Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 07-19-2007, 07:15 AM   #1
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Beane Ball: The Story of the Oakland A's

The following takes place before the start of Oakland A's 2007 Spring Training in Phoenix, Arizona. Billy Beane is the famed general manager of the ballclub. His situation is unique to baseball. In 2005, as part of his agreement to remain with the A's, he was given a small stake in the ownership by majority owner Lew Wolff.

Beane has received acclaim (and resentment) for his portrait as a genius in the book, "Moneyball." But he's lost a bit of his luster in the last couple of seasons, as his magic formula for success in MLB hasn't quite added up. Now, for the first time ever, Oakland A's fans will get rare insights by Billy himself, as he blogs the daily goings-on inside the A's organization. Also included will be pertinent wire reports from the Associated Press.

Enjoy.

February 17, 2007

I'll be the first to admit this is my favorite time of year. Everyone starts with a clean slate. The players. The coaches. The front office. The upcoming season is full of possibilities. I'm no different than any fan out there. This time of year, I honestly believe my team can win the World Series.

Yeah, we lost Barry Zito this year to the Giants. It leaves a huge hole in our rotation. I'm not going to lie and say we're going to plug someone in right away to replace him. But you have to look at the positives, too. We've got a healthy Rich Harden coming back. Travis Buck is one of the best hitting prospects I've ever seen. And we've got a future Hall of Famer joining the lineup. Hope springs eternal.

Here's the roster we have coming into Spring Training (including 2007 salaries, length of contract, and projections for the upcoming season):

ROSTER EVALUATION

Catcher: Jason Kendall ($8.0m/1 yr)
2007 Projection: .275 AVG, .350 OBP
No question we can do a lot better for this kind of investment behind the plate. But if you take money out of the equation, Kendall's still solid. He's a .300 hitter and is an above-average catcher. Am I going to extend his contract for another $8 mil a year? Not a chance. Jason knows that, and I know that. But as far as having a decent catcher behind the dish, we could do a whole lot worse.

First Base: Dan Johnson ($380k/automatic)
2007 Projection: .280 AVG, 20 HR, .470 SLG
This is a position we absolutely have to upgrade. Unless Dan can put up those kinds of numbers in a platoon, we need to get a guy who we can slot in the middle of the lineup. We have Daric Barton in Triple-A, a kid I could see hitting either 3rd or 5th, so Johnson's days may be numbered.

Second Base: Mark Ellis ($3.75/arbitration)
2007 Projection: .280 AVG, 14 HR
Mark is a guy who's come up through the organization and I had high hopes for. I've always thought he could be a .300/20 HR guy in the Bigs, but he hasn't yet fulfilled that promise. He came close in 2005 when he hit .316/13 HR in 122 games. We'll probably platoon him with Todd Walker and see if that lights a fire under him.

Shortstop: Bobby Crosby ($2.5m/5 years)
2007 Projection: .250 AVG, 12 HR
Everything I just said about Ellis pretty much applies to Cros. The kid just has to stay healthy. He's had one full season for us (2004) and he hit 22 homers that year. We need more of that. Injuries just seem to find him, so I'm not holding my breath.

Third Base: Eric Chavez ($9.5 m/4 years)
2007 Projection: .270 AVG, 25 HR, 80 RBI
What can I say about Chavy? He's a Gold Glove thirdbaseman and is a rock in the clubhouse. He's the guy I've built this franchise around. I still think we can get a whole lot more out of him though. Chavez should be banging 30 HR's a year for us and hitting around .290. I'm hopeful he can get his stats back up to where they were from 2000-03. To do that, he's got to start hitting against righties a whole lot better.

Left Field: Nick Swisher ($1.2m/5 years)
2007 Projection: .250, 30 HR, 100 RBI
This kid's a character, isn't he? Someday people are going to appreciate him more for his ability on the field than for his eccentricities. We just signed him to a big contract extension ($10 mil in 2011), so obviously we're pinning our hopes on Swish. He's our cleanup hitter for the foreseeable future, no doubt about it.

Center Field: Mark Kotsay ($8.0m/2 years)
2007 Projection: .275 AVG, 12 HR
I've started to re-evaluate my priorities when stocking a roster. I've always loved the guys who can draw walks and hit for power, but sometimes you just want a glove out there. Kotsay isn't going to give us 100 walks or 30 homeruns, but he is going to run down every flyball in the outfield. With the young pitchers we have on this staff, they need to know their defense has their back. We're strong defensively up the middle. Ellis and Crosby in the infield and Kotsay in center. Needless to say, we won't have too many Texas Leaguers dropping into shallow center anytime soon.

Right Field: Travis Buck ($380k/automatic)
2007 Projection: .290, 15 HR, 30 2B
Where ever Travis plays, the guy gets hits. .370 in college at Arizona State. .350 in A-ball. .300 in AA. I really see no point in sending him to AAA. He's ready to face MLB pitching right now. Lofty goals with my projections, I know. Honestly, though, I think he could end up exceeding those expectations.

Designated Hitter: Mike Piazza ($8.5m/1 year)
2007 Projection: .280 AVG, 20 HR, 80 RBI
My hope is we have another Frank Thomas-type season from our DH. My hope is Piazza his like he did in the 90's... .330 avg, 30 homers... but I'm not expecting that. He put up decent power numbers in San Diego in a pure pitcher's park, so he should do alright here in Oakland.

#1 Pitcher: Rich Harden ($2.0m/3 years)
2007 Projection: 16-8, 3.00 ERA
It's tough to really project stats on Rich. He's only been able to pitch one full season for us because he keeps getting these fluke injuries. My hopes are high, though. When he's healthy, Harden can be the most dominant pitcher in baseball. I'd love to see Rich give us 30+ starts this year. If he does, we won't be missing Barry Zito nearly as much.

#2 Pitcher: Dan Haren ($2.2m, 4 years)
2007 Projection: 14-10, 3.60 ERA
Is anyone still missing Mark Mulder. I knew we were getting something special when we traded Mulder for Haren. Danny has the potential to be a 20-game winner in this league. He doesn't give up many walks and he goes right after hitters. I'm penciling him in for 225 innings and not even giving it a second thought.

#3 Pitcher: Chad Gaudin ($380k/automatic)
2007 Projection: 10-10, 3.50 ERA
Chad was rock solid out of the bullpen last season. But we need him to step up and eat some innings this year. Time will tell if he can hold up for 6 or 7 innings every night.

#4 Pitcher: Joe Blanton ($380k/automatic)
2007 Projection: 14-12, 4.00 ERA
Blanton can eat some innings for us. He's not going to go out and strike out 200 hitters for us, but he doesn't give up many homers or walks either. A solid bottom of the rotation starter.

Reliever: Justin Duscherer ($1.2m/arbitration)
2007 Projection: 2.50 ERA, 1.05 WHIP
Every great team has a great closer. But the better teams have a great setup man. Someone who bridges the gap between your starter and closer. The way our team is built, it's absolutely necessary to have a great setup man. We know we're not always going to score 8 runs a ballgame. There are going to be plenty of 1-run games, and we've got to have a guy to give the ball to in those 7th and 8th innings before turning it over to the closer. Justin is precisely that man. He could very well be a closer on any other team.

Closer: Huston Street ($380k/automatic)
2007 Projection: 35 saves, 3.00 ERA
Streeter is simply lights-out. 9th inning, give the kid the ball, and the game is over. We'll start pursuing a long-term contract extension in the near future, but for the timebeing, he's the biggest bargain in baseball.

Future Stars:

Jermaine Mitchell - CF
If not for Kotsay, Jermaine could be our starting CF when Spring Training breaks. He's only 22, but he's just about ready to hit big league pitching. If we can find a place for him on our active roster, he gives us some options on the basepaths that we haven't seen in awhile (yes, stealing).

Jason Stokes - 1B
He's got to cut down on his strikeouts, but there's no reason he couldn't play his way into a platoon at first or DH. He's got a 30 HR-swing to go with his 100-strikeout bat.

Daric Barton - 1B
Barton isn't your prototypical power hitter at first sack. I see him more in the Joe Mauer-hitter mold... high average, plenty of doubles and ribs, without the homeruns. When he comes up to the Show (not if, when), hitting .330 with 40 doubles and 100 RBI every year won't be a reach.

Jed Morris - C
What a great story this kid is. He was diagnosed with leukemia last year, but he's bound and determined to come back and play. I'm not putting him on my list because he's an inspiration, though. He can flat-out play.

