Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
Aumakua
Major Leagues

Metacritic 3.3 score?

what happened? looks like a bunch of trolls crashed the rating, I would think those could be removed..
Aumakua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Thanks for pointing it out. We'll look into it.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:21 PM   #3
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aumakua View Post
what happened? looks like a bunch of trolls crashed the rating, I would think those could be removed..
I went in and flagged the written reviews and marked them not helpful. Looks like they've all come in over the past two weeks.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #4
Cod
All Star Reserve

There's a lot of discontent about the game on the Steam forums as well. Don't know how true some of the stuff is, but lots of discussions about the game crashing systems.
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:36 PM   #5
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

The problem at Metacritic is people purposely giving zeros because they don't feel a game like OOTP deserves to be ranked the best game of the year so far...based on only 7 reviews.
PSUColonel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:10 PM   #6
Charley575
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
There's a lot of discontent about the game on the Steam forums as well. Don't know how true some of the stuff is, but lots of discussions about the game crashing systems.
Now I haven't visited the Steam forums at all, but I have noticed on the patch prior to the current one that if I tried a long term sim it could CTD after about 20-ish seasons. That was on the Steam version. I don't really play that way I was just toying around with something so it was not the end of the world to me but may be worth looking into.
Charley575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

3.3/10 is a bit unfair. all those people rating it a 10 are just as irrational as the people rating it a 0 to "fix" the rating. unless you make it relative only to passively-played sports management games (may not be the best title for a category, but gets the idea across).

i enjoy this game immensely, but it takes a very particular personality to be able to enjoy a game like ootp. a majority of gamers believe this type of game to be boring.. simple as that, no need to get offended by it. it shouldn't be anywhere near game of the year when compared to all games.

being the best sports management game doesn't make it a 10-rated game. especially relative to how little competition there is and the resources being put into creation of it...

that's not a complaint! it's simple fact that ootp developments cannot compete with a budget of say "Dragon Age" or whatever it's called. it would be unfair to compare ootp to sports games made by EA... they simply don't hve the resources.

consider how long it took to get as complicated as it is... a company with a big budget (and a market to warrant it) could have created all of this in a year or 2... not 15+ or whatever it is.

if this illicits any emotion it should not. you don't go out and buy a 2-gallon bucket and expect it to hold 5 gallons. in the same breath, maybe some people hate 2-gallon buckets, and that's their perogative and it should be apart of its rating. (relative to a "bucket of the year" type thing)

Last edited by NoOne; 06-18-2016 at 01:52 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #8
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

They don't appear to like Football Manager 2016 much either...however I get the feeling that dislike is for a much different reason. The reason for the 0's and 1's given to OOTP is resentment, pure and simple. These people think they are making the world right.

I would like to point this out however...the 9's and 10's you say are just as ridiculous, are mirrored by critic reviews. I am not seeing 7's or 7.5's or even 8's for that matter from critics. I would say the critic scores are extremely high...so even though OOTP may not be everyone's cup of tea, why won't these particular people accept OOTP may be a great game? Faster Than Light sort of reminds me of OOTP. It's not flashy, has terrible graphics and sound, but it garners 9's and 10's also. It apparently has incredible AI and gameplay. It's not for me, but I can accept it is probably a great game.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:47 PM   #9
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

definitely. those scores should all be relative to the category.

hmm, is the metacritic 93 relative to category and then the people voting do somethign different? bah, doesn't matter. i'd be totally wrong about hte 93, above if it's relative.

and, the fact it keeps improving each year is a testament to the dedication of the people who make it... as i read it again i feel like more asterisks could be in there, lol.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:24 PM   #10
edm
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
i enjoy this game immensely, but it takes a very particular personality to be able to enjoy a game like ootp. a majority of gamers believe this type of game to be boring.. simple as that, no need to get offended by it.
I'm sure everyone here who plays ootp is aware ootp isn't everyone's cup of tea. In fact. when ever I write a review I point that out.

That doesn't make it fair to rate the game poorly simply because you don't like the genre. That's why gaming sites like IGN have specific reviewers for specific games. They don't ask a strategy gamer who dislikes sports games to review madden football. So why go on metacritic and vote down some game you have no interest in?

As far as people rating it 10 being just as bad. I've been playing ootp since version 2 and have no problem at all giving it a 10. Can it improve, sure, but when compared to other sports sims (specifically baseball), and how much enjoyment I get out of ootp, my conscious is clean giving it a 10.

