Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 05-05-2004, 03:57 PM   #61
AngelinOF
All Star Starter

Here is a MLB history file that I use, the only problem I have seen with it so far is that it starts in 1902 opposed to 1901 and ends with the 2000 season so its a couple of years old.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mlb_history_version1.zip (39.1 KB, 81 views)
AngelinOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:40 AM   #62
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Okay, we are good to go. I got the settings extremely close to real life in most offensive categories after many tests. The only total that is way out of whack is stolen bases but for now I am going to leave it that way as it helps get the run total a little closer to real numbers. Pitcher's ERAs are good but runs are still too low. This comes down to not enough errors. How big of a discrepancy are the errors. Huge.

In 1901 real life there were a total of 5307 errors committed between the two leagues. The average of 3 test sims comes out at 3561 errors....barely 2/3 of the real life total.

If someone was looking for extreme accuracy you could manually tinker with all of the fielding percentages until you got the results you wanted. Likewise, catchers arm ratings and basestealing ratings could also be adjusted. We are not going to do that with this sim. However, I do want to emphasize that should you be so inclined, a user could almost perfectly replicate the real life totals but it would require a lot of work each season.

My goal is a lot less lofty. I am looking for stats that look and feel real with a minimum amount of work each season. I may edit a few rookies coming in each season and I will make minor changes to the league settings each season to keep them within the proper range. I do not want to have to spend a week at the end of each season testing and retesting my league. In fact, other than drastic changes like from 1919 to 1920 I will rarely run a test sim in future years now that I have my starting point where I want it.

Here are the test results. In a moment I will post my final league settings for 1901.

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 04-18-2007 at 01:39 AM.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:52 AM   #63
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Here are the league settings I will be going with. Remember also that for the first few years I am turning injuries off. If someone wants to host it I would be glad to post the 1901.lg file that I will be using for anyone who wishes to sim along and compare their results. It is about 480kb zipped

EDIT I readjusted the settings slightly so that I would be working with a base at bat number of 100,000. This will simply make it easier when deciding what percentages to change settings for as I progress from season to season.

As a result settings image is a couple of posts down.

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 05-06-2004 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:13 AM   #64
Chisanga
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the timeline info guys - made my job SOOOO much easier :-)

Cheers
Old 05-06-2004, 02:24 AM   #65
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

So a couple of posts above I showed what my league totals looked like. Well, how about my test sim leaderboards.

STANDINGS
In real life the White Sox finished 4 ahead of Boston with Detroit and Philadelphia rounding out the top 4 in the new American League. In my final sim, Baltimore beat Chicago by 5 with Boston coming in third. In virtually every sim those 3 teams battled for top spot with Baltimore winning out more often than not. By the way, Baltimore was 5th in real life. Why the improvement in the test sim? A big reason was Stan Yerkes. In real-life, Yerkes went just 3-2 with Baltimore and St Louis that season. In OOTP6 he consistantly won 18-24 games. Plus John McGraw and Roger Bresnahan play the entire season as opposed to appearing in just half the games in real life.

In real life National League play. Pittsburgh finished first by 7.5 games over Philadelphia with Brooklyn 8.5 back. In most test sims Philadelphia, Brooklyn and Chicago battled for top spot with the Phillies winning most often. The Pirates generally finished 4th or 5th.

AVERAGE
Real Life National League
Burkett-STL .376
Delahanty-PHI .354
Sheckard-BRO .354
Wagner-PIT .353
Keeler-BRO .340

Final test sim National League
Crawford Cin .379
Davis NY .341
Wagner Pit .333
Leach Pit .332
Burkett StL .331

Real Life AL
Lajoie-PHA .426
Donlin-BLA .340
Freeman-BOS .339
Seybold-PHA .334
Collins-BOS .332

Final test sim AL
Lajoie Pha .407
Williams Bla .362
Collins Bos .358
McGraw Bla .346
Donlin Bla .343

Lajoie dominated winning the batting title in virtually every sim. His average would flucuate wildly between about .370 and .430 from test to test.

HOME RUNS

REAL LIFE NL
Crawford-CIN 16
Sheckard-BRO 11
Burkett-STL 10
Beaumont-PIT 8
Delahanty-PHI 8
Flick-PHI 8

TEST SIM NL
Crawford Cin 11
Green Chn 9
Dahlen Bro 9
Flick Phi 9

REAL LIFE AL
Lajoie-PHA 14
Freeman-BOS 12
Grady-WSH 9
Anderson-MLA 8
Davis-PHA 8
Seybold-PHA 8

FINAL SIM AL
Lajoie Pha 14
Grady Wsh 12
Collins Bos 12
Freeman Bos 9
McAllister Det 8

That is enough for tonight but that gives you an idea on the stats. Not perfectly accurate as Ed Delahanty is nowhere to found (he hit just ,287 in the final test sim) and Jesse Burkett had a relatively poor season while the Baltimore club was far superior to real life. However, it is all believable and that is the key. If the stats look and feel real for their era than in my opinion this game has done it's job.

The key thing for new users, particularily those familiar with DMB, Strat or APBA is that this is a career sim not a single season replay. The emphasis is on career and players will develop differently than they did in real life - in fact they will develop differently from one replay league to another. And that to me is the appeal of this game. I want to watch a career unfold. I don't want to see a season duplicate real life results perfectly. You might as well just read a baseball history book for that. I want the players to come alive for me...go through good years and bad, maybe surpass their real life accomplishments or maybe fail to live up to them. I also want to see the occassional Cliff Markle or Stan Yerkes...a real life nobody who becomes a star in my universe. That, however, is a fine line. I like to see a couple of Stan Yerkes in a replay but if my entire league is dominated by them instead of the Cy Young's, Walter Johnson's and Christy Mathewson's of my league than realism is gone. For the most part OOTP does an excellent job of this.

Is OOTP perfect for historical sims. No, of course not. It still requires a good deal of effort to get your initial league settings accurate and constant monitoring to keep them in line. Ideally the recalculate for historical accuracy could do exactly what I am going to do by hand each of the next 100 or so seasons we play out. OOTP6 does not do that for me, but it does gives me the tools to manually tweak the league - my baseball universe- to my liking. I can, with enough effort, make the league as close to real life as I choose. Or I can simply fine tune it slightly each season so it feels close enough to real life and then sit back and enjoy the ride as all the greats of the past have their careers play out before me.

Opening day is this weekend. I hope you find reading about this version of the HOB as entertaining as I find playing it out. Comments and questions as always are encouraged. Let's see how the history of baseball is written this time. Let's also discuss ways that OOTP6 works well for historical simmers, ways we can tweak things to make it work better, and ways that we can petition Markus to make it perform better in areas it is lacking.

Play Ball!

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 05-06-2004 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:36 AM   #66
jbmagic
Hall Of Famer

tigerfan good work

i dotn know if u been to the mod forum...but there alomost done with the era calculation for historical league...and it will help you with the league setting. and to be very accurate with real life stats

did that web page i gave u early help you with team history for each year? it shows all the changes ...

thanks
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 11:59 AM   #67
Cardinal Rule
All Star Starter

TigerFan - are you leaving the league totals at the default and just modifying the Era settings? I think from the screenshot it looks like it but I wasn't sure.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:54 PM   #68
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

Tiger Fan - here's a thread on league totals and BABIP that might interest you.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:24 PM   #69
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Rule
TigerFan - are you leaving the league totals at the default and just modifying the Era settings? I think from the screenshot it looks like it but I wasn't sure.
Nope, both era settings and league totals were modified from the default ones you get when you import a 1901 league.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:23 PM   #70
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Here is a new image of the league settings I will use. As mentioned above the only change I made is to prorate the numbers out to matchup with 100,000 at bats. This will make it far easier when deciding to raise or lower something by a percent or two as the years progress.

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 04-18-2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:22 AM   #71
khucke
All Star Reserve

Concerning the financials off/ FA signing problem, I tried this:
Have financials enabled during the season, but switch it off at the end of the season and on again before or after spring training I have observed that prospective FAs remain with their team and are signed to one-year contracts. I didn`t notice any apparent downsides using this scheme, though I have tried it only for a couple of seasons yet.
khucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 11:25 AM   #72
Ankit
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally posted by khucke
Have financials enabled during the season, but switch it off at the end of the season and on again before or after spring training I have observed that prospective FAs remain with their team and are signed to one-year contracts. I didn`t notice any apparent downsides using this scheme, though I have tried it only for a couple of seasons yet.
Thats an excellent idea...
Old 05-07-2004, 11:54 AM   #73
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by khucke

Great idea. Maybe even turning it off as of September 1st each year so it is on from opening until the end of August just to be sure no potential FA's sneak through the cracks.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:24 PM   #74
jbmagic
Hall Of Famer

what financials off/ FA signing problem is there? can someone please explain.....thanks so much
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 03:51 PM   #75
Cardinal Rule
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jbmagic
what financials off/ FA signing problem is there? can someone please explain.....thanks so much
With financials off teams won't sign FA. You'd have to manually move them to a new team.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:53 PM   #76
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by jbmagic
The issue with financials turned off is if a player is released no other cpu controlled team will ever attempt to resign him. In most cases it is not a big deal but at times cpu controlled teams may release a guy in his early thrities who still has some good years left. This occurs particularily when a player refuses a minor league assignment.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:54 PM   #77
AngelinOF
All Star Starter

The method that I use is rather time consuming but only in the first year of the league's existance. I go through and give every player a 25 year contract. At the end of each season I will then sort all the players by contract length and make sure that the players about to become FA's have a 20-year contract.

The one dowwnside I have see with turning finances on for the season and off just prior to proceeding to the next is that sometimes teams will trade players who are in the final year of the contract because they can't afford to resign them.
AngelinOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 05:11 PM   #78
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelinOF
The one dowwnside I have see with turning finances on for the season and off just prior to proceeding to the next is that sometimes teams will trade players who are in the final year of the contract because they can't afford to resign them.
Good point.

I think until some does a study on the negative impacts I will use the draft idea. At the end of each season I will just manually assign the top free agents to organizations with the best of the free agent lot going to the worst team.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:17 PM   #79
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1901 has been simmed and I am in the process of creating the Catobase pages. Catobase program looks to be extremely simple to use.

The initial league file has been saved and I have had a few requests for it. I am trying to co-ordinate with Henry to get it uploaded to BigCityBaseball for anyone interested. Hopefully we can get it down in the next day or so.

Rather than doing full detailed recaps like I have done for other HOB replays, I think I will keep it fairly basic and more focus on how I recalculate my league settings and deal with other changes as the league progresses. I will still do some write-ups but I think the main focus of this thread should be on tips we veterans can share with each other and new users to maximize our enjoyment of historical replays.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:41 AM   #80
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

For anyone who wishes a copy of the initial file. Henry is hosting it at this location.

http://www.bigcitybaseball.com/downloads/HOB1901.zip

You will also want to download the park images from this site

http://priorydesign.netmag.easyspace.com/historical.htm

And if you want photos my 1901 facepack will come in handy.

http://www.ootpdownloadcenter.com/FacePacks.html