Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 12-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #41
MBarrett
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Damn, you guys can be persistent. Okay. Turn off ratings and stars and be sure to check the box for the AI not to use ratings in its player evaluations. Set your AI evaluation criteria to 0% ratings, 50% current year, 33% last year, 17% two years ago. Set scouts on and to average accuracy or lower if you dare. Use feeder leagues, both HS and college. If it's a fictional league, sim ahead for five years or so, that cycles the feeder leagues and gives every player a statistical history that you can use for evaluation.

Now take over a team. Do not be in Commissioner mode. Do not be unfireable. Start making decisions about players based on stats and scouting reports. Suddenly discover that the game is far, far harder than when you could see ratings and potentials.

You will either love the uncertainty or you will hate it. You will make some great trades and some awful ones. Some of your draft choices will be crap, and some will be golden. You will find yourself agonizing over player decisions - is your third baseman just in a slump or is this the beginning of the end for him? Is your catcher ever going to return to his pre-DL form, or will he be a shadow of what he was from now on? Why does your bullpen suck so badly? Should you draft this guy or that guy? Damn, you're thinking like a real-life GM.

And that's because without ratings and without potentials, you will actually have to make decisions just like a real GM does, and not like an all-knowing video gamer. And you will suddenly find yourself thinking like a GM and dealing with limited information like GM's do.

To me, it's the best way to play OOTP. But it's not for everybody, and you may not like it. But there is a hard core of stats only players who do think it's the best way to play, and if you try it you may find out you are one of us. Or not. But what have you got to lose by trying it? You already bought the game.

"It's your game, play it your way." My way is stats only. Maybe it's your way, too. Maybe it's not. Try it and see.
Day 4 of my new solo league since I read this and gave it a shot. I want to give you a huge thanks for taking OOTP to another level for me!

Can't believe how excited I get again to fire up the game and start scouting, trying to find that diamond in the rough.
MBarrett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #42
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblcommish View Post
Wolf, awesome write up for the league but do you use all the levels of minors like the short league and whatever it just the triple, double and single A ones?
All of them. Full minors.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #43
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBarrett View Post
Day 4 of my new solo league since I read this and gave it a shot. I want to give you a huge thanks for taking OOTP to another level for me!

Can't believe how excited I get again to fire up the game and start scouting, trying to find that diamond in the rough.
You're welcome. Could I get you to do us all a favor and write a post about the differences between vanilla OOTP and stats only?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #44
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Personally I enjoy having some ratings showing (potential on 2-8 scale and stars). I feel like I am like a GM who has scouts at least give a ballpark of how good a player could be. I hide current ratings - but it would likely be nice to hide the current stars as well. It's not quite stats-only, and I do admire those who have patience to play that mode, but I like having some stuff pre-calculated for me.
"It's your game, play it your way."

There is no right or wrong way. There's only the way that's the most fun for you.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:07 AM   #45
haveband
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
"It's your game, play it your way."

There is no right or wrong way. There's only the way that's the most fun for you.
What he said
haveband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #46
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Guys:

Can you please post comments and questions about stats only here instead of barraging me with PM'S?

Thank you.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #47
mmarra82
Major Leagues

Sorry, I'm sure that is directed at me, been searching the stats only threads, trying to find a link to what settings to use.

Mike
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #48
mmarra82
Major Leagues

Now I realize why I didn't find it, was searching ootp15, not ootp14.

Sorry again.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #49
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

There's a link to it in this thread, and it wasn't directed at you specifically.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #50
mmarra82
Major Leagues

I'll start by asking some questions here..

1.) Under game settings, set the scouting accuracy to "low"?
2.) Turn off any potential ratings
3.) Then, under player rating scales there are three boxes, which box should be checked, the one labeled "overall ratings based on AI evaluation, not pure ratings"?
Old 12-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #51
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarra82 View Post
I'll start by asking some questions here..

1.) Under game settings, set the scouting accuracy to "low"?
2.) Turn off any potential ratings
3.) Then, under player rating scales there are three boxes, which box should be checked, the one labeled "overall ratings based on AI evaluation, not pure ratings"?
1. Yes. Or lower.

2. Turning off all ratings is the standard SO method. Stats only = no ratings.

3. Yes

Old 12-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #52
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

When I'm not playing quickly, it's a far more challenging way to play. This is useful.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #53
mmarra82
Major Leagues

Feeder Leagues

Want to do 30 rounds for real MLB type draft instead of 35. Is 3 college and 2 high school enough feeder leagues?
Old 12-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #54
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Been playing OOTP for over a decade and have always preferred fictional playing. Currently in a solo league that I've been playing for over 280 seasons that's fictional. No scouts and no coaches either, because they annoy me.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #55
Trebro
All Star Reserve

For those who play stats only: How do you know when a player can handle multiple positions? Just experimenting?
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #56
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Feeder Leagues

Want to do 30 rounds for real MLB type draft instead of 35. Is 3 college and 2 high school enough feeder leagues?
There's a feeder league guide link in the link that I posted uptopic.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #57
mmarra82
Major Leagues

Which stat do you value more to judge a player's defensive skills? Pct., RF, Z or EFF?
Old 12-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #58
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Which stat do you value more to judge a player's defensive skills? Pct., RF, Z or EFF?
Every defensive stat available

Old 12-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #59
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

I prefer ZR & EFF as my two "money" stats when it comes to devloping a players defense. I also do a lote of "Force Start" for position players while they are in the minors to give them a chance to show where their natual position is.

But I'll be honest, defensive skills are... at best, a secondary consideration for me. I'll always take a bat over a glove
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #60
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

If I had to choose one...ZR...but as others have stated, you don't have to choose just one. I think efficiency is important also.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote