Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 11-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #21
wiggins
All Star Reserve

I'm playing a fictional league that is in it's 20th season, and lately I've been thinking about turning my ratings off and going just stats. Any issues I might be missing. Should i keep my defensive ratings on? Are you guys who are using stats only, just looking at defensive metrics?
wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:18 AM   #22
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I just look at results, for defense and everything else: what has the guy actually done? It's like being a real-life GM: you've got the player's HS/college stats, you've got his minor league stats, now, based on those stats and his scouting report, how good a hitter/pitcher/catcher/defender do you think he is, with zero ratings to make your decision for you? Man up and decide.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #23
legofarley
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I just look at results, for defense and everything else: what has the guy actually done? It's like being a real-life GM: you've got the player's HS/college stats, you've got his minor league stats, now, based on those stats and his scouting report, how good a hitter/pitcher/catcher/defender do you think he is, with zero ratings to make your decision for you? Man up and decide.
That description is awesome. Thanks Wolf. I'm going to start a new league just so i can do this.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #24
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Let me warn you: it's hard and it's difficult and it's unfriendly. After you've tried it you may not like it.

Or, you may not like anything else. Only one way to find out, eh?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:13 PM   #25
BigbyWolf
Minors (Double A)

Wolf, do you look at a players Intelligence, work ethic etc.?

If so how much value does it have in drafting or acquiring a player?
BigbyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #26
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Speaking for myself, with work ethic I look at the high school/college stats and look for guys that have improved/declined during their time there. A guy that has gotten significantly better from year 1 to year 3 probably has a good work ethic.

I keep fielding ratings on. It's too hard to determine fielding ratings and speed just by stats alone. You might have a fast guy playing on a team that doesn't run much. I figure too, that you could bring a guy in and see him run a 40 yard dash and get an idea of how he moved in the field IRL, so why not allow that in the game?

I largely look at OBP and OPS. (.500 OBP is my baseline for high schoolers, .550 for a high pick) Everyone has their stat that they look at, but for everything but a top pick I'd rather take a chance on a guy who destroyed his league for 250 AB than a guy who was slightly above average for 500, so that's why I don't use VORP. Along with a high OBP, a prospect needs to have speed, power, super defense or hopefully a combination of the above. I don't want an on base guy who otherwise does nothing.

Yes... 500 AB. I have my feeder leagues play 162 games, which is grueling on the PC, but gives you enough stats that you can do some reasonable drafts.

After the draft I pick up any reliever who can throw 100 mph, and any starter who can throw 96 regardless of stats. Sometimes those guys work out OK through sheer intimidation, especially the relievers.

Altogether it works for me. My minor league system is currently ranked 14th, which is more or less the result I want. My teams, results wise, are like the Yankees over the last 20 years, 88-105 win kind of teams. I win... my team is always in the discussion, but I'm not winning 6 WS in a row and ridiculous stuff like that.

With trades, I leave it on average and limit myself to trading only in the offseason (pre draft, my drafts are on 4/1) and only for guys in A ball and below. I leave trade difficulty on average - to me, the hard settings where the AI expects to get my closer and my HOF quality C for a mid range prospect are more ridiculous than anything I see on average difficulty. I don't want hard. I want realistic. And average level seems to be closest to that.
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #27
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigbyWolf View Post
Wolf, do you look at a players Intelligence, work ethic etc.?

If so how much value does it have in drafting or acquiring a player?
Cousin, I have turned all the personality stuff off.

Last edited by The Wolf; 03-24-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #28
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

I was gonna call you a ruffian but...for some reason I got sceered. Best not to push my luck.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #29
legofarley
Major Leagues

A questions for you stats veterans:

I always see you guys suggesting that you run a new league for 5 years as a spectator before taking over as a GM. What if I just spend 5 years as a minor league manager before I take a GM job? Any reason why that would be a bad idea?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #30
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by legofarley View Post
A questions for you stats veterans:

I always see you guys suggesting that you run a new league for 5 years as a spectator before taking over as a GM. What if I just spend 5 years as a minor league manager before I take a GM job? Any reason why that would be a bad idea?
Really, the only reason that's the standard idea is so that you'll have stats to base your decisions off of. If you're feeling ambitious and want to field a team with no knowledge of how they perform, you could just jump right in after league creation.

That said, if you'd be acting as manager-only, then you would just have to field the players given to you anyway, so it could definitely work. If you want to spend the time doing that, then go right ahead. I personally would find that rather boring, but everyone plays their own way.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #31
The Game
Hall Of Famer

I did not want to hijack Cras' Stats only thread so I will ask here.
Mostly questions for The Wolf since I know he is the major proponent of Stats Only. But feel free to chime in. I don't get the fun of playing stats only.

1. Do you use stats only for all leagues or just a certain type?
2. How do you know who can play which positions? How am I to know that a 3B is better suited in LF/RF or 1B?
3. How do you figure out who is your fastest player?
4. How do you know what pitches a pitcher throws?
5. how do you tell what his stamina is?
6. On average how many draft picks in a given year will even get a cup of coffee at the ML level?
7. What are the disadvantages to playing SO?
8. I am having a hard enough time winning with my Chicago Fire having 4 of 5 losing seasons with full ratings an excellent scout and me on steroids. Why should I switch to playing a style that appears to be harder? My scout has been wrong on 3 1st round draft picks so far.

i'll have more questions once some answers come in.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 AM   #32
andymac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
1. Do you use stats only for all leagues or just a certain type?
I don't think the type of league has much to do with it. I play stats only for any league that I am going to devote some time to. If you want to play fast and don't want to look hard at the stats, it probably isn't for you.

Quote:
2. How do you know who can play which positions? How am I to know that a 3B is better suited in LF/RF or 1B?
3. How do you figure out who is your fastest player?
4. How do you know what pitches a pitcher throws?
5. how do you tell what his stamina is?
Now, I know that The Wolf is different on this, but I play with the Other ratings on 1-5. To me, these are things that you should have some info on.

Quote:
6. On average how many draft picks in a given year will even get a cup of coffee at the ML level?
I'm not really sure exactly what it is you are looking for here. Are you talking about a guy getting drafted and brought up in the same year? I don't have any data, but that happens rarely for me.

Quote:
7. What are the disadvantages to playing SO?
It is more time consuming I guess, but really if you turn out to be someone who enjoys playing the game this way it is because you don't feel there are any.

Quote:
8. I am having a hard enough time winning with my Chicago Fire having 4 of 5 losing seasons with full ratings an excellent scout and me on steroids. Why should I switch to playing a style that appears to be harder? My scout has been wrong on 3 1st round draft picks so far.
Well, to me the biggest thing is that it is more realistic as far as how a GM has to approach things. However, if you are already struggling with the game it may not be for you. Of course, you never really know unless you give it a try.

FTB: andymac
andymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #33
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymac View Post
I don't think the type of league has much to do with it. I play stats only for any league that I am going to devote some time to. If you want to play fast and don't want to look hard at the stats, it probably isn't for you.
For leagues that I enjoy I play out 90% of my games. I play until I am 10 games ahead/behind after the ASG. If I dominate, I don't play until the playoffs, if I am just Ok I play all 162.

Quote:
Now, I know that The Wolf is different on this, but I play with the Other ratings on 1-5. To me, these are things that you should have some info on.
What ratings do you keep on and why 1-5 vs 1-10 which is what I normally use.

Quote:
I'm not really sure exactly what it is you are looking for here. Are you talking about a guy getting drafted and brought up in the same year? I don't have any data, but that happens rarely for me.
Getting drafted say in 2000 and coming up at any point in the next 10 years for your team. Are you able to build successfully through the draft or are you forced to rely on FA and trades?

Quote:
It is more time consuming I guess, but really if you turn out to be someone who enjoys playing the game this way it is because you don't feel there are any.
K

Quote:
Well, to me the biggest thing is that it is more realistic as far as how a GM has to approach things. However, if you are already struggling with the game it may not be for you. Of course, you never really know unless you give it a try.
I gave it a try one time on a fictional 8 team league starting in 2000. After ST my team was 2-22. I played the 1st 10 games and was 0-10. I used Inaugural Draft. This was on 12.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #34
andymac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
What ratings do you keep on and why 1-5 vs 1-10 which is what I normally use.
The "Other Ratings" option turns on all of the non-core ratings. So, you get speed, defense, stamina, pitches, etc. I put them on the lowest spread because I still want as much cloudiness as I can create.

Quote:
Getting drafted say in 2000 and coming up at any point in the next 10 years for your team. Are you able to build successfully through the draft or are you forced to rely on FA and trades?
Honestly, I let my scout handle the draft. So, I am essentially in the same boat as the AI teams when it comes to the draft. I feel this makes things a bit harder for me (which I like). You can still build through the draft, but it takes a little luck and you want to hire a good scout. To me, it is much too easy to build through the draft if you do it yourself and with potential ratings available to you, I don't want to always have the best farm system I want to have to deal with my drafts not working out a lot of the time.

Quote:
I gave it a try one time on a fictional 8 team league starting in 2000. After ST my team was 2-22. I played the 1st 10 games and was 0-10. I used Inaugural Draft. This was on 12.
I don't do inaugural drafts. If I am using fictional players I sim out 3 seasons and then take over a team from there. If you want to do an inaugral draft, I would recommend simming 1-3 seasons first and then releasing everyone for a new draft, that then gives you stats to evaluate the players on.

FTB: andymac

Last edited by andymac; 03-25-2013 at 04:50 PM.
andymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #35
waitwut
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
This is how I play stats-only:

AI Eval: 0/67/22/11 - make sure you check the box for overall rating based on AI evaluation

Scouts on, normal

HS and college feeder leagues so there are stats to base the draft on

Batter aging: .250
Batter dev.: 1.000
Pitcher aging: .375
Pitcher dev.: .900
TCR: 67
I never thought to ask, but are the aging and dev speeds for the parent league or for the feeder leagues?
waitwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #36
Poo Tee Weet
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Starting a stats only league...

A question for all the stats only people:

I imagine you look at the written scouting reports? How are those any different from the scout rating numbers, which are turned off? If the report says 'Guy has 50+ HR power' isn't that the same as a 20/20 power rating?

Now, lets say its free agent time and I have two players, same age, same everything. Ratings both say 20/20 power and scouting reports say the same. In the last three years, player A has hit 20, 21, 18 homers. Player B hit 45, 40, 43 homers. I'm going player B. In effect, I'm playing 'stats only' because I'm looking at the stats.

I'm not using TRUE ratings, I'm just using SCOUTS ratings. The only thing I can see scouts only doing is taking more time to find a scouts opinion of a player.

Also, lets take a situation that happens in real life. Player Z has consistently hit well, hit for power, stole bases, etc. well into his 30s. One year in spring training he shows up 40 pounds overweight and anyone can tell he's no longer a good ball player. Your head scout would call you and say 'hey, player Z is now longer worth the salary.' With scout ratings on, his numbers would decrease and I'd notice immediately and is keep an eye on things. Without those numbers I'd be none the wiser. Realistic? No. Challenging? Sure. But it's playing blind.

So I don't get the stats only thing going on. Everybody *should* be looking at stats, even with real ratings being shown since performance is what matters. Scouting ratings are just a snapshot of the scouting reports. Adding time just makes things obtuse, not fun. So, what's the fun?
Old 07-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #37
Zweiblumen
Major Leagues

I don't know if you're still monitoring this thread, Wolf, but I'm curious as to whether the settings you used in v13 are the same ones you now use in v14?

Also curious as to why the aging modifiers are so low? What effect does that really have? Not much about the aging parameters in the manual.
Zweiblumen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #38
giantsfan777
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Pitchers

Hey guys,

I love the way the stats turn out with the league settings we have here, my only problem is that I only seem to get around 2 300-game winners every 100 years. I'd like this to be something around the live-ball era number of 13. Should I do this simply by raising pitching stamina? Should I also have the engine not use relievers so much too?

Unrelated to stat-only simming, how do I get rid of the "Nicknames" for the players? Do I simply delete the nicknames file? Or will that make it so that some sort of error happens?
giantsfan777 is offline   Reply With Quote