Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
KGrob
Minors (Double A)

Any Good Rules of Thumb?

For building a winning team in OOTPX, I mean. I'd love to hear what your "Top Three" or just your favorite or a particular pet peeve or anything really. Could be fielding, pitching, scouting, budget, drafting...anything.

Like, always ignore what the AI does at SS and put your best defender there (I just made that up, but if that is what you do, then I'd love to hear those sorts of things).

Maybe you ignore ERA and strictly use WHIP to determine how your pitching rotation is set up.

Always put at least 40% of your scouting budget into International scouting (again, I just made that up, but that actually seems like a good idea to me and I'm looking for anything here).

Always have your hottest cheerleader doing high kicks when your opponents best batter is up (okay, I know we don't have cheerleaders, but I'd like to have a couple, and again, I'm just looking for anything you might favor).

Anything really you can think of.

Thanks.
KGrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
KGrob
Minors (Double A)

Although I'm learning the basic mechanics of OOTP and baseball, I'm still pretty new to all this.

It's a great game, very fun, but I'm really struggling to build a winning team.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Pitching, pitching, pitching. As much as you can get. SP first, a lights out closer and fill with MR to round it out.

Defense, especially up the middle, but do not pick a defensive no-hit IF over a good bat.

I like power. If I have the luxury of choosing between certain players I take the power.

Eye. When everything is equal choose the guy who can get on base. Then the power can drive them in.

Last tie breaker is speed. I still prefer 3-run HR to stolen bases any day

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 06-07-2009 at 11:41 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #4
KGrob
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Pitching, pitching, pitching. As much as you can get. SP first, a lights out closer and fill with MR to round it out.

Defense, especially up the middle, but do not pick a defensive no-hit IF over a good bat.

I like power. If I have the luxury of choosing between certain players I take the power.

Eye. When everything is equal choose the guy who can get on base. Then the power can drive them in.
Thanks. Great ideas.

I know that is all basic to you guys. But I feel like I'm missing something fundamental that all of you take for granted. The problem is, I just don't know what it is yet.

I'm hoping the light clicks on here soon. Or I'm going to go bald or gray...whoops...too late for that.

Anyway, I love reading your thoughts. Every little bit helps.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGrob View Post
Thanks. Great ideas.

I know that is all basic to you guys. But I feel like I'm missing something fundamental that all of you take for granted. The problem is, I just don't know what it is yet.

I'm hoping the light clicks on here soon. Or I'm going to go bald or gray...whoops...too late for that.

Anyway, I love reading your thoughts. Every little bit helps.
If you are really bad and need to wait for prospects then defense can help. I like to have versatile backups. IF that can play multiple positions. I play OF in all 3 fields during ST to get them ratings.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:06 AM   #6
KGrob
Minors (Double A)

Not all my seasons have been bad ones. I pre-ordered OOTP-X and played OOTP-9, the demo. But then I liked version 9 so much, I went ahead and bought it because I didn't want to wait the 3 weeks or so until the game came out. OOTP must love players like me.

Anyway, I actually won the entire shooting match once and have been to the playoffs several times...all that in version 9. For some reason, version X is kicking my butt.

Right now, I'm in my 4th season in OOTP-X (I got it on the first day for preorders).

My Fictional League has 40 teams with 4 divisions in each of two sub divisions that all go to the playoffs along with 4 wild card teams.

I finished 87-75 (1st) in the first season with fictional and random players.

I finished 81-81 (3rd) in season two, out of the playoffs. I began getting into financial trouble.

I finished 78-84 (2nd) in season three, out of the playoffs. Bad money woes.

In my 4th year, I was doing absolutely horrible (12 games below .500 very early in the season...I couldn't pitch, hit, field, nothing) and finally, out of disgust, I let the AI take over for awhile while I watched. The AI promptly canned many of my favorite players, brought up a bunch of my young minors guys, and I've actually turned around the season in spectacular fashion...I'm at 72-56 right now and in first place in my division...I'm winning everything right now.

The moral of the story...I'm not sure...but I damn sure seem to have a lot of trouble seeing the young talent in my organization. Apparently it's there, and lots of it, I just can't see it...or at least I'm really struggling there...the AI can see it.

Just FYI.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:13 AM   #7
KGrob
Minors (Double A)

In OOTP-X, I can't seem to spot veteran talent either.

Over the last two seasons, I've brought in some expensive talent. They looked good on paper...but none of them actually know what a baseball is...the pitchers can't throw...the hitters can't bat...it's a comedy of errors on the field. LMAO.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:14 AM   #8
KGrob
Minors (Double A)

Bah. For some reason, I still think it's a fabulous game. I suppose if it were easy, it wouldn't be fun.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Rules of thumb...

1. Get pitching.
  2. Get more pitching.
  3. A lot of pitching is good defense. Get that too.
  4. Don't trust anyone over 30.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But I feel like I'm missing something fundamental that all of you take for granted. The problem is, I just don't know what it is yet.
Pick guys with higher ratings.

As has been said, starting pitching is key. It is easier to mix and match relievers to find a decent bullpen.

Not trusting anyone over 30 is a good idea, though don't take it as a hard and fast rule. Just be very paranoid. Young and athletic is generally better than old and plodding.

My big thing when building a team is acquiring depth. I love utility players who play multiple positions well. My Triple-A clubs are always filled with players who play several spots decently.

Make sure the left side of your infield has strong arms. There are a few things I avoid more than third basemen and shortstops who can't throw. Same with right field.

Don't be afraid to splurge on the odd free agent ace if he isn't too old and won't hamstring your budget.
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
KGrob
Minors (Double A)

Thanks guys. Great thoughts.

I've been learning about the "over 30" thing. They do seem to be much more "miss" than "hit" when compared to the younger guys.

I'll really look into that "arm" thing. Thanks again there.

Very fun game. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #12
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelric View Post
Pick guys with higher ratings.

As has been said, starting pitching is key. It is easier to mix and match relievers to find a decent bullpen.

Not trusting anyone over 30 is a good idea, though don't take it as a hard and fast rule. Just be very paranoid. Young and athletic is generally better than old and plodding.

My big thing when building a team is acquiring depth. I love utility players who play multiple positions well. My Triple-A clubs are always filled with players who play several spots decently.

Make sure the left side of your infield has strong arms. There are a few things I avoid more than third basemen and shortstops who can't throw. Same with right field.

Don't be afraid to splurge on the odd free agent ace if he isn't too old and won't hamstring your budget.
kind of a random coincedence, but in my season I signed my 25 year old created player (named after me) as a free agent, then he had 2 consecutive seasons cut short by long injuries due to hamstring strains. I traded him for some great spects and, luckily but also ironically, the injuries mustve hurt his production, cuz he went from a .330 hitter who could hit 40 home runs and play great defense to a .300 guy who could hit 30 home runs and field decently. good, but not worth 18 mil a year IMO. The specs have all made the all star game at least once, 1 has been up 3 years while the other 2 have been up 2 years.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:53 PM   #13
cbbl
All Star Starter

Quote:
Thanks guys. Great thoughts.

I've been learning about the "over 30" thing. They do seem to be much more "miss" than "hit" when compared to the younger guys.

I'll really look into that "arm" thing. Thanks again there.

Very fun game. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
Your learning curve is exactly what makes this game fun. If you win the World Series year 1 and every year thereafter, the game gets boring quick. Better to start out horrible and have a "reverse dynasty" (last place for many years), figuring out along the way how to build a winner! Frustrating? Sure! Satisfying once you've figured it out? You bet!!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
toxicavenger74
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Not all my seasons have been bad ones. I pre-ordered OOTP-X and played OOTP-9, the demo. But then I liked version 9 so much, I went ahead and bought it because I didn't want to wait the 3 weeks or so until the game came out. OOTP must love players like me.

Anyway, I actually won the entire shooting match once and have been to the playoffs several times...all that in version 9. For some reason, version X is kicking my butt.

Right now, I'm in my 4th season in OOTP-X (I got it on the first day for preorders).

My Fictional League has 40 teams with 4 divisions in each of two sub divisions that all go to the playoffs along with 4 wild card teams.

I finished 87-75 (1st) in the first season with fictional and random players.

I finished 81-81 (3rd) in season two, out of the playoffs. I began getting into financial trouble.

I finished 78-84 (2nd) in season three, out of the playoffs. Bad money woes.

In my 4th year, I was doing absolutely horrible (12 games below .500 very early in the season...I couldn't pitch, hit, field, nothing) and finally, out of disgust, I let the AI take over for awhile while I watched. The AI promptly canned many of my favorite players, brought up a bunch of my young minors guys, and I've actually turned around the season in spectacular fashion...I'm at 72-56 right now and in first place in my division...I'm winning everything right now.

The moral of the story...I'm not sure...but I damn sure seem to have a lot of trouble seeing the young talent in my organization. Apparently it's there, and lots of it, I just can't see it...or at least I'm really struggling there...the AI can see it.

Just FYI.
I would be interested to see your league team locations/names and overall structure. I always start small leagues and expand up to larger leagues so I am always interested in leagues that have more teams that the current MLB.
toxicavenger74 is offline   Reply With Quote