Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #1
John McGraw
Minors (Single A)

Simulation Seasons- What am I Doing Wrong?

Thought I'd give it a go and simulate a franchise history using the 1954 Baltimore Orioles. I went through the set up and played the season.

In real life, the team was 54-100. My season was 61-93. Great. I'm a terrific manager!

Next season, issues. I constantly get notices that a guy is on my active roster but not the 40-man. I figured out I needed to drag and drop him into the 40-man.

I keep getting guys through trades or waivers or whatever, and some I put on the roster, others I just drag and drop into a minor league team. These are players I've never heard of and I do not bother to manage the minor league. At one point, I had no one on a minor league team. So I had to move about 15 guys into it just to let me continue play for my Orioles team.

In 1955 (real life and in OOTP), the Orioles and Yankees traded Bob Turley for Gus Triandos and others. But before my season started, I lost Triandos to the Draft 5 Rule (whatever that is). I just let the computer AI handle it. I did get Triandos back, somehow, during the season.

I constantly get private messages which stop play and I do not know what to do. Sometimes I need to put a player on a roster. But to do that, I need to drop someone off my 25-man. I end up just releasing him because I don't know what else to do. He won't fit anywhere.

BUT MY BIGGEST PROBLEM:
My lineups shifts constantly--without me touching them. I will set up the vs RHP and vs LHP. I'll set the lineup and the utility guys. Then, when I get a private message, I'll check the lineup and it has no players in some positions and batters shifted in the line up and guys in different positions.

I keep adjusting it at every message break. It's a time waster. My pitching line up seems fine, but the batters are all over.

So, the 1955 season was a disaster 50-104 (57-95 real life). Close but I think my transactions and lineup shifts were a problem I could not control.

1956, I guided my team to a dismal 46-106, 56 1/2 games back season! (real life 69-85).

It's not the game's fault.

But, How can I control the line-ups better, and make realistic transaction player moves, and end these ridiculous private messages that stop play (even when they tell me--we lost a player to San Antonio AAA three days after I made the move)?
John McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:04 PM   #2
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Okay. There is a learning curve here, and there is also the possibility of customizing the game as you want it. We have all been through this. I will try to cover as many of these issues as I can.

First, I would say that you can shut off or turn off any function you don't want.

I hate the 40-man roster rule, for just the reason you mention. Go to the MLB icon at the top of the page and click on League Settings. Then go to Rules. You will see that you can turn off the option that says "Secondary (40-man) Secondary rule.

Once that is disabled, you no longer have to worry about who is and who is not on your 40-man roster. I personally prefer not using historical minors, which are confusing to me, as much as they are a very cool thing, and I instead set up only AAA, AA, and A level minors and allow incomplete minor league rosters, so only the players I put there are in the minors, so no fictional players show up in my historical league.

Once the 40-man roster rule is shut off, the Rule 5 Draft is too. That is a draft dating from the 1950s that was meant to prevent powerful teams like the Yankees hording good players in their minor league systems who should be playing in the majors.

It is a draft in which any player in the minors who is not on the 40-man roster can be drafted by another team - including you from other teams as well. But the caveat is that any player drafted in the Rule 5 draft MUST remain on your major league active roster all season. So you lose one of your 25 man positions, so it better be for a good player. I find it a confusing rule though and prefer it off.

Decide that for yourself. But if you start without the reserve roster and without Rule 5 and only go with one or more minor leagues you create, you have greatly simplified things.

Next, you have to decide if you want the financial system on. I don't like it, but decided that only after playing this game for years. If you want it off, you can shut it off ONLY during the PRESEASON. So you have to wait till after the World Series of your current year and then shut it off.

If you start a new game, you have to wait till after the inaugural draft to shut it off, or change it. But remember to do so immediately afterward or you can forget and be stuck with rules you don't want for a season.

Now, even if you DO want the financial system, you may not want to have to negotiate with draftees or players. You can keep finances, but shut that aspect off under Rules again - on the left you can decide if you want option years which I have never fully understood, so I click it off, and on the right side you can decide whether to use or not "Enable Advanced Draftee Negotiations" - contract bargaining. I don't like it, and always unclick that as well. Again, decide what is best for you. But you have control over it.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:12 PM   #3
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Now, are you in Commissioner Mode? If not, you should be. if you want to be able to control league functions and rules. Again, decide but most people I think prefer to be Commissioner as it allows us to remake the league if we need to. To do that, go to your name at the top of the page, click on it and then on Manager Options. On the right you will see "Play in Commissioner Mode" and also an option that reads "cannot be fired". You decide if you want those on. I keep them both on, as it gives me less to think about.

As to the strange comings and goings to your team, are you playing as manager only?

If so, that means that the AI is the GM of your team and is making all kinds of changes and you can only manage on the field. If that is what you want okay, but I see that it is driving you nuts, as it would me. So I play as GM and Manager both.

To do that, at the top of Manager Options on the right side, see the prompt for "Your Role" and click the drop down arrow to GM and Manager.

If you do that, the Roster itself, trades, and the draft etc. are all under your control as you are GM.

One more thing though, go to the Team name at the top of the page and click on Team Settings. See the box for "Prevent AI from making Roster Changes" - click it. This prevents the AI from making changes to who is on your team or what role they play etc. if you sim through a week or a month.

All that should stop the craziness of your team slipping through your fingers all the time as you play. Now, however, you have to decide on trade, who to draft in the year end first-year player draft etc. More work but also less annoying work and more control.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #4
italyprof
All Star Reserve

The preventing of the AI from making roster changes will also keep players in the positions you want them. The only change will be occasional daily lineup changes as one or another player is ill or tired and needs a day off. In those cases, if you are not happy with the proposed lineup at game start, before you start playing the day's game you can click up at the top to where you can adjust the starting lineup and pitcher by moving players in and out and up and down.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:17 PM   #5
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Finally, as to all those message breaks.

Go to Manager Options again and scroll down to "Exit Auto-Play" and unclick any of the things you don't care about. I unclick "notify for minor league player injuries" and also for personal messages sometimes.

So that will streamline your game for you. Otherwise, explore a little, looking for what interests or annoys you and see what the possibilities are. And good luck with the Orioles.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:34 AM   #6
John McGraw
Minors (Single A)

Wonder help, italyprof!

Really, appreciate it!!
John McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:44 AM   #7
Whoman69
Minors (Rookie Ball)

The Rule V draft means that players who have a certain playing time in your organization are in line to be drafted by other teams if they are not on your 40 man roster. The catch for those teams is they have to keep the players they draft on their 25 man roster the entire season.