Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 11-21-2019, 09:13 AM   #1
GlassGuyBob
Minors (Double A)

Sealed pack tournament idea

Mimicking the Magic: The Gathering Limited format, I thought it would be awesome to have a tournament where you have to build a team from a sealed pack pool.

The idea would be that you have to pay for the packs you open for your pool of players, so the entry would be 10000PP if it's a 10 pack event, etc. It may be better for it to be 15 or 20 packs to make sure people have enough options, I'm not sure.

You would open your packs and only those cards would be available in your reserve roster to build your team. You would have maybe 1 hour to build your team and set your roster and then play a tournament.

It seems like a really fun way to open packs and I would definitely spend too much money playing these.

GlassGuyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:34 AM   #2
Litty
Minors (Double A)

While intriguing, and sorta like how MLB The Show does Battle Royale, the dev team has said that they won't be introducing entry fees or any gambling like elements to tournament mode.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litty View Post
While intriguing, and sorta like how MLB The Show does Battle Royale, the dev team has said that they won't be introducing entry fees or any gambling like elements to tournament mode.
Still, you could have no entry fee and receive "x" number of starter packs and the cards go away after the tourney for use in the tourney but the cards go away at the end of it.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #4
Litty
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
Still, you could have no entry fee and receive "x" number of starter packs and the cards go away after the tourney for use in the tourney but the cards go away at the end of it.
I would be very much in favour of draft/pack challenge tournament mode.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litty View Post
This is completely different. Gambling is turning a 10K entry fee into 80K by taking the other 7 players PP. For 10K PP you are just buying 10 packs then the chance to play a free tournament with them.

I think it would be ok but mostly luck. You don't have to consider any synergies like in a deck building draft.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
This is completely different. Gambling is turning a 10K entry fee into 80K by taking the other 7 players PP. For 10K PP you are just buying 10 packs then the chance to play a free tournament with them.

I think it would be ok but mostly luck. You don't have to consider any synergies like in a deck building draft.
It's still gambling because someone may have paid cash for his points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
A massive 256 player tournament like this and the winner gets to keep his cards. Oh, the anguish not win when you draw Peak Pedro.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #7
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

What? Something doesn't become or not become gambling based on how the stake was acquired...
Old 11-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #8
xekyn92
Bat Boy

I think a tournament type where each participant builds a team from random packs would be a ton of fun, especially if the winner gets to keep a card or something along those lines.

Either that or a draft mode, where the draft is populated by cards randomly drawn from packs, but that may be difficult to do with too many participants.
xekyn92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #9
FlaviusFlav
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xekyn92 View Post
I think a tournament type where each participant builds a team from random packs would be a ton of fun, especially if the winner gets to keep a card or something along those lines.

Either that or a draft mode, where the draft is populated by cards randomly drawn from packs, but that may be difficult to do with too many participants.
Winner keeps the cards they don't use.. now that's some spicy game theory.

FlaviusFlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:59 PM   #10
GlassGuyBob
Minors (Double A)

It would not be gambling, as you would just be opening packs and entering a tournament. The tournament rewards would be the same as an event with no cost to enter. It would just be a fun way to open packs.

Old 11-22-2019, 05:16 AM   #11
Litty
Minors (Double A)

Okay, I might have misunderstood the OP but the way I read the original proposal was that you paid 10K to enter the tournament and then were given 10 packs and had to build a team from what you got.

No-one is stopping you from buying 10 packs and entering a tournament with the players you pulled because that's essentially just an open tournament given that you could pull anything from Iron to Perfect fro those packs. But I don't see how you could make a tournament that knows you you are using players you pulled from packs unless you imposed the 10K fee as an entry to the tournament.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #12
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Paying 10K and then getting 10 packs is the same as buying ten packs...

It's not an "entry fee" because you are already getting the cards that you bought
Old 11-22-2019, 12:14 PM   #13
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Honestly, it doesn't matter what any of us think. What matters is how the laws are written, interpreted, and enforced, and what legal risks OOTP is willing to accept.

With loot boxes having a dubious legal standing in some countries, OOTP may want to avoid anything that could even approach that. Sure, they could toe the line and find a way to make it work legally, but why would a small studio want to spend that money on the lawyers needed to make sure they were doing things in a legally acceptable manner when it won't be a significant improvement over other less ambiguous options?

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 05:28 PM   #14
GlassGuyBob
Minors (Double A)

What laws are you even talking about? I'm 100% sure you have no clue what you're taking about. These laws don't exist.

The most popular online games run this model. Magic, Hearthstone, etc. Magic has had an online client doing sealed events for 20 years, plus their tournaments have entry fees higher than the cost of the packs.

Old 11-23-2019, 05:41 PM   #15
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Great concept, but in practice probably not very fun. These ideas work in HS and Magic because building and piloting a deck are two separate components that each matter a lot in terms of who wins the tournament. Additionally, you very rarely have cards that are strictly better than one another; the vast majority of the time, the cards fill different roles in different builds. In OOTP, the "piloting" component of the game is a lot less prominent, and more frequently you'll see pulls that are just strictly better versions of cards (especially true with pitching). I think cap tourneys are a lot more promising as the limited format of choice.

I would still absolutely play this mode, of course. Maybe it might even convince me to spend PP on packs. But I think it'd be more of a gimmick than a real mode.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:19 PM   #16
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGuyBob View Post
What laws are you even talking about? I'm 100% sure you have no clue what you're taking about. These laws don't exist.

The most popular online games run this model. Magic, Hearthstone, etc. Magic has had an online client doing sealed events for 20 years, plus their tournaments have entry fees higher than the cost of the packs.
These laws do exist. My analysis and conclusions may be wrong, but there is no need to make things personal and attack my intelligence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loot_b...nd_legislation

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:13 PM   #17
Pine Tar
Minors (Double A)

Tournaments that cost more to enter than the best prize to be won will only appeal to whales. That said if enough players want that kind of tournament then make it available. Supply and demand should be the order of the day.

Pine
Pine Tar is offline   Reply With Quote