Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:43 AM   #1
TuckerDuckson
Major Leagues

Feilding ratings needed to change positions?

I'm thinking about turning Kris Bryant into a shortstop, while he has the arm for it (75) idk if he has the turn DP for it, which is 40 can he play SS?

I'm also wondering if you guys have the rating needed to play each position, like I know to play 3B you need more Arm rather than turn DP, while 1B requires less range and more into infield error. Same with the outfield, CF needs range, RF is less range and more arm, and anyone can play left

Any ideas on the ratings

Plays legit baseball now. My OOTP ratings are low.

2022 update: I'm two stars!
TuckerDuckson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:30 AM   #2
ThePretender
All Star Starter

He's got to be strong across the board for SS - ideally 70+ on everything and preferably some 80's there too. I wouldn't want a SS with such a low turn DP.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #3
MrWideFrame
Minors (Triple A)

Do not play Kris Bryant at SS, it will be a disaster.
MrWideFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #4
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

If you want to try him at SS, play him there during spring training. That's when he'll learn the fastest. If his ratings don't go up much after spring training, then he'll never learn it.
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:16 PM   #5
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

People learn faster during spring training? What do you base that on? How much faster?
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

it could make sense. they definitely do more instructional stuff in ST than during a 162g schedule with 1 day off out of 10. although playing the games is something, too.

either way, ST has no ramifications if it is a bad result. if you want to learn the minimums of each position, turn commissioner mode on and go edit some trash player you don't care about and can delete afterward or use a throw-away restored backup... make a spreadsheet or write them down etc.

as far as kris bryant at ss... you're going to lose out on a few double plays... and who knows how many turn into errors. you could always test it in a throw-away league, too. chalk it up to a learning experience. no real-life manager would put kris bryant in at SS, but that doesn't mean they are right... but they probably are in this case.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:25 PM   #7
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerDuckson View Post
I'm thinking about turning Kris Bryant into a shortstop, while he has the arm for it (75) idk if he has the turn DP for it, which is 40 can he play SS?

I'm also wondering if you guys have the rating needed to play each position, like I know to play 3B you need more Arm rather than turn DP, while 1B requires less range and more into infield error. Same with the outfield, CF needs range, RF is less range and more arm, and anyone can play left

Any ideas on the ratings
Go to the Player Editor. The Fielding Ratings are on the lower right hand side. Kris Bryant should show a 200 experience rating at 3B and no experience rating at SS. Give him a 200 experience rating at SS and see what his SS rating is after you do that. That number is his potential at SS. (Then take that experience rating back unless you want to cheat.) That will tell you whether you're wasting your time.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis

Last edited by swampdragon; 06-03-2016 at 04:26 PM.
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:32 PM   #8
MrWideFrame
Minors (Triple A)

I mean he is a 40 at turn DP. It's pretty obvious he's going to be a horrible SS. Not to mention I can't imagine his IF range is anywhere near SS worthy.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #9
TuckerDuckson
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWideFrame View Post
I mean he is a 40 at turn DP. It's pretty obvious he's going to be a horrible SS. Not to mention I can't imagine his IF range is anywhere near SS worthy.
His range is actually 60 so it's not bad, he just can't turn double plays

Old 06-04-2016, 12:19 AM   #10
MrWideFrame
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
His range is actually 60 so it's not bad, he just can't turn double plays
60 is not good for a SS though.

Are we talking 80 or 100 pt scale?
Old 06-04-2016, 02:18 AM   #11
TuckerDuckson
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWideFrame View Post
60 is not good for a SS though.

Are we talking 80 or 100 pt scale?

20-80 I've had shortstops who played good defense with only 60 range

Old 06-04-2016, 03:00 AM   #12
MrWideFrame
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
20-80 I've had shortstops who played good defense with only 60 range
I suppose 60/80 isn't terrible. You could give it a try but I wouldn't want him there long-term.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:17 PM   #13
Number4
Major Leagues

It depends on the needs of the organization. Usually, you wouldn't want this player to play SS longterm. However, sometimes even short is the place a good bat will go to, if you'd lose a good player at 2nd or 3rd otherwise.
I have this in my organization now - my ex-third baseman was gold glove potential at third, however with his turn DP rating barely adequate at SS. But a prospect at 2nd broke through, too weak arm for SS, and my 2nd baseman is a meh defender, however can play 2nd or 3rd equally average. So I moved the prospect to 2nd, the 2nd baseman to 3rd and my 3rd baseman to SS. In late innings, a defensive substituion of a great glove at SS and movement of my SS to 3b shores up my defense, and until then, my infield trio are mashing homers happily, while being defensively adequate enough.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:39 PM   #14
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

i think it depends on the replacement 3B. Will he create so much more runs than the original SS? And will that number be greater than the difference of defensive runs allowed between the old lineup?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:24 AM   #15
TuckerDuckson
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
i think it depends on the replacement 3B. Will he create so much more runs than the original SS? And will that number be greater than the difference of defensive runs allowed between the old lineup?
Well my original shortstop tore his PCL so he won't be creating anymore runs in the long term. My replacement third baseman would be Matt Chapman, (that one Oakland prospect guy), I've tried trading for a SS but know one wants to give so I thought I could give Kris a shot, he's got the arm for it.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:49 AM   #16
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
People learn faster during spring training? What do you base that on? How much faster?
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3956444

And from the online manual:

Learning New Positions
Players learn new positions through practice. The best way to accomplish this is by having them play in a new position. Players learn more quickly when they play regularly in the minor leagues, or in spring training. The more a player plays at a certain position, the more he improves. After he has acquired a certain amount of experience at a position, he will be given a position rating that will display on his profile.

OOTP follows the concept of the "defensive spectrum." The defensive spectrum is as follows: DH - 1B - LF - RF - 3B - CF - 2B - SS. Generally speaking, the further to the right, the harder the position is to play and the harder it will be to convert a player to that position. Position players can learn to play catcher, but it often takes a very long time, and they typically don't make very good ones.

Note: A player cannot 'lose' positions. Once he has learned a position, he will always have a rating at that position.
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote