Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 02-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
Brewers194
Minors (Double A)

Making it Big- The Steven Brooks Story

It should have been just another early morning for student Steven Brooks. Steven or Steve as most people called him, was a senior at Kings Park High School on Long Island. Kings Park was also the high school former Astros hero and future Hall of Famer Craig Biggio went to school. However, this particular morning was no ordinary morning.

The morning was special for three reasons. Reason number one was it was Steven's birthday. Today, Steven turned 18. Another reason was today was Steven's biggest game of his life. Steven was the starting center fielder on Kings Park's varsity baseball team, a team that is good year in and year out. Today was the third game of the Suffolk County Championship, the third and final game. The series was tied at 1-1 between the Kings Park Kingsmen took on the Bay Shore Marauders for title.

The third reason would probably be everyone's dream, but to Steven it was third to his family and winning. Today, June 15th, was the 2008 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft. Baseball America had Steven among the first 5 picks to be selected in the draft. That meant Steven could go to one of the following teams, in order: Seattle, Cincinnati, Houston, Philadelphia or the Yankees. Steven would even admit he would love to slide to pick #3 even if it does mean a little less money. Steven idolized Craig Biggio and because of it his favorite team was the Astros. He was a second baseman until his 8th grade year when he switched to center field, just like Craig did in 2003. The school had allowed Steven special privlidges throughout his special day like receiving phone calls from agents and the staff even set up a place for Steven to give an interview with ESPN after he got drafted in the gym.

The draft started at 12 noon and Steven was in his 7th period class, Physics. He knew he wouldn't get drafted right away, but we expecting a call before the end of class, about 12:30. His previous period which was lunch, he went to check out the set in the gym. They had hats and t-shirts for all 30 teams in the league, just in case he slid past his expected pick number.

Now, he was beginning to get anxious. No one expected him to be listening to the teacher's lecture, not even the teacher. The teacher knew Steven was about to make millions, and it wasn't going to because of physics. Then he looked up at the clock. It was 12:10. Surely the first pick had been made. Had he slid to number two? During his thoughts, he heard his phone rings. He looked at his teacher and the teacher gave a nod with a little smile. He walked into the hallway.

"Steven, it's me, Andy." Andy was Steven's agent, although Andy Lewis was hardly an agent. Andy was just his friend's father that a played a little professional ball and knew a lot about the draft process. Steven made the decision that he and his family would do the negotiating and deciding whether or not he was to sign.

"Hey Andy, did it happen yet?" Steven asked

"Well Steven, let me ask you, do you like Starbucks?"

"Andy, what are you tal-... no way."

"You're a Mariner buddy."

Steven yelled in excitement and ran into his classroom.

"I'm a Mariner!" yelled Steven. Steven was not cocky, not cocky at all. Steven was actually a very quiet, very laid back kid. He was just so excited he couldn't hold anything back. He ran to the gym, which was right down the hall and prepared for his interview.

As he walked in he was greeted with a roar of excitement of family and friends and he ran over and hugged his parents. His father, a New York city fireman was there trying to hold back tears. His mother, a teacher in the school, was crying as she hugged her son. Then he had to go talk to Karl Ravech, Peter Gammons and Steve Phillips on the second televised MLB Draft.

"And now we're joined by first overall pick, Steven Brooks. Welcome Steven and congratulations. How does it feel to be the first overall pick?" asked Karl.

"It's still unbelievable. I can't believe it. Just two years ago I was 5 foot 3 and didn't play on my JV team. It's amazing what a growth spurt, a lot of hardwork and a little motivation can do for you."

"Baseball America profiles you as a possible future 40/40 type player and a future superstar. Do you think it's fair to have such high expectations for an 18 year old kid, which if I understand correctly, you just turned 18?"

"Yes sir, I just turned 18 today. As for the question, I think all I have to do it go out and play as hard as I can. If those projections prove to be true that's great.

"What colleges are you verbally committed to and what are the chances of you signing with any of them?"

"A few big name schools, Vanderbilt, USC and Rice have been interested, but I just want to play ball, and it'd be really nice to get paid and do what I love. I think I'll sign with Seattle but nothing is set in stone."

"Alright Steven, thank you for your time and good luck in your career."

"Thank you Mr. Ravech."

So it was all over, Steven was a Mariner and about to make millions of dollars. But no, it wasn't over. There was still a game to play.
Brewers194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
petrel
Minors (Single A)

Rock on! This is going to be worth reading.

--Pet
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
Jamee999
All Star Reserve

Nice start. AND GO MARINERS!
Jamee999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
Brewers194
Minors (Double A)

It was the usual routine for Steven. Leave school after 8th period with his best friend Jim Caldwell and went out to the JV field to get an early start on pre-game warmups. Jim was also expecting to get drafted, but was expected to go in rounds 15-20.

""I still can't believe it Steve, we're going to be professional baseball players. We've been dreaming of this for years. We're going to be just like Biggio and Clemens." Roger Clemens was still Jim's favorite player of all time even though he had gotten himself into a sticky situation. Jim's favorite team was the Yankees, so he looked up to guys like Pettitte and Clemens growing up.

"Yea, I can't believe it either Jim. But remember, today isn't over. We still gotta beat Bay Shore. Just think of the celebration tonight. Not only will we be County Champions, we'll be professional ballplayers." The guys brought out a bucket of balls just like everyday and long tossed then took batting practice. Sometimes their coach, Coach Simmons would come down early to help the guys out.

Coach Simmons was a feared man. No one on the team even knew his first name, because no one dare ask it. He tolerated nothing. But he was one hell of a baseball coach. He really knew what he was doing. Today the coach was a little different. He pulled up right next to the field, got out and hugged Steven.

"Congratulations son, you've made me very proud."

"Thanks Coach."

"Just remember, the kid that's starting for Bay Shore today is also getting drafted. Three kids that will get drafted playing in the same game... up here in New York? That's something huh?"

"Yes sir, but we've had the better team all year." Steven had the ability to hit and talk at the same time, and as he was talking to the coach, launched the first ball Jim threw into the bleachers in center field.

Steven had the body of a ballplayer. He was tall, standing at a huge 6 foot 4. He was pretty lean though, only weighing in at 190 pounds. His smooth left handed stroke launched balls to all fields with power. His arm was strong for high school, but was considered below average for the major league level. He had blazing speed, running a 6.1 second 60 yard dash in a showcase held in Albany. Steven's only weakness was his tendency to swing at just about everything. Since he became such a good hitter, he thought he could hit anything pitched. His skills lagged in the patience department, but most scouts were able to looks past it.

Another pitch, another blast into the bleachers. A loud ping rang out. Steven often joked that he wants to sign with a major league team rather than go to college because he likes wood bats so much more than metal. As a huge baseball fan and somewhat of a purist, he always said "there was nothing better than the sound of a ball colliding with a well swung wood bat."

Then the final bell rung, it was time for the rest of the team to come out to the practice field. The biggest game of Steven's life, so far, was only an hour away.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #5
Brewers194
Minors (Double A)

The rest of the team filed out of the locker room and to the JV field which, on gamedays, was used as a practice field. The team took batting practice and threw before Bay Shore arrived. The massive complex was packed on this particular day. Not only had their local hero been drafted, their school was competing for their first Suffolk County title in 22 years. Also, it was Kings Park's turn to host the boys and girls track county championships, so the complex was extremely crowded. However, a vast majority of the people there were there to see the ball game, since it featured three future professional baseball players.

Bay Shore finally arrived at the school and was led by star pitcher Bud Mathis. Bud, a big 6 foot 3 lefty, was projected to get drafted in rounds 5-1. Mathis was supposed to face Jim, perhaps one of the best Suffolk County pitching matchups ever. Bud sported a fastball that topped out around 94 to compliment a nasty slider. Steven always had a tough time hitting lefties, but always had success against Bud in past summer leagues. Jim was no inferior pitcher to Bud, despite not being projected as high. Jim topped out around 95 and had a fantastic splitter. If you saw him pitch, you would realize why his favorite player is Roger Clemens.

Finally, the game started. Kings Park went with the same lineup they had all year which was Steven third and Jim fourth. Bud sent the first hitter down on three straight fastballs, at 92,94 and 93 respectively. The second hitter put up a little more of a fight, fouling off a fastball before Bud toyed with him with a slider. Steven then stepped in, perhaps the matchup of the century for Suffolk County High School baseball.

Bud and Steven, good friends, were now deadlocked in a stare down. Mathis kicked a fired for the first pitch, a strike on the outside corner. The second pitch, a slider, missed low. Bud couldn't let Steven get ahead of him, especially get himself into a fastball count because Steven was a smart hitter and could sit on a fast ball and launch it over the wall. Not afraid to fall behind, Bud threw a slider for a strike. The pitch surprised Steven and he just caught up with it and fouled it down the left field line. It was now 1-2. Steven was thinking slider all the way. Bud came set for the 1-2 pitch, and fooled Steven badly. Bud came out with a changeup and made Steven look foolish as he fanned at strike three. The chants started raining down on Steven.

"OVER-RATED... OVER-RATED...OVER-RATED"

How a kid that just got drafted first overall, before Mike Sanders, a Nebraska outfielder, who broke tons of Big XII records, over-rated? For the top of the second, Jim toed the rubber and struck out the side again, for the second time. It looked like it was going to be a classic pitcher's duel.

In the bottom of the fourth, Steven came back to the plate with Bud still preserving a no hitter. The first pitcher was a fastball that Steven pulled sharply into the Bay Shore dugout. Steven just smirked as he stepped back into the box. The next fastball was up and in for a ball, evening the count at 1-1. The third pitch of the at bat was a slider that was low and away but Steven swung anyway. Steven poked a seed into the left-center gap for a triple. However, Jim was unable to score Steven and the game went to the top of the fifth, still scoreless.

Jim surrendered a run in the sixth, and so did Bud, so the game was knotted up at one run a piece. Jim struck out the side in the seventh, ending his high school career in a nice outing. Jim finished with 7 innings, 1 run, 2 hits, 1 walk and 17 strikeouts. In the bottom of the seventh, the heart of the order was up for the Kingsmen. Steven led off, and he drew a rare walk surrendered by Mathis. Following the walk, Coach Simmons called for a bunt, from his clean up hitter. Maybe he figured Jim was going to be a pitcher anyway so he's give him some practice. The bunt was successful and Steven moved to second. The pressure started to get to Bud. He had never pitched in a spot this big before. Especially since Kings Park's #5 hitter, Joey Crawford, already had two hits. The first pitch was a ball, low and away. Joey wasted no time and swung at the second pitch. The ball was roped into right and scooped up by Bay Shore's rightfielder. Coach Simmons trusted Steven and sent him home. Steven, being the competitor that he was, charged home and slid headfirst into the catcher. All of the scouts and fans gasped as they just saw a kid potentially lose millions and millions of dollars. When the dust cleared. the umpire signaled safe, and Steven was unharmed.

Steven jumped into the arms of Jim as they were now county champions. The entire team ran out to mob Joey, the new hero. Today it wasn't about who was getting drafted, or who was about to make millions of dollars, it was about who was going to come up big when it mattered the most.

After all the celebrations, Bud walked over to Jim and shook his hand.

"You one this one Jim, but I'll be you in the Arizona League."

"What are you talking about?" asked Jim

"Congratulations, you're a Brewer?"

"I got drafted?"

"Yep, your dad just told my dad. He didn't want to tell you during the game. I'm a Blue Jay."

"Welcome to the club boys." said Steven as he walked over between the two and put his arms around their shoulders and posed for a photo.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:24 PM   #6
Brewers194
Minors (Double A)

NEW YORK-- Long Island sensation Steven Brooks left today from JFK International Airport to the scenic Northwest where he'll begin his professional baseball career. Brooks was told by Seattle general manager Bill Bavasi that he will bypass rookie ball and report directly to the Northwest League. Seattle affiliate in the Northwest League is the Everett Aquasox, in Everett, Washington. Steven pulled an unprecedented move when he signed on the first day of the draft for six million dollars. Opening Day for the Northwest League is on June 24, a week from today. Since Steven has no exams to take and since his baseball season ended with a loss to Division High School in the Long Island championship, Steven will fly to Seattle Airport and start playing next week. Graduation already took place, so Steven's last day of school was Draft Day.

As for the other draftees, both of them signed as well on the same day, a decision all three made together. They decided they were all going to make the decision together.

"We're either going to fail together or succeed together. The three of us have been good friends for years, so we're really excited. So what if we're all on different teams? We're all living our dreams together. Who knows, if it doesn't work out, we can start a baseball card shop of something." joked Brooks.

Both Mathis and Caldwell, who got drafted in the 8th round by Toronto and the 10th round by Milwaukee, respectively, will report to rookie ball.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:54 PM   #7
Brewers194
Minors (Double A)

Seattle's New Emerald Lighting Up Northwest League in Pro Debut

Seattle's top prospect Steven Brooks is letting no one doubt his ability in his pro debut. As of June 30th, Brooks has 25 at bats, is hitting .400 and has one homer. He also stole 4 bases. Most importantly, Brooks' biggest weakness, if he has one, is his plate discipline. In his 25 at bats, he has only fanned twice. Although it's only the minor leagues, he is also winning, leading Everett to a perfect 6-0 record thus far. His lone at bat against a lefty resulted in his only home run oddly enough. Sure, it's a small sample size to jump to conclusions, but Brooks is considered to be the top prospect in baseball by most Baseball America writers.

According to local papers, Brooks is already a local hero. He was greeted off the plane with about two hundred people at the airport. Seattle fans can't wait for this guy to get to Safeco. The Aquasox have sold out every home game this far, most of them Mariner fans making the trip, to see their new emerald.

Brooks Tracker: 6 G, 25 AB, .400/.464/.520, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 4 SB

Last edited by Brewers194; 02-23-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
Brewers194
Minors (Double A)

Just for the next couple days I'm going to throw this on hold. I want to go a little more in depth and a little slower. I just have some things the next few days so I'll resume this sometime next week.