Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
Florida Tiger
Minors (Triple A)

Turning logos with white backgrounds into transparent .png

Hey guys, I've been playing OOTP for a long time but haven't posted in awhile. I love a lot of the stuff you guys post here and use a lot of the logos that you've created, in addition to creating some of my own. Incidentally, I only have Paint, so a lot of the logos I've created for my game have an annoying white background. Is there anyone out there that would volunteer to help convert some of these logos into transparent .png files? I'd appreciate it.

An example is included here:
Attached Images
Florida Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
Florida Tiger
Minors (Triple A)

Basically, I am trying to get rid of the white background, which shows up like this example:
Attached Images
Old 01-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Thats a nice logo. I have paint too. Just use the magic wand to select the background, then edit-cut.
Attached Images
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Florida Tiger
Minors (Triple A)

I guess I am not sure what the Magic Wand is. This is what I see:
Attached Images
Old 01-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #5
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Pretty sure he's talking abut a diff. program. Can't do that with MS paint that I know of. Do yourself a favor and get paint.net. It's free and easy to learn (no bloatware or any other crap). You'd use the magic wand touch the white and hit shift+del or the usual crtl+x and poof your white is gone.
Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing

Last edited by Bigrod; 01-04-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
snepp
All Star Starter

Another vote for paint.net here.
snepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
Florida Tiger
Minors (Triple A)

Right on. Thanks for the help, guys!
Old 01-04-2014, 10:25 PM   #8
Elysian Fields
Major Leagues

Using paint.net how would you add a drop shadow? Is this even possible?
Elysian Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #9
Sadiq
Bat Boy

To add a drop shadow on paint.net, you will need to add an add-on.

Here is a link http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php...ed-2010-10-26/

Last edited by Sadiq; 01-05-2014 at 07:47 AM. Reason: addding link
Sadiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #10
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snepp View Post
Another vote for paint.net here.
Yet another one here.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #11
eddyvegasgames
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I've never used paint.net, but Gimp (another absolutely free program) can do it:

Open your logo in gimp.

First you need to add an alpha channel, this adds the eventual transparency. to do that:

To your right, you will see the Layers window, and your picture will be the only layer. Right click on it, and select "Add Alpha Channel". Nothing will change, but you can now get rid of the white. Grab the magic wand, and click on the white spot, then hit Delete. No more white. Repeat as needed. When you are ready to save, you click File > Export. Hope this helps.

Gimp: GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

-Eddy
eddyvegasgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #12
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrod View Post
Pretty sure he's talking abut a diff. program. Can't do that with MS paint that I know of. Do yourself a favor and get paint.net. It's free and easy to learn (no bloatware or any other crap). You'd use the magic wand touch the white and hit shift+del or the usual crtl+x and poof your white is gone.
Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing
He's right, thought you were referring to paint.net. As others have said, great program. Do you have more logos you would be willing to share, i really like that Suns one - thanks
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #13
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I used to be a GIMP user, and it's a fine program, but paint.net does almost everything I ever need to do and I find it to be a lot easier to use.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #14
Elysian Fields
Major Leagues

When you delete the background, if its black lets say, it leaves a little bit of black along the outline. How do you go about cleaning that up with gimp or paint.net?
Elysian Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:34 PM   #15
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I used to be a GIMP user, and it's a fine program, but paint.net does almost everything I ever need to do and I find it to be a lot easier to use.
Same here Wolf. Much easier.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #16
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian Fields View Post
When you delete the background, if its black lets say, it leaves a little bit of black along the outline. How do you go about cleaning that up with gimp or paint.net?
I use the eraser and make sure anti aliasing is On. It's on by default. That setting is the squiggly line next to the fill dropdown on the menu. Helps to use a brush size 10 or larger as you'll get better results with the anti aliasing. Also when using the magic wand, you can adjust it's tolerance. That is on the top menu as well. It's default to 50%, so you have to play with it to get the results you want. Try it and you can always use crtl+z to undo your changes when you don't like the results.
Another way of doing it is if it's just a real small amount of color left is to Click the Effects button on top menu and hover your cursor over Object and click feather. That will blend and smooth those outside edges. Sometimes it's to much though and you can't adjust it unless you get the plug-in. Although I think it works best for my real player pics it sometimes works well for other things as well.

Last edited by Bigrod; 01-05-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #17
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian Fields View Post
Using paint.net how would you add a drop shadow? Is this even possible?
Add a second layer (first button on the bottom of the Layers window) and move it to the bottom (down arrow button). On that layer, click the properties button (last button on the bottom right of the Layers window) and reduce the Opacity/transparancy level to the desired amount. Hint: Almost all buttons/selections have tool tips if you hover your mouse over them.
Once you got things the way you want, Click the top layer and click the fourth button on the bottom to merge the layers together.

Last edited by Bigrod; 01-05-2014 at 10:05 PM.