Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

TBCB General Discussions Talk about the new boxing sim, Title Bout.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
pilight
All Star Starter

Jack Johnson pardoned

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/24/s...don-trump.html

Quote:
Johnson was convicted in 1913 of violating the Mann Act on charges that he transported a white woman across state lines “for immoral purposes.” The woman Johnson transported, Belle Schreiber, worked as a prostitute and had been in a steady relationship with the heavyweight champion.

Johnson was sentenced to a year in prison, but he fled the country for several years, returning in 1920 to serve his sentence.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #2
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Times were certainly different then.

I will refrain from suggesting what I wish Lennox Lewis would have done at that meeting....

Stallone must have really needed the publicity. His last couple of movies were stinkers.

Cap
Old 05-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
zyberianwarrior
All Star Starter

the charges were trumped up to begin with. I have no problem with this
zyberianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

The minds of the remaining descendants of Jack Johnson are now at peace, so the pardon was the right action to take.
IceTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:10 AM   #5
pilight
All Star Starter

Whatever you might think of president Trump, not everything he does is wrong. This was clearly the right thing to do and I'm glad he did it.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #6
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
IceTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:02 PM   #7
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Sylvester Stallone Reveals Plans To Make Film on Jack Johnson

Days after the presidential pardon of Jack Johnson, Sylvester Stallone has announced plans for a biopic on the first African-American heavyweight champion.

Stallone said Wednesday that his newly launched Balboa Productions will start with a film about Johnson. On Thursday, Stallone stood next to President Donald Trump in the Oval Office as he signed a rare posthumous pardon to Johnson, who served 10 months in prison in what Trump called "a racially-motivated injustice."

Trump has said Stallone was instrumental in bringing Johnson's story to his attention.

Stallone's production company said the film will be fast-tracked with Metro Goldwyn Mayer Pictures.

Stallone has said Johnson was the basis for the character Apollo Creed in the "Rocky" films. The 71-year-old actor is currently in production on "Creed II" with MGM.
hamed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:01 PM   #8
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Too late, Sly. James Earl Jones already did "The Great White Hope". The way things are in the old US of A, I don't think folks need reminding of the Lynching Parties Era. If a biopic needs to be done, do one about Joltin' Joe Louis. He helped pave the way for Jackie Robinson and the integration of baseball. Jack Arthur Johnson was all about Jack Arthur Johnson much like James J Corbett was fixated on himself.

Cap
Old 06-03-2018, 08:45 PM   #9
Lee
Global Moderator

I differ there Cap. I have researched Jack extensively and in my opinion Jack was all about being like any other man who had a paler skin color, which is how it should have been. He was a decent musician, purportedly had very good culinary skills, took good care of his Mother and chose to live and love how he pleased. If he changed nothing in the way he lived, except his skin color he would have been celebrated as a hero in his time, likely on the level of Sullivan or Christy Mathewson.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #10
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Christy Mathewson? The 'Christian Gentleman'? Johnson was all about Johnson. A great self-promoter just like Corbett. He screwed around on his wife who then committed suicide. Not that other athletes of the era were saints, but most did not have his wild imagination when it came to his accomplishments outside of the ring. He probably did not deserve to be convicted under the Mann Act but he wasn't any kind of role model either.

Cap
Old 06-04-2018, 06:50 PM   #11
Mugsy
Minors (Triple A)

I don't need to see a bio-pic of Jack Johnson. Like Cap said, already done with James Earl Jones (even if it wasn't an official bio-pic). Plus just watch Unforgiveable Blackness by Ken Burns, which was brilliant.(as was the book the documentary was based on)

And again I agree with Cap, while Johnson should never have been indicted under the Mann Act, he wasn't exactly an angel. But he did patent an improvement to the wrench tool while in prison
Mugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #12
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

I don't know if he was a great guy or louse but that's beside the point. He was a guy of his color doing what he pleased in an era when people of my color saw people of his color doing what they pleased as a personal affront.

That's the beginning and end of his 'crimes'.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #13
Cap
Hall Of Famer

The only 'crime' he committed was robbing Sam Langford, Joe Jeannette and Sam McVea of a shot at the title. Stanley Ketchel, Jim Flynn, Battling Jim Johnson and Frank Moran weren't even in the same class. Johnson was a great fighter but would've gone down as an even greater champion if he had given the top contenders of his day a chance at his title.

Cap

Last edited by Cap; 06-06-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Cap is offline   Reply With Quote