Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

View Poll Results: Which does the better job of putting you in the manager's chair?, which has the better all around AI
OOTP 14 67 54.47%
Football Manager 2013 56 45.53%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

OOTP vs. FM Revisited

I did this thread a couple of years ago, and thought with the release of a couple of versions from each since, it might be fun to re-visit.

here is the original thread:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...otp-vs-fm.html

Anyway, let's restrict this conversation to just a handful of times. Last time I felt people started showing some bias and didn't always stick to the criteria which was originally prescribed. I guess that is to be expected though based on the fact the question is being asked at OOTP Developments.

So here is goes...which of the two does a better job of putting you in the manager's chair? Which has a stronger AI, and which is the most realistic?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

I haven't played a ton of FM... and haven't checked out the latest version yet... I generally enjoy OOTP much more, due to the sandbox / customization route that the game has always taken... Where FM is much more rigid and static. But as far as how the question is framed, even with my limited experience playing FM, it has the more robust AI overall.

The realism factor is a wash... as I don't think either one is remotely close to being a realistic representation of running a real sports franchise.
Nunyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
LondonYankee
Minors (Triple A)

I've played FM for 10+ years and only discovered OOTP 3 months ago. OOTP has quickly leapt to the top of my must play list. I feel the customisable options offer a much more immersive experience. Both games have things that snap that immersion but to me FM has more of them. Storylines are much maligned on this forum but they offer a depth FM will never have because SI always say they couldn't add such things due to fears of legal action.
FM has also become more like having a real job in the last couple of years and whilst you can take OOTP to that level too if you like it seems like you're forced down that path with FM.
That said the latest reveals for FM14 look exciting so come November that may have dragged me back in.
Both games are amazing but I feel OOTP gets my vote in this poll.
LondonYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Ive played FM in the past. You can create your own teams, uniforms and logos, and stuff so that type of customization is there. It is very in-depth, and has excellent management options and immersion with strategies, signing players, creating plays and formations, press conferences, player and staff meetings, etc. There is only one problem for me, no matter how hard I try I can't get into soccer. So bias is the deal-breaker. OOTP will always be the best in my eyes because, well, I love baseball. Now lets imagine if somehow FM and OOTP could be morphed together (while focusing on baseball of course!), that would be a game I would pay $100 for.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I make it a tie. How come you left no poll choice for that?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
LondonYankee
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BacksJosh View Post
Ive played FM in the past. You can create your own teams, uniforms and logos, and stuff so that type of customization is there.
You can indeed do all that stuff but it's way harder to achieve than doing so in OOTP. Plus once you've started a save you can't edit anything. If I want to change a teams name/logo/uniform in OOTP 10 seasons in, I can and can do so in minutes. Not possible in FM. And any editing you can do takes much longer. I can create and start a league in OOTP in no time. It can take weeks of work to get an FM edit to the same level of realism.
LondonYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonYankee View Post
You can indeed do all that stuff but it's way harder to achieve than doing so in OOTP. Plus once you've started a save you can't edit anything. If I want to change a teams name/logo/uniform in OOTP 10 seasons in, I can and can do so in minutes. Not possible in FM. And any editing you can do takes much longer. I can create and start a league in OOTP in no time. It can take weeks of work to get an FM edit to the same level of realism.
You are right, I had forgotten about that. And I remember you have to use a separate editor program that isn't very user friendly to customize things.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
because this isn't soccer
Old 08-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
FM sure is soccer (well, association football).
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.

Last edited by The Wolf; 08-22-2013 at 02:13 PM.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
FM sure is soccer (well, association football).
I think he's referring to the consistent frequency of ties in the game of soccer.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
There are ties in baseball, you know.
Le Grande Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
There are ties in baseball, you know.
well, yes, but only in spring games
Old 08-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Wrong. As usual.

Here is the last one (that I could find):
June 30, 2005 Houston Astros at Cincinnati Reds Box Score and Play by Play - Baseball-Reference.com

Here is a famous one:
New York Yankees vs. Baltimore Orioles - Recap - September 18, 2003 - ESPN

Most ties in a season is 10 by the 1904 Tigers.
Most ties for the history of a franchise is 163 by the New York-San Francisco Giants 1883-2013
JohnHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bias? No never!

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
Cras
Hall Of Famer

I love OOTP, but FM is a more complete sim. Yeah it does serve a different purpose, but it does a better job.

That doesn't mean OOTP doesn't do its job, infact OOTP does it very well, FM is just even better. The players feel alive, there is press to deal with, other members of your staff, owners, directors, you get the feel for the ebb and flow of a season, you have your own career to worry about. It really is a very well made game, and it took many years for it to become what it is.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoward View Post
Wrong. As usual.

Here is the last one (that I could find):
June 30, 2005 Houston Astros at Cincinnati Reds Box Score and Play by Play - Baseball-Reference.com

Here is a famous one:
New York Yankees vs. Baltimore Orioles - Recap - September 18, 2003 - ESPN

Most ties in a season is 10 by the 1904 Tigers.
Most ties for the history of a franchise is 163 by the New York-San Francisco Giants 1883-2013
It was a tongue in cheek comment to start with...are you really that much of a nerd that you have to go and start citing sources about a subject that has nothing to do with the thread? THe as usual part is what really gets me. Go crawl back under you rock.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #17
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

You mad bro?
JohnHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #18
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras View Post
I love OOTP, but FM is a more complete sim. Yeah it does serve a different purpose, but it does a better job.

That doesn't mean OOTP doesn't do its job, infact OOTP does it very well, FM is just even better. The players feel alive, there is press to deal with, other members of your staff, owners, directors, you get the feel for the ebb and flow of a season, you have your own career to worry about. It really is a very well made game, and it took many years for it to become what it is.
Yes, this is the same sentiment I have. I find myself wishing OOTP was on the level of FM, (as if it were I would never leave the house again) but the reality of the situation is, it just isn't. A few versions ago I may have argued differently, but I just feel like FM has really made some long strides over the last couple of versions. It has streamlined everything, filled in the holes, and built on top of solid foundations. OOTP has made some strong steps also, but I just don't feel it measures up to the same quality FM does. I'm not really sure it's ever going to either. I keep telling myself it will someday, but the reality of it is, I don't think it will. It may keep making strides, but it feels like SI will always be ahead of the curve regardless. It also appears to me that Markus doesn't really want to create the same type of detail modeled in FM...why can't say that definitively, but it just seems that way to me. I hope I am wrong.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #19
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoward View Post
You mad bro?
It was just the way he said that and then even went so far as to cite a source on something that was never even a real topic of discussion to start with. He successfully did it to get under my skin.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #20
philliesphan26
Minors (Triple A)

Oh look. Another thread where people are mad at each other.
philliesphan26 is offline   Reply With Quote