Last edited by edm; 06-21-2016 at 12:59 PM.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:45 PM   #11
Kent814
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by edm View Post
I don't think you're breaking any news here, I'm sure everyone here who plays ootp is aware ootp isn't everyone's cup of tea. In fact. when ever I write a review I point that out.

That doesn't make it fair to rate the game poorly simply because you don't like the genre. That's why gaming sites like IGN have specific reviewers for specific games. They don't ask a strategy gamer who dislikes sports games to review madden football. So why go on metacritic and vote down some game you have no interest in?

As far as people rating it 10 being just as bad. I've been playing ootp since version 2 and have no problem at all giving it a 10. Can it improve, sure, but when compared to other sports sims (specifically baseball), and how much enjoyment I get out of ootp, my conscious is clean giving it a 10.
Love your profile pic, that conan bit was hilarious
Kent814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:56 PM   #12
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

a fellow Philly guy!!
Old 06-21-2016, 12:21 PM   #13
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

edm,

you misread... i said people rating it 10 to fix it are jsut as bad as the people rating it a 0 to fix it... if you genuinely put a 10 in, that's the way it's supposed to work, even if we disagree about what a 10 is... just like movies on imdb. some give 10's out like candy, some are more restrictive about it... which is the best way? neither! lol! the 'best' way would be a scale (that means more than just 1-10 or 1-5*) that all will follow which isn't possible.

you are right, it makes no sense to be petty about game ratings. it's juvenile whether uprating or downrating something. i do believe the instigator holds more of the blame, if that's even important. as far as i am concerned, 2+ people doing something wrong, even if in retalliation, doesn't help anything.

that quote of mine you used was a disclaimer, not a newsbreak. 0's are clearly some emotionally unstable people, but it isn't unreasonable to see some low scores. i don't frequent these sites at all. i don't know their SOP. i bet some of that nonsense gets cleaned up - someone mentioned above they could flag comments/ratings for moderation.

Last edited by NoOne; 06-21-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:18 PM   #14
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

So, please help me understand something because right now I'm a little PO'ed at the usual crap seen on the Internet, anytime you allow the public too much leeway.

If I click on the "104," the number of bad user reviews, I get exactly one, ONE, bad written review. What, are the other 103 "people" deliberately clicking crappy numbers and leaving no comments whatsoever?

If so, could it be that people with an agenda are at work here? If so, what is the use of a web site like Metacritic if it allows such nefarious behavior?

The Internet. Without it, I would never have found OOTPB. But it sure can be a rat hole in other respects.

Here's the dumbass review; at least this guy took the time to type nonsense:
Attached Images

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #15
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Many are purposely giving 0's and 1's in attempt to offset what they see as an overrated game. I highly doubt most of them have even used OOTP.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #16
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

They probably have teh mads because it's not Harry Potter.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:58 PM   #17
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

well i signed up for metacritic and posted my rating. If we all take the time to rate it, it should get better. Though honestly, if i'm on the fence about the game, I'd look at the critics review

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:29 PM   #18
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Many are purposely giving 0's and 1's in attempt to offset what they see as an overrated game. I highly doubt most of them have even used OOTP.
103 people (or 104, if you count the guy who actually took the time to say anything) are merely clicking the red end of the scale because . . . they resent the game? I cannot picture that. What I can picture is a handful of people with multiple aliases doing something harmful because they have an ulterior motive.

What brought this up was looking for the Metacritic rating that I heard about - 92 out of 100 from critics - to quote in the "I Don't Think I Like OOTP 17" thread in support of somebody mentioning that we don't need to fear troll threads and subjects as much anymore - not that I thought the OP was a troll.

So, I go to Metacritic where, next to the 92, is the User Score of 3.6, and I said "What? How can that be?" Especially given the array of user ratings shown below. But no, one must click on the 161 Ratings to see the array of negative ones that are driving down the User Score, all but one with no comments whatsoever.

What a crock. Look, this game is not perfect (I myself dumped on this version recently) but it certainly does not deserve such nonsense. Metacritic should be ashamed of itself.
Attached Images

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:35 PM   #19
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

The resentment is this: they resent a game like OOTP being the highest rated game on Metacritic...they can't fathom how a game like this has garnered such scores, so in their minds, they are balancing by things out by giving a 0 or 1.

I'm not really sure there is anything Metacritic can do about it.

Last edited by PSUColonel; 07-18-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #20
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Bru, this was like a month ago. Why are you getting worked up about it now.

The internet is full of horrible people, most of whom congregate on the steaming cesspool known as Reddit.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote