Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #61
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

Baseball is still incredibly popular. It makes more money than it ever has. It may not ever be a part of the national consciousnesses the same way it used to be, but i don't believe any sport will continue to have that kind of grip in the coming generations. There's just too many other things for people to focus time on.

I agree that games are too long, and i honestly think the best way to fix it is to trim the time between innings (which they'll never do). But the game isn't on deaths door, it is still one of the three most popular sports in this country and that's by a wide margin. There will always be a large group of people who love the game, who became caught up in it because it mattered to their parents, just like previous generations did.
Jerry Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:44 PM   #62
Padreman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico (formally San Diego, CA.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromEagle View Post
In my opinion, baseball is way too old. Old meaning the people who watch the game. Most of the fans are older people... and I think baseball has the oldest spectators compared to other major sports. Maybe that's one of the reasons why it isn't as popular anymore. (I still enjoy baseball, why would I be on here if I didn't)
I been to games in mexico, Domican Republic and Puerto Rico i can say not true. Many, many young fans. Children love baseball down there

Chargers= Despicable Traitors
Padreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:48 PM   #63
ChromEagle
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padreman View Post
I been to games in mexico, Domican Republic and Puerto Rico i can say not true. Many, many young fans. Children love baseball down there
Yeah you're definitely right about that but I was talking about the US. I think the players and fans from those countries have more enthusiasm which makes me love the game even more.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #64
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:
In my opinion, baseball is way too old. Old meaning the people who watch the game. Most of the fans are older people... and I think baseball has the oldest spectators compared to other major sports. Maybe that's one of the reasons why it isn't as popular anymore. (I still enjoy baseball, why would I be on here if I didn't)
You know why baseball's demo is old? Many fans (including myself) have become disillusioned with it, and moved on to other sports.

Love of baseball is something inherited. If you're disillusioned and not following baseball, most likely, your kid won't follow it either.

I'll make this bet: In 5-10 year, Major League Soccer is going to zoom past baseball in popularity. If it happens, then good. Baseball deserves it.

And, let me add this: There is no new rule that they would be willing to implement - for better or worse - that will attract more/new fans. It will - most likely- tick off the existing ones, whether it;s a good rule or not. And really, the changes they REALLY need to make - which go FAR beyond adding a pitch clock - the owners would never go along with. The real radical necessary changes that would benefit baseball, would NOT benefit the bottom line.
Quote:
You know why baseball's demo is old? Many fans (including myself) have become disillusioned with it, and moved on to other sports.

Love of baseball is something inherited. If you're disillusioned and not following baseball, most likely, your kid won't follow it either.

I'll make this bet: In 5-10 year, Major League Soccer is going to zoom past baseball in popularity. If it happens, then good. Baseball deserves it.

And, let me add this: There is no new rule that they could implement - for better or worse - that will attract more/new fans. It most likely tick off existing ones, whether it;s a good rule or not. And really, they changes they REALLY need to make - which go FAR beyond adding a pitch clock - the owners would never go along with. The real radical necessary changes would benefit baseball, would NOT benefit the bottom line. And the owners are far more interested in their bottom line (read: I'll only make millions of dollars instead of millions and MILLIONS of dollars!)

The owners are far more interested in their bottom line than doing what's right for baseball.

Last edited by drksd4848; 02-26-2018 at 02:12 PM.
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:03 PM   #65
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post

You might be right, but I'll believe it when I see it. I've been hearing that for the past two decades. People tend to only point out the flaws in the popular sports and act like an up and coming sport (like soccer in the US) is just perfect for the next generation. But soccer has a TON of issues when it comes to being a watchable product for younger kids. It may enter the top three sports at some point, but I'm not convinced.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:09 PM   #66
ChromEagle
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:

And, let me add this: There is no new rule that they could implement - for better or worse - that will attract more/new fans. It most likely tick off existing ones, whether it;s a good rule or not. And really, they changes they REALLY need to make - which go FAR beyond adding a pitch clock - the owners would never go along with. The real radical necessary changes would benefit baseball, would NOT benefit the bottom line. And the owners are far more interested in their bottom line (read: I'll only make millions of dollars instead of millions and MILLIONS of dollars!) than doing what's right for baseball.
I think baseball in the US should have more enthusiasm like in other countries such as Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. That's why I love watching the World Baseball classic
Old 02-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #67
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Helper View Post
You might be right, but I'll believe it when I see it. I've been hearing that for the past two decades. People tend to only point out the flaws in the popular sports and act like an up and coming sport (like soccer in the US) is just perfect for the next generation. But soccer has a TON of issues when it comes to being a watchable product for younger kids. It may enter the top three sports at some point, but I'm not convinced.
Hey, I get it. And trust me, this aint happen' tomorrow. MLS still has a long way to go. The quality has to improve greatly. Scoring one goal, then spending the rest of the game kicking the ball around mid field doesn't exactly turn me on. The rules still need to be tweaked bit for American tastes.

But, I think when the fans start to turn over, and the geezers move on, you will begin to see a shift.

Last edited by drksd4848; 02-26-2018 at 02:20 PM.
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:16 PM   #68
Elektranaut
Major Leagues

Being an British baseball fan the one thing that drives me to the point if insanity is the endless pitching changes, the longer a game goes on, the longer it goes on, I would limit a game to 3 pitchers.
Elektranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:20 PM   #69
Jerry Helper
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektranaut View Post
Being an British baseball fan the one thing that drives me to the point if insanity is the endless pitching changes, the longer a game goes on, the longer it goes on, I would limit a game to 3 pitchers.
I'd love a pitcher limit. The problem is when the final guy is getting shelled, or when the game goes into the 15th inning and guys start blowing out their arms.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:43 PM   #70
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I did my own research with a clock. Average time between pitches in a game 30-35 years ago: 8-10 second. Average time now: 15-20. And those are games when David Price ISN'T pitching. Average time for commercial breaks 30-35 yrs ago 2:00 to 2:30. Average time now: a little over 3 minutes.
What explains the very long games—longer than MLB's average—in three of the winter leagues? The Dominican and Venezuelan leagues saw standard-length games averaging some 20 minutes longer than MLB's. All three of the Asian leagues saw time of game averages longer, as did the independent Can-Am League; the Mexican League was on par with MLB's average.

The flip side is why were the Florida State and Eastern Leagues' games so much shorter on average?
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:05 PM   #71
low
Hall Of Famer

MLS passing MLB? Not for me, for the same reasons I can't get into the NBA and NHL. When 60% of your teams make the "playoffs" I can't really take your sport seriously.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:13 AM   #72
fcabanski
Minors (Double A)

"I agree however did you know if you show up at the start of the 7th inning of any given game you get in for free ... Not many know this but yet its true."

I did not know that.
fcabanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #73
timmermac
Major Leagues

I think the best way to shorten game times would be to simply have starting pitchers throw more innings. I want to go back to the days when complete games were more common than they are now. I like seeing starters get 10+ CG's in a season.

Crush the baseball. Drive it before you. And hear the lamentation of the opponent's women.

I am king of the diamond! Let there be a grand clubhouse feast! Bring me the finest meats and cheeses in all the land!
timmermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #74
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
MLS passing MLB? Not for me, for the same reasons I can't get into the NBA and NHL. When 60% of your teams make the "playoffs" I can't really take your sport seriously.

Plus, when your fans get excited when the ball hits the pole and you don't even actually get a goal....you know your sport stinks.
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #75
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

That would be like people celebrating a long foul ball like a home run. Not celebrating it because they think it's going to be a home run...Knowing that it's foul and then celebrating that he hit it far
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:27 PM   #76
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmermac View Post
I think the best way to shorten game times would be to simply have starting pitchers throw more innings. I want to go back to the days when complete games were more common than they are now. I like seeing starters get 10+ CG's in a season.
It's not so easy as that. If you're throwing 110, 120 pitches through 6 or 7 innings, you're just plain not going to be able to get to a complete game most of the time. There are more strikeouts than ever before and that means that there are deeper counts and so on. Per bbref, it's about 11 more pitches per game between 1988 and 2009:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/b...ives/7533.html

We've added about a pitch or two since then. That might seem like a small number but in 1988 on average a complete game took 136 pitches to throw. CGs were already on the wane in 1988 but at that, 136 pitches is right there on the edge of an outing that you can put a single guy through before you have to start worrying about tiring out his arm. If you consider that even then only about 15% of games were completed, it seems likely that they were throwing 110-120 pitches on average for those (and then on top of that, pitch counts weren't regularly published so there were, I'm sure, a few of those 180-pitch outliers that you never see anymore because they seem to invariably cause pitchers' arms to blow up). Now, with 148 pitches per game on average, even those top 15% probably require your guy to throw 120-130 pitches.

I like the idea of fewer pitchers being used - I for one enjoy the old school rosters with 10 man pitching staffs, multiple pinch-hitters, and the option to platoon people at several positions - but fixing it is a knottier issue than you imply. You'd have to figure out ways to simultaneously make the ball easier to hit while lowering both BABIP and HR/FB rates. I think consensus is that the ball was juiced last year, so unjuicing might be part of the fix, but beyond that perhaps doing the thing the Rockies used to do keeping the baseballs being used in a game relatively cold and damp before using them.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #77
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Some interesting ideas here.

Although I think some of these suggestions make sense and could improve the experience, I don’t think pace-of-play is the main issue here.

I think it’s affordability for families (both tickets and concessions) and lack of investment in youth baseball “infrastructure” within the major markets (fields, upkeep, and equipment).

Both of these items are key in building the MLB’s consumer base over the long-run.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:13 PM   #78
mwbigg
Bat Boy

I was wondering you might consider adding the option to make a second visit to the mound in the same inning. Obviously, you would be forced to replace the pitcher but second visits can sometimes be critically helpful to give your reliever a little more time to warm up.
mwbigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:57 PM   #79
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
Could be.

Then modern-day pitchers might have a chance to compete record-wise with the old time stars.

I don't think the 3-Ball 2-Strike Rule would drastically change any records and if it did, we have seen changes in records before.

They change in each era... every few decades... but the public and ballplayers would adjust to them... perhaps, a little begrudgingly.

I think the 3-Ball 2-Strike Rule would drastically speed up the game and make baseball a far more entertaining game and it wouldn't cause any critical changes in strategy or records.
It would cause a lot of changes in strategy. You wouldn't need as many pitchers. The strategy of taking the first pitch or trying to see as many pitches as possible as the lead off hitter would be less valuable. And you'd probably see more platooning, pinch running, defensive replacements & teams carrying three catchers if they only need a pitching staff of 8-10 instead of 12-13.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:29 AM   #80
byzeil
All Star Starter

If the players wanted to speed up the games they could speed up the game. If they don't want to then only drastic changes will speed it up. Hustle on/off the field, get the ball and pitch, stay in the box. Give the players incentive to speed up the game and games will be quicker.

Of course the league would have to take advantage of the players going about business quicker and not hold things up with commercials and such.

Last edited by byzeil; 05-16-2018 at 12:30 AM.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote