Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 03-23-2019, 11:05 AM   #181
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASURay View Post
That's the way the game plays as designed. Many have requested the option to take a demotion of "lock" yourself into a level. Until that is implemented, those players will have to use the means at their disposal. You're free to build a list of friends with the same goals as you and organize yourself into a stable league if you'd like to avoid the "tanking" teams (as rare as they are -- I've yet to encounter one and I've been playing since v19 beta).
You already admitted you lost on purpose so you know damn well it exists.

Locking teams at a level completely ruins the entire idea of having different tiers to have any kind of balance. All the whales would just lock themselves in at bronze and try to have an undefeated season while racking up 100k PP.

Horrible idea. Go play commissioner mode if you don't ever want to lose.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:06 AM   #182
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

Also, saying that it hurts 29 other teams is a vast overstatement of the problem. Half of the league will never play the tanking team. The teams in the tank's division probably quite appreciate their position. The only teams "hurt" are the non-division winners in the other two divisions that aren't themselves quite bad (i.e., the wild card competitors). That's, what? 2-3 teams?
ASURay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:07 AM   #183
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Also, saying that it hurts 29 other teams is a vast overstatement of the problem. Half of the league will never play the tanking team. The teams in the tank's division probably quite appreciate their position. The only teams "hurt" are the non-division winners in the other two divisions that aren't themselves quite bad (i.e., the wild card competitors). That's, what? 2-3 teams?
I'm glad you admitted that it hurts other teams. That's why there is an anti-tanking rule. Because it hurts other teams.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #184
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
You already admitted you lost on purpose so you know damn well it exists.

Locking teams at a level completely ruins the entire idea of having different tiers to have any kind of balance. All the whales would just lock themselves in at bronze and try to have an undefeated season while racking up 100k PP.

Horrible idea. Go play commissioner mode if you don't ever want to lose.
I "tanked" once, but did so creatively staying within the roster guidelines I had set for myself (only Mariners players). I just played the worst Mariners players I could find (which is most of them because, you know... they're the Mariners). Turned out to be the right move -- playing my team in Gold was much more fun (and profitable) than it was in Diamond. The extra PP I made allowed me to eventually buy the better Mariners players (and guys like the 2002 A-Rod card). I'm back in Diamond now and am pretty competitive. 10/10 - Would do it again.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:11 AM   #185
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
I'm glad you admitted that it hurts other teams. That's why there is an anti-tanking rule. Because it hurts other teams.
Fielding a team comprised entirely of Perfect cards hurts other teams in your league as well. Should those players be banned?
Old 03-23-2019, 11:13 AM   #186
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

Based on the argument you're struggling to make, it seems like you'd vote to have half the franchises in professional sports dissolved for "failing to compete."
Old 03-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #187
taz20075
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Here's the problem with the current system, using myself as an example. All sequential.

Bronze Winning Pct: .605 - Promoted
Silver Winning Pct: .531 - Promoted
Gold Winning Pct: .531 - Promoted
Diamond Winning Pct: .500, .512, .512, .488, .512, .537, .475, .630 - Promoted
Perfect Winning Pct: .444, .333 - Demoted
Diamond Winning Pct: .494, .500, .500, .500 (current)

I had no business being a Perfect team. It was a flukey season. I'm barely an average Diamond team. Being in middle-class purgatory in any division is a death sentence. I don't earn enough PP to be able to improve through the AH. I think this season I've opened 4 packs and got two players in the 70's.

I'm ok with being a .500 diamond team. It just isn't very fun. And after spending 4-$500 to be .500 I'm not inclined to spend more. This like any pay-to-win game is structured where the rich get richer. Spend more money, get better players, get better rewards, get better players, get better rewards...

I'd like to sell off everything of value and start over but there's no mechanism to do so without tanking.
taz20075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #188
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

You want us to look the other way...

Quote:
...because of the number of victims? I find that argument offensive on its best day, sir. It slouches towards Gomorrah.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:50 AM   #189
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Fielding a team comprised entirely of Perfect cards hurts other teams in your league as well. Should those players be banned?
No, because it's not against the terms of service.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #190
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
I "tanked" once, but did so creatively staying within the roster guidelines I had set for myself (only Mariners players). I just played the worst Mariners players I could find (which is most of them because, you know... they're the Mariners). Turned out to be the right move -- playing my team in Gold was much more fun (and profitable) than it was in Diamond. The extra PP I made allowed me to eventually buy the better Mariners players (and guys like the 2002 A-Rod card). I'm back in Diamond now and am pretty competitive. 10/10 - Would do it again.
Would report you every time.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:43 PM   #191
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Based on the argument you're struggling to make, it seems like you'd vote to have half the franchises in professional sports dissolved for "failing to compete."
I'd be in favor or penalties for this. If it was possible to define what tanking was in pro sports, I'd say take away their first round pick or some other penalty. Unfortunately, tanking (in pro sports) always will be something easier to spot and point at than it is to define. I don't bother with basketball anymore because it is out of hand there.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #192
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz20075 View Post
And after spending 4-$500 to be .500 I'm not inclined to spend more.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:03 AM   #193
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

How bad do you want it?

Quote:
Here's the problem with the current system, using myself as an example. All sequential.

Bronze Winning Pct: .605 - Promoted
Silver Winning Pct: .531 - Promoted
Gold Winning Pct: .531 - Promoted
Diamond Winning Pct: .500, .512, .512, .488, .512, .537, .475, .630 - Promoted
Perfect Winning Pct: .444, .333 - Demoted
Diamond Winning Pct: .494, .500, .500, .500 (current)
... ... ...
I'd like to sell off everything of value and start over but there's no mechanism to do so without tanking.
I'd be willing to wager that you could forge a settlement allowing a reset button...but you'd probably have to bite a pretty big bullet. We've got a very flexible group of guys on the development team. Why not try opening a dialog? Just realize...if I was in their shoes, I'd want you to pay a fairly steep price for utilizing that option. You're asking a lot, so they're entitled to as well. Talking to them about it costs nothing. Negotiate—the worst they'll do is say, "No."

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #194
uschi_baerchen
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
And after spending 4-$500 to be .500 I'm not inclined to spend more.

I do not think, that you are tanking, if you find out, that you somehow screwed up your Team though spending 400 Dollars. My Team is about in the same Situation than yours, BUT i spent 350 Dollars less. If I would buy for 100 Dollars Trout, Betts, DeGroom and Sale (I do not own either) replacing Cain, Ramirez, Corbin, Paxton my guestimate would be, that I would stay in Perfect.

This means: I guess you have spent too much Money on very expensive Players leaving big gaps elsewhere. Sell all the relative overpriced ones and replace the underperformers as far as perfect is concerned. This will cost you a 10% of your Investment only.
uschi_baerchen is offline   Reply With Quote