Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
aaronhelman
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Overwhelmed managing the minor leaguers

After a few seasons after starting a new league, I usually wind up totally overwhelmed with way too many minor leaguers - sometimes 40-50 players on Rookie League rosters. I know that OOTP treats those as "free" contracts and that I'm not losing money by keeping so many extra players, but if they're all stepping over each other's playing time, it's harder for everyone to develop, right?

So, how do you keep your minor league rosters in line? When do you cut a player who's not hacking it in Rookie or Short Season leagues?

What's a standard practice in real life? Two years? Longer?
aaronhelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
TomVeal
All Star Starter

While I can't pose as an expert, I suggest disciplining oneself to limit each minor league team's active roster to 25 players, with a little leeway (30 to 35 players) in the rookie leagues. That makes it mandatory to cut guys who perform poorly or who obviously lack the tools to reach the big time. Of course, it can still be brain-wracking to decide which ones to release or demote.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

Hard decisions are part of the process.

I know it's hard to cut that guy you thought was a steal in round 14, but if he can't hack it, he can't hack it.

As for rookie league and Short A, I have 40 man roster for rookie and 35 man for Short A, then I have 2 single A affiliates with a 30 man roster, then a 30 man AA and AAA roster (but I only keep 28 in each, two of those slots are for rehab assignments)

One thing to do is force start your higher picks in R and Short A in their position or one you want them to learn and SHORTLIST them. That way it's easier for you to think "I put value in him, I will be patient and will keep him in the lineup despite his struggles."
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:58 AM   #4
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

To add to what Carlton said, it is a good idea to force start your prospects and bench from time to time to prevent the AI from injuring them out. If you don't want to micro-manage as much try to hire coaches/managers at your lower levels that strongly favor tools.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
SteveP

Age. It's up or out for me. I will let older guys play longer if they can get to AAA, but you have to make room for the younger guys coming up.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

I do a mass cut of usually about 30 guys at the lower levels after the season, plus a few guys who are around 30 years old at Double-A and Triple-A.

I also have roster limits set for the minors, although the consensus around here is that roster limits can cause some issues with AI roster moves (which I've never personally seen). This forces me to make roster cuts to meet the roster limits.

My one other "rule" I have is that if a guy is about to spend his third year at the same level and hasn't proven he can handle the next level up, he gets cut unless he's at Triple-A.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
yoyoma
Minors (Double A)

I usually "clean house" after every season. Guys that are too old for their level or haven't done anything get cut. I like to have around 30 so I can keep extra pitchers so I can limit the pitch count for starters.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:35 PM   #8
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

To add to what others have said regarding cleaning house, I do a purge the day before the Spring amateur draft to make room for incoming players.

You can't be sentimental about players. If they won't contribute to the big league club one day you have to cut 'em loose. That's how it works in the real world. We don't read about it or hear about in the news, but MLB organizations cut guys in droves every year. The number of minor leaguers who spend a day in the Majors is in the single percentage point range. Just making it to AA is an accomplishment considering how many teams below filter in.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:33 PM   #9
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
To add to what Carlton said, it is a good idea to force start your prospects and bench from time to time to prevent the AI from injuring them out. If you don't want to micro-manage as much try to hire coaches/managers at your lower levels that strongly favor tools.
This is a new one for me. Why do you you want coaches that favor tools? I thought that was only a scout rating.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:57 PM   #10
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

I was thinking that it would impact line-up selection.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #11
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

There is also an option in league settings where the lower levels you can choose "Base lineup on potential or current ability"

I do potential for all except AAA

As for the roster limits being buggy...like I stated get 2 or 3 open slots in AA and AAA (manually managing your minors) so rehab assignments don't cause the AI to cut anyone at those levels.
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
There is also an option in league settings where the lower levels you can choose "Base lineup on potential or current ability"

As for the roster limits being buggy...like I stated get 2 or 3 open slots in AA and AAA (manually managing your minors) so rehab assignments don't cause the AI to cut anyone at those levels.
This is excellent advice.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #13
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton View Post

In real life, as I understand it, players on rehab assignments don't count against the minor league team's roster limit. Therefore, it's not "cheating" to add extra slots to AAA rosters to overcome the fact that OOTP doesn't know that rule.

Another reason for extra slots is to make it less cumbersome to move players between levels. It would be a nuisance to have to put the guy going down on DFA, promote the guy going up, then assign the DFA to his new team - especially if one is making several moves at the same time (as often happens in the minors).

Having said that, what I do in practice is leave the minor league rosters unlimited, then enforce them rigorously against myself. The AI has enough handicaps without having to worry about roster juggling.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote