Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 12-03-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
AdamD
Minors (Single A)

Overvalued Cards?

In response to the "Undervalued Cards?" thread what are some of the higher rated cards that have turned out to be duds.

In the beta I opened a diamond Luis Severino that performed more like a silver level card. I think he was 9-7 with a 5.something ERA before he hit the AH for me.

Last edited by AdamD; 12-03-2018 at 02:26 PM.
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:23 PM   #2
Kem
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Dallas Keuchel played absolutely abysmally for me for several days before I put him in the reserve.
Kem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

I think most diamonds are overvalued, not just one or two. Look at any standard diamond and pretty much every time, you'll find an equivalent or better gold card. Or silver card. Or sometimes even a bronze card.

It makes me wonder if the bronze/silver/diamond/perfect minimum price limits are needed, or if each card should be allowed to find its own value at the AH.
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #4
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

half the RPs I've ever used....

and then the other half, half of the time
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #5
<Pion>
All Star Starter

What defines over valued? Is it the overall rating or diamond/gold/etc, or is it that people are asking for too much for a not so good player.

If the former, I would say Kris Bryant comes to mind as he is a diamond that habitually under performs. Asking for anything over his "Sell Value" is too much. His "Sell Value" seems more like a bargain for the owner given his lack of output.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:54 PM   #6
Fireanty
Minors (Rookie Ball)

96 Live Kluber's HR/9 is high, 91 Live Freeman doesn't handle RHP well.
Fireanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #7
Fireanty
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion> View Post
What defines over valued? Is it the overall rating or diamond/gold/etc, or is it that people are asking for too much for a not so good player.

If the former, I would say Kris Bryant comes to mind as he is a diamond that habitually under performs. Asking for anything over his "Sell Value" is too much. His "Sell Value" seems more like a bargain for the owner given his lack of output.
My Kris Bryant 0-7 to start the season.
Fireanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
ASURay
Minors (Triple A)

I'm skeptical of any LIVE card. Historical cards with the same OVR usually have much better ratings/performance. I think the AH values reflect this. You can get gold LIVE cards in the 80-84 range at pretty low prices now.
ASURay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #9
Weaseltail
Minors (Double A)

Most of the gold RP/CL cards are overvalued even at 1,000 PP. There are plenty of silver (and even a few bronze) cards with equal stats/performance for a fraction of the cost.
Weaseltail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #10
chazzycat
All Star Starter

What kind of sample sizes are these observations being based on?

I just started perfect team last week, so I just have one season of data. Even a whole season is a woefully small sample to draw any meaningful conclusions.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:43 PM   #11
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

open beta had something like 3 seasons, and there was a closed beta before that
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:52 PM   #12
The Melancholic
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion> View Post
The latter is really the only thing that should matter when it comes to looking for an under- or overvalued player. Everyone seems to realize that live cards are seldom as good as comparably-rated cards from the other sets, but it's usually reflected in their auction prices being a lot lower; the question should be whether it goes low enough to make them good value for the money you'll pay. Do you really need to spend 20k to get Johnny Bench, or will Yasmani Grandal for 2k be fine?
The Melancholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:18 AM   #13
uschi_baerchen
Minors (Single A)

Yasmani Grandal for 2k is a bargain.
uschi_baerchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:27 AM   #14
uschi_baerchen
Minors (Single A)

He could even start 0 - 10, now that he has collected 7 haymakers already. It is simply that the small law of high numbers hits starting 500 PAs or so. I would guess, that Bryant is in the class of Stargell, Judge or Rose, in other words: Keep him or replace him by Trout if you have another CF as good as Trout.
uschi_baerchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #15
Kushiel
All Star Starter

All card ratings are subjective. We have no empirical evidence that any type of card is better than another type. What one player thinks is garbage I may think is gorgeous and vice versa. Beauty as well as value is in the eye of the beholder.

All perfect and diamonds are overpriced.on the AH. That fact alone colors the opinion of all of us.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:20 PM   #16
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
All card ratings are subjective. We have no empirical evidence that any type of card is better than another type. What one player thinks is garbage I may think is gorgeous and vice versa. Beauty as well as value is in the eye of the beholder.
And that is precisely why this thread exists, so that we can compare our subjective opinions about cards
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:18 AM   #17
uvm87
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Anyone else having a problem with Benintendi?

Am I too impatient? He is rated a 75.

128 PAs - .177/.260/.292 -0.7 WAR 51 OPS+

Even as a platoon player against RHP
98 PAs - .205/.272/.313
uvm87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:03 AM   #18
The Melancholic
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uschi_baerchen View Post
Yasmani Grandal for 2k is a bargain.
As it happens, I just got him for about 1700 a few hours after writing that post.
The Melancholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:07 PM   #19
chazzycat
All Star Starter

All of my players have been in the ballpark of my expectations so far, with one exception: Aaron Hicks. He is hitting below the Mendoza line and WAR is approaching -1.

Gonna let him ride though. Small sample size and whatnot.

Last edited by chazzycat; 12-06-2018 at 09:18 PM.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:08 PM   #20
Will_L
All Star Reserve

Moved Pedro Guerrero for 30k BIN this morning after dropping it from my higher initial offering on Tuesday, thought I'd have to keep dropping the price for another week at least. I hope he performs great for the buyer. Spent the 27k PP along with 3k PP that I had for 25 regular packs and one gold pack but not opening them until Sunday since I want to keep all three of my teams intact for the season.
Will_L is offline   Reply With Quote