Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

View Poll Results: Would you use the historical exhibition game feature?
Yes, great idea, I'd use it! 115 57.21%
Nope, waste of time, improve the damned trade AI instead. 86 42.79%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #21
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Like I said before, I would love to see it added. Mainly, because I see it as a stepping stone towards adding a "tournament mode." One of my fondest memories of playing Strat o Matic as a kid was throwing all the teams card sets into a pillow case and blindly picking them out for tournaments......the cards in the pillowcase was dictated by my mother....the original method was to cut up little slips of paper with each teams name and draw them out of a hat. Of course, those little slips of paper would sometimes end up making a mess That being said, I see no reason to call out those that voted no. Everyone should be able to state their opinion. Just like I do when I say adding graphics to the this game is a total waste of time.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #22
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I voted no because I would not use it. I'm guessing Makus' "improve the damned trade AI instead." was a bit tongue in cheek and shouldn't be taken literally.

I do think it is a good idea though and hope it would make it in.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #23
JMDurron
All Star Starter

I wouldn't use it, so even though I can see why others would want to use it, I voted no. I'd prefer to have the marginal time needed to make this mode operate spent elsewhere, on things I do notice and would use.

It seems to me like there are more "make it this instead!" or "Oooh, that's part way to this thing!" responses than "yes, I would use precisely that feature as designed!"

Personally, time being finite, I'd rather add a "Best Result - " item added to all of the Achievements, instead of just "First Time" and "Last Time", if we are talking about small things that would be nice to have. Or, have hitting streaks for players that are in the Top 3 for that league year still display on the leaderboard, even if that player has a longer career streak in their player history.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:15 AM   #24
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorseMoose View Post
I'd personally like it for all modes, and if in a league mode, I'd keep track of Exhibition stats.

Could also allow injuries to happen. Also help out your future PR guy in "predicting" the World Series playoffs.
That is already supported. You can play exhibition games in your league and the stats are tracked as a split "Exhibition" for players.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #25
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
You guys are right we have the right to disagree about what I should or could be in the game to each his own. However did suggest that if by adding this feature Marcus is not cool. That's like saying th team is going to neglect other areas just to add this feature that's pretty lame we been playing this game long enough that we should have trust that the team will do their best to make the game more enjoyable for all of us including fixing or enhancing things that can be improved

Chargers= Despicable Traitors

Last edited by Padreman; 01-29-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #26
lightgrenade07
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
Honestly I can't understand why anybody would vote no for this. If you're going to vote no at least give your argument of why not because this feature will enhance the game
I voted no because I wouldn't use thus feature, and as others have said, time spent coding this would take away from areas I'd rather see emphasized (promotion/relegation, more options for playoffs and feeder leagues, improvements to trade AI and schedule generator).

Last edited by lightgrenade07; 01-29-2016 at 11:57 AM.
lightgrenade07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #27
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Hmmmmm....from reading this thread, I've come to the conclusion that the best solution possible is for Markus to be cloned. Each purchaser of OOTP would in the words of DePeche Mode, get their own personal Markus...or if you prefer Marcus..they could dictate wanted features to

Last edited by David Watts; 01-29-2016 at 12:07 PM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:10 PM   #28
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

I also agree that an option to play a 7-game series from the start screen would be fun as well.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:17 PM   #29
T-Bone
Minors (Double A)

I think it that is going to be coded - exhibition series would be more useful.
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:22 PM   #30
lightgrenade07
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Hmmmmm....from reading this thread, I've come to the conclusion that the best solution possible is for Markus to be cloned. Each purchaser of OOTP would in the words of DePeche Mode, get their own personal Markus...or if you prefer Marcus..they could dictate wanted features to
Reach out and touch base!
lightgrenade07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:22 PM   #31
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Yeah, someone to hear your prayers. Someone who cares.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #32
swoboda
All Star Starter

Yes
And yes to world series option as well
Would use them both

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:04 PM   #33
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Honestly I can't understand why anybody would vote no for this. If you're going to vote no at least give your argument of why not because this feature will enhance the game
Why should we? You started out calling anyone who disagreed trolls. That's crap. Seems like a mob mentality is taking over the boards.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #34
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Why should we? You started out calling anyone who disagreed trolls. That's crap. Seems like a mob mentality is taking over the boards.
OK bro don't stretch iT, mob mentality. I said later on we can disagree. So you have every right to say that you won't be playing that feature and that's great if that's the way you feel, but to say not to add it simply because you think Marcus and the team are going to completely neglect everything else that's lame. give them credit This is their job I seriously doubt they're going to cut corners on everything else just by adding this feature.

But regardless I apologize if I offended anybody but I do not want to be dragged into a fight over this

Last edited by Padreman; 01-29-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #35
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I voted no as well. I feel the future of OOTP is based on how well it performs for fictional modern day leagues, rather than historical. That is not to say there aren't those who enjoy historical play, and while i realize this, I just feel with the limited resources OOTPD has, those efforts are best spent on other areas of the simulation.

Last edited by PSUColonel; 01-29-2016 at 01:42 PM.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #36
40-40 Club
Bat Boy

Simply yes!
40-40 Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #37
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

I'm a historical guy, so yes, I would use it - just like other "useless" things like having teams from different years play in a league with each other

But I also understand that guys who don't play historical have no use for that and therefore have every right to vote "no"
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #38
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
OK bro don't stretch iT, mob mentality. I said later on we can disagree. So you have every right to say that you won't be playing that feature and that's great if that's the way you feel, but to say not to add it simply because you think Marcus and the team are going to completely neglect everything else that's lame. give them credit This is their job I seriously doubt they're going to cut corners on everything else just by adding this feature.

But regardless I apologize if I offended anybody but I do not want to be dragged into a fight over this
I never said anything like the bold. I simply don't want or need the feature proposed. There is no fight. Name calling is the problem

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:51 PM   #39
DB930
Major Leagues

Quote:
People been talking about this for years so yes.

On a sidenote I wonder who the five trolls are that voted "no"
I voted "no". And 1), I didn't do it to "troll", and 2), I would've given my reasoning then, but I was just about to turn the computer off and go to bed, so I didn't have the time.

The way the question was presented was "Yes, I'd use it." Well, I wouldn't use it, so I voted no. While on the face of it this seems like an obvious "Sure, why not?" sort of feature, I'd personally rather see Markus and the team spend their time on other stuff, things that actually add depth and improvements to our leagues (better trade and roster-management AI, WBC-style tournament support, more features for associations, an increase in the available number of namesets to get away from the catch-all "Hispanic" set, etc.).

Also, this isn't the NFL, and a 1-game exhibition in baseball isn't going to prove as much as it would in the other sports. If the 1927 Yankees play the 1962 Mets 100 times, the Yankees are going to win at least 80 of those. Maybe even 90 or 95. But the Mets will still win a few. So the result of a single-game isn't really going to tell you much about which team is better than the other. You'd have to play out a series, or a season, to determine that. So then, what would be the point of this option?

Last edited by DB930; 01-29-2016 at 01:55 PM.
DB930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #40
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB930 View Post
I'd personally rather see Markus and the team spend their time on other stuff, things that actually add depth and improvements to our leagues (better trade and roster-management AI, WBC-style tournament support, more features for associations, an increase in the available number of namesets to get away from the catch-all "Hispanic" set, etc.).
Again if you think they and by they I mean the OOTP team but then sending some time working to add a specific feature to the game any feature not just this one that they will completely ignore and stop working on anything and everything else is what I don't agree with. I'm pretty sure they can Multi-task. I think they can work in this and anything else for that matter and work on something else at the same time. Give them the benefit of the doubt.