Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support Do you have a copy of OOTP Baseball 2006? Are you in need of help and assistance in running the game or do you have errors that you need help in resolving? This is your place!

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:22 AM   #1
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
BZ 3537 : Re-Importing Names.txt Files

Please, please, please fix this!

I've read that someone said someone said it was fixed , but I can't find where someone actually SAYS it was fixed (and it's NOT fixed). I also found a thread closed for being a duplicate thread, but I can't find the original thread......

Anyhow, if you import a new names.txt and/or first_names.txt file, weird things happen like 400 players named Bubba and no one named Jim and such silliness.

This is a HUGE thing to me and I implore you, Mr. Markus, to re-examine this issue!

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:01 AM   #2
ryanivr
All Star Reserve

+1
Old 08-31-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Would that someone would say this is being addressed or made into a BZ at least?
Old 08-31-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
Would that someone would say this is being addressed or made into a BZ at least?
Making my first strides to look into a status on this, 'dog. Can you provide me an original link where the exact problem is put forward? I'll attempt to gather a response in the next couple of days, one way or the other.

Edit: I know you laid it out plain and simple in the OP, but can you point me to some other discussion that entail even other circumstances, etc... Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by endgame; 08-31-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:21 PM   #5
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Making my first strides to look into a status on this, 'dog. Can you provide me an original link where the exact problem is put forward? I'll attempt to gather a response in the next couple of days, one way or the other.

Edit: I know you laid it out plain and simple in the OP, but can you point me to some other discussion that entail even other circumstances, etc... Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.
Here is the best account I can find, though the fella seems to have needed to resort to tranquilizers to get through the post....

His reported problems are all things I have witnessed with my own two eyes....

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ight=names.txt

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ight=names.txt

PS. I have created, as you may or may not know, an alternative set of names to be used for OOTP. I get many messages from people complaining about misspelled names and Names that they think I should have not included in a set and in every case so far the offending names are NOT from my set. For example, I went to great pains to eliminate all the special characters from the name sets I edited, but names with special characters still sometimes appear after re-importing the name files. And as the poster in the above links, I can find no rhyme or reason to the quirks. Every time they seem to be something new, as if they were some kind of mutating virus trying to reinvent itself to avoid detection.....

EDIT: I should mention that this only happens when using the "Re-Import Names and Ethnicity Database" Function under league set up. If I change the file manually and begin a new game with the altered file in place, there doesn't seem to be an issue.

Last edited by Questdog; 08-31-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: More info
Old 09-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the responses, Q. As I was unable to turn up original research on this item, I have logged a new BZ with a severity indicative of your dilemma. BZ#3537
Old 09-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
endgame
Hall Of Famer

This issue has been claimed fix in the next patch.
Closed Thread