Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:49 PM   #1
risp2out
All Star Reserve

Why I Love 18

This:
Attached Images
risp2out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:08 PM   #2
risp2out
All Star Reserve

The whole 3D experience is now so immersive. Thanks team OOTP!

And, a special shout out to Silvam and Adion who made the ballpark and added in the crowds and backgrounds, respectively. I don't even know/remember who all made the historical facegens and the grand catalogue of historical logos and jerseys. But, to all of the great and talented and generous OOTP community who contributed to all of the details in that picture, you're the best.

(Now, get out my way. I need to lose another 100 hours of my life to this game.)
Old 05-03-2017, 08:53 AM   #3
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

wow, how in the world do you get so close?

What i would love, is to have that view and if a ball pops higher than the top frame, for it to zoom out

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Yes, I never thought I would say this, but I love those pawns and the 3D ballpark experience.

I still prefer the classic pawns. I hope they will always offer this option, as it "gets the job done" without shading over into resource-draining and ultimately repetitive animation. I think it was High Heat, that image of the 2B jumping up to complete the DP. Over and over again.

I know it will not stay this way - time and innovation march on - but I would be forever content at this level of animation while the game progressed on other fronts.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #5
risp2out
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
wow, how in the world do you get so close?

What i would love, is to have that view and if a ball pops higher than the top frame, for it to zoom out
Well, it depends on the park, of course. This is (more or less) my typical approach. Go into "Settings," then "Edit Ballpark," then "3D Model." Upload the model you want. Then I take these steps: First, I use the mouse wheel to tilt the park forward slightly. Then, under "Move View," I click + on Z a couple of times and - on Y one time. If necessary (depends on the park), I use the mouse wheel to scroll myself "inside" the park. From there, it's just a matter of tilt and scroll until I find the views that I like.

NOTE: Using - on the Y-axis, you get the field closer to the bottom of the screen. There are some pop ups and a few high-flies that arc above the top of the screen, but you can follow them with the ball shadow and the fielders' movements. For me, the detail on the uniforms and on the pitches in the "super-close, super-wide" view is worth it. There's no view that's perfect, but I think it's fun to create several and then watch/manage games from different places. I've even played around with "umpire view."
Attached Images

Last edited by risp2out; 05-03-2017 at 11:39 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 05-03-2017, 10:18 AM   #6
skunkle333
All Star Reserve

Excellent look. If I could figure out how to get that on my 32" screen I would really be tempted to get OOTP18 again. But I'm 72 and setting things up and playing game by game is just so detailed and for me sometimes so complicated that I gave up and reluctantly got a refund. But I still keep a close eye out on the game.
Your stadium with the players close-up and the full detailed player stats box looks terrific.

Don't forget to try PStrickert's great 1959 World Series Quickstart Mod for V12 & V11 !! At Padresfan's site.
skunkle333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:23 AM   #7
risp2out
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkle333 View Post
Excellent look. If I could figure out how to get that on my 32" screen I would really be tempted to get OOTP18 again. But I'm 72 and setting things up and playing game by game is just so detailed and for me sometimes so complicated that I gave up and reluctantly got a refund. But I still keep a close eye out on the game.
Your stadium with the players close-up and the full detailed player stats box looks terrific.
All I did was set it up. The REAL work was done by all the amazing modders who make the stadiums, uniforms, logos, etc. And, of course, by Marcus and Co. for improving the game every year.

You know what would be helpful is if someone would make a video to show folks how to add all of the mods. I may be able to make something like that in Camtasia (in a month or two, I'm slammed at work). If there is a community member who is good at voice-over/screen capture videos and could throw something together, it might be a great thing for users like this.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #8
risp2out
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Yes, I never thought I would say this, but I love those pawns and the 3D ballpark experience.

I still prefer the classic pawns. I hope they will always offer this option, as it "gets the job done" without shading over into resource-draining and ultimately repetitive animation. I think it was High Heat, that image of the 2B jumping up to complete the DP. Over and over again.

I know it will not stay this way - time and innovation march on - but I would be forever content at this level of animation while the game progressed on other fronts.
The first couple of years with 3D parks (but no player/pawn animations), I was totally uninterested, and quickly went back to static field and text PBP. Last year, the pawns changed everything. Personally, this year is another "great leap forward." No more pawn-y pawns for me. Haha. I haven't grown tired of the animations yet. Even back in the old "text" days, once you played enough, you got used to seeing the same phrases over and over. Just doesn't get under my skin, I guess.

Now, I will say that one thing I'd really like to see is PBP that is keyed to the action, but adds more "color" before, after, and between pitches would enhance immersion. For the time being, I like animation so much that "short PBP" is worth it, but a more expansive "verbal" aspect combined with the action on the field would knock me out. (In my mind, Vin Scully is always calling my OOTP games, anyway, and man, could he tell stories as the game went along.)
Old 05-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
zigyzig
Minors (Double A)

How do you get close on the 3D view? Instructions, game settings or stadium settings, etc.?
zigyzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:25 AM   #10
Coltrane
Minors (Triple A)

The top right hand part of screen in first pic looks like it might say "super wide". Is that a real setting?
Coltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:29 AM   #11
risp2out
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigyzig View Post
How do you get close on the 3D view? Instructions, game settings or stadium settings, etc.?
See post #5 in this thread.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:31 AM   #12
risp2out
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltrane View Post
The top right hand part of screen in first pic looks like it might say "super wide". Is that a real setting?
It's a setting I made. When I load up a 3D stadium, I make several different views and just label them in a way that I'll remember what they are. That's one of mine.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:41 AM   #13
Coltrane
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by risp2out View Post
It's a setting I made. When I load up a 3D stadium, I make several different views and just label them in a way that I'll remember what they are. That's one of mine.
I had ZERO knowledge that this was even possible. This changes EVERYTHING. You sir just packed on at least 20 hours of editing time for me this week and I can't thank you enough
Coltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:45 AM   #14
risp2out
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltrane View Post
I had ZERO knowledge that this was even possible. This changes EVERYTHING. You sir just packed on at least 20 hours of editing time for me this week and I can't thank you enough
You're welcome, and GREAT username, btw. (I live in NYC and I still go see live jazz at least 2-3x a month. 'Trane forever!)
Old 05-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #15
highandoutside
All Star Reserve

Wow, that view is great! Since I manage my games, I would love to see if I can mimic the view from the dugout. I messed around with the settings and couldn't figure it out -- I'll have to try again.
highandoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #16
risp2out
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by highandoutside View Post
Wow, that view is great! Since I manage my games, I would love to see if I can mimic the view from the dugout. I messed around with the settings and couldn't figure it out -- I'll have to try again.
Yeah, the dugout is tough because you can't really control the direction of your "gaze," so it's very difficult to see down the baseline of whichever side you're on. You can easily place yourself in the dugout, but I haven't been able to get a scan of the field that I like from there. Every once in a while, I think it's fun to "sit" in the bleachers or stands, but I find that I come back to a behind-home-plate view, and from there, adjust in-out/up-down.