Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 07-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
DatCloserKid
Minors (Double A)

It's In Our Blood:The Baseball Family

This is my first dynasty, so I hope you enjoy!

It's In Our Blood: The Baseball Family

Present Day, Atlanta, GA

"Another great game", I said. I was just watching the Braves rout the Phillies, 12-0.*

To clarify, I am Jordan Jenkins, current manager of the Atlanta Braves. Baseball has been in my family for a long, long time. I love my job, and I will never quit it. But I wonder what would happen if I did quit...

"Jordan, I have the box score for you!" That was my intern, Pamella Orenstein. She was a smart cookie, but talked a little too much.

"Thanks, Pamella" I responded. We chit chatted about tomorrow and possible roster moves. Eventually, I decided to meet her tomorrow morning at my office. We said our goodbyes and left.

I arrived at my apartment at precisely 11:23 PM. My wife was waiting for me. My sons were at Georgia Tech, which was only a 15 minute drive from our apartments.

Yes, apartments. Even though I was a manager, the 3 million dollar mansions were for when I retired.

But back to my sons. One was in his 6th year, another was a redshirt freshman. He played baseball, of course.

The Next Day...

Pamella was never late, and she wasn't today, either. I was, though. I had some trouble with the coffeemaker at home.

We got right down to business, discussing the lineup and its flaws and strengths. 2nd base definitely wasn't our strong suit, so we were discussing possible trades. I was thinking that we trade for Infante. I decided to look for the file on him. I couldn't find it. I asked Pamella to help me search. We opened every cabinet we could find. We pulled our last filing cabinet drawer open. Some files fell out. I saw the name Jenkins on one of them, so I started reading.

"Pamella, could you do two things for me?" I ask. She says ok, so I tell her to get the game footage from last night, and to go search her office. While she was gone, I kept reading.

She eventually found the file, and said that our bench coach was using the footage. We sat down and pored over the file, but came to no conclusion for wether or not to trade. We left at 5:00 PM. I took the Jenkins file home with me, and told my wife that I needed to do some important reading. She left me alone, and before I knew it, it was 10:00 PM. Wow, that reading was amazing. It was really cool to see all those actual documents.

Oh, you want to see them too? Ok, you can borrow them for a while.

Check Out My Dynasty-The Hall of Fame's Second Chance
DatCloserKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
DatCloserKid
Minors (Double A)

1820's, Just Outside of Cooperstown, NY

Wilson Albert Jenkins was born on August 5th, 1822 on a small farm to the North of Cooperstown. He was a pudgy baby, weighing in at 8 pounds and 14 ounces. His first word was 'ball' at nine months old. He learned to walk at fifteen months, and was riding horses with his father three months later.

At age three, he befriended a boy named Abner Doubleday. He was three years older than Wilson, and was his role model. They played in the fields together until Wilson was five, which was when Wilson started to work in the fields, firstly riding with his father when he plowed, and eventually doing independent manual labor.

Wilson never enjoyed this life, but he never knew anything different. He worked and worked and worked from summer until fall, the only day off being his sixth birthday.

That was the day that he saw Abner again. They sang songs and chased each other, and had a blast in general.

Abner came knocking on the Jenkins' door the following April, and he and Wilson took a trip to the Doubleday cottage. Abner showed Wilson a solid stick and a rubber ball, and they had even more fun than on Wilson's sixth birthday. They hit and threw and chased under the pleasant April sun.

Since then, visits with Abner were few and far between, and were almost never as fun or exciting. Abner was enrolled in school, and Wilson was asked to do more and more work on the farm. They would never be the close friends that they used to be.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
DatCloserKid
Minors (Double A)

December, 1832, Just Outside of Cooperstown, NY

The big news came at dinner that night.

'Son, we are moving.' Was all that they said.

Wilson's mom was pregnant, and there were no good doctors in Cooperstown at the time, so they were moving. Moving to Hoboken, New Jersey, more specifically.

The wagons got loaded up for an overnight trip, and their very best horses were picked for the grueling task of carrying all the Jenkins family's belongings. Lanterns were hooked around their necks to light the way. Then they were off.

The horses clomped down the dusty trail until sunrise, when the family stopped, ate, and headed off again.

They finally arrived at their destination. Wilson jumped off the wagon and ran to an empty lot that they had spotted upon arrival. He frolicked for the rest of the day in that lot, pretending he was back at home with Abner.

After he was done, he said "That lot will be so much fun." To himself.

Yes, Wilson, it will be.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #4
Jabez54
Hall Of Famer

Thumbs up

Nice start, mate ... from present, back to how it all started ... Love it!!
Old 07-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
DatCloserKid
Minors (Double A)

Thanks, Jabez

1830s, Hoboken, NJ

Wilson was enrolled in public school for the first time. He started in fifth grade as a new kid. He didn't socialize much, and therefore, spent most of his time by himself.

That lasted just three short months, ending when Jesse Alfred Jenkins was born on April 17, 1832. He was another chubby baby, but grew out of it quickly.
Wilson didn't necessarily enjoy his presence, but brothers will be brothers.

Wilson began his awkward teen years at age 13, when he started to get pimples. People shied away from him, and he continued to be lonely until he got home.

His only place of solitude was in that vacant lot that was just two blocks away from the Jenkins home. He didn't act quite as happy as he did back in Cooperstown, but he still loved the lot.

That was until November, when Wilson arrived at his quiet lot and found out that it wasn't so quiet anymore. There were men frantically hauling things around the lot.

"What's going on?" Wilson asked.

"We are building a brand new baseball field here" said a worker, making base and ball sound like two different words.

"What's that?" Wilson asked.

"It's a brand new sporting game," he replied. By now, Wilson could see that the man was the head honcho of the project.

"Hm, I'll have to check it out." Wilson said to himself as he walked away.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
yougo1000
All Star Reserve

Man this is awesome so far
Bulls
Hawks
and Kansas JayHawks
yougo1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
DatCloserKid
Minors (Double A)

1840s, Hoboken, NJ

The fields were complete in 1840. They were to be dubbed the Elysian Fields. Wilson was eagerly awaiting their completion, and his waiting as worthwhile. He was astonished by the dirt diamond with 4 sacks on it, and the pristine green grass.

"Hey you!" Someone was calling to Wilson. He walked over to the man who was shouting at him.

"C'mon, we need one more player for base ball!"

Wilson joined, and the man briefly explained the game to him. Wilson joined his team, and he had a lot of fun, the most since the times with Abner, even though his team got routed, 21-3.

The men agreed to meet up every month for another game, and then every week. Wilson always played, even though it was obvious that he had no idea what he was doing.

One day, the fact that Wilson had no idea what he was doing became obvious to members of the other team. They would heckle him at bat, in the field, and onnthe bases, when he actually managed to reach them. But, one heckle stood out in Wilson's memory for the rest of his life.

It was a bright, Sunny day in April, 1843. Wilson was up to bat in the fifth inning. The count was 0-2. The pitch came in, and he took a gigantic swing, but with no contact. As he walked off of the field, someone in the other dugout hollered "Look at that shank! Look at him! He can't even hit the ball! What a shank!"

Wilson was known as Shank for the rest of his days.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
DatCloserKid
Minors (Double A)

Sorry for the delay, my Internet went kaput

1840s, Hoboken, NJ

Shank Jenkins kept returning week after week to play his favorite game of baseball on the Elysian Fields. He never grew tired of it, even though he still wasn't very good.

His team almost always lost, but sometimes they managed to pull a win out of thin air. Nobody, including the winners, knew how it happened. All they knew is that they were really happy that they actually won.

One day, Shank's team came to the fields ready to win a third straight game. That's right, three in a row. It was the first time it had ever happened. They were talking excitedly among themselves when a man came sprinting up to them shouting "Fellows, I have something for you!" He explained that he had just come from the home of Alexander Cartwright. Cartwright had a very important document that he addressed to them. It hadn't been open yet, but Shank fixed that, tearing the envelope open. He briefly skimmed it, and then announced proudly to his teammates that they were the official rules of baseball. Word got spread to the opposing team, and they all decided to play by Cartwright's rules.

Shank's team turned out to be winners, mostly because of the new rules, which favored their playing style.

By morning, word had spread of the new rules. The vast majority had deemed them 'Knickerbocker Rules'. The reaction to them appeared to be favorably.

With the next week came the ever-present baseball game. Or so they thought. As it turns out, the field was being occupied. Shank asked a man what was happening. He told them that two baseball clubs were playing here. They were the New York Nine and the New York Knickerbockers.

Shank settled in midway between third base and home plate to watch. He was astonished by the skill and speed of the players. He thought that he would never be as good as them. Even so, he was engrossed by the game and watched every pitch of a 23-1 blowout by the New York Nine.

He took his thoughts home. He had almost come to making a very important decision, but decided to sleep on it.

When he woke up the next morning, the choice was clear.

Wilson Albert 'Shank' Jenkins was quitting baseball.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:28 PM   #9
DatCloserKid
Minors (Double A)

1840s thru 1870s, Hoboken, NJ

Shank had never really put much thought into his life until now. He didn't go to college and didn't have a diploma, so he figured that no one would hire him because of that. He believed that the only way to support himself would be to start his own business. So he did just that.

The Shank Shop was founded in November 1845. It was a grocery store with a restaurant mixed in. Better yet, it was located across the street from the Elysian Fields.

Business boomed. Shank was finally able to move out. He bought a house just 4 blocks away from his shop.

The flow into his shop was steady, but it declined over the next few years. By 1865, he was only receiving 5 people a day on average, most of them going to the restaurant. So Shank decided to make the place a full time restaurant. Renovations made the part of the shop into the new kitchen, with the rest becoming tables. The old cashier table was now a bar. All in all, it had more of a saloon type atmosphere to it.

Maybe that's why business dropped. On a graph, there would be a cliff, going from 5 customers a day to just 1. To this day, nobody knows why business declined. All Shank knew was that he was losing money.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
DatCloserKid
Minors (Double A)

1871, Hoboken, NJ

It was a businessless Monday at the Shank Shop. It was 3:00 already without a customer, so Shank decided to close up shop and take a stroll around Hoboken. A newspaper stand on the side of the street caught his eye. He forked over his five cents and bought one. His strides went from purposeful to aimless, as did his route. He was totally engrossed in the paper.

There was the ever-present town gossip in the paper that he skimmed over. He found the weather section and finished that quickly. Then he spotted a title that he found interesting. It read "Baseball League Starting, Atlantics Need Manager". The title was referring to the Brooklyn Atlantics, a long standing dominant club. Shank decided he would go visit the Atlantics headquarters right then, but it started to rain and he headed home. Tomorrow would be the day.

He woke up bright and early to get a head start on the day. The Shank Shop was still intact, so Shank retraced his steps until he got to where he was yesterday. Then he pulled out a map, unfolded it, and plotted his way to the HQ.

Shank made it there by 8 PM, when they were just opening. A man that was fiddling with the locks on the doors eyed Shank suspiciously, but he told him his purpose, and the man let him in. He went straight ahead in the hallway to the owner's office. His name was Gabriel Barrera. He was a nice man, or so Shank was told.

"Hello, I'd like to inquire about the Brooklyn Atlantics managing job' Shank began.

"You've got the job." Was all Barrera said.

A great smile lit up Shank's face. He was the manager of the Atlantics.

Shank and Barrera continued discussions for a while. Shank would start tomorrow.*