Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:56 PM   #21
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanballComin View Post
It would be very user friendly if, when in custom mode, one was able to save widget positions with a save feature.
I've asked for this in years past, but unless I missed it, I didn't see this available in the video. And it should be unlimited in how many custom views one can save.
Different ballparks with different graphics may require some widgets to be moved, or not even used. A one click solution would be nice.
Yes, this is in my to-do list... will be added in an update after release
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #22
skunkle333
All Star Reserve

Just a note on my anticipation for this great baseball game. For over 10 years I've purchased the game. Especially the past two years I really got excited about the ballparks and 3D stuff.

However, every year I spend a good amount of time trying to run a season (partial simming but mostly playing key games pitch by pitch). I always end up stopping my work because I have so much trouble adjusting the rosters to the real life current season along with other stuff. I'm 73 and just have trouble with all the details. : )

So I usually end up really enjoying OOTP but only in Historical World Series plays and special match ups. They can be played pretty smooth although sometimes my fixed lineups wouldn't show when ready to play the game (probably a goof on my part) or something else messes up. But just sometimes. I'm currently ready for game 6 of my favorite White Sox/Dodger 59 World Series with only one little problem that was solved !!

But I am so impressed with the look this year (especially 3D and the little players) and the preliminary look at the screens that give me the impression that maybe changing things etc. will make it easier to actually play along with the 2018 season. I hope!

At any rate...the enhanced look...and simply splendid detailed play script has me hooked again !! This could very well be my last season of playing my baseball games since the dice APBA when I was 11.

I appreciate all you and your team have done Mr. Heinsohn. Espcially that PStrickert fella. : ) Your voice brings me many memories of my theology studies for over 50 years...with many of them being from some great German theologians. : )

OOTP19...opening day is just around the corner...GO White Sox & Cardinals...Cubs...Red Sox...

Don't forget to try PStrickert's great 1959 World Series Quickstart Mod for V12 & V11 !! At Padresfan's site.

Last edited by skunkle333; 03-14-2018 at 02:20 PM.
skunkle333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #23
Charlie Ricker
Minors (Single A)

Absolutely amazing work by you guys, Markus. You and your team have outdone yourselves, thanks so much!
Charlie Ricker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:52 PM   #24
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Terrific job on the new screens and the in-game layout!
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #25
T-Bone
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Strat-o-Matic? Well, to be honest, I am pretty sure we already outsell them by a huge margin
I am a Strat-O-Matic convert. It is incredible that this game is infinitely better and less expensive.
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:07 PM   #26
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprague View Post
Looks good Marcus
Small cosmetic thing I noticed though

When the batter struck out, he swung and began running, and gave the impression that he had hit the ball and was running to first. It was a bit confusing. you might want a small pause so the batter stays right where he is to know that he swung and the ball went nowhere- then have him more than likely walk back to the dugout and not run- but in a way that no one thinks it could be a walk.
Small detail, but just something that i noticed

Cheers
Preferably, hanging his head. Especially if he has struck out a few times in the game already. Because otherwise, if he is one of my players, I might be tempted to bench him for a few games just for not being upset enough about whiffing.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:26 PM   #27
DB930
Major Leagues

This looks amazing! Absolutely can't wait for next week.

One other minor cosmetic thing to point out, in addition to what was already mentioned about strikeouts: when a batter made an out on a ball in-play (infield groundout, I think) for the first or second out of the inning, he disappeared--poof!--as soon as the first baseman caught the ball. It might look better if he turned and ran back to the dugout, the way the guys did after striking out, or the batter who flew out to CF to end an inning.
DB930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:09 PM   #28
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Fellow members, please bury this post with subsequent commentaries of your own.

Nevertheless, I feel compelled to state that I was wrong years ago when I resisted the introduction of animation to this game. I did not trust that basic game quality would be preserved regardless. End of confession.

[Darn. Why did they make those smileys so huge? Look at the size of that thing!]

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:20 PM   #29
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post

Nevertheless, I feel compelled to state that I was wrong years ago when I resisted the introduction of animation to this game. I did not trust that basic game quality would be preserved regardless. End of confession.

[Darn. Why did they make those smileys so huge? Look at the size of that thing!]
Hahaha, yes, I remember you not really liking the decision to invest time into the whole 3D thing. You were not alone though. Change sometimes is frightening... but I am glad we took the risk, the game is now better because of it. Thanks for sticking around
Old 03-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #30
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I am going to very busy next week, the do not disturb sign will be in the forefront as I work through all this amazing simulation has to offer in 19.
Thank you to all who were involved with this new creation that again will bring me countless hours of pure enjoyment for at least the next year.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #31
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post

And not that I want to quote this again so it stays up in another spot, but I'll say that one definitely and somewhat unexpected bonus from the work we've put into the 3D is that it really has brought to life to us the exact accuracies of the system. Like, when you watch games play out and are like, "hey, there's no way that ball should be an infield single!", it makes us go back and look at our data for where balls should land, and how plays develop.

And because we've put a lot of effort into making sure the action on the field matches the PBP details, that just means that even if you don't use the 3D, it just makes everything else fit together.

I was also a little hesitant at the start, and I did a lot of the work on it. I remember one time back in December or January a couple years ago, I was struggling with getting the fielders moving right, we didn't have runners going right, and I just sent an email to Markus being like, "I can't do it! I can't get things going right. I just can't stare at these pawns anymore!" And I had to take like a month off not watching the gameplay to just refresh my brain.