Kurt Suzuki - C
He could end up on our roster by the end of Spring. I still see him as a mid to late-season callup, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't our starting catcher by the end of the season.
Overall, I like the way things look this Spring. I'm a little unsure of our starting rotation and would love to add another young arm. We still need a legit #3 hitter to hit in front of Swisher. If we can do that, there's no reason we can't win the West and make a run at the Series.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hendu Style; 07-23-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Hendu Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:02 AM   #2
Green & Gold Heart
Hall Of Famer

Rock on, Hendu! I'll be reading this. Hopefully you can make it turn out better than real life...
Green & Gold Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:16 AM   #3
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Bay Bridge Trade

February 28, 2007

I think we got that extra arm for our rotation. Today we pulled off a trade with the Giants for Tim Lincecum. If you haven't seen this kid pitch yet, you're in for a treat. He looks like the second coming of Sandy Koufax. But don't take my word for it. See for yourself. We're throwing him right into our rotation.

As you would imagine, we had to give up a bit to get him. The big one was Justin Duchscherer. We lose that coveted setup man. But as they say, you've got to give to get. I'd imagine they'd throw Justin right into the closer's role, but that's up to San Fran. We also traded away our starting first baseman Dan Johnson and Chris Snelling, who makes a nice 4th or 5th outfielder.

As with all trades, I will look back at this at the end of the season, compare results, and see just how much we benefit from this deal.
Attached Images
Old 07-20-2007, 06:13 AM   #4
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Opening Day 2007

April 2, 2007

It's Opening Day and I can't help but think of the great Bob Ueker. Portraying the radio play-by-play for the Cleveland Indians in the movie "Major League" he says, "A lotta people say you can tell how a season's gonna go by the first hitter of the year." Hopefully we don't put too much stock into that.

Our rookie centerfielder Jermaine Mitchell grounded out to short on the first pitch of the game. So much for the leadoff man digging deep in the count and giving our other batters a chance to get a good look at some pitches. Oh well.

That at-bat pretty much set the tone for us against the Mariners. Felix Hernandez gave up one run in 5 innings of work, outpitching Rich Harden. The only excitement in this one came in the fourth inning when we had a 36-minute rain delay. We got soaked with a 4-2 loss.

Also of note since my last update, we've inked a few players to contract extensions:

C Jason Kendall - 2 years, $1.3 million

Util. Todd Walker - 1 year, $1.48 million

MR Kiko Calero - 3 years, $11.3 million

Kendall is in the final year of a 6-year, $55 million contract. I wanted to keep Jason around a couple more years so he can tutor our up-and-coming catching prospects, Kurt Suzuki and Jed Morris.

Walker is an extra bat and a great utility guy... he can play first, second, and third for us.

We locked up Calero for the next three years. At $3.78 mil a year, the price was a little steep, but we really needed to solidify our bullpen.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:22 AM   #5
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Oh Gaudin!

April 5th, 2007

Rough day at the office today.

Chad Gaudin, the fourth man in our starting rotation, left his first start of the season today with back spasms. He threw just three pitches (one strike) before heading for the training room. Looks like he's going to be out 7 weeks.

We lost to the Angels, 6-3, dropping us to 0-4 on the year, following a 3-game sweep in Seattle. Mercifully, we wrap up 7-game road trip to start the season on Sunday, the 8th.

Can't wait.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:36 AM   #6
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Devil Ray Envy

Sunday, April 29, 2007

We finished a five-game homestand today in Oakland. After splitting a two-game set against the M's on Wednesday and Thursday, we managed to take two of three from the Devil Rays with a 5-4 win this afternoon.

I've got to say, I'm envious of Tampa's lineup. They've got some talented kids at the top of that order. BJ Upton is at short. He's a speed demon and can draw walks, too. They have Delmon Young batting #2... he can steal bases and hit for power. And then you've got Carl Crawford batting in the 3-hole. He's a five-tool player... he's got it all. If you took Tampa's bats and our pitching, I guarantee you we'd win a World Series within 3 years.

Speaking of pitching, Tim Lincecum looked solid today. He went 5 1/3, giving up 7 hits and 4 walks, but didn't allow any runs and struck out 5. He picked up the win to improve to 3-2 on the year with a 3.44 ERA. He's still got some growing up to do, but he's coming along very nicely.

We finish the first month of the season 12-13, one game below .500 for April.

Last edited by Hendu Style; 07-20-2007 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:08 AM   #7
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

May Days

Monday, May 28, 2007

Things are really starting to come together. Rich Harden was firing b-b's out there today against the Rangers, giving up just one hit in 6 innings on the hill. Bob Geren gave him the early hook because of his pitch count (104 pitches), and the bullpen was perfect... 2 IP, 3 K from Alan Embree and a perfect 9th from Joe Kennedy in a 6-0 win. We even managed to cool off Ian Kinsler, who was 0-for-4 with 5 left on. He's hitting .339 with 11 HR and 38 RBI. Harden is now 6-2 with a 2.96 ERA on the year.

The win puts us at 28-22 on the year thanks to a torrid 16-9 record so far this May. I almost don't want the month to end.

Last edited by Hendu Style; 07-21-2007 at 04:39 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:23 AM   #8
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

June Draft

Saturday, June 16, 2007

It's the day after the draft, so I've had a moment to catch my breath. There's not a GM out there who won't tell you draft day is the most important day of the year.

We had the #21 overall pick in the draft. I normally like to use these picks on established college players, but every once in awhile, you have to mix things up. We went with Carlos Velasquez, a 17 year old first baseman. This kid is a masher... dead pull hitter with tons of power. Still needs to work on his patience at the plate, but he could be a 30 HR guy in the show.

The Royals got UCLA right-hander Dave Spencer with the #1 overall pick. Kind of a surprise pick... not a ton of upside according to our scouts, but he's a control pitcher who could crack KC's rotation in the next couple of years.

On the field, we clipped the Cardinals today, 5-4. Lenny DiNardo picked up the win, going 7.2, 8 H, 4 ER. He's now 6-4 with a 5.59 ERA on the year. We had to plug him into the rotation after Tim Lincecum went down with a strained elbow ligament a couple of days ago. He's expected to be out the next 8 weeks. It's a shame, because every day counts for him out there. So far, he's 4-4 with a 4.80 ERA, fanning 88 batters in 75 innings.

We also called up Daric Barton on June 13th. He went 1-3 today and is hitting .400 with 2 RBI so far. I can't wait to find out what the future holds for this guy. Don't want to put too much pressure on Daric, but as I've said before, he could be the real deal.

Last edited by Hendu Style; 07-23-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:39 AM   #9
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Monday, July 8, 2007

All-Star announcements were made today and we have two pitchers -- Rich Harden and Huston Street -- heading across the Bay for the festivities. All indications are that Jim Leyland will name Harden as the starter for the American League. Nice to see what Rich can do when healthy.

We finished the first half 49-39, tied for first place with Seattle for the lead in the AL West. We're 3.0 behind the Yankees for the Wild Card.

I understand we have a Kurt Suzuki fan out there in the blogosphere. I'm sure "Green & Gold Heart" is excited to see that Kurt was called up to the Majors last week. Suzuki will be up for more than just a cup of coffee... Bob Geren, a former big league catcher himself, has already penciled Kurt in the lineup ahead of Jason Kendall since the callup.

Here's a quick look at our lineup and stats heading into the All-Star break:

CF Jermaine Mitchell - .299, .354 OBP, 15 SB, 44 R
C Kurt Suzuki - .381, 5 RBI
1B Daric Barton - .280, 1 HR, 4 RBI
LF Nick Swisher - .256, 21 HR, 55 RBI, .531 SLG, .894 OPS
RF Travis Buck - .287, 11 HR, 22 2B, 52 RBI
DH Jason Stokes - .256, 12 HR, 47 RBI
3B Eric Chavez - .260, 12 HR, 46 RBI
SS Bobby Crosby - .263, 13 HR, 49 RBI
2B Mark Ellis - .224, 5 HR/2B Todd Walker - .284, 24 R

SP1 Rich Harden - 11-4, 2.79
SP2 Dan Haren - 8-7, 3.49
SP3 Chad Gaudin - 5-2, 2.90
SP4 Tim Lincecum - 4-4, 4.80
CL Huston Street - 19 Sv, 2.92
Old 07-21-2007, 04:43 AM   #10
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Swisher's Grand Night Stuns Twins

July 15, 2007

Swisher's Grand Night Shocks Twins

MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. (AP) -- Nick Swisher's grand slam homerun in the top of the 9th inning capped the A's stunning 8-7 win against the Twins on Monday night.

Oakland loaded the bases against Minnesota reliever Joe Nathan, scoring on a bases loaded walk to make it 7-4. Then, with one out and the bases still loaded, Swisher unloaded on a 2-0 fastball for his 22nd homerun of the year.

"Man, it doesn't get any better than this," said Swisher. "I've had some big hits in my life but never like this."

With the win, Oakland (51-41) moves a game ahead of Seattle for first place in the AL West.

Last edited by Hendu Style; 07-24-2007 at 03:43 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:46 AM   #11
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Thome a Dodger in Deadline Deal

Monday, July 29, 2007

Thome a Dodger in Deadline Deal

LOS ANGELES, Calif. (AP) -- The Los Angeles Dodgers dodged a bullet by beating the trading deadline, sending shortstop Rafael Furcal and a minor leaguer to the Chicago White Sox for first baseman Jim Thome and pitcher Noe Rodriguez.

A change of scenery would do both Furcal and Thome well. After hitting .300 with 15 homeruns in 2006, Furcal has struggled in his second season in Los Angeles, hitting just .249. Thome has also struggled in '07, batting .249 while clubbing 15 homeruns after hitting a career-high 42 homeruns for the White Sox in '06.

Last edited by Hendu Style; 07-24-2007 at 03:46 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:51 AM   #12
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Chavez Out for Season

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Chavez Out for Season
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- The A's Gold Glove third baseman isn't feeling so golden today. Eric Chavez will miss 7-8 months with a torn groin muscle. He suffered the injury in Wednesday's 7-4 win against the Detroit Tigers.

"We're all pretty stunned," said manager Bob Geren. "He's a leader in this clubhouse. You don't replace a guy like that very easily."

The A's training staff hopes to have Chavez healthy enough to participate in Spring Training in 2008. Chavez was hitting .249 with 13 homeruns, 51 RBI, and 52 runs scored. He was unavailable for comment after the game.

Last edited by Hendu Style; 07-24-2007 at 03:48 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:05 AM   #13
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Summer Time Blues

Friday, August 31, 2007

I've never been more ready to turn the page on a calendar. We just wrapped up a brutal month of August today with a 2-0 loss to the Tigers. For those keeping track, that's 7 losses in our last 8 games, putting us at 10-19 for the month, and a full 3 games behind the Angels for first place in the AL West.

Today's loss was pretty typical of how things have gone lately. Rich Harden went 7 innings, giving up 2 runs on 6 hits while striking out 7, and he got tagged with the loss. He's now 14-8 with a 2.94 ERA.

Our rookies are playing well... Kurt Suzuki is hitting at a .288 clip with 2 homers and 20 RBI since being called up from Triple A Sacramento. Daric Barton is also at .288 with 4 homers and 23 RBI (despite a calf injury that cost him 3 weeks in July). And Jermaine Mitchell still has a stranglehold on the centerfield job, batting .283 for the year.

I regret not trading for a veteran bat before the trading deadline. This team is obviously too young and inexperienced to withstand a pennant run. Hindsight is 20/20. But Bob Geren has assured me that this team will pull it together in September. Hope so. We're going to have a devil of a time catching the Angels down the stretch.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:34 AM   #14
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Here we come

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

They say it's darkest right before the dawn. I guess they were right.

Most were ready to write us off after our disastrous month in August. But, just as coach Geren promised, we're starting to rally back in September. We took 2 of 3 against the Angels on the road September 3-5. Then, after getting swept by the Rangers in Texas, we bounced back to sweep the Mariners in Seattle September 10-12. That pulled us within 1 of the Angels for the lead. Then we lost 3 out of 4 at home to the Rangers to fall three games back. Just when it looked like we were done, we did it.

Today's 4-1 victory against the Mariners in Oakland caps a 3-game sweep and pulls us into a tie with the Angels, who got swept at home by the Devil Rays. Remind me to write a thank you note to Carl Crawford, who went 3-for-4 with a double and a sac fly for the D-Rays in the win.

On the homefront, our stud rookie 1st baseman Daric Barton collected 3 hits (and a HR) to raise his stats to .307, 9 HR, 32 RBI on the year. Jason Windsor, in a spot start, went 5.2, 3 H, 1 ER, to get the win (1-2, 7.11 ERA on the year).

Mark your calendars, A's fans. We have a 3-game set in Cleveland starting Friday, then it's off to Boston next Tuesday and Wednesday, before closing out the regular season at home against -- who else? -- the Angels.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:44 AM   #15
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The rollercoaster ride continues for us. We took 2 of 3 from the Indians in Cleveland, but had a rough day today in Boston.

Travis Buck injured his tricep muscle trying to make a catch on a David Ortiz pop-foul in right. It looks like Travis is going to be out for at least two weeks, which means if we make the postseason, he'll likely be out for the ALDS. We'll obviously miss his bat in the lineup. He's hitting .268, 14 HR, 41 2B, and 75 RBI.

As far as the game itself goes, Daisuke Matsuzaka (7.2, 7 H, 3 ER, 6 K) outdueled Chad Gaudin (6.1, 6 H, 4 ER, 7 K) in a 4-3 Red Sox win. If you've got Dice-K on your fantasy team, he's now 12-15 with a 4.68 ERA. Gaudin falls to 9-8, with a 3.85 ERA.

The good news is, we're 2 up on the Angels with one more game to play in Boston, before a 3-game set against LAA to close out the regular season with a chance to clinch at home. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Hendu Style; 07-21-2007 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:07 AM   #16
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

You stopped right before the big series. Gah!
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:12 PM   #17
Green & Gold Heart
Hall Of Famer

Gah! is right. You're doing a great job with this!

oh, and thanks for the shoutout! Go Suzuki!!
Green & Gold Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:37 PM   #18
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green & Gold Heart View Post
Gah! is right. You're doing a great job with this!

oh, and thanks for the shoutout! Go Suzuki!!
Thanks - and you're welcome. I want to make this as interactive as possible, so if you want to chime in with comments, go ahead... I'll try to work it into the blog.

More updates to follow.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:46 AM   #19
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

How the West Was Won

Friday, September 28, 2007

We opened a three-game series with the Angels today to wrap up the regular season. Our boys needed just one win to clinch the A.L. West. The entire season, coming down to a 3-game series. It doesn't get much better than this.

I'm proud to report, the A's took care of business. But not without some (more) bad news.

We won the series opener, 3-1, behind a 2-homerun evening from Bobby Crosby (.271, 22 HR) and a solid outting by Tim Lincecum (11-5, 3.98), who went 6 and two-thirds, allowing 1 run on four hits and 3 walks, while striking out seven. That clinched the West with two games to spare.

Exhale.

Now the bad news.

Nick Swisher, our cleanup hitter and clubhouse leader, went down with a strained tricep muscle. We gasped when the doctors told us he would be out at least two weeks, maybe even three. Swish finishes the regular season hitting .252, with 33 HR and 101 RBI... by far our best offensive stats.

Swish was pretty heartbroken... he was in the training room while the rest of the team dog-piled on the field after the win. Bob Geren told him after the game that he's saving a spot for him on the postseason roster. Maybe not the brightest idea in the world, especially since we're already carrying another outfielder who's injured (Travis Buck), so that leaves us very little flexibility in the postseason, especially in the first two rounds. Still, Bob's the manager and I trust his instincts. If we're able to survive the American League Division and Championship Series, he'll look like a genius. Otherwise... maybe not.

Last edited by Hendu Style; 07-24-2007 at 04:49 AM.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:54 AM   #20
Hendu Style
All Star Starter

2007 Regular Season Recap

Monday, October 1, 2007

It's on to the playoffs against the AL East Champion New York Yankees (94-68). Before we head off to the Big Apple for Game 1 on Wednesday, I can reflect on the regular season, since my GM duties are pretty much over for now.

We went 85-77 (.525) to win the AL West over the Angels.

The bad news, of course, is we were hit by a rash of injuries down the stretch. Eric Chavez is out for the year with a torn groin muscle. Travis Buck suffered a strained tricep muscle and will miss the first week of the playoffs. And the big one: our cleanup man, Nick Swisher, is out 2-3 weeks with a strained bicep tendon. We're keeping both on our 25-man roster with the hope that one or the other will be able to play for us sometime in the postseason. Honestly, though, with 3 starting position players out of the lineup, I don't know how far we can go in the playoffs. We'll have to ride our horses in the rotation and hope for the best.

Here's a look at our lineup (at least, before the injuries took a third of these players out):

CF Jermaine Mitchell - .282, 27 SB, 80 R

C Kurt Suzuki - .281, 4 HR 29 RBI (70 games)

1B Daric Barton - .319, 9 HR, .407 OBP (83 games)

LF Nick Swisher - .252, 33 HR, 101 RBI

RF Travis Buck - .268, 14 HR, 41 2B, 75 RBI

SS Bobby Crosby - .268, 22 HR, 85 RBI

3B Eric Chavez - .249, 13 HR, 51 RBI

DH Jason Stokes - .246, 21 HR, 74 RBI

2B Todd Walker - .287, 46 runs/2B Mark Ellis - .243, 9 HR

SP1 Rich Harden - 18-8, 240.1 IP, 229 K, 2.66 ERA

SP2 Dan Haren - 10-10, 177.1 IP, 139 K, 3.91 ERA

SP3 Tim Lincecum - 11-5, 142.1 IP, 163 K, 3.98 ERA

SP4 Chad Gaudin - 9-8, 145.0 IP, 106 K, 3.79 ERA

CL Huston Street - 35/41 SV, 4-10, 3.63 ERA