Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:20 AM   #61
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutS|der View Post
how do we tell who we are?
The unique, random key is in the app.cfg file and it's called inst_key. But please don't tell me your key, I don't want to know it because it's supposed to be anonymous!
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #62
the_32_pitch
Banned

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
The usage tracker is fine with me and I'm really hoping that people don't see it as a data mining/spying conspiracy.

If I had an issue with it at all it would only be that it connects and uses the internet which would use resources and affect, however slightly, internet bandwidth.
the_32_pitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #63
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_32_pitch View Post

If I had an issue with it at all it would only be that it connects and uses the internet which would use resources and affect, however slightly, internet bandwidth.
Not really, it does only connect once when you start the game. It transfers the data collected during the previous game session and closes the connection again after that. That should need no longer than one or two seconds (OOTP loads the graphics files during that time) and the amount of data transferred is less than what you download when you open a simple web page.
During playing OOTP, the connection is closed and no data is transferred. OOTP collects the data "off-line", saves it to a file and when you start OOTP next time, it will be uploaded again.
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #64
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

Do you work this information into some kind of statistics ??

I have the feeling that I'm only scratching the surface on what this outstanding game has to offer.

I would appreciate if there was some kind of information like "65% of the users use feature X while feature Y would provide the same information, but would offer much more."
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #65
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Just came back after a long hiatus (still using 11) and I know I'm necro-ing here, but I don't like this at all.

If you want to know what people are doing with the game or how to improve it, why not just ask? There are pages upon pages of suggestions on this forum which have been debated back and forth, and you could go on that as to what to improve/add. There are bugs you can fix. There's the in game 2D graphics idea that has been batted around.

Plus data that you get in this manner might not give you an accurate direction anyway. Perhaps people who never do or use X feature might actually begin doing X if you improved it.

I'm sure your intentions are good, but I'm tired of software/websites constantly trying to weasel info out of me, and I don't allow games to do this sort of thing just on principle. I'll keep this option turned off, and if there's ever an occasion where I won't be able to turn something like this off, I won't be buying any more versions of OOTP.

Yeah, this is probably an overreaction and I could tone it down a bit, but that's my opinion.
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #66
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I want the best OOTP possible, and if this is one way to that, then so be it. Although I have many other suggestions as well
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #67
yougo1000
All Star Reserve

Quick Q, will we be able to see our individual data?
yougo1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #68
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Post Wonder View Post
Just came back after a long hiatus (still using 11) and I know I'm necro-ing here, but I don't like this at all.

If you want to know what people are doing with the game or how to improve it, why not just ask? There are pages upon pages of suggestions on this forum which have been debated back and forth, and you could go on that as to what to improve/add. There are bugs you can fix. There's the in game 2D graphics idea that has been batted around.

Plus data that you get in this manner might not give you an accurate direction anyway. Perhaps people who never do or use X feature might actually begin doing X if you improved it.

I'm sure your intentions are good, but I'm tired of software/websites constantly trying to weasel info out of me, and I don't allow games to do this sort of thing just on principle. I'll keep this option turned off, and if there's ever an occasion where I won't be able to turn something like this off, I won't be buying any more versions of OOTP.

Yeah, this is probably an overreaction and I could tone it down a bit, but that's my opinion.
Don't be silly. I can't remember what I did this morning so there is no survey or questionnaire that would even come close to capturing what I do each time I play the game. This is not about suggestions, it's about how users play the game. Evidence of non-use or certain patterns may alert the developers that a feature needs improvement. With this evidence they can ask us the right questions.

Please learn to read. No-one is trying to weasel anything out of you. This is a completely transparent, up front, polite question that allows you to say no.

The tracker is disabled by default. Given that, why the histrionics about something that has no effect unless you activate it?

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #69
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm sure your intentions are good, but I'm tired of software/websites constantly trying to weasel info out of me, and I don't allow games to do this sort of thing just on principle.
There is no request for nor use of anything which even remotely identifies individual OOTP users. The resulting tracker data is strictly a numerical aggregation of the ways users have played OOTP, e.g. resolutions used, operating systems, screens accessed, and so forth.

I understand the general concern, but in this instance at least, it's misplaced.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #70
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

* Edit: Don't want to argue with you, RchW. Happy Holidays.

Maybe that statement of mine was a bit strong, Big Orange... but I hope that tracking and internet access from OOTP, beyond what is essential for gameplay, never progesses beyond this.

I personally still won't use the tracker though. Just my choice.

Last edited by One Post Wonder; 12-21-2011 at 10:08 PM.
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #71
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Leave it disabled and move on.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #72
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyvol View Post
Leave it disabled and move on.
I agree, and that's what I have done, but I think he has a right to be concerned about privacy issues. I am also very, very tired of every entity that I do business with trying to obtain even more information about me. The words "trust us" are not good enough for me.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #73
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

i wonder if the people with the privacy issues ever use Facebook or any other social networking, do you also turn off cookies and all that as well because all that is tacking you.
Even though it's called a usage tracker it's not tracking you, there's no such thing as true privacy online you will always be tracked some how some way
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #74
Lou Gehrig
Minors (Triple A)

I'll turn in on to be a "team player".
Normally I would not but from the previous comments OOTP has earned our trust.
July 4, 1939

www.alsa.org
Lou Gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #75
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougo1000 View Post
Quick Q, will we be able to see our individual data?

I would love to see my own stats as well.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #76
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
i wonder if the people with the privacy issues ever use Facebook or any other social networking, do you also turn off cookies and all that as well because all that is tacking you.
Even though it's called a usage tracker it's not tracking you, there's no such thing as true privacy online you will always be tracked some how some way

NOT many people know that they can stop people from tracking a person online although its pretty hard now a days to prevent that from happening anyways. Hense the lawsuit between US Govt and Microsoft (1994 or 95). Of which Microsoft lost the case. The background of the case was not explained much on news or talked about. Bottomline Govt since that case has built the case of having the right to track at first it was with a warrant and in 2010 they passed a law where no need for warrants.

All I do is just unplug PC and wifi box.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #77
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You have your opinion about privacy issues, other have theirs.

I occasionally use Facebook, but I do not post pictures of myself, my family, or my friends. Unlike many people, I don't show where I've worked, or what school I went to.

I'm not an idiot--I know that true privacy is impossible in the online world. But I'm not going to make it any easier for any entity to obtain information about me.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs

Last edited by Antonin; 05-21-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:44 AM   #78
CmdrSharp
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin View Post
You have your opinion about privacy issues, other have theirs.

I occasionally use Facebook, but I do not post pictures of myself, my family, or my friends. Unlike many people, I don't show where I've worked, or what school I went to.

I'm not an idiot--I know that true privacy is impossible in the online world. But I'm not going to make it any easier for any entity to obtain information about me.
This surely must classify as some stage of paranoia.
CmdrSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #79
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrSharp View Post
This surely must classify as some stage of paranoia.
*yawn*
Old 10-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #80
Mikex5
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Ah, I don't play at work. But, I see how that could be a problem for some folks.
It could be a problem for me. Glad I don't have it at work.