Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:20 AM   #1
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Base Running 'score'

Can anyone tell me how the base running value is calculated so I know whether to ignore it or adjust somethings to improve it?
Attached Images

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:39 PM   #2
chazzycat
All Star Starter

It's UBR, so basically the non-stealing component of baserunning. Taking extra bases when possible and not running into outs. The baserunning aggressiveness slider is probably a good place to start looking for improvement.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
It's UBR, so basically the non-stealing component of baserunning. Taking extra bases when possible and not running into outs. The baserunning aggressiveness slider is probably a good place to start looking for improvement.
OK, I'm still not familiar with UBR beyond German for "Super" & that crazy anti-hitch-hiking psuedo-cab service but I understand what you're saying after that...Thanks!

Old 01-15-2020, 02:29 PM   #4
chazzycat
All Star Starter

The Fangraphs glossary is super helpful for advanced stats.

More details available here: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/ultimate...unning-primer/
Old 01-15-2020, 05:22 PM   #5
pappyzan
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Great Matrix View Post
OK, I'm still not familiar with UBR beyond German for "Super" & that crazy anti-hitch-hiking psuedo-cab service but I understand what you're saying after that...Thanks!
Player UBR and BSR statistics are both displayed within each player's Expanded Batting Stats view, so you can see which players need their individual Base-Running slider adjusted up/down.
pappyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:08 PM   #6
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Thanks, pappyzan...Does their baserunning rating sometimes take precedent? Only so much you can do for some players? I would guess it does...now that I'm typing it...still, do you find that you can get a decent UBR rating for a player who is dead red in that department or is it like a player who strikes out where there is only so much you can do?

Well, I'll talk to you later.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:29 PM   #7
pappyzan
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Great Matrix View Post
Thanks, pappyzan...Does their baserunning rating sometimes take precedent? Only so much you can do for some players? I would guess it does...now that I'm typing it...still, do you find that you can get a decent UBR rating for a player who is dead red in that department or is it like a player who strikes out where there is only so much you can do?

Well, I'll talk to you later.
Moving their individual sliders will help no matter how low their Baserunning rating is. For instance, 100 Boudreau is as slow as they come and has a Baserunning rating of 21. I've set his slider to the left a few spaces because he sucks running the bases, and both of his BR stats are currently 1.1. However, Griffey's BR rating is higher and so is his slider, but both of his BR stats are currently negative even though his BR rating is much higher.

No idea how much BR stats come into play from game to game, but chances are they're like all other individual/team sliders where setting them to what works best for your player/team may win you a few more games each season. But could also just be all luck, who knows really.
pappyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:32 PM   #8
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyzan View Post
Moving their individual sliders will help no matter how low their Baserunning rating is. For instance, 100 Boudreau is as slow as they come and has a Baserunning rating of 21. I've set his slider to the left a few spaces because he sucks running the bases, and both of his BR stats are currently 1.1. However, Griffey's BR rating is higher and so is his slider, but both of his BR stats are currently negative even though his BR rating is much higher.

No idea how much BR stats come into play from game to game, but chances are they're like all other individual/team sliders where setting them to what works best for your player/team may win you a few more games each season. But could also just be all luck, who knows really.

Well, I sat out sweating the small stuff last season/week & the other team enjoyed hit parades like they wouldn't have been able to otherwise... So yeah, it can win you a few games. I'm still kind of learning offense.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:21 AM   #9
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Something worked, chazzycat.
Although I didn't have a lot of extra-base hits today.

Thanks for the further info, pappyzan.
I heard about your father. I don't know, but no one can know exactly how you feel.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2020, 08:33 AM   #10
Hertston
Major Leagues

Quote:
The Fangraphs glossary is super helpful for advanced stats.

More details available here: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/ultimate...unning-primer/
So, am I right in assuming that if you were lucky enough to have a lineup composed entirely of home run hitters with low base-running and speed stats (except maybe a fast high OBP guy leading off), this stat will be diabolical whatever you do, and it's best just to ignore it?
Old 01-16-2020, 11:59 AM   #11
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hertston View Post
So, am I right in assuming that if you were lucky enough to have a lineup composed entirely of home run hitters with low base-running and speed stats (except maybe a fast high OBP guy leading off), this stat will be diabolical whatever you do, and it's best just to ignore it?
Funny you should ask - I have a couple teams like that myself. Actually, you can significantly limit the damage these guys cause by lowering their aggressiveness all the way down. They won't be gaining extra bases, but won't be losing them either. Also, when it comes to HR, it doesn't really matter which base the runner is on. So the value of taking extra bases is diminished a bit simply by having more power in your lineup.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #12
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Funny you should ask - I have a couple teams like that myself. Actually, you can significantly limit the damage these guys cause by lowering their aggressiveness all the way down. They won't be gaining extra bases, but won't be losing them either. Also, when it comes to HR, it doesn't really matter which base the runner is on. So the value of taking extra bases is diminished a bit simply by having more power in your lineup.
Yeah, it's one stat that you need to think a little what it means. Because keep in mind, just because a guy is a good baserunner, if you're too aggressive and he gets thrown out on the base paths, that's a big negative to the score.

But obviously it depends on the lineup. If you have Henderson batting ahead of Ichiro and Ozzie Smith, it might be worth it to have him be a little more aggressive even if he gets thrown out on the bases, since it's not like they're going to hit very many HR to drive him in. But too aggressive and again, you're just running into outs.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:26 PM   #13
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

I haven't had GREAT success or anything because I didn't get into it...but when I did...& I went from 10th or 11th to 4th in the conference in a month, I basically looked at speed...figured I'd increase the fast runners aggressiveness a bit and decrease the slower runners. Does speed even apply to basepaths, though? Seems like it does. Seemed to help. The really fast players seem to get away with a little extra aggressiveness, & I set all the slow-pokes to conservative.