Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:42 AM   #1
RoteLaterne
Major Leagues

Rule 5 Draft & Option Years & Roster Sizes

I have some difficulties with two issues.

1) Rule 5 Draft

Please explain me, what this draft is all about and how it affects my coaching/tactics and so on.
Know it now.

2) Option Years

Who and when do players have those option? Is that an option to refuse demotions to AAA or lower?
Know it now.

3) Roster Sizes

What are the real life limits to the roster size for the minors (AAA,AA,A)?
I know it's 25 for the majors and I should put unlimited for my lowest level (here A).

Many thx for your help.

Last edited by RoteLaterne; 06-09-2009 at 07:33 AM.
RoteLaterne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
Eumel
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoteLaterne View Post
2) Option Years
Who and when do players have those option? Is that an option to refuse demotions to AAA or lower?

All players start with three options. These are really club options and not player options, meaning that you use them and not the player. By using an option, you can send the player down to the minors without him having to pass waivers. If you do that, he will be removed from your 25-man roster but still remain on your 40-man roster. Once you've used an option, it stays active all season, so you can move the player back between majors and minors as often as you want that year.

Once a player's three options are used up, if you want to send him to the minors, you'll have to put him on waivers first. Of course this carries the risk that some other team claims him and you lose the player.

So, as long as a player has options left, you can send him down to the minors without any risk.
Eumel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:36 AM   #3
RoteLaterne
Major Leagues

Ty for your explanation.

Is there a possibility to see the results of the Rule 5 Draft?

I think that no team ever picked one single player for the 2 years I played now. At least the top players stayed with their teams.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
KGrob
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Ty for your explanation.

I think that no team ever picked one single player for the 2 years I played now. At least the top players stayed with their teams.
The other teams seem to take one or two of my players almost every season. I've never taken anyone in the Rule 5 Draft though.
KGrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Below is the answer to your minor league roster question, at least in 2007 anyway.

Minor League Rosters
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ty for your explanation.

If players are selected, they will show up in the league transactions log. You can look there.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
RoteLaterne
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
If players are selected, they will show up in the league transactions log. You can look there.
Thank you. I see them now.

Is it normal, that only 1-3 players are picked there in total?

Are my game/league set ups wrong?
Roster Size MLB 25, Expanded+Secondary 40, Minors AAA+AA 30, Minors A unlimited

Or is it because I play without Option Years for the teams?

I am only commissioner so far without a team.

@ Roster Size

The link does not work.

Last edited by RoteLaterne; 06-09-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #8
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

You're not going to get a lot of players picked in the Rule 5 draft (in the game or real-life) because most of the player eligible to be selected aren't major-league calibre players anyway, and it's not in a team's interest to waste a precious spot on their 25-man roster for a player who isn't even one of the 40 best players in another organisation.

1-3 draft picks is a little low for real-life (usually about 12-15 players selected, most returned to their original clubs in spring training), but it all really depends on how deep the minor league rosters are in your leagues. If there are many minor league players, then teams have enough room on their 40-man rosters to protect everybody who's worth protecting, and nobody will get selected because there aren't any unprotected players worth using a roster spot the whole next season on.

However, if the minor leagues in your league are deep, then some players not on the 40-man rosters might be worth taking a chance on, and you'll see more Rule 5 picks.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
struggles_mightily
Minors (Triple A)

Re: minor league roster limits...

I believe that the limits are 24 for AAA-level leagues and for class AA leagues; 25 for class A advanced and intermediate; 30 for short season A; and 35 for rookie leagues.

I know that that's the case for all the Red Sox affiliates, as they're my team. I suppose it could be different in other leagues within the classes (so that the Pacific Coast League has different limits to the International for example), but that would seem weird to me.
struggles_mightily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Roster Sizes
Roster limits as of the 2008 season:

Class AAA: 24
Class AA: 24
Class A-Advanced: 25
Class A: 25
Class A-Short Season: 30 (but only 25 of whom may be used in a game)
Rookie Advanced: 35 (but only 30 of whom may be used in a game)
Rookie: 35
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:59 AM   #11
WarFisch
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumel View Post
All players start with three options. These are really club options and not player options, meaning that you use them and not the player. By using an option, you can send the player down to the minors without him having to pass waivers. If you do that, he will be removed from your 25-man roster but still remain on your 40-man roster. Once you've used an option, it stays active all season, so you can move the player back between majors and minors as often as you want that year.

Once a player's three options are used up, if you want to send him to the minors, you'll have to put him on waivers first. Of course this carries the risk that some other team claims him and you lose the player.

So, as long as a player has options left, you can send him down to the minors without any risk.

Is there a way to easily tell if the player has already expended an option in the current season before you send him down?
WarFisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
bigMatt
Hall Of Famer

Rule 5 - I've picked a player occasionally off the rule 5 list. Especially early in my franchise when I'm thin at a specific position. Of course, once you draft a player you have to keep him on your MLB roster for the entire upcoming season unless you release him.

I do what teams do in real life. I take a rule 5 guy into spring training. If he looks good in the spring, I'll keep him. Otherwise, I'll release him. No big loss. If he works out - and a couple of them have - then he becomes typically a backup. Haven't yet had a Johan Santana level rule 5 acquisition yet, tho. Not even a minor star, although I'm sure there's been a few that I've missed out on.

and like KGrob, I typically lose a couple a year to rule 5. Sometimes I'll stow a guy on my MLB roster if I am particularly interested in keeping him.

Last edited by bigMatt; 06-10-2009 at 11:23 AM.
bigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #13
Eumel
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarFisch View Post
Is there a way to easily tell if the player has already expended an option in the current season before you send him down?
I don't think so... this might be something Markus could add at some point. The only exception is when a player's last option has been used during the current season. The contract & status page for the player will then read "Last Option Year" instead of "Out of Options".
Eumel is offline   Reply With Quote