Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP 25 - Historical & Fictional Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 25 - Historical & Fictional Simulations Discuss historical and fictional simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:17 PM   #21
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Nice to have you, and this league, back.
luckymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:42 AM   #22
Makonnen
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymann View Post
Nice to have you, and this league, back.
Thanks! I love the footnote league! What did you use as the cutoff for participation?

Baseball The Way It Never Was
https://wbl.dmlco.com/

i9s: Curated, Bespoke MLE's for NeL Players.
https://www.i9s.org/
Makonnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:46 AM   #23
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makonnen View Post
Thanks! I love the footnote league! What did you use as the cutoff for participation?
It's a combination of things really.

Unofficially, the WAR cutoff is 20 as per BBRef. But if a player has an interesting backstory I'll often let him in. The thing is I don't want too many really well-known players in there.

And until 1950 I'm using 2000 as the date cutoff, then I'll roll it forward. Again, it's about bringing some lesser-known guys (back) to people's consciences.

I've also added some Negro League players in there - lord knows they never got their dues IRL.
luckymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:27 AM   #24
Makonnen
All Star Reserve

TWIWBL 5.1: Best Game of Series IV

Sometimes a game is so good it deserves its own writeup.

Such was the case in game two of the series between the New York Black Yankees and the Ottawa Mounties. A lot of narrative threads came into play in this one, although before the game started, the only items of note were the disparity in records (New York came into the game at 12-3, Ottawa at 5-10) and Babe Ruth‘s 15 game hitting streak.

Ron Guidry (2-1) got the start for New York while Bob Brown (0-1) took the mound for Ottawa.

Eric Davis singled in the New York 2nd, and promptly stole 2nd and 3rd, but Brown was able to get back-to-back popups from Lou Gehrig and Thurman Munson, stranding Davis at 3rd.

Meanwhile, Guidry was unhittable, striking out the first 5 batters he faced.

Mike Schmidt–struggling with a sub .200 average–led off the 3rd inning with a HR to left, putting the Black Yankees up, 1-0.

Larry Walker–fresh off a return from the DL–led off the bottom of the 5th with a double. Anthony Rendon reached on an error by Willie Randolph, but was thrown out on the back end of a double-steal and Guidry forced a groundout from Gary Carter to get out of the inning with the 1-0 lead.

Guidry was great, allowing only 3 hits in 6 2/3 innings, walking 1 and striking out 10, but when, in the bottom of the 7th, Freddy Parent doubled with 2 outs, The Black Yankees went to the bullpen, bringing in Dellin Betances to face Carter. Betances walked The Kid, but got a popout from Ken Griffey, Jr to end the inning.

And, when Ruth threw out Tim Raines at the plate in the bottom of the 8th after Phil Bradley–mired in a horrific slump–doubled into the corner, it looked like the Black Yankees had the game in hand.

If anything, Brown was even better than Guidry, allowing 3 hits in 8 innings with 11 strikeouts, before giving way to Old Hoss Radbourn. Radbourn got Ruth to fly out to LF in the top of the 9th, presumably ending the Babe’s hitting streak.

The bottom of the 9th saw New York’s closer, Sparky Lyle, take the mound with the 1-0 advantage. But Lyle’s first pitch was launched by Walker deep into the night for a 450 foot HR to tie the game. Rendon followed with a double, but Lyle was able to get out of the jam, sending the game into extra innings.

Schmidt doubled in the 10th and scored on pinch-hitter Manny Sanguillen‘s single. A hit by Derek Jeter chased Radbourn from the game, and New York greeted Ted Bowsfield quite rudely, with Don Mattingly singling in a run and then Ruth–getting an unexpected chance to extend his streak–singling through the infield to plate Jeter. When the inning ended, New York now led 4-1.

After a leadoff walk to Raines, Lyle was relieved by Lady Baldwin, who struck out Bradley and Carlos Delgado around an Alex Rodriguez double. That meant there were 2 outs and 2 on for Walker, who promptly deposited a Baldwin pitch deep, deep into CF for his 2nd HR of the game, a game-tying, 487 foot HR monstrosity of a blast.

That took us to the 11th. Gehrig led off the inning with a 4-pitch walk from Bowsfield, and Munson followed with a single to RF. Walker threw out Munson trying to stretch the hit into a double for the 1st out of the inning. It would matter, as Schmidt hit his 2nd HR of the game to give the Black Yankees a 6-4 lead. Bowsfield recovered to strike out Craig Counsell and Jeter.

Baldwin gave up consecutive singles to Parent and Emil Gross before getting Griffey, Jr. to fly out. He was relieved by A.J. Burnett, who gave up a single to Raines to load the bases with 1 out.

John Olerud pinch hit for Bradley and grounded the ball down the 1B line. Gehrig picked it cleanly and threw to Jeter, but the return throw was too late for the double play, and Parent scored, making it a one run game.

Rodriguez singled to score Gross and tie the game, Delgado singled to load the bases and that brought up, you guessed it, Walker.

He deposited Burnett’s first pitch into shallow RF, scoring Olerud and giving Ottawa a great 7-6 win in extra innings.

Burnett ended up taking the loss, with Lyle, Baldwin, and Burnett all blowing save opportunities while the victory went to a largely ineffective Bowsfield.

So, Ruth extended his hitting streak to 16 games; Schmidt pushed his BA above .200 by going 3-for-5 with 2 HRs, 3 runs, and 3 RBIs, and Walker won the game almost single-handedly with 4 hits, 2 runs, 5 RBIs, and 2 HRs, plus an OF assist.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:29 AM   #25
Makonnen
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymann View Post
It's a combination of things really.

Unofficially, the WAR cutoff is 20 as per BBRef. But if a player has an interesting backstory I'll often let him in. The thing is I don't want too many really well-known players in there.

And until 1950 I'm using 2000 as the date cutoff, then I'll roll it forward. Again, it's about bringing some lesser-known guys (back) to people's consciences.

I've also added some Negro League players in there - lord knows they never got their dues IRL.
Very nice! That was one of the challenges for the WBL--for all baseball sims I've ever done, actually. How to balance out the talent spectrum. I never thought of just chopping off the top end, but it's a great idea.

Old 05-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #26
Makonnen
All Star Reserve

TWIWBL 5.2: Notes from Series IV

The WBL saw its first on-field brawl, as Kansas City‘s Boog Powell charged the mound after getting plunked by Philadelphia‘s Robin Roberts. Powell was suspended for 5 games, Roberts for 6.

WBL Player of the Week

The Wandering House of David‘s Pete Browning went 13 for 22 for the week–that’s a 591/591/909 slash line–with 5 RBIs and 6 runs scored to take home the WBL Player of the Week.

He had some competition: Homestead‘s Mike Epstein hit 571/625/1143; and the New York Black YankeesBabe Ruth hit 417/462/1000 with 4 HRs and 10 RBIs. On the mound, Birmingham‘s Scott Baker went 2-0 with a 0.66 ERA in 2 starts and Philadelphia’s Bob Howry had 3 saves.

Series IV Results

Series IV Sweeps

● The House of David over the Memphis Red Sox
Chicago American Giants over the Houston Colt 45’s

Taking 3 out of 4 in Series IV

Baltimore Black Sox over the Brooklyn Royal Giants
Indianapolis ABC’s over the Cleveland Spiders
● Philadelphia Stars over the Kansas City Monarchs
● New York Black Yankees over the Ottawa Mounties

Old 05-13-2021, 09:54 AM   #27
Makonnen
All Star Reserve

TWIWBL 5.3: Series IV Notes - Bill James Division

At 12-6, the Wandering House of David lead the division, with only the Los Angeles Angels at 9-9 also at .500. Having lost 7 in a row, Memphis trails the division, already 8 games behind with a 4-14 record.

Leading SP: Harry Howell, LAA. 1-1, 3.18 ERA, 1.01 WHIP.
Leading RP: Chuck Finley, LAA. 1-0, 2H, 1.86 ERA, 0.83 WHIP in 5G.
Leading Batters: Buster Posey, NYG. 433/486/731; Pete Browning, HOD. 467/484/717, 9SB; Chili Davis, DET. 329/376/506, 20RBI.

#Detroit Wolverines

With very few rested arms, Detroit sacrificed some of its infield depth in preparation for its next series, sending Robbie Thompson to AAA and promoting Doyle Alexander. Alexander gave up 3 runs and 4 hits in his debut inning, so he may be heading back to AAA shortly.

#Los Angeles Angels

Highly touted closer Francisco Rodriguez was promoted from AA to AAA.

#Memphis Red Sox

There may be some hope for Memphis, as the combination of Roger Clemens (3.54 ERA, 1.03 WHIP, 8.4 K/9) and Dean Chance (1.93 ERA, 1.18 WHIP) looks quite strong at the top of their rotation. With a 2-1 record, Chance has the only victories by a SP for the Red Sox (Clemens is 0-1 and fellow current rotation members Nixey Callahan, Sadie McMahon, and Jon Lester are a combined 0-9).

#New York Gothams

Willie McCovey led a 15-3 clobbering of Miami with a 4 hit, 2 HR, 4 RBI effort. SP Carson Smith began a rehab stint at AAA Hartford, hoping to rejoin New York in short order.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:11 PM   #28
Makonnen
All Star Reserve

TWIWBL 5.4: Series IV Notes - Cum Posey Division

Baltimore and Kansas City are tied atop the division at 12-6, with the Chicago American Giants a few games back at 9-9. Houston has lost 5 in a row, falling 4th, only a game ahead of cellar-dwelling Ottawa (6-12).

Leading Starter: Luke Hamlin, KAN, 2-1, 1.93 ERA, 1.07 WHIP.
Leading Reliever: Jeff Pfeffer, KAN, 5 SV, 0.90 ERA.
Leading Batters: Dan McGann, BAL, 358/443/623; Joe Jackson, CAG, 351/443/608, 5 HRs, 18 RBs; Frank Thomas, CAG, 343/425/600, 5 HRs, 21 RBIs; Eddie Collins, CAG, 343/470/552, 18 R, 11 SBs.

#Baltimore Black Sox

Bill Byrd was magnificent in Baltimore's opening game against Brooklyn, allowing only 1 hit and 1 walk in 8 IP. Unfortunately, he left the game trailing 1-0, but was spared the loss when Frank Robinson tied it up in the 9th inning. A walk-off HR from Ken Singleton won the game for the Black Sox.

Richie Sexson--at one point in consideration to make the big league roster--was demoted from AAA to AA Charlotte.

#Chicago American Giants

Just look at those leaders: Thomas, Jackson, and Collins are probably the hottest trio in the league right now.

#Houston Colt 45's

Houston has a bit of a bullpen problem heading into their next series, leading to the Colt 45's placing Mike Hartley on the IL and demoting Ice Box Chamberlain to AAA (he was quickly moved to AA by the management staff in San Antonio in favor of Boots Poffenberger--yep, Ice Box for Boots transaction there) with Stubby Overmire and Leon Day returning to the WBL. Ismael Valdez and Jim Kaat moved from AAA to AA as well.

The rotation is likely to be a bit up in the air over the next series or two.

#Kansas City Monarchs

Stan Musial hit 3 doubles in a game for the 2nd time this year, given him 8 on the season.

The Monarchs' bullpen is pretty decimated, forcing two roster moves. First, Charles Comiskey was sent to AAA (instead of the injured list) to rest a sore elbow; second, Rex Hudler was sent down, likely only for a few days, as his demotion leaves Kansas City without an experienced SS behind Ozzie Smith. Bill Doak and Bob Gibson--who has pitched well since being demoted from Spring Training--were recalled from AAA.

#Ottawa Mounties

In his first AB of the season after an injury rehab stint at AAA, Larry Walker deposited Waite Hoyt's pitch over the LCF fence for a HR: that's the way to get the home fans on your side!
More a victim of a lack of opportunity and a worn-out bullpen than anything else, Chris Leroux was sent to AAA with Jim Clancy being recalled to help shore up the rotation in the upcoming series. Reggie Cleveland was put on waivers to make room for Clancy on the 40 man roster.

Karl Spooner--who went into Spring Training as the closer--was released.

Old 05-15-2021, 12:11 PM   #29
Makonnen
All Star Reserve

TWIWBL: 5.5 Series IV Notes - Effa Manley Division

At 14-4, the New York Black Yankees lead Philadelphia by 2 games. Indianapolis is playing .500 ball, with Cleveland at the bottom of the division at 6-12.

Leading Starters: Ray Collins, PHI, 3-0, 3.96 ERA; Red Ruffing, NYY, 3-0, 4.00 ERA, 1.22 WHIP; Vean Gregg, HOM, 1-1, 2.08 ERA; Ron Guidry, NYY, 2-1, 3.14 ERA, 0.98 WHIP.
Leading Relievers: Bob Howry, PHI, 7 SV, 1.08 ERA, 0.60 WHIP; Ron Reed, PHI, 2 SV, 6 H, 0.90 ERA, 1.00 WHIP.
Leading Batters: Lou Gehrig, NYY, 421/522/860, 6 HR; Babe Ruth, NYY, 440/517/853, 8 HR, 22 RBI; Rico Carty, PHI, 382/419/709; Eric Davis, NYY, 303/321/658, 8 HR, 28 RBI, 8 SB.

#Cleveland Spiders

Mel Harder's nagging shoulder forced him to the DL for 10 days, forcing a roster move for the Spiders, with Wilbur Cooper joining the ML staff after a good start to the season in AAA. Bill Steen will--for the moment--take Harder's spot in the rotation.

#Homestead Grays

With Peaches Graham out for 10 days, Jim Hegan was recalled from AAA to serve as the backup C.

#Indianapolis ABC's

C Johnny Bench nudged his BA over .200 with a 2-HR game, leading the ABC's to an 8-2 victory over Cleveland. But the ABC's hit some injury snags during the series, with OF Oscar Charleston and 2B Joe Morgan both out. Morgan will miss about 2 weeks, and Indianapolis recalled OF Edd Roush from AAA to take his roster spot. Losing Charleston for any length of time would hurt, as the young OF is slashing 348/375/522 to date. Luckily, his wrist looks bruised, not broken, and should only keep him out for a few days.

There are questions about the pitching staff, with either Bronson Arroyo or Virgil Trucks facing demotion if fresh arms are needed.

#Philadelphia Stars

In an impressive 8-6 win over Kansas City, Willie Davis went 3-for-4 with 2 solo HRs and Rico Carty went 3-for-3 with 3 RBIs.

The Stars' mound corps are heavily overused at the moment, necessitating some roster moves. Ted Kluszewski and Larry Jackson were both sent to AAA Norfolk, but they are both expected to return shortly. Despite not giving up a hit in a handful of AAA innings, Jerry Blevins was released to make room for Jaret Wright on the WBL roster. P Ken Forsch was also recalled.

Old 05-16-2021, 12:28 PM   #30
Makonnen
All Star Reserve

TWIWBL 5.7: Series IV Notes - Marvin Miller Division

Brooklyn leads the division, with San Francisco and Portland close on their heels. Even this early, a bit of a gap appears between those three teams and Miami and Birmingham at the bottom of the division.

Leading Starters: Don Drysedale, BRK, 3-0, 1.27 ERA, 1.03 WHIP; Walter Johnson, POR, 3-0, 2.54 ERA, 1.16 WHIP; Lefty Grove, SFS, 2-0, 1.57 ERA, 0.78 WHIP.
Leading Relievers: Johan Santana, POR, 7 SV, 1.69 ERA, 1.31 WHIP; Dave Von Ohlen, BRK, 2-0, 2 H, 2.19 ERA.
Leading Batters: Reggie Jackson, SFS, 396/500/679; Bobby Bonds, SFS, 364/432/697; Will Clark, MCG, 211/234/493, 6 HR, 19 RBI; Beals Becker, BRK, 293/408/379, 9 SB; Rickey Henderson, SFS, 250/424/359, 9 SB.

#Birmingham Black Barons

OF Al Schweitzer--one of the better performers for the Black Barons in the early season with a 267/389/422 line--is injured; depending on the duration, a roster move might be looming, with both Dale Murphy (038/194/038) and Chipper Jones (088/238/206) possibly being sent to AAA as part of the transaction.

#Brooklyn Royal Giants

It was an unkind week for the Royal Giants, with both SP Orel Hershiser and 3B Jim Delahanty hitting the injured list. Hershiser will miss close to 2 months with an oblique strain, moving Dick Redding into the rotation. Lefty Frank Knauss was recalled from AAA to take Redding's slot in the bullpen. Delahanty will be out close to a year, and Duke Farrell was recalled to take his spot, also clearing room for phenom SS/3B Ray Dandridge to move to AAA.

RP Jeff Montgomery--released by Houston--was signed to a minor league contract.

#Miami Cuban Giants

An 0-4 day at the plate against the New York Giants ended Will Clark's 10 game RBI streak.

#San Francisco Sea Lions

Dennis Eckersley was put on the 10-Day IL and Carlos Carrasco was demoted to AAA to help address some pitching issues. If, as expected, Eddie Plank is available in a day, the Sea Lions should be fine with the addition of Ps Rick Langford and Diego Segui from AAA.

FA OF Mookie Wilson was signed to a minor league contract.

Old 05-17-2021, 03:08 PM   #31
Makonnen
All Star Reserve

TWIWBL 5.7: Previewing Series V - Wandering House of David @ Los Angeles Angels

{ Thread moved from the old OOTP21 forum. New users, welcome aboard; old users, welcome back! }

For Series V, we'll take a closer look at the Wandering House of David's four game road trip to the left coast to face the Los Angeles Angels in a matchup of the top two teams in the Bill James Division. At 12-6, The House of David, fresh off a four game sweep in Series IV, lead the Angels, who sit at .500 with nine wins and nine losses by three games.

The matchups of the series are (House of David SP first) Jack W. Taylor (2-0, 3.54 ERA) v. Pud Galvin (0-1, 4.34); Frank Sullivan (2-1, 5.31) v. Harry Howell (1-1, 3.18); CC Sabathia (2-2, 4.23) v. Doc Gooden (1-2, 5.92); and Fergie Jenkins (2-1, 4.50) v. Gerrit Cole (2-1, 3.90).

As those numbers suggest, the SP for each of these teams has been solid, but not spectacular. The same cannot be said of the House of David's bullpen, which leads the WBL with a 1.36 ERA. Bruce Sutter has yet to give up a run, and Rollie Fingers, Joakim Soria, Dick Tidrow, and Tom Niedenfuer have each allowed only a single earned run on the season. Niedenfuer leads the team with three saves, with Sutter adding two.

The Angels' bullpen has been less spectacular but still quite solid, led by Larry Anderson--yet to give up a run--and Joe Nathan's 2 saves. Chuck Finley looks to get a shot at starting soon, giving up only 2 runs in over 9 IP with 15 strikeouts.

Kal Daniels has been the best hitter for the Angels in the early going, slashing a 348/474/652 line. Don Buford (308/410/415) and Doug Radar (289/333/461 with 16 RBIs) have been their other key producers, with both Mike Trout and Derrek Lee mired in significant slumps. Lee, Rusty Staub, and Brian Downing all have OPS below .600, meaning they are likely to see a trip to AAA if they don't pick up the pace soon.

For the House of David, it's all been about reigning WBL Player of the Week Pete Browning, who is hitting at a 467/484/717 clip to go with 15 runs scored and 9 SBs. George Stone has been their second best hitter at 373/429/627, but the whole offense has been solid. Five players have three HRs each: Browning, Stone, Ryne Sandberg, Mark McGwire, and Ernie Banks. At the other end, Ron Santo, Sammy Sosa, and Frank Grant have all struggled mightily out of the gate, with BAs hovering around .200 and OPS under .600 each.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #32
Makonnen
All Star Reserve

Series V Featured Matchup - Wandering House of David @ Los Angeles Angels

Four games pitting the Wandering House of David against the Los Angeles Angels in a series between two of the better teams from the Bill James Division. See here for the series preview.

Game One: Jack W. Taylor v. Pud Galvin

Game one was dominated by Pud Galvin, who pitched 7 innings giving up only 1 run on 6 hits to lead the Angels to a 5-1 victory. Galvin's opposite number, Jack W. Taylor, gave up 5 runs in 6 innings.

Both bullpens were stellar: Rollie Fingers threw 2 innings of scoreless relief for the House of David and Jeurys Familia, Larry Anderson, and Joe Nathan allowed only one hit behind Galvin.
Mike Trout and Dave Radar combined for 6 hits and all 5 RBIs for Los Angeles, with Trout hitting his second HR of the year. Don Buford added 2 hits and scored twice.

HOD 1 (Taylor 2-1) @ LAA 5 (Galvin 1-1)
HRs: Trout (LAA, 2)
Box Score

Game Two: Frank Sullivan v Harry Howell

The game itself was overshadowed by an injury to Pete Browning, who was put on the DL by the House of David, and is expected to miss between one and two weeks. Dan Ford was recalled from AAA after the game to take Browning's spot on the roster.

That compounded a bad day, as Los Angeles moved to a 2-0 lead in the series with a walk-off victory. The House of David scored 4 times in the first two innings to take an early lead, led by HRs from Browning and Sammy Sosa, but a 3-run 6th inning keyed by a 2-run 2B from George Wright, tied the game at 5.

The score would stay that way until the bottom of the 9th, when Wright led off with a single against Joakim Soria. Kal Daniels followed with a single, with Wright heading to third, and Elmer Valo scored him with a hard single through the right side, sending the home crowd happy with a 6-5 walk-off win for Los Angeles.

Daniels and Wright had 3 hits each, with Wright scoring 3 times and driving in 2, and Derrek Lee looked to break out of his slump, going 2-for-2. For the House of David, both Ryne Sandberg and Mark Grace went 2 for 4.

Chuck Finley continued his strong start to the year for Los Angeles, with 3 innings of scoreless relief, while Aaron Heilman pitched a scoreless ninth for the victory, his first of the year. For the House of David, Dick Tidrow, who had been fantastic to date, was roughed up for 2 earned runs in 1.2 innings, earning his second blown save of the year.

HOD 5 (Soria 0-1) @ LAA 6 (Heilman 1-0)
HRs: Browning (HOD, 4); Sosa (HOD, 2)
Box Score

Game Three: CC Sabathia v Doc Gooden

The House of David look to get back into the series without their leading hitter, Pete Browning, who was placed on the DL.

Both CC Sabathia and Doc Gooden struggled early, but Sabathia got on track, allowing four hits over 7.1 innings to lead the House of David to a 4-1 victory. Gooden was not nearly as good, walking 5 and allowing 6 hits in 4.1 innings, giving up four runs in the process.
Both bullpens excelled: Nolan Ryan followed Gooden with 3.2 hitless innings while striking out four, while for the House of David, Bruce Sutter got his second hold of the year and Tom Niedenfuer pitched a scoreless 9th for his 4th save.

Richie Hebner drove in 2 runs with a bases loaded single in the top of the 2nd, and Mark McGwire and Mark Grace drove in runs with walks in the top of the 5th.

For Los Angeles, the offense was highly concentrated in two batters: Mike Trout went 3-for-4 and Bobby Grich 2-for-4.

HOD 4 (Sabathia 3-2; Niedenfuer 4 Sv) - LAA 1 (Gooden 1-3)
HRs - None.
Box Score

Game Four: Fergie Jenkins v Gerrit Cole

Sabathia and Gooden were a good matchup, but this one was even better. Fergie Jenkins comes into the game with a 2-1 record and a 4.50 ERA and Cole with an identical record and a 3.90 ERA. Both have shown flashes of brilliance, however, Cole especially, whose year started with 3 consecutive solid starts before being roughed up by Kansas City his last time out. Jenkins was masterful his last time out, allowing only 3 hits and 1 run over 7 innings in a victory over Memphis.

Sometimes, though, a game just comes down to a single swing. With the House of David up 2-0 in the bottom of the 5th, singles by George Wright and Don Buford scored the Angels' first runs. Mike Trout walked to load the bases, and Doug Radar deposited a Jenkins fastball into the left field seats for a grand slam. That put the Angels up, 6-2.

The House of David closed the gap to 6-5, but the Angels' Joe Nathan pitched a perfect 9th for his 3rd save, preserving the win for Cole, who struck out 10 in 7 strong innings.

HOD 5 (Jenkins 2-2) - LAA 6 (Cole 3-1; Nathan 3 Sv)
HRs: Radar (LAA, 3)
Box Score

Series Notes

Radar had 6 RBIs in the 4 games, but the hitting star was Trout, who went 8 for 14 in the four games, effectively breaking out of his early season slump. Richie Hebner and George Stone had 5 hits each for the House of David.

The Angels took 3 of the 4 games, but they still trail the House of David by 1 game in the Bill James Division.

The key storylines were Browning's injury and Trout's emergence--the former a significant challenge for a suddenly struggling House of David; the latter a ray of hope for the Angels.

Last edited by Makonnen; 05-22-2021 at 11:37 AM. Reason: New pattern for post titles.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:35 AM   #33
Makonnen
All Star Reserve

Series V Featured Game: Chicago visits Detroit

The featured game of Series V saw Detroit's Joe Lake taking on Si Johnson of the visiting Chicago American Giants in the opening match of the four game set.

The game was scoreless until the top of the 4th, when Dick Allen led off with a solo HR to give Chicago a 1-0 lead. It was short-lived, as a 2-run HR from Geoff Jenkins and an RBI double by Bob Bailey put Detroit up 3-1 in the bottom of the frame.

A 3-run blast from 1B Hank Greenberg extended the Detroit lead to 6-1 in the bottom of the 5th, and the Wolverines looked in good shape.

However ... this is The Featured Game, right?

Mike Fiore led off the top of the 7th with a leadoff HR, and when Duffy Lewis followed with a sharp single, Johnson was chased from the game, to be replaced by Doyle Alexander, who fanned the first batter he faced, but then gave up a single to light-hitting Damian Jackson, turning over the fearsome Chicago lineup to the top.

It delivered: Shoeless Joe Jackson singled in Lewis, and, after Cristobal Torriente hit into a fielders' choice, Frank Thomas slammed a 3-run HR to tie the game at 6.

Damian Jackson would strike again in the top of the 8th, singling in two runs with Kevin Hart on the mound for Detroit to give Chicago the lead again, at 8-6.

But the home team still had some fight in them, with Chili Davis tagging Ken Sanders for a solo HR and Greenberg adding an RBI single in the bottom of the 8th to tie the game.

Detroit would keep Hart in the game for the top of the 9th, and Thomas would greet him with a leadoff HR to give the lead back to Chicago, 9-8.
The American Giant's beleaguered closer, AJ Minter, would take the mound in the bottom of the frame. After George Davis flied out, Tony Phillips would single against Minter, bringing up Detroit's DH Bob Bailey, who launched a ball deep to LF. Torriente took off at a full sprint and, far in the LF corner, made a tumbling catch. Phillips tagged up from first in a desperate attempt to get into scoring position, but Torriente somehow rolled to his feet, stopped his momentum, whirled, and threw a rope to 2B, just beating Phillips to end the game.

Thomas drove in 4, going 3-for-5, and Allen and Lewis added 2 hits each for Chicago, while Davis, Phillips, and Greenberg had 3 hits each for the home team. Hart took the loss, falling to 0-2, and Akinori Otsuka picked up the win, improving his record to 2-3 (Otsuka wasn't terribly effective--he gave up 1 hit in one-third of an inning, and picked up a blown save as well), with Minter getting his first save in--by far--his most effective outing of the year.

Box Score | Game Log

Old 05-22-2021, 11:36 AM   #34
Makonnen
All Star Reserve

TWIWBL 6.0: Notes from Series V

Headlines from Series V include the continued dominance of the New York Black Yankees and the league's first 4 game winner.

The Black Yankees took four games from Homestead, surging to an 18-4 record.

In the final game of Series V, Walter Johnson led Portland to victory, moving to 4-0 on the year, the first pitcher to reach that mark.

League Standings | League Stats

Leading SP: Walter Johnson, POR, 4-0, 2.23 ERA, 1.13 WHIP; Don Drysedale, BRK, 3-0, 1.00 ERA, 1.11 WHIP; Ron Guidry, NYY, 3-1, 2.39 ERA, 0.90 WHIP, 46 Ks.
Leading RP: Johan Santana, POR, 0-1, 9 Sv, 4.32 ERA; Bob Howry, PHI, 0-0, 7 Sv, 1.08 ERA; Rod Beck, SFS, 0-0, 6 Sv, 0.00 ERA; Ron Reed, PHI, 0-0, 2 Sv, 6 H, 0.82 ERA.
Leading Batters: Babe Ruth, NYY, 449/515/865, 10 HR, 28 RBI, 31 R; Buster Posey, SFS, 463/511/750; Reggie Jackson, SFS, 456/558/809, 5HR; Eric Davis, NYY, 292/308/596, 31 RBI; Eddie Collins, CAG, 320/469/507, 12 SB; Rickey Henderson, SFS, 247/416/338, 12 SB.

Boldface indicates a league-best mark.

Streaks

The Black Yankees the Chicago American Giants are 8-2 in their last ten games, while the Baltimore Black Sox and Brooklyn Royal Giants have won seven of their last ten.

At the other end, the Memphis Red Sox, Ottawa Mounties, and the Grays have gone 3-7, while the Houston Colt 45's have managed only two victories in their last ten.

Babe Ruth of the Black Yankees has a 22 game hitting streak heading into Series VI, with the Wandering House of David's Ernie Banks having hit in 15 straight and the New York Gotham's Buster Posey in 14 straight. Ruth has also driven in a run in 10 straight games.

Series V Results

There were no series splits in Series V--two sweeps and eight series where a team was only able to manage a single victory.

Series V Sweeps

Brooklyn over Indianapolis ABC's (3 G Series)
Black Yankees over Homestead

Taking 3 out of 4 in Series V

Baltimore over Miami Cuban Giants
Cleveland Spiders over Birmingham Black Barons
Chicago over Detroit Wolverines
New York Gothams over Houston
San Francisco Sea Lions over Kansas City Monarchs
Los Angeles Angels over Wandering House of David
Memphis over Ottawa
Portland Sea Dogs over Philadelphia Stars

Old 05-23-2021, 12:33 PM   #35
Makonnen
All Star Reserve

TWIWBL 6.1: Series V Notes - Bill James Division

#Detroit Wolverines

Bob Bailey hit 2 HRs and drove in 5 to lead the Wolverines to a 7-2 victory over Chicago. The win went to Johnny Marcum, who threw 4 hitless innings in relief of Hank Aguirre. Marcum moved to 2-1 on the season.

Hal Newhouser began his road back to Detroit with a rehab assignment at AAA.

#Memphis Red Sox

Trailing 6-2 after four innings, the Red Sox looked unlikely to end their 8 game losing streak. But, behind two HRs and 5 RBIs from Manny Ramirez and 4 hits from Mookie Betts, Memphis came back against Ottawa, scoring 9 unanswered runs en route to an 11-6 victory.
Ted Williams kept the streak going, leading off the bottom of the 15th inning with a HR to RF off Monk Dubiel, giving Memphis a 6-5 win likely to decimate both bullpens for a while.

The Red Sox will need more bullpen help before their next series, though, as the 15 inning game was followed by an even longer one as they were pushed to 18 innings in the season finale against Ottawa. Heath Bell, Eddie Cicotte, and Tim Wakefield combined for 9.1 scoreless innings, with Wakefield being particularly impressive. But Turk Farrell gave up 2 runs, and Memphis dropped the marathon game, 5-4.

Afterwards, Sadie McMahon and Cicotte were sent to AAA, with Mel Parnell and Joe Borowski joining the major league club.

Old 05-24-2021, 10:25 AM   #36
Makonnen
All Star Reserve

TWIWBL 6.2: Series V Notes - Cum Posey Division

#Houston Colt 45's

Bret Saberhagen was hit hard falling to 0-2 and seeing his ERA reach 10.45, but you have to feel for Scott Erickson, who gave up 12 hits and 10 runs in 3 IP in relief of Saberhagen as a sacrificial arm in a blowout loss.

The team bounced back with an extra-innings win, sparked when Tony Gwynn tripled with 1 out in the 10th against New York Gothams' closer Robb Nen. Gwynn scored on a single from George Brett; then Brett and Lance Berkman (who singled) scored on a hit from HR Johnson, giving the Colt 45's a 6-3 victory.

Erickson was sent to AAA, both for the performance and to help get a fresh arm to the big leagues, with hard-throwing Billy Wagner coming back the other way.

#Ottawa Mounties

After a 15 inning marathon loss against Memphis, Ottawa needs pitching arms: C Kirk Manwaring was released and SP Terry Mulholland added to the 40-man roster and promoted to the big leagues.

They'll need more, as the season finale against Memphis went 18 innings. Jim Clancy started his WBL career strong, with a scoreless inning in the first extra-inning game, and then 3 more in the 18 inning marathon where he combined with Ted Bowsfield, Gary Lavelle, and Old Hoss Radbourne for 12.1 scoreless innings in relief of Roy Halladay. Despite giving up a HR, Tom Henke picked up the save, while Radbourn got the victory.

A pitch from Tim Wakefield broke Larry Walker's nose in the top of the 13th, but it's not clear if Walker will hit the DL or not.

Mulholland was sent right back down, along with Clark Griffith, with Gary Peters called back from his rehab assignment along with Greg Holland.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:36 AM   #37
Makonnen
All Star Reserve

TWIWBL 6.3: Series V Notes - Effa Manley Division

#Cleveland Spiders

John Ellis went 3-for-4 with 2 HRs and a double in the final game of the Spiders' series with Birmingham, leading Cleveland to a 4-2 win and a 3-1 edge in the series.

Rowland Office came off the DL for Cleveland, but with Peanuts Lowery hitting 333/353/424, the Spiders had to look elsewhere to free up space on the roster. They turned to 3B where both Evan Longoria (153/254/271) and Ken Keltner (182/182/303) have struggled and Sammy Strang has only gotten 3 plate appearances. Strang will be given a real shot in platoon with Longoria, meaning Keltner will head down to AAA.

#Indianapolis ABC's

Virgil Trucks was demoted to AAA after the ABC's 3 game series with Brooklyn, with Willie Mitchell joining the big league club. Rumors are Indianapolis also wanted Bronson Arroyo to spend some time in AAA, but the 31 year old veteran refused to head to the minors.

Joe Morgan will be out for another week or so, giving Lonny Frey a few more games to show he can handle WBL pitching (so far, he can't, as he's hitting at a 143/231/143 clip). With Dennis Menke slashing 321/406/500, Frey looks likely to head down to AAA when Morgan returns.

#New York Black Yankees

Dave Righetti threw one of the finer games of the year so far, a 3-hit shutout against the Homestead Grays. Righetti walked 3 and struck out 11 on his way to an 89 Game Score, improving his numbers on the year to 2-0 with a 2.38 ERA.

Not to be outdone, Ron Guidry improved to 3-1 on the season with his own 3-hit shutout against the Grays, striking out 10 in a 3-0 win. Guidry's effort yielded an 88 Game Score, and his ERA dropped to 2.39.

In sweeping the four games from Homestead, the Black Yankees outscored the Grays 42 - 6.

#Philadelphia Stars

3B Al Smith hit a pinch-hit HR in the ninth inning against Portland's Johan Santana, who had been virtually unhittable up to that point. Buck Freeman hit his 3rd of the season in the 10th--also off Santana--giving the Stars a 3-2 win.

Ken Forsch's time in Philadelphia was short: two outings, 2 earned runs in just over an inning, and then back to AAA with Ted Kluszewski returning.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:48 AM   #38
Makonnen
All Star Reserve

TWIWBL 6.4: Series V Notes - Marvin Miller Division

#Birmingham Black Barons

John Clarkson fell to 1-2 with a miserable outing against the Cleveland Spiders, giving up 7 earned runs in under 3 IP and sending his ERA to 12.74. Jim Whitney was ineffective in relief, and Dick Rudolph's 2.2 scoreless IP may have been enough to slide him into the rotation. With only three rotation spots settled, look for those three, Greg Maddux, and Sam Streeter to get opportunities starting for Birmingham.

OF Al Schweitzer, who had a solid start to the season slashing 267/389/422 will be out over a month with a hamstring strain, with Curtis Granderson being promoted to Birmingham to take his roster spot.

#Brooklyn Royal Giants

Jackie Robinson's first HR of the year was a 2-run shot in the bottom of the 7th against Indianapolis, providing the winning margin in a 3-1 victory for the Royal Giants.

#Miami Cuban Giants

Rube Waddell, Eustaquio Pedroso, Ed Bauta, and Aroldis Chapman combined for a 6-hit shutout of the Baltimore Black Sox, with Waddell moving to 1-1 on the year with the 4-0 Cuban Giants victory.

#Portland Sea Dogs

Gil Hodges became the first player in the WBL to swat 3 HRs in a single game, sending 3 balls out of the park against Philadelphia's Pete Alexander in a 7-4 win for the Sea Dogs.
Walter Johnson threw 8 strong innings to become the league's first four game winner, leading the Sea Dogs over Philadelphia 4-1.

#San Francisco Sea Lions

Wally Moon may have defined Moonshot, sending a pitch from Kansas City's Luke Hamlin 502 feet into the night, helping San Francisco eke out a 7-6 victory.

Capping a 3-for-4 day, Reggie Jackson tagged Kansas City's Frank DiPino with his first earned runs of the year with a 2-out, 2-run HR, 9th inning HR to give the Sea Lions a 3-2 lead. Rick Langford debuted with three innings of scoreless relief for the victory, and Rod Beck pitched a perfect bottom of the 9th for his 6th save of the season.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:11 AM   #39
Makonnen
All Star Reserve

Previewing Series VI: Chicago American Giants @ Philadelphia Stars

The featured matchup of Series VI will see the Philadelphia Stars (13-9) hosting the Chicago American Giants (12-10). Having the misfortune to be in the same division as the New York Black Yankees, the Stars are more games behind their division leaders (5) than the American Giants (3), despite having the better record.

Chicago comes in to the game having taken 3 out of 4 from Detroit, and 7-1 over their last 8 games. Philadelphia lost 3 out of 4 to Portland, and is playing .500 ball over their last eight.

Series pitching matchups (Chicago SP listed first) are currently Mark Buehrle (1-2, 3.20) v. Robin Roberts (2-1, 6.30); Joe Lake (0-1, 7.71) v. Ray Collins (3-0, 3.66); Tricky Nichols (3-0, 2.97) v. Steve Carlton (1-3, 3.72); and Ben Sheets (3-0, 4.11) v. Pete Alexander (1-4, 6.00). It should be an interesting series for the starters: three of the games pit someone pitching well against someone struggling in the start of the year, while the third game--Nichols versus Carlton--may be the best matchup of them all.

Chicago's bullpen has been strong up to the very end of games, where A.J. Minter has struggled, allowing 9 hits in only 3 IP. But the trio of Ken Sanders, Akinori Otsuka, and Koji Uehara have been excellent in getting the ball to Minter. LHP Lee Meadows has struggled mightily, including taking losses in his last 3 appearances, and is likely to be sent to AAA after this series.

Philadelphia's bullpen has been fantastic, top to bottom, led by closer Bob Howry's 7 saves along with excellent work from Pedro Feliciano (5 holds), Ron Reed, and Rheal Cormier. Feliciano's 1.12 ERA is the worst of that bunch.

Offensively, though, Chicago hold the clear edge; indeed, short of the Black Yankees, no team in the league can match the trio of OF Shoeless Joe Jackson (353/446/624), 1B Frank Thomas (325/419/588), and 2B Eddie Collins (320/469/507). Those three have combined for 14 HRs and 56 RBIs. There are concerns about the starts of both 1B Adrian Gonzalez (176/232/284) and Luke Appling (169/219/220; .114 BA over his last 12 games), however.

Overall, Philadelphia's offense has sputtered. Rico Carty (338/380/592) has been fantastic, and both Willie Davis (294/351/574) and Scott Rolen (275/338/580) solid, but 4 starters have failed to raise their OPS to .600 (OFers Sherry Magee and Al Smith, C Bill Dickey, and SS Mickey Doolin).

Chicago's Dick Allen comes into the series having driven in a run in 5 consecutive games, and Shoeless Joe has been successful on his last 4 SB attempts

Old 06-01-2021, 12:15 PM   #40
Makonnen
All Star Reserve

Series VI Featured Matchup: Chicago American Giants @ Philadelphia Stars

The American Giants (12-10) head to Philadelphia to take on the Stars (13-9) in a four game series. Series preview here.

Game 1: Mark Buehrle v Robin Roberts

Mark Buehrle brings a 1-2 record and a 3.20 ERA into his matchup with Robin Roberts who is at 2-1 with an inflated ERA of 6.30. Roberts has pitched better than his ERA would indicate, for sure.

Still, the American Giants have a heckuva lineup. Roberts would give up three runs four innings, first on an RBI single by Dick Allen, then twice when Duffy Lewis scored without a hit (first on a Luke Appling double play, then, in the top of the fourth, on a wild pitch).

Buehrle sailed along for five innings, but the Stars broke through in a big way in the bottom of the sixth with George Hendrick, Sherry Magee, and Rico Carty all hitting doubles to cut the lead to 3 to 2. Ted Kluszewski--gaining some redemption on his return from AAA--then took Buehrle deep for a 3-run HR, putting Philadelphia on top, 5-3, and chasing Buehrle from the game, relieved by Koji Uehara.

The lead was short-lived: Roberts would walk Adrian Gonzalez and give up a single to pinch-hitter Kevin Mitchell before giving way to Rheal Cormier. Brought in to face three consecutive left-handed batters, Cormier was hit hard despite getting a few outs, with Dave Nilsson hitting a deep fly to score Gonzalez, Eddie Collins doubling, and Shoeless Joe Jackson plating Mitchell with a groundout. Jack Meyer relieved Cormier and got Frank Thomas to popout to 1B for the final out with the score tied at 5.

Philadelphia's strategy in the top of the eighth was a bit of a surprise: when Meyer couldn't come out due to injury, the Stars turned to Jaret Wright, just recalled from AAA. It was a mistake: Allen greeted him with a triple, Mike Fiore walked, and Wright was pulled midway through Duffy Lewis' AB in favor of Pedro Feliciano, who had been fantastic so far this season. Feliciano gave up a single to Lewis, scoring Allen and then a 2-run double to light-hitting Damian Jackson. An RBI groundout from Eddie Collins pushed the score to 9-5.

Philadelphia would claw back one run, but that was it, and Chicago had the victory in hand.

Carty had three hits, all doubles, for Philadelphia. Lewis went four-for-four and scored 3 runs for Chicago.

CAG 9 (Uehara 1-0; Minter 3 Sv) @ PHI 6 (Wright 0-1; Cormier 1 BS)
HRs: Kluszewski (PHI, 5)
Box Score

Game 2: Joe Lake @ J.M. Ward

John Montgomery Ward gets a spot start for Chicago, his first of the year. Ward has pitched 7 times in relief, with a 1-0 record and 4.50 ERA. Joe Lake is just trying to get on track, coming in with an 0-1 record and an ERA approaching 8.

It was a rough day for everyone who took the mound ...
Chicago roared out of the gate, taking a 7-1 lead into the bottom of the fifth, but Philadelphia would at least make a game of it, starting the frame off with five consecutive hits and a sacrifice fly, closing the gap to two runs at 7-5.

But Shoeless Joe Jackson would hit two homeruns in the later innings, and Herb Pennock would throw a perfect 2.2 IP to close it out. Pennock was the only successful hurler for either team: Ward was rocked for 7 runs in under 4 innings, and Rheal Cormier and Pedro Feliciano gave up 6 more in 4 innings in relief. Lake was hit hard as well, surrendering 5 runs and 9 hits in 5 innings, and Lee Meadows gave up 3 more in just over an inning of relief.

Meadows and Lake are unlikely to be in Chicago much longer, as today's performances were no worse than they've shown all season.

Shoeless Joe went 3-for-6 with 4 RBIs, and Mike Fiore added 3 hits and scored 3 times as the American Giants pounded out seventeen hits, with only Dick Allen failing to get a hit on the day.

For Philadelphia, Buck Freeman, Rico Carty, Chase Utley, and Mickey Doolin each had two hits apiece.

CAG 14 (Lake 1-1; Pennock 1 Sv; Meadows 1 H) @ PHI 8 (Ward 1-1)
HRs: Jackson 2 (CAG, 8); Lewis (CAG, 3)
Box Score

Game 3: Tricky Nichols @ Ray Collins

Because of the surprise start of JM Ward last game, game three of the series features the first matchup of two 3-0 pitchers on the season, with Chicago's Tricky Nichols facing Philadelphia's Ray Collins. Both pitched well for a while, and then ran out of gas.

Nichols was cruising with a 4-1 lead heading into the bottom of the 6th, but a 3-run HR by Chase Utley and a solo shot by Bill Dickey chased him from the game giving Philadelphia a 5-4 lead.

Collins left after 7 innings with the 1 run lead, but Ron Reed immediately gave it up, surrendering a 2-run blast to Mike Fiore to give the American Giants the edge, 6-5. But, an error by Dick Allen allowed a run to score in the bottom of the 8th, tying it up at 6.

Bob Howry--fantastic so far on the season--came in for Chicago and promptly gave away the farm: Allen atoned for the error with a leadoff shot, and after an RBI single from Duffy Lewis, Shoeless Joe Jackson capped off a 4-for-4 day with a 3-run shot to RF. Ken Sanders mowed through the Philadelphia lineup in the bottom of the 9th, giving Chicago the 12-6 victory and a 3-0 lead in the series.

CAG 12 (Sanders 2-0, 1 BSv) @ PHI 6 (Howry 0-1; Reed 2 BSv)
HRs: Dickey (PHI, 2); Utley (PHI, 1); Jackson (CAG, 9); Fiore (CAG, 3); Allen (CAG, 4)
Box Score

Game 4: Ben Sheets @ Steve Carlton

Despite similar numbers, Ben Sheets comes into the game with a 3-0 record while Steve Carlton sits at 1-3 on the season.

Each pitched a strong game. Sheets looked sharper, but he had one bad inning--with Chicago ahead 2-1 heading into the bottom of the 6th, the big righthander made three mistakes in the span of six pitches, with Buck Freeman, Gavvy Cravath, and Sherry Magee each blasting solo HRs, giving the Stars a 4-2 lead.

Carlton left after getting one out in the seventh, with the Stars having to bring in SP Pete Alexander because their bullpen was so depleted. It worked: Alexander pitched 2.2 perfect innings, and the game ended 4-2 with Carlton picking up the win and Alexander the save for Philadelphia's first win in the series.

The three homeruns were half the hits Sheets surrendered, but he still went down to his first loss on the year.
CAG 2 (Sheets 3-1) @ PHI 4 (Carlton 2-3; Alexander 1 Sv)
HRs: Freeman (PHI, 4); Kluszewski (PHI, 6); Magee (PHI, 2); Cravath (PHI, 5).
Box Score

Series Notes

For Chicago, Shoeless Joe went 9-for-16 in the series with 3 HRs and 9 RBIs and Fiore went 6-for-13.

Despite going hitless at AAA, Kluszewski found his stroke immediately on his promotion, going 5-for-15 with 2 HRs and 5 RBI's for Philadelphia.

Chicago looks to have a shot at being a real contender, something that will elude Philadelphia until they find some more consistency on offense.