But after I came back to it, when I went to add the runners going around the bases, they just... worked. Like, it was so much easier than I had initially expected. And then that first year, I also remember looking at things like 2 weeks from release and thinking that there were still massive problems. But we had set up a great foundation of a system that we pushed on it, and it came together. And since then, it's gone from being agony and frustration when playing with the 3D, to actually being fun. Like, I'll be playing out a game, and then be like, "you know what, on this play, wouldn't it be neat if [...]", and like, ok, hack hack hack, it's done. And then I watch it play out, and it's so awesome. Like, I was working on some stuff this afternoon, saw a routine groundball, and pumped my fist because it was so awesome to watch.

So, yeah. Not really related to your comment there above. But I started replying to your comment and then figured I'd share the rest.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #32
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
And not that I want to quote this again so it stays up in another spot, but I'll say that one definitely and somewhat unexpected bonus from the work we've put into the 3D is that it really has brought to life to us the exact accuracies of the system. Like, when you watch games play out and are like, "hey, there's no way that ball should be an infield single!", it makes us go back and look at our data for where balls should land, and how plays develop.

And because we've put a lot of effort into making sure the action on the field matches the PBP details, that just means that even if you don't use the 3D, it just makes everything else fit together.

I was also a little hesitant at the start, and I did a lot of the work on it. I remember one time back in December or January a couple years ago, I was struggling with getting the fielders moving right, we didn't have runners going right, and I just sent an email to Markus being like, "I can't do it! I can't get things going right. I just can't stare at these pawns anymore!" And I had to take like a month off not watching the gameplay to just refresh my brain.

But after I came back to it, when I went to add the runners going around the bases, they just... worked. Like, it was so much easier than I had initially expected. And then that first year, I also remember looking at things like 2 weeks from release and thinking that there were still massive problems. But we had set up a great foundation of a system that we pushed on it, and it came together. And since then, it's gone from being agony and frustration when playing with the 3D, to actually being fun. Like, I'll be playing out a game, and then be like, "you know what, on this play, wouldn't it be neat if [...]", and like, ok, hack hack hack, it's done. And then I watch it play out, and it's so awesome. Like, I was working on some stuff this afternoon, saw a routine groundball, and pumped my fist because it was so awesome to watch.

So, yeah. Not really related to your comment there above. But I started replying to your comment and then figured I'd share the rest.
Hero. Seriously.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:16 PM   #33
sprague
All Star Starter

Quote:
Hero. Seriously.
Marcus and his team with ootp has been a real blessing to baseball. You are getting close to a near perfect sim..with current, historical and fictional all in one.
It has gotten to the point where I feel like hopping a plane to Germany one morning in April or May just to say thanks for your hard work and open ness to the community in person.
Many said a German couldn’t make a baseball sim, but sometimes it takes a person outside the normal box to see in a new way and take things in a new direction.
Best wishes with 19...
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:20 PM   #34
ZachS
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Jardine View Post
We have a new video up today brought to you by Markus. In it, he talks about some of the new features of OOTP 19 and shows off some in-game footage. As we inch ever closer to release, take a look at just some of the new things coming to Out of the Park Baseball and let us know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPuT5lnrMwI
Just skimmed through the video. I've bought every version since OOTP 8. Just asking, can the 3D mode zoom in more and/or change camera angles? Such as watch your team from the CF camera? Thanks!
ZachS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:23 PM   #35
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
Just skimmed through the video. I've bought every version since OOTP 8. Just asking, can the 3D mode zoom in more and/or change camera angles? Such as watch your team from the CF camera? Thanks!
Yes, you can set up custom camera angles for each park in the ballpark editor. The game comes with two view for each park, the bird-eye view and one from a lower angle zoomed in a bit, called the wide angle.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #36
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprague View Post
Marcus and his team with ootp has been a real blessing to baseball. You are getting close to a near perfect sim..with current, historical and fictional all in one.
It has gotten to the point where I feel like hopping a plane to Germany one morning in April or May just to say thanks for your hard work and open ness to the community in person.
Many said a German couldn’t make a baseball sim, but sometimes it takes a person outside the normal box to see in a new way and take things in a new direction.
Best wishes with 19...
Thank you for the kind words. Everybody who's up for a beer or two in Hamburg just PM me, you're invited
Old 03-14-2018, 05:26 PM   #37
ZachS
Bat Boy

Quote:
Yes, you can set up custom camera angles for each park in the ballpark editor. The game comes with two view for each park, the bird-eye view and one from a lower angle zoomed in a bit, called the wide angle.
OMG awesome, I'm getting some money ready to preorder! Awesome!
ZachS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:49 PM   #38
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Very shiny! Awesome stuff, guys!

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #39
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Strat-o-Matic? Well, to be honest, I am pretty sure we already outsell them by a huge margin
I grew up on Strat O Matic in the 70s and that game built my lifetime love of sports sims. Over the years I have bought many versions of the PC game and still have thousands of cards in my garage. SOM is great for the nostalgia and I still play from time to time, just for that.

but in every other way OOTP passed it by somewhere around v1 and is now infinitely better.

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:20 PM   #40
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

watched whole video this morning and as always am super excited about the upcoming release. game looks stunning.

funny thing is I watched whole video and never realized that was Markus's voice. Odd to have a almost 20 year meaningful "relationship" with another person and then hear their voice for the first time.

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote