Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:51 PM   #501
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Bah.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:53 PM   #502
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Bah.
Yeah, they're not the Mets. (Or the Yanks.)

But it was good baseball!

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:03 AM   #503
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Glad the Nats won as someone who likes to see new teams win (and as a Rangers fan). I could only watch the later innings of games due to work and family. But man, whenever I tuned in Rendon hit a dinger. That guy is ice-cold and has a wicked eye.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:09 AM   #504
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Congrats to the Nationals!

Oh. And uhhh...home field advantage is a myth.
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:10 AM   #505
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Yeah, they're not the Mets. (Or the Yanks.)

But it was good baseball!
I have those guys in my division and they're gonna hang an ugly banner and horn off about it all year long, maybe even longer than that …!

Bah!

Oh, at least Harper got nothing.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:32 AM   #506
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

How 'bout them Ex-'Spos?

Congrats on a thrilling National League Championship Series victory over the Astros. Don't they have to face an American League team now?

Last edited by ThatSeventiesGuy; 10-31-2019 at 03:34 AM.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:25 AM   #507
dancariaz
Minors (Triple A)

What a weird World Series. Road teams go 7-0, that's gotta be a first.

Congrats to the Nats!

F2P Team
dancariaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:52 AM   #508
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Putting my hot air where my mouth is, I'd be tempted to bring him out for the ninth! He's a starter; he's got it in him, and he's going strong. I would at least let him give up a hit or a walk, then pull him and go with Doolittle. Even if the hit is a homer, the Nats still have the lead.

EDIT: Woof. I think it may be moot now.
Love the conversation about pitcher usage. My question for everyone is if it even matters? I will say what I'm about to type is not based on any statistical evidence since I haven't bothered to look. I have seen the numbers of the pitcher vs. the 3rd time through the lineup enough on MLB network to know that pitchers are less effective. I'm not questioning the validity of that. However, I can't seem to remember seeing how going to the bullpen in these situations has drastically improved a teams chances of winning? Maybe they have, like I said, I have not looked it up. But I will say that scoring across the league is not down. If this was so effective wouldn't we see more low scoring games? So my question is are mangers being forced into a action of futility? I sure felt that was how the Astros played it last night. Congrats to the Nats though, they should have been bounced from the playoffs in each round but they never quit. Playoffs on the whole were a great watch this year. Albeit a great super annoyingly late watch, but great all the same.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812

Last edited by Hrycaj; 10-31-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Hrycaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:29 AM   #509
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

I knew Grienke was going to be pulled once he walked Soto after Rendon's home run because that's what happens in the post-season. But I didn't think there was any need to. He had pitched a really good, effective game. I would've kept him in and not gone into panic-mode as Hinch did.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:19 AM   #510
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So *I* am still up at 4:45 in the morning, but *you* go to bed?
I'm 50, gotta get up @ 630AM, don't like coffee, have given up energy drinks & I work in a peds clinic where I deal w/kids that are either sick or need an exorcist.

I NEED SLEEP
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:21 AM   #511
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancariaz View Post
What a weird World Series. Road teams go 7-0, that's gotta be a first.

Congrats to the Nats!
Never happened before in MLB. Or the NBA. Or the NHL.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-31-2019, 09:23 AM   #512
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

One thing I object to is people saying the Nats got hot. Washington has been one of the top 4 or 5 teams in the league since May. This isn't a Cinderella story. When you sustain that kind of play for that long, you aren't hot. You're good. The poor start fooled us all.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-31-2019, 09:44 AM   #513
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

I kind of feel Juan Soto should have been MVP instead of Strasburg. It was more of a hitters series than a pitchers series.
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:08 AM   #514
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh, at least Harper got nothing.
Let's talk about him for a minute. My intention is not to gloat, for I care not for Bryce Harper, one way or the other.

Still, I have a bit of satisfaction knowing that Harper was seated on his rear end like the rest of us last night, watching the game on TV (unless he was in the stands). What was he feeling? Regret, perhaps?

For, what is the difference between $300 million and $330 million? Don't say "30 million" or I will report your post!

Already more money than most people would know what to do with, but he wanted $30 million more. Do you think he's regretting that now? Seven years with the Nationals, and they win it all the year that he jumps ship.

I wouldn't want to be Bryce Harper this morning.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:12 AM   #515
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Let's talk about him for a minute. My intention is not to gloat, for I care not for Bryce Harper, one way or the other.

Still, I have a bit of satisfaction knowing that Harper was seated on his rear end like the rest of us last night, watching the game on TV (unless he was in the stands). What was he feeling? Regret, perhaps?

For, what is the difference between $300 million and $330 million? Don't say "30 million" or I will report your post!

Already more money than most people would know what to do with, but he wanted $30 million more. Do you think he's regretting that now? Seven years with the Nationals, and they win it all the year that he jumps ship.

Well, to be fair, teams historically overpay for free agents. There's no way he could have known this would be the year teams start rethinking their strategy. It's going to be another thin offseason for free agents, I think, I bet you won't see any holdouts like Harper and Machado.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:28 AM   #516
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:

A lot of people like to paint this as being selfish, or greedy when, in many cases, it's the opposite.

Players are under a lot of pressure from the union to take the biggest deal. This is because player contracts are based on previous player contracts. It is in every player's best interest that Harper (or Machado, or Trout, or Cole, or whoever) get the biggest contract possible so that the next guy can.

When a guy holds out for a big contract he's no just doing it for himself, he's doing it for the next group of guys as well.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:33 AM   #517
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
A lot of people like to paint this as being selfish, or greedy when, in many cases, it's the opposite.

Players are under a lot of pressure from the union to take the biggest deal. This is because player contracts are based on previous player contracts. It is in every player's best interest that Harper (or Machado, or Trout, or Cole, or whoever) get the biggest contract possible so that the next guy can.

When a guy holds out for a big contract he's no just doing it for himself, he's doing it for the next group of guys as well.
Also, I'd rather players have the money than owners. Nothing wrong with making what the market thinks you're worth. Supply and demand and all.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:45 AM   #518
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
Also, I'd rather players have the money than owners. Nothing wrong with making what the market thinks you're worth. Supply and demand and all.
It's easy to say that it's weird that people will trash millionaire players for fighting for a few million dollars more but they support billionaire owners for fighting for those millions.

But, it's not weird at all.

There's been a concerted effort by the media, the media is owned by billionaires after all, to advance this type of thinking. Casting employees as greedy (whether they are baseball players making millions or Joe Schmoes making $10 an hour) makes it easier for all the business owners to hoard wealth.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:14 AM   #519
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:

Less than $30 million, after taxes!
Old 10-31-2019, 11:26 AM   #520
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
Less than $30 million, after taxes!
A bit more than $30 million is what billionaire owner Mark Lerner wouldn't shell out to retain Harper