Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:43 AM   #1
El Jeffe
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Picking a DH

I'm having a hell of a time settling on a DH. I tried Tony Gwynn (contact 93) for a season and he was bad. Hank Greensburg (91 power) was a bust. This season I tried gold Lou Gehrig then Jose Altuve. Altuve hit .298 but no power and too many K's, but he was the only one over .250. Position players seem to hit in line with their ratings but anyone I put in DH dogs it. WTF?
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:45 AM   #2
herbyhancok
Minors (Single A)

Probably just bad luck more than anything. I know in The Book and other articles it's been shown that pinch hitters and DHs, overall, hit poorer than they would otherwise, so maybe the game has some form of DH penalty. Even then, I doubt the penalty would be nearly large enough to explain the poor output you've been getting.

I don't really ever play AL teams in the standard game, so I don't have much track record to go off outside of PT. You can't see splits for players' batting numbers at different positions to get an idea if there is a penalty going on and the substitution splits are just way too small of a sample to draw off of, among other things.

I guess that was a long-winded way of saying: I got no clue, probably just bad luck.
herbyhancok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:54 AM   #3
JanesAddctn
Minors (Single A)

If you can find/afford

All-Star 95 overall Stan Musial has been great. Left handed 83 contact 74 gap 80 power.

The crown jewel for me: Record Breaker 98 overall Ted Williams.... Very fortunate pull. 95 contact 73 gap 88 power

Honorable mention - 95 overall Diamond All-Star Albert Pujols
JanesAddctn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 03:02 AM   #4
Spartan68
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Ive had a stellar performance from Willie McCovey, he hits well leads league in HRs and RBI. I think it just all depends on your lineup as a whole.
Spartan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 03:17 AM   #5
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan68 View Post
Ive had a stellar performance from Willie McCovey, he hits well leads league in HRs and RBI. I think it just all depends on your lineup as a whole.
Second this.
OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:49 AM   #6
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Sixto Lezcano is the answer here. Likely the best <5k PP player you can find for the DH slot.
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #7
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

My theory: I want a guy that hits well from both sides of the plate so I don’t have to platoon him. I look for a guy that would be rated much higher if not for his poor defense.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #8
Kushiel
All Star Starter

I am using Sam Rice. He is OVR 90 and not too hard on the PP to get hold of. He bats lefty which is most important to me for DH because he faces such a high percentage of RH pitchers with 89 CON. However, his contact against LHers is also 84. He has the added bonus of running well and his power is not non-existant at 60 although power means much less to me than many. He has not and will not set foot in my OF but he does his assigned job well with an average WAR of 5 so far.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:02 PM   #9
daves
Hall Of Famer

JD Martinez actually received a boost. Great against Lefties and above average against righties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #10
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbyhancok View Post
Probably just bad luck more than anything. I know in The Book and other articles it's been shown that pinch hitters and DHs, overall, hit poorer than they would otherwise, so maybe the game has some form of DH penalty. Even then, I doubt the penalty would be nearly large enough to explain the poor output you've been getting.
The devs have actually stated on these forums that there is a DH penalty, haven't they?

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #11
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
The devs have actually stated on these forums that there is a DH penalty, haven't they?
Yes.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:04 PM   #12
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post

So does this mean that if you play someone in the field, he'll have higher ratings than if he's the DH? In other words, the stated ratings are only true if he plays in the field and they're reduced (though hidden) if he's the DH?

If this is true, does anyone know what kind of penalty is applied? Are all offensive ratings affected and by how much?

Last edited by old timer; 04-20-2019 at 02:05 PM.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #13
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

My understanding is that it is equivalent to a minor fatigue penalty.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #14
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Yeah, it's like a couple percent. I wouldn't worry about it for a big hitter - the extra games they get in by not having the same fatigue issues would more than make up for the DH penalty.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #15
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yeah, it's like a couple percent. I wouldn't worry about it for a big hitter - the extra games they get in by not having the same fatigue issues would more than make up for the DH penalty.

What is the purpose of doing this? I'm already pretty much convinced rating really dont mean much & now this. Lord please don't let me spend anymore money on PT. Like the fix is in. What other things we don't know about? Makes one think why OOTP really got into PT thing
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #16
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
Makes one think why OOTP really got into PT thing
To freak out all the conspiracy theory nuts.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:20 AM   #17
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Quote:
What is the purpose of doing this? I'm already pretty much convinced rating really dont mean much & now this. Lord please don't let me spend anymore money on PT. Like the fix is in. What other things we don't know about? Makes one think why OOTP really got into PT thing
My parents' old music collection called. It wants its broken record back.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #18
macacks
Minors (Triple A)

Does anyone have Legend Greenberg stats in Perfect League? Platoon assumed.

Last edited by macacks; 10-12-2019 at 02:38 PM.
macacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:49 AM   #19
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macacks View Post
Does anyone have Legend Greenberg stats in Perfect League? Platton assumed.
Below
Attached Images

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #20
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't quite agree with this sentiment, but it does bring up a big point. Questions have been answered on this forum by the developers that have an impact on strategic choices, but none of this is collected anywhere in one place. Not even in the manual. I wish all the hidden and or obscure features of this game, would be described and placed in the manual or some other convenient place.
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote