Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:30 PM   #1
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Huge changes coming to the minor leagues

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ation-40-teams

Would anyone care to speculate on how this would look? How does it affect OOTP?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:14 PM   #2
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ation-40-teams

Would anyone care to speculate on how this would look? How does it affect OOTP?
And here I was thinking last night that eight teams in MLB do not have a Short-A team and now they want to eliminate that level altogether.

From an OOTP standpoint, I will not speculate (i.e. moving league levels, total cap on organizational players---which should be listed as active only, draft status, etc.) but am open to speaking my suggestions.

To the story....Everything I've read states that the New York-Penn, Appalachian, and Pioneer Leagues would cease to exist after 2021 or 2022, and that the Northwest League would once again become a full-season Low-A (then just Class A) league. The Midwest and South Atlantic would lose some teams to a new, fourth Low-A league. Also, they have stated that the old American Association clubs that went to the PCL would move to the IL, which would make it a 20-team league with the PCL going back to ten teams. Which, of course, should have been the FIRST THING DONE in 1997-1998.

Do the complex leagues become full season leagues instead of short-seasons?

I feel like some of these is breeding for expansion to prevent an influx of having an additional 12-20 minor league teams created (each with AAA, AA, A+, A, then optional levels Short-A, Adv-R, Complex-R, Foreign-R). Now you would temporarily phase out 42 clubs and come back later with only 22 of those gone.

Although I'm very curious about if there is a way to create the Dream League to be functional with the draft-eligible players.
BIG WORLD for OOTP22: WinRAR File ZIP file
My Custom Schedules

nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #3
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutt View Post
And here I was thinking last night that eight teams in MLB do not have a Short-A team and now they want to eliminate that level altogether.

From an OOTP standpoint, I will not speculate (i.e. moving league levels, total cap on organizational players---which should be listed as active only, draft status, etc.) but am open to speaking my suggestions.

To the story....Everything I've read states that the New York-Penn, Appalachian, and Pioneer Leagues would cease to exist after 2021 or 2022, and that the Northwest League would once again become a full-season Low-A (then just Class A) league. The Midwest and South Atlantic would lose some teams to a new, fourth Low-A league. Also, they have stated that the old American Association clubs that went to the PCL would move to the IL, which would make it a 20-team league with the PCL going back to ten teams. Which, of course, should have been the FIRST THING DONE in 1997-1998.

I feel like some of these is breeding for expansion to prevent an influx of having an additional 12-20 minor league teams created (each with AAA, AA, A+, A, then optional levels Short-A, Adv-R, Complex-R, Foreign-R). Now you would temporarily phase out 42 clubs and come back later with only 22 of those gone.

Although I'm very curious about if there is a way to create the Dream League to be functional with the draft-eligible players.
I did not think about expansion when I read this but that is a very good point. It's long been discussed that the number of minor league teams would be a issue with expanding to 32 teams. Perhaps the reorganization would come at the heels of an expansion announcement.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:09 AM   #4
itsmb8
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutt View Post

In theory, would it be possible to make that league an association with Major League Baseball, and have a Dream League draft held right after the MLB draft? The difficult part would be making sure that league's teams are filled of only undrafted rookies and not any free agents, and also making sure there arent any players that come back for a second season or more.
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

Given that you can do practically whatever you want with OOTP, it won't affect it all.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #6
Blackjack
Minors (Double A)

So who's going to make a quikstart out of all of this? Lol!
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:11 PM   #7
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Would like to see it.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #8
ArcAngel
All Star Starter

It's just a proposal right now, it's not set in stone.

I'm taking a "wait and see" approach to see if it pans out.
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #9
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post

Yeah, often these massive reorgs are an opening offer, so when later they agree to something smaller it looks like they made massive concessions.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:43 AM   #10
sabrtoothtiger
Minors (Double A)

Is there a way to have a reserve roster and minor leagues in OOTP?

I suggest reading MVP Machine that was released this year which outlines how teams are pushing the envelope on player development.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #11
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post

Correct. The response from the president if MiLB was pretty clear that they are not on board with the details that came out Friday.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:17 PM   #12
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Correct. The response from the president if MiLB was pretty clear that they are not on board with the details that came out Friday.
I'm not sure I blame him really.

Although there would be an amount of logic to streamlining the minor leagues to be more like the default OOTP setup, doing it in one go is perhaps not the best idea.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #13
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post

Although there would be an amount of logic to streamlining the minor leagues to be more like the default OOTP setup, doing it in one go is perhaps not the best idea.
Exactly. There's a lot of negotiation that's going to take place before anything happens.

On a related side note, if one wanted to shrink the minor leagues in an existing OOTP world, what would be the best way to do that? You wouldn't want to just delete a bunch of leagues/teams and make all players free agents because some really good prospects would suddenly become free agents.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #14
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

I do not see the MILB agreeing to the recent proposal unless they are given no choice. I believe MLB is looking at a way to raise the pay for MILB players, especially at lower levels, without drastically raising expenses. By getting rid of 1 to 3 levels of minors per team, and at least 100 players per team they can help to deflect some of the costs. They also are not happy with some of the facilities in lower minor leagues. I have to agree. I have been to a lot of minor league games. Most AAA and AA teams have nice facilities, but when you look at A+, A-, SS, and R levels, some have nice facilities, while others are terrible.

That said, the recent proposal, would not be good for MILB owners, except maybe the teams owned by their MLB parent. Many owners whose team did not move to a new league, would likely lose revenue. Some teams might be dropped altogether. some teams could move from A+ to AAA which would likely mean more revenue, but other teams could be moved the other direction, and would likely mean a loss in revenue, or a team could be dropped altogether, and wind up in an Indy league, which would also mean a loss in revenue.

They have until end of 2020 to sign an agreement, so this probably is a first step in the process, and MLB is asking for something really big, because unlike past agreements with MILB they want some actual changes this time.

The last CBA the owners started out asking for a Salary Cap and a drastic change or getting rid of the arbitration system. They knew they were probably not going to get either, but they were just feeling the players out. This is what is often done in negotiations, especially early in the negotiations.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #15
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post

It may be the best idea from their standpoint if the reason they want to compact the minor leagues is about cost, and saving money toward paying players at lower levels more money. You want to save the money now, not 5 years from now.

I am not saying I agree with it. I am just saying if one of the primary reasons they are doing it is to increase pay at lower levels, then from their standpoint it would make since to do it right away rather than drawing it out over several years.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:47 PM   #16
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

If the International League expands to 20 teams then I hope they don't have the same teams playing each other over and over and over again.

I don't know how those fans in the cities where the same team is almost always the visiting team.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:44 PM   #17
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Semi related to this, if they are going to have a 125 player limit across MLB and the minor leagues, they should make all players in the organisation have unique jersey numbers and go to allowing 3 digit numbers, like the Mexican soccer league has.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote