Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #21
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Fixed it! I guess the default was everything off. I had no pictures, no avatars, and no signatures. Wow this is a lot more colorful now!
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #22
jtnlange
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini615 View Post
I use fictional teams and fictional players in my own fictional world. Every day spent playing I forge my own fictional history. Like you said earlier, it's awesome starting with an empty hall of fame and watching it fill up through the years. There's no wrong way to do anything if you can imagine it. Especially if you have fun doing it!
at least I know I am not alone. :-) Watching your league grow and expand. I love watching as some player closes in on the HR record, wondering will he do it, will the player I first saw in high school make it in the majors or will he flame out after a year. I have no preconceived notions on anyone and I can just bask in the glow of a world I created. Watch as one of the original 8 teams grows and grows and becomes a dynasty and see them retire numbers from players in years past. I know everyone has their own way to play and thats what makes this a great game. You can have you MLB modern day, enjoy it, but for me it will always be fictional. Trevor L.
jtnlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:35 AM   #23
Reggie
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I thought that the links in my signature to a three-part fictional dynasty in which I wrote stories about my players and myself would make it obvious that my comment was sarcasm. Maybe not.
Never clicked on those links before. Pretty entertaining reading.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #24
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

I started as an all-historical player and have converted to an almost-all-fictional player.

You can customize so much in this game, and once you spent dozens of hours on logos, jerseys, caps and schedules it makes it almost impossible to terminate your save.

The "problem" with historical play simply is that you know who will be good or great ... it doesn't take a genius to know that drafting a wild young lefty with all kinds of control problems like Sandy Koufax will eventually turn out to be a great pick
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #25
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I've spent hours setting up fictional leagues but never get past a season. I really need to sit down and get involved in a fictional league, I've tried and I really want to get invested in a fictional league, but I always ended up going back to my MLB games.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #26
Imperialism32
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallewalls View Post
I've spent hours setting up fictional leagues but never get past a season. I really need to sit down and get involved in a fictional league, I've tried and I really want to get invested in a fictional league, but I always ended up going back to my MLB games.
Try setting up a fictional league and mass-simming 25 (or even just 5!) years, then jumping in. This way you'll have stats on players instead of just ratings.
Imperialism32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #27
jtnlange
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Several games ago I had the same issue, but what I do now is organically grow my league from 1871 to present and build up history then take a tam and go from there. I will admit it takes some time and effort and can be hard to keep going as it can bog down, but trust me once you jump in it will feel completely alive and almost as if you are playing modern MLB. Trevor L.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #28
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperialism32 View Post
Try setting up a fictional league and mass-simming 25 (or even just 5!) years, then jumping in. This way you'll have stats on players instead of just ratings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnlange View Post
Several games ago I had the same issue, but what I do now is organically grow my league from 1871 to present and build up history then take a tam and go from there. I will admit it takes some time and effort and can be hard to keep going as it can bog down, but trust me once you jump in it will feel completely alive and almost as if you are playing modern MLB. Trevor L.
Do you recommend I should keep track of things as you sim or can I just straight sim for however many years?
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #29
jtnlange
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Do you recommend I should keep track of things as you sim or can I just straight sim for however many years?
I sim in blocks of 5-10 years. I stop check how things are looking make sure it is not out of whack for what I am looking for. I usually check on playrs to see how they are getting on. I also add leagues and expand over the years till by 1990 I have 37 leagues world wide and things are just humming along :-)
Old 04-11-2018, 01:08 PM   #30
Reggie
Major Leagues

Quote:
Same problem I was having. It was fun setting it up but when I started playing it just didn't do it for me. Seemed kind of fake and empty. Wasn't until I powered through about 50 games of the first year that I started getting into it.

Started loving guys because they seemed to come through when I needed them. And I started hating some players guts on other teams that became a pain in my neck. Started recognizing names in news stories and eventually started following career milestones. Now I'm waiting to see who the first HOF inductee will be. Also watching to see when someone will break the season record for HR's. Currently at 63 and set by my First Baseman Brian Davidson ( who I selected in the inaugural draft).

My catcher from that draft is a sure bet as a first ballot HOF but he probably won't be first because he is still going strong at 38. I regret trading him at 35 because I didn't want to pay his last year at 29 million.

Last edited by Reggie; 04-11-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:11 PM   #31
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post

Started loving guys because they seemed to come through when I needed them. And I started hating some players guts on other teams that became a pain in my neck. Started recognizing names in news stories and eventually started following career milestones. Now I'm waiting to see who the first HOF inductee will be. Also watching to see when someone will break the season record for HR's. Currently at 63 and set by my First Baseman Brian Davidson ( who I selected in the inaugural draft).

This is when it's so fun. You start picturing the characters in your head and making them real people. I wish we had EVEN MORE personality clashes and drama to enhance the immersiveness
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #32
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germaniac View Post
The "problem" with historical play simply is that you know who will be good or great ... it doesn't take a genius to know that drafting a wild young lefty with all kinds of control problems like Sandy Koufax will eventually turn out to be a great pick
I agree with your post. However, I want to point out that this is not true if you play historical with recalc off and use the pure development engine. It is still a decent bet that Koufax will be good, but it is not a slam dunk that he will even be serviceable.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #33
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I have played fictional a few times. I really like it! It’s kinda weird though how people make up stories about their fictional players and even give themselves a fictional backstory. Those people must really be pretty far down the rabbit hole.
Wabbit hole? i have a whole planet down here!
i started historical in v. 14, but kept adding fictional players here and there. This year, i'm doing the oppostite. Created a fictional world starting in 1871 with 1961 stats and modifiiers (because '61 was when i saw my first MLB game.) my world is based - kinda - on MLB, expanded well beyond that now. Currently 32 teams, but in next 10-15 years it'll be 48 most likely.... etc.) adding real players from debut years, but most players are fictional from International Complex and International Free Agency. 3 levels of minors and well, it's an interesting mix.

yes, the Wabbit hole is real and there is no escaping it. But then - who would want to?
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #34
Reggie
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post
This is when it's so fun. You start picturing the characters in your head and making them real people. I wish we had EVEN MORE personality clashes and drama to enhance the immersiveness
There is this guy on the San Francisco Fury, Mac Schafer.. and he kicks my behind at the plate every time we play. I just can't wait until he retires. I picture him as a cocky SOB ( and he could be because he is good ).. but man do I hate his guts. I could picture him spending the off season in Vegas and Hollywood kicking puppies and refusing to sign autographs for kids.

He's only 31 so I may be putting up with him for a bit.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #35
Imperialism32
Major Leagues

Quote:
Either way, depends what works for you. I do a year at a time to make sure the stats are where I want them but it's not until I finish 25 years (just the number I chose arbitrarily) that I actually take a look at past champions, award winners, etc.

Then once you start playing you'll become familiar with the names as you see them in news reports or on leaderboards and as you play against them.
Imperialism32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #36
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Only fictional gives this wacko here enough liberties to 'express' himself.

Quote:
Playing a game from 1950 through 1975 is on my bucket list.
I wish I could find the time and energy for something like that. I actually tried to start a 1950 historical replay recently, but I wore out during spring training......

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.

Last edited by Westheim; 04-11-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #37
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germaniac View Post
I started as an all-historical player and have converted to an almost-all-fictional player.

You can customize so much in this game, and once you spent dozens of hours on logos, jerseys, caps and schedules it makes it almost impossible to terminate your save.

I turn up the TCR to between 120-150 when doing my Historical Random Debut to attempt to put some guess work in my game. I use recalc, 5 year double weighted, but now am thinking that I may go just with the development engine.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #38
gemini615
All Star Reserve

Quote:
There is this guy on the San Francisco Fury, Mac Schafer.. and he kicks my behind at the plate every time we play. I just can't wait until he retires. I picture him as a cocky SOB ( and he could be because he is good ).. but man do I hate his guts. I could picture him spending the off season in Vegas and Hollywood kicking puppies and refusing to sign autographs for kids.

I'm guessing Mac Schafer abuses the wait staff when he's chilling at some swanky night club after the games too. He and his a-hole teammates order bottle after bottle of Cristal only to stiff everybody on tips when the nights over.
gemini615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:53 PM   #39
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

spleen1015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #40
Clavette
Major Leagues

Ok after reading all these posts you guys have convinced me to give another small historical league a shot and add a couple teams every few years. The idea of new records and having an empty hall is too tempting

I looked through the logo files and found that most are trash. How would i go about adding my own logos or finding better logos?

I would like the Hawaii Aku to have their proper fish logo and not an H or an A for a logo
Clavette is offline   Reply With Quote