Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:10 PM   #1
Situational_Lefty
Minors (Triple A)

Dominican Rookie League Issue

I am playing the standard MLB setup and I am noticing a lot of recently drafted players being assigned to their team's Dominican Rookie League team. That seems like that would not be happening in real life. Generally a player would be assigned to a Rookie team in Florida or Arizona, or even a short season A ball team to start off with. In my mind, the Dominican Leagues are for your younger, international prospects, not kids drafted out of a US high school or college. Is anyone else seeing the same thing in their league.
Situational_Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
homerj
Minors (Double A)

Yes, and it's fixable.

Issue is in real life, if you're draft eligible you don't qualify for the DSL. But there is no such limitation in the game.

The fix is to make a new region in the world_default.xml file that's all nations, minus the US and Canada. Then you reload it into your league and in the DSL settings, make sure it's set to that region and then under the roster options go "no foreigners". That option will ban everyone in the list that's not in their region...in this case the US and Canada.

Last edited by homerj; 08-02-2017 at 05:22 PM.
homerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:31 AM   #3
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Or for a quicker, dirtier workaround, you can just set the DSL's region in-game to Latin America or The Caribbean. Then you won't be able to have a few of the nations that have guys that play there irl like Holland send players there, but it will keep out the Americans and allow all the Dominican, Venezuelan etc guys.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
TomVeal
All Star Starter

It would be nice if OOTP came with a "draft-ineligible" region. Adding it on one's own is quite a task for the average user.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:37 AM   #5
MikeS21
Minors (Triple A)

I will need to try Lukas's suggestion. Usually if a player is acquired via the draft, or a prospect is acquired via a trade, they are assigned to the "lowest minor league team." And many times the DSL affiliates are considered the "lowest minor league team."

While it would be nice to designate which of your minor league teams to assign players to, Lukas has given us an decent work-around.
MikeS21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:40 AM   #6
eternal
Minors (Single A)

Does this change (either homerj or Lukas') cause any noticeable AI irregularities with the standard MLB start?
eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:56 AM   #7
WIUPIKE
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal View Post
Does this change (either homerj or Lukas') cause any noticeable AI irregularities with the standard MLB start?
I havent seen any of note in from doing what Lukas said in the last two versions.
WIUPIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:03 AM   #8
Mat
All Star Reserve

thx for the advice. always hated that!
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #9
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

I'll have to test it more and talk to Markus/Matt about it in case there might be any unintended consequences, but we might just set things up with the workaround in the quickstart next year to begin with.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:45 PM   #10
Situational_Lefty
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I might try the change the region in game and see if that works. I would try the option of making a new region in the world_default.xml file, but that makes my brain hurt. I tend to find ways to break things if I mess with them too much.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:16 PM   #11
Situational_Lefty
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
Or for a quicker, dirtier workaround, you can just set the DSL's region in-game to Latin America or The Caribbean. Then you won't be able to have a few of the nations that have guys that play there irl like Holland send players there, but it will keep out the Americans and allow all the Dominican, Venezuelan etc guys.
Would you select Caribbean or Latin America when changing the region. I am not entirely sure which countries are considered in what regions in OOTP.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:34 PM   #12
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Situational_Lefty View Post
Would you select Caribbean or Latin America when changing the region. I am not entirely sure which countries are considered in what regions in OOTP.
I'm not exactly sure either but probably Latin America.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:32 PM   #13
homerj
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure either but probably Latin America.
I have a current version of the world_default.xml file with a new region that's everyone who's DSL qualified(everyone minus US, Canada, and the random territories) if it would be helpful.

EDIT: added patch file
Attached Files
File Type: txt world_default_patch.txt (7.2 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by homerj; 08-03-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:27 PM   #14
Situational_Lefty
Minors (Triple A)

Thank you for uploading that file. However, I am not entirely sure what to do with it. I am not to experienced on adjusting the actual files of the game, I normally just customize settings in-game.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:31 AM   #15
oki96
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Do I have to "limit foreigners" under the rules page as well or is editing the league region under leagues & team page enough?

Also is there a way to limit the number of foreigners in a team? I know that the *** only allow 4 foreigners on the active roster.
oki96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:43 AM   #16
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by oki96 View Post
Do I have to "limit foreigners" under the rules page as well or is editing the league region under leagues & team page enough?

Also is there a way to limit the number of foreigners in a team? I know that the *** only allow 4 foreigners on the active roster.
There is a league setting to limit foreigners and another on how many to limit and yeah, you'd need to do that as well for this to work.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #17
homerj
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Situational_Lefty View Post
Thank you for uploading that file. However, I am not entirely sure what to do with it. I am not to experienced on adjusting the actual files of the game, I normally just customize settings in-game.
Sometimes I forget most people are on Windows and don't have things like the diff and patch utilities. You can take everything between and including the <REGION> tags, remove the leading ">" character and just paste that directly into the .xml file.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:32 PM   #18
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Ok, so for this to work, you need to select the "Latin America" region, and then also not allow foreigners?

Is this what I am to gather here?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:59 PM   #19
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Ok, so for this to work, you need to select the "Latin America" region, and then also not allow foreigners?

Is this what I am to gather here?
Yes, that's pretty much the cliff notes version

Old 12-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #20
andyhdz
All Star Starter

Someone mentioned (sorry forgot who) that your international complex serves as a defacto foreign rookie league so having the DSL is a bit redundant. Others after the 1st year have just deleted the league after moving all of the prospects to other farm teams. I don't miss it and it's a lot better to handle the minor league system without it. The Astros had two DSL teams!

-Andy
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote