Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:33 PM   #1
AaD88
Major Leagues

It works! OOTP on a Chromebook

I should preface this post by saying I am a complete noob at Linux. This process required a lot of support, Googling, and testing. However, I did finally get it to work.

I’d also like to thank Dave at StatsPlus for the tremendous amount of Linux and OOTP knowledge he provided in this process. He is a huge asset to this game and I wouldn’t have been able to do this without him.

OOTP on a Chromebook: How I did it:

Device: Pixelbook (however, I think it should work on most mid- and high-range Chromebooks)
Platform: Steam (I think this would likely be easier with the standard Linux version, but I wanted to go through steam)

Step 1: Activate Linux (beta) on your Chromebook

Step 2: Download Steam through Linux (I used this link for instructions: https://brismuth.com/how-to-install-...k-57174d1f1f32)

Step 3: Download OOTP through Steam and make sure you have enough hard drive space

Step 4: Download components necessary to run OOTP. In your terminal, type…

HTML Code:
sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libglapi-mesa:i386
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt update
CPU_MHZ="1300.000" LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6' DISPLAY=:1 steam
You will need to type the last line everytime you want to launch Steam.

**Please note that the MHZ should match your Chromebook’s CPU. You should now be able to open and play OOTP via Steam.

**I should also state that it is possible to run a sim as a commissioner through a chromebook. I downloaded Filezilla and StatsPlus for Linux and they worked just fine. In order to run S+, however, you need the following libraries installed:

HTML Code:
sudo apt-get install libgconf2-4
sudo apt-get install libnss3
If you are sending emails through OOTP on a Linux/Mac, you will need a relay service to get it to work. I used mailjet.

Again, figuring all of this out took a lot of trial and error and many hours. It's possible that I missed a step in this post. Let me know if you have success with this! I’m thrilled to find OOTP capabilities with Chromebooks.

Last edited by AaD88; 02-05-2019 at 06:41 PM.
AaD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
SupermanBSU
Minors (Double A)

Wow. Sounds like a lot of work to get it running on a Pixelbook. All of those steps may be the reason why I stick with Apple. I run an online league and it sounds like a lot of additional work to get all those components functioning. I have zero Linux experience. If the developers ever make a google os version, I would probably change my entire hardware to Google.
SupermanBSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:13 AM   #3
AaD88
Major Leagues

Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone. It took me quite a bit of time to figure it out, but in the end it is possible.

Chromebooks have historically been web-based only devices, which is why I'm excited to discover it's possible to install and play a game (any game) on such a device. For all the work, personally it was worth it for me; my Pixelbook lives up to the Chromebook expectation of fast, streamlined hardware: everything is cleaner and seems to run more quickly than on my Windows device.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
reo
Minors (Triple A)

Gil Renard: Don't get greedy, son. Don't get greedy. What we need now is a sacrifice. A winning team has to know how to manufacture runs. Coop taught me that. He used to say the most beautiful play in the game is a sacrifice fly, and you know why?
Richie Renard: 'Cause you give yourself up for the team?
Gil Renard: And it doesn't even count against your average. That's why baseball's better than life - it's fair.

Last edited by reo; 02-17-2019 at 04:45 PM. Reason: ..
reo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:18 AM   #5
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
The Sim has to be slow most chromebooks are specced extremely low
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #6
AaD88
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
The Sim has to be slow most chromebooks are specced extremely low
You'd be surprised! Of course, low end Chromebooks don't have the HD space for OOTP, but I think it would work very well on mid- or high-end Chromebooks. ChromeOS is much lighter overall than Windows. Granted, Pixelbook is a high end device, but SQL dump takes me about 30 seconds (takes 20-30 minutes for me on Windows).