Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #1
TuckerDuckson
Major Leagues

What do you set age speed at

I've had a problem of players not retiring when they clearly should, like staying in free agency for years and just slowing down my sim. I had to manually retire Mike trout in 2033 at 41, he hasn't had a MLB job in over 4 years.
My aging speed for batters was .875 and pitchers was .925
Oldest pitcher I've seen was a 43 Noah Syndergaard who I also needed to manually retire after he got his 4th flipping TJ surgery.

Plays legit baseball now. My OOTP ratings are low.

2022 update: I'm two stars!
TuckerDuckson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #2
MrWideFrame
Minors (Triple A)

I think the default aging speed is fine. The issue is with player retirements. Maybe that needs to be looked into.
MrWideFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
andyhdz
All Star Starter

I guess it's a matter of perspective. 41 and 43 are definitely on the tail end but they are not beyond the realm of possibility. Yes currently 42 is the top age in real MLB but 44 and beyond has and will happen again. I actually have mine set at .310 following the post's advice by spanish lefty below. I've seen my ages a bit over than what I would like but it's usually 44 or 45 and it's not a ton of players. However the amount of over 40 year olds in my league is still in line with real MLB so I'm ok with it. I think that's the most important part--the amount of players not the actual age.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post4017822
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
I guess it's a matter of perspective. 41 and 43 are definitely on the tail end but they are not beyond the realm of possibility. Yes currently 42 is the top age in real MLB but 44 and beyond has and will happen again. I actually have mine set at .310 following the post's advice by spanish lefty below. I've seen my ages a bit over than what I would like but it's usually 44 or 45 and it's not a ton of players. However the amount of over 40 year olds in my league is still in line with real MLB so I'm ok with it. I think that's the most important part--the amount of players not the actual age.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post4017822
The issue is old players not retiring when the AI is not interested. If an older player is not on the 40 man and not in some MLB games for 2 seasons he should retire. I looked on the baseball cube at recent retirements (30) of long term mlb players not scrubs and find that most have some mlb time in 2014-15. Freddy Sanchez is a notable exception having last played in 2012. He was injured though.

Edit.To clarify , RL players last until 40 because they are very good. OOTP players often last until 40 becoming filler in both majors and minors. That should change.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 06-03-2016 at 12:36 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #5
JMGC
Minors (Single A)

I have mine set at .85 aging, I like having older guys in my leagues and helps all time greats pad their career stats a bit if they stay healthy in their 30s.
JMGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
TuckerDuckson
Major Leagues

I guess my problem is that players are not retiring when they should and it's not the aging, I currently have it at 1.000 and I'll see the thing that's bothering me is that they are just stuck in free agency and that slows down my sim, I just cleared out the 1,000 free agents (I know) to around 300 ish, and you wouldn't believe that atleast half of them were over 38 half star has-beens that should have retired around 3 years ago. My thinking is increasing the aging speed will cause them to break down and maybe retire earlier, I wish the aging system was a tad better where you had your Jamie Moyers, but you also have your Mark Fidrychs.

Plays legit baseball now. My OOTP ratings are low.

2022 update: I'm two stars!
TuckerDuckson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
sprague
All Star Starter

.350 for batters
.450 for pitchers

Same AS i have used the last three ootp releases
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

these are times it's okay to turn commissioner mode on, click some radials in a filtered list and click to retire. if you do it every so often it won't be time-consuming.

you could use age limits, but i'd be afraid of use that on your AAA league, and that doesn't help your major's # of aged FA at all. i think i put 26/25 on my S A and R minor tiers and 28 for A/AA... still testing it out, and have to double check that 28 is when development stops i manual... or is it upto 28 etc.. the minutia escapes me. i'm hoping it clears a "best" path for prospects and prevents aged players in AA and lower.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:30 PM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I'd prefer the game work as designed.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:53 PM   #10
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

It's fine at the default...if you alter from 1.000, you are no longer reflecting modern day baseball.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #11
Spanish Lefty
Minors (Single A)

The default settings are NOT fine.

Check this I wrote with some simulations. Spoiler: .300 for aging speed and 1.350 for dev speed

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post4046099
Spanish Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

if you have a "handful" 40-year-olds in your league, it's probably about right at the top-end at least... distribution is another matter. no idea on batter/pitcher split. assume more batters on average play that long?

("handful" requires research... in 2014, there were only 4 in the majors.)

it may be true that the best distribution, as far as aping real-life, is not where you get a handful of 40-something players. so, it's something that needs some effort to hammer out to that level of sophistication. there's most likely a few good options with various plus/minus attributes.

in general, default works well in this game. outside of 4900HR for modern mlb league total, i don't change much. i can't think of much else that is egregiously off.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:57 AM   #13
ttaka808
Minors (Triple A)

.950 for both. I went from default to .850 to .900 and finally to .950. I think it's a good balance.
ttaka808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:58 AM   #14
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

just a note... ricky henderson is still a "FA" in his mind.

just because they make themselves available doesn't make them a viable choice. the old guys sticking around aren't unusual. rate would be the key... i certainly don't pay enough attention in real life to know any year-to-year data.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:22 PM   #15
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Default works great for me.