Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

View Poll Results: Do you Cheat When you Play OOTP and how much?
I never cheat..what happens happens... 120 71.43%
I do edit player ratings but that's it 22 13.10%
I edit players, change injury times, move players to other teams but that's it 16 9.52%
I change everything including killing OOTP so game results I don't like won't save 10 5.95%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2018, 03:02 PM   #21
NotMuchTime
Minors (Double A)

I voted 'never cheat', but I have a confession to make. I have, in the past, cheated and changed player ratings. I only changed obviously flawed ratings and in no way did I fluff any player ratings up. I changed them to what I thought was fair. I apologize to anyone that is offended. I have changed my wicked ways and no longer partake in such vulgar and wicked practices.
NotMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:56 PM   #22
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMuchTime View Post
I voted 'never cheat', but I have a confession to make. I have, in the past, cheated and changed player ratings. I only changed obviously flawed ratings and in no way did I fluff any player ratings up. I changed them to what I thought was fair. I apologize to anyone that is offended. I have changed my wicked ways and no longer partake in such vulgar and wicked practices.

So you cheated the poll lol. I love this thread. Haven't had OOTP long enough to do anything.

When I played Crusader Kings 2 endlessly I usually had 2 games. 1 iron man game and 1 save scum cheating game just to see what kind of crazy stuff could be pulled off.

Maybe OOTP can get the same treatment
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:59 AM   #23
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

The only time I "cheat" in my fictional league is if a top player decides to randomly retire in the prime of his career. Other than that I let it play out as it happens.
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:56 PM   #24
Blackmissiongoggles
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I came outrageously close to cheating yesterday. Was on a ten-win run with the Rockies and broke the streak with an awful loss to the Marlins. Was up 9-2 going into the 8th and my manager left Chad Bettis in since he was hot. He gets shelled and we give up 8 runs that inning.

Then Blackmon breaks his kneecap to start the 9th (he signed a 6yr $170m that week). Then we lose the recently acquired Jose Abreu for the season on a defensive play. We give up another run and lose 11-9. I just stared at the screen for at least a minute before saving and closing.

Reeeeaaallly wanted to rage quit, though. Such is life. Such is Out of the Park Baseball.
Blackmissiongoggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:42 PM   #25
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
So I start a league with Shoeless Joe and Satchel Paige both imported at an early age because I want to see what they would do over a full career.

Jackson has a CEI at age 27 and I un-injure him and bring him back.

So now I'm cheating am I?

As OOTP Developments says, it's your game, play it your way.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #26
kehowey
Major Leagues

I do change the height and weight sometimes to match the players abilities. I also change names and profile pictures.
kehowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #27
NCBeachBum
All Star Starter

I went with the second one, though in my case it isn't at all cheating. My primary method of play is 19th c. ball, and in recent years I've moved more from pure historical to historical teams/fictional players (after probably a thousand 19th c. historical playthroughs since v4). I edit the ratings of every player at creation yearly, because the offensive spread across positions was different back then. There are also a couple of times when I use a partially randomized process to recreate historical events, most notably the complete collapse of some high profile players after the fair-foul hit was banned.

But the main reason I say it's not cheating is because in those leagues, I never run a team. I'm commissioner only, watching the seasons unfold.
Shame, shame on you

NCBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #28
NCBeachBum
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
So you cheated the poll lol. I love this thread. Haven't had OOTP long enough to do anything.

When I played Crusader Kings 2 endlessly I usually had 2 games. 1 iron man game and 1 save scum cheating game just to see what kind of crazy stuff could be pulled off.

Maybe OOTP can get the same treatment
I did this once just to see that crazy antichrist portal to hell storyline that can happen something like one time every 10000 dynasaties. I didn't think I'd live long enough to see it happen naturally.
Shame, shame on you

NCBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #29
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Based on the results, so far, and I would imagine more play on commissioner mode than Challengr Mode, the thread title could be “Liar Liar Pants on Fire!” 😂
Old 07-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #30
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

I can't play without cheating, at least during league creation

My latest cheat is importing 800 of the All time best MLB, Nippon and Negro league players as rookies, making some changes to their ratings, then adding them to the teams they played with the most or as FA's in the Nippon and Negro players then sitting back and watching then take over and destroy all records in every league. I'll pick one team and stick with it without cheating from that point on.

At least until I blow it all up and start all over again.
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #31
Reggie
Major Leagues

I didn't cheat until I started adding real players into my fictional league.I was cheating because I was trading for the real players when they were very young. At first I justified it by assuming the other GM was just clueless.. but I knew I had an unfair advantage. Abandoned a 7 year league and started over because of it.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:16 PM   #32
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

If you cheat, you are weak and a gross disappointment to society, the sport, and your parents.

Proof that I don't cheat, ever, is in my dynasty thread, spread thickly across all 100-some pages.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:37 PM   #33
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMuchTime View Post

No sweat, because it's a computer game, baby! It's for fun so change them how you want. When I played non challenge mode games, one of the first things I did a few years back was make guys like Byron Buxton look like his actual talent, based upon my personal eye test, rather than PECOTA, WAR, or whatever the hype and allegedly "accurate" hype of the sabr crowd at the time was....
Old 07-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #34
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

I don't cheat.
BUT THE AI DOES!!!!

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3

Last edited by rjl518; 07-03-2018 at 06:52 PM.
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:01 PM   #35
NotMuchTime
Minors (Double A)

I don't cheat, but when I do, I whistle an interesting tune and don't look.
NotMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #36
mmarra82
Major Leagues

At the start of a franchise I’ll tweaked managers sliders the way they handle things. Such as remove relievers quicker or play favor towards veterans.
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:46 AM   #37
daves
Hall Of Famer

It's a game to enjoy on your own time the way you want to play it. If you are playing solo leagues, feel free to play any way you desire. But if you are competing against others, then certain rules and standards apply.

Besides, I thought I read threads that the AI is cheating?

Last edited by daves; 07-04-2018 at 12:25 PM.
daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #38
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i have serious leagues and 'fun' leagues. it all depends.

in anything i play long-term, general rule of thumb is that there's no moving players, editing or anything like that. i do use 'do not fire', because i have no interest in running a different team. gm-legacy mode, because i want to have an ai manager and still control things.

I do create mini-me managers and name them II, III, III et cetera. set their strategies to my preferences, too. I also hand-tailor my Asst. GM, although that's more window-dressing because i delegate nothing to him. if anything automatically happens due to him, i want it to resemble my preferences.

i used to never do anything beyond superficial stuff like that, but the last couple years i've also created 1-2 young, 'legendary' batters/pitchers primed for a long career. they don't always set the highest records in the end, but they are definitely 'generational' players as intended. it's fun, so i'm going to continue to do so. cf/ss/sp/cl type thing.

between ootp, bases loaded, hardball, something on the c64, madden, tecmo bowl, blah blah blha i've played thousands upon thousands of years of simulation sports games and almost all of that is a 'career-mode' or i made it that way by hand. let's just say i have a fairly well-thought out system of doing things by this point. nowadays, i do like to skip what i consider formalities of starting an organization. the 'legends' created pretty much take care of this... at least ~80% of it or so, which is good enough.

if/when i ever rebuild a team, nowadays, it's with my hometown team and real players. so, i do brush up on / refresh those processes on occasion. it is the stuff i consider tedious and not much of a challenge* anymore. *not just in reference to ootp but any and all sports sims with career mode since 1980's. the variable changes but the way i do it is incredibly redundant at this point in time.

----

in a fun league i do all sorts of stuff. i maintain a similar quality team, but i distribute my cast offs to specific teams to create dominant teams in other divisions. i keep my MiL managers ~young-ish so they never retire -- keeps whole history of the team at a click in personnell page.

scouts maxed, mil coaches maxed with 20 year contracts, revenue so high that i can just set ticket prices to $30-32 and not care. i may not turn off injuries, but "1" for proneness(es) is nearly as good.

i actually lose more WS in my fun leagues, because the 2 other divisions have a monster team some years and a great team most other years.

i can play at a faster rate in this type of league, too. these easily zoom out ~70-100 years in the course of 1 ootp release. the normal leagues only make it that long if i play them from an early point and for ~nearly a year. ootp18 is one of those years... nearing 100 years with a non-fun league (NFL?).
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:33 PM   #39
DaBears
Major Leagues

If you watch the news on a nightly basis, then look at the poll results herein....

OOTP for some reason attracts an inordinately honest group of people compared to the average citizen!
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #40
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I do occassionally change injury setting for players who are amazing players as I would want to see them continue the greatness and I do not like how the AI sits players too often with key players. These players I speak of are NOT my players as I control my team down to MGR and play them out
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote