Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #1
Gruber_Tagged_Him
Minors (Triple A)

Quick spring training question

Just as in real life I find the default spring training length to be tediously long. I don't think this is a knee-jerk reaction to having 3 of my pitchers explode in the final week of ST last year, but even if it is...

Is there any downside to adjusting the ST length downwards? It won't affect whether or not players are ready for the regular season, will it? I know that it gives you a smaller sample size for judging battles for the final few spots on a roster but that seems like a minor issue to me.
Gruber_Tagged_Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

No, if you have a shorter spring, players will burn off rust a little faster, so that it shouldn't matter overall.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
highandoutside
All Star Reserve

In previous versions, the shorter the spring training the longer the time off between final ST and Opener, which meant players regained their rust. Not sure if this has been fixed in 20 or not
highandoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:02 PM   #4
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

The downside of course of a shorter ST is if you're trying to evaluate borderline players and prospects (not that ST is 100% indicative) you have a smaller sample size to work with. As for injuries, the only way to avoid them is for players to sit and do nothing, if they're gonna happen they're gonna happen.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:59 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by highandoutside View Post
In previous versions, the shorter the spring training the longer the time off between final ST and Opener, which meant players regained their rust. Not sure if this has been fixed in 20 or not
if they knocked it off, they stay 'sharp' while on an active roster.

assumes no injury or newly signed FA who hasn't played since last year etc...

it would be wise never to use ST stats for anything... unless you have ratings turned off and it's all you got. not just a small sample but reduced competition too.

i don't care if my best SP is 6.00+ERA... he's the best rated, he's the best SP. the volatility is so high, the #'s are useless on their own. if you have a borderline choice, pick they young guy and trade the old guy
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #6
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
if they knocked it off, they stay 'sharp' while on an active roster.

assumes no injury or newly signed FA who hasn't played since last year etc...

it would be wise never to use ST stats for anything... unless you have ratings turned off and it's all you got. not just a small sample but reduced competition too.

i don't care if my best SP is 6.00+ERA... he's the best rated, he's the best SP. the volatility is so high, the #'s are useless on their own. if you have a borderline choice, pick they young guy and trade the old guy

That’s why I play stats-only. There’s no reason, IMO, to care about anything in terms of performance if ratings are visible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:08 PM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post
That’s why I play stats-only. There’s no reason, IMO, to care about anything in terms of performance if ratings are visible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i bet you still don't use ST stats... or at least not enough to replace a vet with a MLB track record. some crap player, sure... might as well roll the dice with something new than playing a known quantity that's horrible.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #8
mwbigg
Bat Boy

A shorter spring training gives your players less time to learn a new position. Doing that requires a certain number of games played in the position, depending on the player.

Less spring training games means less starts a player can get in a new position. That could mean a player might only gain a 40 rating at the position when he could have achieved a 50 with another week of games.
mwbigg is offline   Reply With Quote