Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #1
Birdland24
Minors (Triple A)

What is your strategy as the GM/manager

So when you download OOTP17 and start your career what's your strategy for your team?

I'll start. I always play as the Orioles and this year after the Orioles spent way to much this offseason and overpaid for talent.

So I'm going to try and unload JJ Hardy and his salary to move Machado to SS.

I'm going to try and search the league for a young LHP to stash in my rotation. I don't like having a staff of all RH.

I'm going to try and bring Bundy along slowly to have him in the rotation come July.

Depending on how Davis is doing I'm going to either keep him at the break or try and trade him. In the offseason I'm trying to trade him and O'Day.

The Orioles have one of the weakest farm systems in the league so while I'm trying to win at the same time I'm going to try and build the farm system and have a team that uses its own system to win.

Can you tell I can't wait for this game to come out?
Birdland24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
kungfupandacam
Minors (Single A)

I will play as the Angels and this year after the Angels did nothing in the off-season.

So I'm going to try to get two MLB starters and unload salries like C.J. Wilson and Jered Weaver

I'm going to try and bring Skaggs along slowly to have him in the rotation come May-early June.

I may also look for a good defensive left fielder to get the best outfield in baseball. May also get a good defensive second baseman.

The Angels have one of the weakest farm systems in the league so while I'm trying to win at the same time I'm going to try and build the farm system and have a team like the Dodgers.
kungfupandacam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:18 PM   #3
oriolesmeep
Minors (Double A)

I also usually play as the Orioles.

I probably would keep the majority of the offense, but try to trade Wieters/Jimenez/Gonzalez for whatever I can get. I'd probably slot Bundy in the rotation almost immediately. Depending on how he's rated, I can see putting Chris Lee in the rotation come July/August. Until then, the all-righty staff will be what I roll with.

Matusz has no spot on the team, neither does McFarland. Worley might slot into the rotation, but it all depends on how the players are rated on release.

Otherwise, I try to keep the team the same. Walker/Mancini probably would be my DH by May/June. I'll look for a new backup catcher to play behind Joseph. Rickard will get a chance to start the season in right field, though Reimold would also get some playing time. I'll look at trading for some starters, but otherwise I'm fine with the team as it is.

Also, Machado will never play SS for me unless it's an emergency. If I find an agreeable trade for Hardy, I'm much more likely to play a guy like Janish/Garabez Rosa until I find a better option.
oriolesmeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:06 PM   #4
jdw31158
Minors (Double A)

I'm going to play as the Cubs.

I'm doing nothing and see if they live up to the hype.
jdw31158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #5
jd200600
Minors (Double A)

I am going to play as my Cardinals. Stopping the Cubs from a WS will be my goal!

I will have to try to develop my farm system by adding some potential power bats. Also will look to try to bring along my pitchers in the minors carefully.
jd200600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #6
Kent814
All Star Reserve

I always have my first game be with the padres

First thing is i will commit to a rebuild. Unload shields cashner and ross, sign some marginal starters to fill those spots.

Next i will move kemp to LF if i dont trade himand i will put wil myers in rf . From there i dont know what i will do we'll have to see
Kent814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:12 PM   #7
msupoke
All Star Reserve

I will be the Astros. I will try to unload Feldman, find a first baseman (Reed, Tucker, or Singleton), and strengthen the bullpen without depleting a pretty good minor league system. Also, I will hopefully get Moran up in the summer to replace Valbuena. Having a young nucleus in Correa, Altuve, and Springer will give me time to let Cameron and Bregman develop.
msupoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:53 PM   #8
Hammercraft
All Star Reserve

I will probably play the Brewers first, because I enjoy them as a team. And I'm definitely trading Lucroy for prospects.
Hammercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:52 AM   #9
Birdland24
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesmeep View Post
I also usually play as the Orioles.

I probably would keep the majority of the offense, but try to trade Wieters/Jimenez/Gonzalez for whatever I can get. I'd probably slot Bundy in the rotation almost immediately. Depending on how he's rated, I can see putting Chris Lee in the rotation come July/August. Until then, the all-righty staff will be what I roll with.

Matusz has no spot on the team, neither does McFarland. Worley might slot into the rotation, but it all depends on how the players are rated on release.

Otherwise, I try to keep the team the same. Walker/Mancini probably would be my DH by May/June. I'll look for a new backup catcher to play behind Joseph. Rickard will get a chance to start the season in right field, though Reimold would also get some playing time. I'll look at trading for some starters, but otherwise I'm fine with the team as it is.

Also, Machado will never play SS for me unless it's an emergency. If I find an agreeable trade for Hardy, I'm much more likely to play a guy like Janish/Garabez Rosa until I find a better option.

I'll keep Matusz and see how he performs. If it's not to bad he'll be on the team all season if not he'll be DFA. MacFarland will make a few appearances and like Matusz he'll be evaluated on performance.
I want to be solid up the middle and Hardy just isn't what he use to be with the bat so if I can get him off the books I'd like to and let Manny start his career at SS.
Gonzo, Jiminez and Weiters will all be evaluated on performance too. If Weiters isn't to bad I'm gonna try and resign him on a 3 year deal but if he's too expensive I can see him being a deadline move depending on how the team is sitting.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:07 AM   #10
khucke
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdland24 View Post
So when you download OOTP17 and start your career what's your strategy for your team?

I'll start. I always play as the Orioles and this year after the Orioles spent way to much this offseason and overpaid for talent.

So I'm going to try and unload JJ Hardy and his salary to move Machado to SS.

I'm going to try and search the league for a young LHP to stash in my rotation. I don't like having a staff of all RH.

I'm going to try and bring Bundy along slowly to have him in the rotation come July.

Depending on how Davis is doing I'm going to either keep him at the break or try and trade him. In the offseason I'm trying to trade him and O'Day.

The Orioles have one of the weakest farm systems in the league so while I'm trying to win at the same time I'm going to try and build the farm system and have a team that uses its own system to win.

Can you tell I can't wait for this game to come out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kungfupundacam
I will play as the Angels and this year after the Angels did nothing in the off-season.

So I'm going to try to get two MLB starters and unload salries like C.J. Wilson and Jered Weaver

I'm going to try and bring Skaggs along slowly to have him in the rotation come May-early June.

I may also look for a good defensive left fielder to get the best outfield in baseball. May also get a good defensive second baseman.

The Angels have one of the weakest farm systems in the league so while I'm trying to win at the same time I'm going to try and build the farm system and have a team like the Dodgers.

Birdland24 and Kungfupundacam, you happen to be twins, right?
khucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:30 AM   #11
jasonzimmie
Minors (Double A)

after I download 17 I will continue my online leagues but I think I will try my hand at a historical league with my Chicago Cubs starting in 1871 and then trying to take it to present day
jasonzimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #12
Birdland24
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khucke View Post
Birdland24 and Kungfupundacam, you happen to be twins, right?

Separated at birth and on each end of the country.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #13
TribeWarpath
Minors (Single A)

Starting in 1995 will try and bring the city of Cleveland a championship with that stacked offense. Will look to right some of the wrongs that management did in the past such as actually acquiring SP and retaining some of their homegrown talent (Manny, Thome, & Giles primarily).
TribeWarpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #14
oldcatcher
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Location: Virginia, USA under a bridge in a van down by the river
playing as Yankees, will cut A-rod, Texeria & Sabathia, trade Ellsbury, suffer decades of bad baseball rebuilding. Oh, I forgot. Hang Brian Cashman in front of the stadium.
oldcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #15
cavebutter
All Star Starter

I know you're really talking about MLB Quickstart type scenarios, but indulge me.

I will be starting my 3rd year as GM of the Cleveland Roosters. New ownership is really pinching pennies as we continue our rebuild- even though we stand a shot at the playoffs this season.

I will keep looking for groundball pitchers and solid defense, as these skills come relatively cheap. I will be saving all my FA money for one impact bat, having signed Ace Dave Larramore to a 4 year deal last offseason. I will scour the waiver wire daily and try to pick up another gem like 1b/OF Dave Brunow. I will pretty much Billy Beane it and start unloading all of my non-franchise players in their last year of arbitration and try to trade for prospects.

I will try to keep my job.

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #16
curt
Major Leagues

My strategy is to win!
curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:55 AM   #17
DJP53916
Minors (Double A)

I will start as the Milwaukee Brewers, and just like the real life franchise, I am looking to continue the rebuild.

First order of business for me is to shop Garza and see what kind of offers I can get for him. After that, I'll probably look to moving Lucroy for the best prospect haul I can get. If I don't like the offers for Lucroy, I may try to extend him for two or three years.

Otherwise, my focus will be on the draft, scouring the waiver wire, and the international markets.
DJP53916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #18
stugotz
Bat Boy

I am going to start as the Blue Jays and the first order of business is trying to trade to get Noah Syndergaard back. After that I scour the world for quality staff for my minor league teams. Then I being trying to replenish our depleted minor league system with some talent. Try to develop some of our top youth players like Pompey, Osuna, Harris and Guerrero.

If I am able to trade one of Edwin or Batista I might look to do that depending on return. Might just stick with the two of them and take my chances with them in the FA market. I will be very active in the draft and will trying to make a good international signing.

The main objective player wise is to bring in a starter and another reliever, and possibly a lead off hitter depending on how Pillar is rated. I want Josh Donaldson signed long term, and Marcus Stroman signed long term.

Finally I would like to play in the world series within two seasons.
stugotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:57 PM   #19
MikeS21
Minors (Triple A)

I always play as the Reds. The first thing I always do is try to get younger and build the farm system. I've done that way the last five versions of OOTP.

Fortunately, since the FO in the Reds' organization has already done most of the work for me this off-season, all I got to go is get a prospect haul for Joey Votto (probably try to extend Bruce for now), and I'll be ready.

Last edited by MikeS21; 03-08-2016 at 03:58 PM.
MikeS21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #20
Sox2013
Minors (Single A)

I'll play as the Red Sox, per usual, and my strategy will likely be similar to last year - unload Hanley and Sandoval as soon as possible, get someone who can actually play first or third, then start Shaw at the other position. I'll also try to pick up a better LH option in the outfield. Depending on how they rate Buchholz, I may also dump him for another bullpen arm and move Owens or Johnson into the rotation.
Sox2013 is offline   Reply With Quote