Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 05-10-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
omgimasian
Minors (Double A)

Stephen Strasburg

Is Strasburg too highly rated? From 2012-2019 he has won consecutive Cy Young Awards including a 25-3 and a 23-8 records and winning the triple crown four times. He looks likely to win another Cy Young this year with a 20-2 record and 2.65 era.

Even so, I have just signed him to a four year 15 million dollar contract.

In comparison, RIck Porcello with ERAs of 4.37, 5.11, and 4.16 and a year older refuses my initial contract of 14 million.

While I'm all for having a strong ace, it's hard to imagine anyone IRL would would accept so little money after such strong seasons.

Perhaps you guys could either reduce his stats or increase his salary demands in accordance to his pitching ability.

If you guys end up doing this I just know that I will end up hating myself when I can't afford his 28 million a year contract

Oops, didn't know there was a suggestions subforum since I saw some suggestions here too XD, don't know how to delete thread though

Last edited by omgimasian; 05-10-2011 at 08:39 PM.
omgimasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
RBLwebguy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgimasian View Post
Is Strasburg too highly rated? From 2012-2019 he has won consecutive Cy Young Awards including a 25-3 and a 23-8 records and winning the triple crown four times. He looks likely to win another Cy Young this year with a 20-2 record and 2.65 era.

Even so, I have just signed him to a four year 15 million dollar contract.

In comparison, RIck Porcello with ERAs of 4.37, 5.11, and 4.16 and a year older refuses my initial contract of 14 million.

While I'm all for having a strong ace, it's hard to imagine anyone IRL would would accept so little money after such strong seasons.

Perhaps you guys could either reduce his stats or increase his salary demands in accordance to his pitching ability.

If you guys end up doing this I just know that I will end up hating myself when I can't afford his 28 million a year contract

Oops, didn't know there was a suggestions subforum since I saw some suggestions here too XD, don't know how to delete thread though
I tried to trade for him :P to no avail!
RBLwebguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
omgimasian
Minors (Double A)

Yep. He won again -__-
Attached Images
Old 05-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

I don't think it's a problem. He is really good, so what? It's also impossible to trade for him...which is realistic. In fact the only way I was ever able to trade for him was to trade Pujols and a prospect....which is a huge trade.
magicspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
omgimasian
Minors (Double A)

I'm saying that he's good AND too cheap, I'm not complaining now since he's on my team but 9 consecutive cy young awards is TOO good especially for a player with a third of year of pitching experience. And I'm not saying anything about him being impossible to trade for since he's on my team but with pitchers rated 71/80 with eras hovering around 4.00 asking for 22 million, a superstar pitcher with 9 consecutive years of cy youngs with at least 5 more years in his prime would NOT sign for just 15,000,000.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:46 AM   #6
connmen
Bat Boy

I managed to get Strasburg for Yunel Escobar, Kyle Drabek and CJ Wilson (free agent signing by Jays after year one).
connmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:57 AM   #7
omgimasian
Minors (Double A)

how is he doing on your team?
Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
The first time I got him he completely dominated. The second time I just decided to start with Washington so I wouldn't have to trade for him. He suffered a career ending setback while on the DL in the first season and never pitched an inning for me
Old 05-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
connmen
Bat Boy

Quote:
He was pedestrian in his first start. Good strikeout numbers in his second start which he won. Then was average for a couple of starts before my game save crashed and I had to start all over again.
connmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
chort
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicspeedo View Post
The first time I got him he completely dominated. The second time I just decided to start with Washington so I wouldn't have to trade for him. He suffered a career ending setback while on the DL in the first season and never pitched an inning for me
Foreshadowing of real life?

He's on the DL for the rest of the year in my game. I'm going to wait until the off-season and try to trade A-Rod for him.
chort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chort View Post
Foreshadowing of real life?

He's on the DL for the rest of the year in my game. I'm going to wait until the off-season and try to trade A-Rod for him.
I doubt you will be able to get him for just A-Rod. You will probably have to give up a good prospect too. He's worth it though. Dominates the game like Clemens did.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
chort
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
I doubt you will be able to get him for just A-Rod. You will probably have to give up a good prospect too. He's worth it though. Dominates the game like Clemens did.
Oh yeah, figured that would be assumed. I've been doing fairly well at bundling disposables together to get single prospects. I do that 2-3 times and have as many good prospects to trade for a proven quantity.

The downside is my farm system is now lacking depth. I'm going to need to figure out how to reload... maybe someone will take Burnett off my hands
Old 05-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #13
omgimasian
Minors (Double A)

yeah... it's tough to play as the yankees because of the no trade clauses though. You can't trade A rod for him, because he makes way too much money and is too old XD

i signed pujols in my second season for the sake of trading him for strasburg, gave them pujols and monetero for strasburg and Werth to offset the costs for them
Old 05-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #14
chort
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
yeah... it's tough to play as the yankees because of the no trade clauses though. You can't trade A rod for him, because he makes way too much money and is too old XD

i signed pujols in my second season for the sake of trading him for strasburg, gave them pujols and monetero for strasburg and Werth to offset the costs for them
Ooooh, that's really good thinking. They already tried to send me Werth + prospect for Sabathia + prospect and of course I rejected. I'll have to see if they still have Werth.

Yes, not being able to trade the vets is annoying, especially with the bug in Jeter's contract I guess I'll have to just eat it since I don't want to start a new season (after the update) just to get rid of that contract. Sigh.

Who else has no-trade? So far Jeter, Posada... was thinking there was one more I tried to ship and couldn't...
Old 05-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #15
omgimasian
Minors (Double A)

Mariano
Jeder
Posada
A-Rod

that's 72 million dollars per year right there.

then theres burnett and silva taking up 24 million

much more trading flexibility when you're playing with the angels though
Old 05-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #16
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Who else has no-trade? So far Jeter, Posada... was thinking there was one more I tried to ship and couldn't...
Michael Young

Is it really a bug? I mean, they probably have no trade clauses in their real contracts anyway.

I was eventually able to trade Young even with his no trade clause. I just demoted him to minors for a year. Pissed him off and he let me trade him.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #17
omgimasian
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Michael Young

Is it really a bug? I mean, they probably have no trade clauses in their real contracts anyway.

I was eventually able to trade Young even with his no trade clause. I just demoted him to minors for a year. Pissed him off and he let me trade him.
lolno, it's not a no trade clause, the 10/5 rule means if the player has played for 10 years and has been with the same team for 5 years he can veto a trade
Old 05-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #18
chort
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Michael Young

Haha, no it's not a bug (Jeter's contract being until he's 46 is a bug).

That's another great idea how to get past a player's wishes (pissing them off with demotion). Clearly I've barely scratched the surface with creativity.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #19
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Haha, no it's not a bug (Jeter's contract being until he's 46 is a bug).

That's another great idea how to get past a player's wishes (pissing them off with demotion). Clearly I've barely scratched the surface with creativity.
I'm not a baseball guy. I'm a soccer guy. So a lot of my Football Manager (basically iOOTP for soccer) skills have translated to iOOTP. Because of that I tend to approach managing a baseball club very differently from how people normally manage a club.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #20
Nighthawk42
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by connmen View Post
I managed to get Strasburg for Yunel Escobar, Kyle Drabek and CJ Wilson (free agent signing by Jays after year one).
I'm a big wheeler-dealer both at the start of the game and in the off-season. So you'll just have to trust me that I did this with the Phillies after the first season:

SP John Lester (took Roy Oswalt to get him)
SP Brandon Beachy
2B Brian Roberts
to Washington for

SP Stephen Strasburg
MR Todd Coffey
RF Jack Cust
to Philadelphia

Since then, Cust was a part of a 3-for-1 with SF to get Lincecum. :-)
Nighthawk42 is offline   Reply With Quote