Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #1
Obechkinsbuddy
Minors (Single A)

Would you retire the number

Would u retire this players number Juan Rocha signed him at 16 for the braves who I control. Catcher which I feel like is so hard to find a solid hitter average .198 😳 but 400 home runs 398 doubles was a leader and an incredible fielder 7 golden gloves and 3 World Series titles hit 18 playoff home runs and I manage the postseason they were always when I needed them but I can’t justify that .198 average I feel like I fall in love with guys too much
Obechkinsbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:56 PM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

"Retire the number" does not equal "elect to Hall of Fame." Since the fellow is beloved by the fans (that is, by you) for being an over-achiever, and since he was a great defensive player (7 GG's), and since (in your imagination) he was the spark plug and clubhouse leader behind those World Series titles, you retire his number. If you don't, you are going to keep wishing that you had.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #3
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
"Retire the number" does not equal "elect to Hall of Fame." Since the fellow is beloved by the fans (that is, by you) for being an over-achiever, and since he was a great defensive player (7 GG's), and since (in your imagination) he was the spark plug and clubhouse leader behind those World Series titles, you retire his number. If you don't, you are going to keep wishing that you had.
Says the Yankee fan, whose players will soon be wearing triple digit numbers due to all the numbers they have retired.

You know I'm just goofin' on you and have a ton of respect for you right?

Personally Obechkin, I'm tired of watching defense be completely ignored when it comes to honours like this. When we're watching baseball games as fans, we all recognize how important little things like defense, baserunning, and the proper fundamentals that govern both are. Then, when it comes time to select all-stars, MVPs, and honours such as retired numbers and the HoF, all that goes out the window in favour of the pretty offensive numbers.

I could get into a rant about how unfair it is that great fielding/noodle bat players at the keystone and occasionally the catching positions get welcomed into the Hall with relative ease, while players at other positions, who are spectacular defenders in their own right, and are much better hitters than the noodle bat guys, have the door slammed in their faces, but I'll spare you the misery.

We all value the guy with a tremendous all around game over the one dimensional slugger. There are a few cases where a guy's bat is so spectacular that it overcomes his deficiencies elsewhere, but it's more the exception than the rule. The market has even started to value the all around players in today's game much more, but the HoF has been extremely slow to catch up and it bothers me to no end. Not gonna name names here because the post would get too long, but I find the lack of support for some of these guys insulting.

There, I've said my piece. If you think this guy deserves the honour, he should get the honour. It is a very low batting average, but batting average is not everything. What were his OBP, SLG, OPS, OPS+, and wRC+ like? If he was anything close to a 100 OPS+/wRC+, he absolutely deserves it with those defensive chops. 85-90 might be good enough too. You're the owner/GM. A lot of guys get these honours for more than what they do on the field. In a game like OOTP, it's hard to figure out a guy's off the field contributions, but if you feel that combining those with his stats deserves the honour, give it to him.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
zdubbya13
Minors (Double A)

Every team has a different standard for what merits having a number retired, so if you feel the player merits having his number retired then do it! I agree defense tends to get overlooked when it comes to discussions about which players should be honored, and other than batting average the player you mentioned seems to have some good stats.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #5
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

I'd retire his number. Stats shouldn't matter as much when considering retiring numbers, it's what he meant to the team. If he's a legend then he deserves to have his number honored
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:06 PM   #6
gemini615
All Star Reserve

How many years did he play for your team? I tend to follow an 8 plus years of service rule before I retire a number manually. I think the game AI does something similar. It might be a little higher though. Regardless, trust your gut instinct.
gemini615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:18 PM   #7
Obechkinsbuddy
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini615 View Post
How many years did he play for your team? I tend to follow an 8 plus years of service rule before I retire a number manually. I think the game AI does something similar. It might be a little higher though. Regardless, trust your gut instinct.
17 seasons all with my team
Old 10-21-2019, 04:16 PM   #8
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obechkinsbuddy View Post
17 seasons all with my team
I'd say retire it. He's getting in to "franchise icon" territory there, .198 batting average aside.

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:17 PM   #9
UltimateAverageGuy
All Star Reserve

Can you post his career card?
UltimateAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:26 PM   #10
Obechkinsbuddy
Minors (Single A)

Here it is

This is age 22 on didn’t all fit came up at 19 full time had one unreal year across the board
Attached Images
Old 10-22-2019, 09:35 PM   #11
OrbisEuler
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obechkinsbuddy View Post
Would u retire this players number Juan Rocha signed him at 16 for the braves who I control. Catcher which I feel like is so hard to find a solid hitter average .198 😳 but 400 home runs 398 doubles was a leader and an incredible fielder 7 golden gloves and 3 World Series titles hit 18 playoff home runs and I manage the postseason they were always when I needed them but I can’t justify that .198 average I feel like I fall in love with guys too much
Always retired the number of players you love. Had a player in a fictional league named Abe Wainscott. I traded for him because he was supposed to be a sub-par first baseman and I was trying to tank. In the five years I had him he won two batting titles and had some pretty good seasons. I traded him but retired his number because I loved how he was the first piece I acquired in our championship team and the role he played in the heart of our order. He never even was eligible for the HoF but that didn't matter. All that matters is that they were important to you.
OrbisEuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:11 PM   #12
Obechkinsbuddy
Minors (Single A)

Thanks for everybody’s advice I retired it. First number I retired I’m in 2042 other than Freddie freeman but I don’t count him because he wasn’t “my signing/ draft pick