Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:55 PM   #1
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Wondering

What % of pitchers who walk home a run have been pulled from the game in MLB history... Someone posted where they broke the record for walks in a single game and I've seen in some of my games where a pitcher walked in 2, 3 runs. AND...if the % of walks changes significantly with the bases loaded vs. other situations. Apparently Tommy John joked that there is still one base open (home plate) when the bases are full and he wouldn't sort of change his approach, but most pitchers in that situation make sure to get one over the plate so as not to embarrass themselves.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #2
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Great Matrix View Post
What % of pitchers who walk home a run have been pulled from the game in MLB history... Someone posted where they broke the record for walks in a single game and I've seen in some of my games where a pitcher walked in 2, 3 runs. AND...if the % of walks changes significantly with the bases loaded vs. other situations. Apparently Tommy John joked that there is still one base open (home plate) when the bases are full and he wouldn't sort of change his approach, but most pitchers in that situation make sure to get one over the plate so as not to embarrass themselves.

I'd be less embarrassed to walk in a run than give up a bases clearing double.

I believe I saw someone walk in two in a row this year.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

What if it was the winning run at 3rd?

Old 05-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

If a pitcher walked home the winning run then I wouldn't let him face another batter
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #5
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What if it was the winning run at 3rd?

If the winning run is on third then you can't walk in multiple runs so your original scenario wouldn't apply.

edit:

Ninja'd by dkgo.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #6
X3NEIZE
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
If the winning run is on third then you can't walk in multiple runs so your original scenario wouldn't apply.

edit:

Ninja'd by dkgo.
You can walk the previous runs leading to a tie game and then the winning run

X3NEIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #7
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3NEIZE View Post
You can walk the previous runs leading to a tie game and then the winning run
So is this thread about creating a million scenarios or the basic question the OP asked?

My point stands. I'd rather walk in a run than give up a bases clearing double. Even if the winning run was on third as it would screw up my ERA in all likely hood. At worst, I'd screw up my teammates era...

Old 05-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #8
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

The only way it could screw up your ERA is if you gave up a HR.

Otherwise game is over when the winning run touches the plate...

Anyway, perhaps it was just my games partly but there was a lot of walking in runs than I ever saw in MLB in the same amount of games...

Then again, the Mets had like a 6-run rally this season on bases on balls walks alone.

The game is ever-changing.

I don't know about your point, McDog. . One does not want to walk in the winning run... Other times in the game? I kind of get Tommy John's point in his quote that he isn't going to change things but still feel there are times where you should be confident and competent enough to throw a strike rather than give the other team a run.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:03 PM   #9
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Yea, I stand corrected on the ERA thing - very true, game is over so it's still only 1 run.

I'd want to strike out 27 and I agree I don't want to walk in ANY runs but dropping that whole winning run thing, I wouldn't throw meatballs down the pipe either with the bases jammed.

Walking in runs is super frustrating in game and in real life.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #10
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

I think they changed that rule at some point...Even on a HR they'd end the game with the one run scored, then HR became that important that they wouldn't let the fact that the game was decided technically as soon as that first runner scored ruin a chance for a player to tack another HR to his total.

27 Ks on 81 pitches. That'd be some kind of more perfect game.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:01 PM   #11
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think they changed that rule at some point...Even on a HR they'd end the game with the one run scored, then HR became that important that they wouldn't let the fact that the game was decided technically as soon as that first runner scored ruin a chance for a player to tack another HR to his total.

Would be something!

Old 05-14-2019, 07:44 PM   #12
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Chris Sale had a perfect inning of that sort the other night and it was enough for headlines.

9 pitches, 9 strikes.

& his stoic face broke into a smile for a moment as he walked back to the dugout after

Old 05-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #13
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:

I wonder how that was/is scored? Tie game, bases loaded grand slam to end the game. The score only shows 1 run, like 10-9 or 5-4, but does the batter get credit for a grand slam RBI total or a solo HR without a R scored? lol
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #14
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Red face

He now gets credit for a Grand Slam w. 4 RBI as long as he makes it around the bases. There was a playoff game between the Mets & Braves in 1999 where Ventura hit a game-winning single because it was a walk-off slams but his teammates hoisted him up in the air between 1st & 2nd. That was that Braves team with that pitching staff...Mets lost 4-2 but that was a great one anyway.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #15
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Red face

He now gets credit for a Grand Slam w. 4 RBI as long as he makes it around the bases. There was a playoff game between the Mets & Braves in 1999 where Ventura hit a game-winning single because it was a walk-off grand slam but his teammates hoisted him up in the air between 1st & 2nd. That was that Braves team with that pitching staff...Mets lost series 4-2 but that was a great one anyway.

Old 09-30-2020, 02:39 AM   #16
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Post isn't about anything in particular. Maybe just a sort of difference between a manager having to witness this kind of thing in a real baseball game vs. OOTP.

Or if it was about anything, my original statement.

Never really thought about it from my ERA as a prospect perspective. But...don't let him hit a home run on the other hand.