Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
Spartan68
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Is this considered tanking?

I uphold the rules of PT to the fullest, but this season has me questioning myself just a slight bit.
See....my team started off in Diamond horribly, and I mean horribly, I was quickly behind the leader by like 8games after the first day. So, I figure, since Im getting relegated at the end of the season why not reset my team a bit. So I sold off about half my team and added some money and bought a new team now for next season.

My question is simple...Should this really be considered tanking?
I think it really isnt since I still had half my pitching staff and a few good bats still starting. What say you.
Spartan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:44 PM   #2
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

If you’re making an effort to win, and not to lose, then a retool is definitely not tanking.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #3
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan68 View Post
I think it really isnt since I still had half my pitching staff and a few good bats still starting. What say you.
No. You are still trying to field a decent team.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:54 PM   #4
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
I uphold the rules of PT to the fullest, but this season has me questioning myself just a slight bit.
See....my team started off in Diamond horribly, and I mean horribly, I was quickly behind the leader by like 8games after the first day. So, I figure, since Im getting relegated at the end of the season why not reset my team a bit. So I sold off about half my team and added some money and bought a new team now for next season.

Are the players you've substituted the absolute worst iron cards you can find? If not, if they're somewhat useful cards (or as useful as you can field), then I don't see it as a problem.

If the new team you've bought for next season consists of good cards and you're not playing them, then I could see it not quite being on the up and up.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
Spartan68
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Ok, so the intention is the true gauge. I almost kept the new guys out but decided what the heck and put the in...not helping to horribly much so far but its only been a small sample size.
Spartan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:04 PM   #6
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Ok, so the intention is the true gauge. I almost kept the new guys out but decided what the heck and put the in...not helping to horribly much so far but its only been a small sample size.
I'd also suggest that many of us on this forum can't really agree on a single definition of tanking, so you can of course do what you want. Until/if you are reported and the devs warn you to change your ways nothing anyone on the forum says really matters.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #7
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

jesus why do we need so many threads about this
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:54 PM   #8
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Because decent people want to follow the rules...that's my guess. I'd rather have 1,000 threads about is this tanking and have it not be, than watch one moron fielding an all iron team at diamond level go unpunished...but that's just me.

I also tend to think a bit better of folks who feel the need to ask questions.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:27 AM   #9
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
Are the players you've substituted the absolute worst iron cards you can find?
So you're saying that a team that went 13-149 with no card above 49 in Diamond is probably not playing things above board???

Cause that's what happened in Diamond .353 - I usually live and let live, but I couldn't do that in this case. Not when a team finishes 84 games back. I had to report.

By the way, OP...you're good. Just a re-tooling. Happens all the time. I doubt anyone in your league even noticed.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:48 PM   #10
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
jesus why do we need so many threads about this
Most people want to follow the rules, and unfortunately, in this case the rules are not clear. Selling off a lot of your good cards to retool could be interpreted as tanking. Selling off good cards for points will unequivocally result in an increase in losses in the immediate short term, and short term losses to return to lower levels of play is a primary goal of most tankers.

The bottom line is that there is too much gray area. It is easy to recognize extreme forms of tanking, but not everybody resorts to these extremes. Those who want to approach the line without crossing it, such as the OP here, have no choice but to ask for help from the community identifying the line's location.

Of course, the inherent flaw with this plan of asking for help is that none of us in the community are in any position to actually clarify the rule, which lends credence to the idea that such posts are futile and needlessly clutter the forums

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote