Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:54 PM   #81
Bub13
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewers22 View Post
"Then, I discovered Avalon Hill's Statis Pro Baseball and was hooked on that through my teens."

Oh geez, I forgot about this. What great memories. I was also into any FB game that was similar, and Front Page Sports Football 98 was the best.

So, did anyone else collect Street and Smiths or other Baseball yearbooks? I also had every version of Baseball Abstract, which just fueled the obsession.
Re Street & Smith's -- oh yes, baseball and football annuals all through the 70s and early 80s. That, and collecting bball and fball (and hockey and bsktball) cards kept me up on pretty much everyone to play every sport for that period. Couldn't tell you who was who for the 90s and early 00s, but if you want to go on a deep dive into ATL players (grew up in Richmond, so saw all the Braves "prospects" come through) from the 70s, I'm your man.

Otherwise... (nearly) 52-year-old, been playing OOTP since version 14. Got my sports (and war-) gaming start on my 13th birthday in 1979 when I went to Toys R Us and bought Avalon Hill's Third Reich and Statis-Pro Baseball. I was hooked (on both). Bought all the other AH sports games after that, and played them up til college, when my roommate got me hooked on Strat-O-Matic hockey. Stopped sports gaming a little while after college pretty much until finding freeware EHM about 15 years ago or so. Can't tell you how many seasons and franchises I played on that, eventually joining a few (and running one) online leagues.

OOTP scratches all those itches -- game play and franchise play. Love it.
Bub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:56 PM   #82
22tbrads22
Minors (Double A)

19 year old, college baseball player. love the game been playing it for the pat 3 years.
22tbrads22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:30 PM   #83
Mannyw
Minors (Single A)

I'm 53 and from Oregon. I grew up in rural Oregon and Arkansas. We played baseball and football for hours, every day. We had Mush Ball Stadium on a friends farm with real diamond, walls, lines, the works. We would play two on two plus. However many we could get to come.

We would play football the same way....and tackle. I broke my best friend's clavicle one time. He was a bit bitter.

I started baseball sims when I was about 14 with APBA Board Game. Played for years. I've tried many computer sims, OOTP Baseball is the best and once the roster bugs are fixed I think 19 will be the best ever, by far!!!

Played organized ball every chance I had. From about seven up through college at NAIA level. Thrill of my life was catching in high school though. We made it to the State Championship in 1982 but lost and was knocked out of playoffs by eventual State Champion in 1983. Good times. It's not the same anymore for kids with all the distractions. I wouldn't trade my childhood and youth for the world.

*My avatar is Mitch Canham of Oregon State blocking the plate against NC in CWS during OSU's back-to-back CWS Championships. Back in the day.....never go head first into home, us catchers love that .

Last edited by Mannyw; 04-23-2018 at 08:39 PM. Reason: left details out
Mannyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:32 PM   #84
Will_L
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannyw View Post
We would play football the same way....and tackle. I broke my best friend's clavicle one time. He was a bit bitter.
Your best friend was lucky it was only a clavicle. I blocked one of my friends and knocked him over backwards, he broke his coccyx on a small rock and was out of any physical action for over six months. He hated me after that. He was kind of a jerk so I still feel sorry for the stone
Will_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:00 PM   #85
italyprof
All Star Reserve

I am 57 and live overseas. Only in the past couple of years have I watched a considerable number of games on MLBTV streaming or archived due to time zone differences. So baseball history is a link to my own country but I have a big gap in knowledge of players from 2005 to 2016. That is a strange thing to experience: to know the history of something you love as well as anyone you know knows that but to turn on the TV and watch a game and that there are longtime stars that you have never heard of.

But I grew up obsessicely playing baseball board games and trying to invent them sometimes. I kept scorecards of each game and records and announced each game play by play so my family went crazy trying to interest me in other things and finally I would play in my room so they would leave me alone. This went on till I was about 13 and pilitics started to take over much of my brain and passion.

But a few years ago at a rough point in life i stumbled on to the Whatifsports website. I played obsessively there for years, made friendships, did intensive research on the game that I posted there. I left for a while and then returned. I run one league there still but in the meantime I had discovered OOTP 16. I find this game much more rewarding as you can do so much more. Plus the game keeps evolving and Marcus and gang are in regular conversation with us here. The WIS site instead suffered terribly from a Fox sports takeover though it was recently liberated by new management. But this site and the game we all love here are much more active and vibrant with a much less competitive and more sharing demeanor online. Maybe because instead of playing against each other we are all playing as we want in a vast universe of OOTP possibilities and are happy to assist each other.

Still, once I knew the starting lineups and rotations of every major league team and knew the particular conditions of every field. Now when I watch a game if a team other than the Yankees and maybe Boston has two players I have heard of I feel like I have accomplished something. And no way I could pass a quiz on which corporate soul-stealing ballpark name goes with which home team that plays there.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:50 PM   #86
Statsman1
Major Leagues

48, been playing board and computer baseball (and all sports) sims since "Computer Baseball" on my Apple IIe back in 1984. Played 'em all, spend 100s of hours typing in stats from Bill James' Abstracts and various other magazines.

I really miss playing / trading with my friends - we'd do drafts, set up leagues, trade and play games at each other's houses. Those were the days.

I'd probably enjoy an online league if I gave it a whirl, but it won't be the same.

Yeah, I'm old.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:59 PM   #87
AmomentOfMusic
Bat Boy

28 year Canadian, one of the rare breed of females who find themselves at the intersection of loving baseball and enjoying casual gaming. Huge Blue Jays fans, jumped on the band wagon when my move to Toronto coincided with them making the playoffs in 2015, and have stayed on since. My dad is a long time fan, and I love that it is something we can chat about together now. My grandmother was a huge baseball fan before she passed away, and it makes me so sad that I never got to share going to a ball game with her. I love the pacing, the narratives that build up, the history of the game.

Otherwise don't really follow any other sports, asides from the Olympics when they are on and the occasional hockey game (so that I don't risk losing my Canadian citizenship)

On-off computer gamer since early teens, though never super seriously. Mostly RPG type games, not very good at anything that requires actually dexterity! Played lots of tabletop RPG while in my undergrad.

Decided to try OOTP a couple of months ago as a new way to procrastinate writing my PhD dissertation.. Been completely hooked since.

Last edited by AmomentOfMusic; 04-28-2018 at 09:00 PM.
AmomentOfMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:31 PM   #88
pgconboy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
But a few years ago at a rough point in life i stumbled on to the Whatifsports website. I played obsessively there for years, made friendships, did intensive research on the game that I posted there.
I stumbled on that site around 2003ish (through KFFL message boards)? I had forgotten all about that site. Used to love putting Wilt Chamberlain up against new teams and Bob Gibson pitching vs new teams.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:31 PM   #89
sdw1000
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
43 here. Been a baseball fan since 5 years old when the Phillies won the World Series. Been playing sim baseball starting with Stratomatic in 1989 as a board game. Didn't play it for years until 2010 when I discovered the online version. Then in 2014, found OOTP as a alternative. Been playing since.
sdw1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:13 AM   #90
DJP53916
Minors (Double A)

I'm 40, and I've always been a baseball fan.

I started with baseball for Intellivision, then eventually for the NES. Baseball Simulator 1.000 (and eventually Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 for SNES). I spent countless hours of my teenage years on both of these games. I loved the idea of building a team, creating the players, etc. I also eventually played other sports games where I could create a player and develop them.

I came into this game purely by luck. I was on my computer, and just ran a search in Google for a baseball game, and stumbled across OOTP 14. It was a free demo, so I downloaded it, ran it a bit, a fell in love with the game. I eventually bought 14, and every version since.
DJP53916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:50 AM   #91
eborix
Minors (Triple A)

I'm 53. Started playing strato-matic back in the late 70's or early 80's. played quite a few computer baseball games until I found OOTP 6.5. I stopped watching MLB back in the early 90's when they missed a world series due to a strike, so OOTP has been great for my baseball fix.
eborix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 02:59 PM   #92
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

62 and still gaming...

I started following baseball in 1966. I remember playing All Star Baseball and a few games that I do not recall their names. During the years of 1970-1973 I played Statis-Pro and Sports Illustrated baseball games though they never really satisfied my urge. Then in 1973 I purchased APBA Baseball. I remember that summer getting so excited to receive the game in the mail. I would read the magazine ad over and over and think about how my SF Giants would perform under my leadership. I loved that game and went on to play it for the next 10 years, even after I married in 1979. The fraternity I later joined (1977) played Strat and i joined the league but never played as I met my soon to be wife (now ex-wife).
In 1983 I bought a TRS80 versionIII computer from Radio Shack and played Sports Illustrated computer baseball. It was a cassette tape and it wet my whistle for the things to come. Then I bought an Apple IIC in 1984 and purchased computer baseball by Strategic Simulations Inc. (SSI). That was a wonderful game that let you create your own players!
I then purchased the Commodore 64 and bought Micro League Baseball in 1985 which was a real hoot. I bought a PC in 1986 and played Earl Weaver Baseball another fun game though none of them pulled me away from real life stuff like what was to come. I also played Tony LaRussa Baseball a few years later both versions. The visuals were nice but the gameplay not so much.
In 1987 I purchased Pursue the Pennant Computer Baseball. It was obsession at first sight, lol. I still own that game and the next year's version (5.25 floppy and all). I was to play PTP and then Diamond Mind (DMB when it changed names) through 2009! However I wasn't faithful to DMB as the new millennium rolled in.
In 2001 I purchased Season Ticket Baseball soon to be OOTP and split time playing DMB for realism and OOTP for what if.
By 2010 I had pretty much given up on DMB and became exclusive to OOTP. This game has become the be-all-end-all of Baseball computer games. I think about my younger self and how this game would seem "magical" to me. I just wish I had the time to play it like I want to. Perhaps when I retire in a few years then I will be able to do all the what-if's that I have dreamed about, such as what if the Mariners had kept RJ, ARod and the Kid for the 2001 season and beyond. Perhaps then they would have that illusive world series that they are going on 41 years in search of (heck I would settle for making the playoffs this year, lol).
I plan on playing until well until I cannot.
VIVA La OOTP Baseball!!

Last edited by Mariner and Giants Fan; 05-05-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Mariner and Giants Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:01 AM   #93
Trauma One
Minors (Rookie Ball)

44. Grew up A's fan in Bay Area. Played a lot of Statis Pro Baseball as a teen. What a great game!
Trauma One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:20 AM   #94
The Yurpman
Major Leagues

And here I thought I would be near the "older" side of the demographic! I'll be 29 next month and I've been playing OOTP since OOTP 12. So I started playing in my early twenties. Grew up in a military family and basically spent half my life in Maryland and half in my hometown of the New England region. Lifelong Boston fan of all sports. OOTP was the first text based sports game I ever got in to after getting completely bored and frustrated trying to replicate semi-realistic saved games in Madden, The Show, FIFA, etc. There's just no going back to the "career" mode of those games once you play OOTP. It's like you're trying to play two different sports.

EDIT: I've read through the thread and see that a lot of you are mentioning your first baseball game you went to and what not. I don't remember my first (too young, but I know it was at the Old Yankee Stadium vs the Tigers) but I do want to mention I was at the Orioles vs Red Sox game on Memorial Day weekend of whatever year that was when Manny Ramirez hit his 500th HR. That was really cool.

Last edited by The Yurpman; 05-06-2018 at 01:24 AM.
The Yurpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #95
Pineywoods OOTPer
All Star Reserve

Just turned 49 here, from East Texas, I been playing baseball in some form of a video game since the days of the Fairchild system....yes, that long, then Atari, Commodore 64, PC, Sports Mogul and then finally to where I belong.

I am a lifelong fan of baseball, being a direhard Rangers fan by birth, Cubs fan by family history of father's side and Astros fan via marriage. I remember the games I went to growing up were not many but they were fun. My first game was when I was 15 and with my church youth group sometime in 1984.

I remember more fondly when I watched games with my wife's grandfather and you always knew when they went sour for him...a loud bellow of "BULLCORN" throughout the house, in fact the same house I live in now. He passed in November 2011 after the second attempt by the Texas Rangers to win it all. I still hear his "BULLCORN" when the Rangers or the Astros are not playing well to this day.

As far as OOTP, I started with version 11...haven't looked back since.

Senior Office Manager, 13th Circle of Heck.

Last edited by Pineywoods OOTPer; 05-06-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Pineywoods OOTPer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:52 PM   #96
JGA10
Bat Boy

I'm 16 and I've been playing this game since I was 11. So it's not just older people that this game appeals to. I'm kind of weird though, I've always been more into the managing aspect rather than actually playing the game
JGA10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:55 PM   #97
JGA10
Bat Boy

Like even when I was 5 and playing fifa 07, I still liked to sim and buy/sell players through transfers rather than actually playing the game
JGA10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:49 PM   #98
5-4-3
Minors (Double A)

Woof!
5-4-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:03 AM   #99
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGA10 View Post
Like even when I was 5 and playing fifa 07, I still liked to sim and buy/sell players through transfers rather than actually playing the game
that is too funny and cute...
Old 05-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #100
Dorfmann
Minors (Double A)

I'm 35 and have been a huge baseball fan for as long as I can remember. Unfortunately, I'm an Orioles fan, so for most of my life baseball video games were necessary as an outlet for my frustrations.

I started with Bases Loaded on the NES and stayed with standard console baseball games for a while until I realized I enjoyed building teams more than playing the games. The transition to OotP was a no-brainer at the point.
Dorfmann is offline   Reply With Quote