offseason months would be the best way to avoid this situation without breaking immersion.
omjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:08 AM   #37
dmacgreg37
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by omjo View Post
Not to speak for the devs, but I don't think there are any plans to remove Sandbox mode. For the most part Path to Glory and Sandbox mode to use the exact same engine - so they can't really improve one mode without the other. So fears of the game losing its customization or the devs abandoning Sandbox mode seem totally unfounded.
Yeah, I should've been more clear. I meant minimizing it, as in not advancing it further. The options for fictional were very small last year, and did not improve this year (apparently). With them seemingly content on pushing forward with the PtG mode, it seems unlikely they'll add a ton in the next iteration or two either. Thus, minimizing it's value.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #38
Chomps
Major Leagues

I am not enjoying the game play in PTG Mode.

Why were the various sim speeds and options available for gameplay in FHM2 removed in FHM3? (ex. sim until goal, etc...)

Why are the lines shown after each faceoff, and what are we supposed to do?

I don't see any options for changing tactics or anything during gameplay.

It all feels very sterile and uninteresting.
Chomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #39
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomps View Post
I am not enjoying the game play in PTG Mode.

Why were the various sim speeds and options available for gameplay in FHM2 removed in FHM3? (ex. sim until goal, etc...)
Because the mode is for user who want to actually play as GM/Coach. I agree with people that it is not perfect at the moment and we will continue to tweak the mode going forward but the idea behind it will not change.

Quote:
Why are the lines shown after each faceoff, and what are we supposed to do?
Make line changes. If you don´t want to, just continue without selecting anything. If you don´t want any breaks (except Goals and Injuries), deselect stoppages on top of the screen.

Quote:
I don't see any options for changing tactics or anything during gameplay.
The Strategy button on top?
Old 11-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #40
Chomps
Major Leagues

Quote:
Because the mode is for user who want to actually play as GM/Coach. I agree with people that it is not perfect at the moment and we will continue to tweak the mode going forward but the idea behind it will not change.
Removing options for the Player is not a good idea. Having various options during game sim, should not affect the GM/Coach realism, and in my opinion should not have been removed.
Chomps is offline   Reply With Quote