Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Technical Support > Bug Reports Forum

Bug Reports Forum Have a bug to report? Please post here.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
Ashbury
Minors (Single A)

Team budgets are messed up

Hi. I have been running a fictional league - mostly with basic settings although I might be forgetting something. It's been running for many seasons by now, reaching season 2073 which has given the league a lot of time to evolve. Something in this league that I don't recall seeing before is some kind of inflationary factor that increases revenues and salaries beyond what we are used to now - revenue around a billion per team. Salaries have risen to match.

The problem is that team owners keep the Budget only about half a billion. This doesn't seem to cause any limitations on non-player teams - they go ahead and sign free agents to expensive contracts. But as the human player, my owner keeps telling me I am above budget. I can't sign anyone, I can't even trade my expensive players for prospects because essentially every other team has negative budget room too. The game, as it has evolved, has become unplayable, and I'll have to start over.

Each owner is pocketing half a billion in profit every season. Good for them, I guess.

I have uploaded a zipfile to the support FTP site - my first time trying so I hope I didn't mess something up in doing so. The file name is ashbury_ootp.zip.

Last edited by Matt Arnold; 06-21-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Ashbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #2
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

<removed the img that didn't crop up>

You have inflation on in your finances, which is why the figures are rising higher and higher. What's happening is that some numbers internally are "overflowing", which is why the budgets aren't keeping pace.

If you go to Game->Game Settings, in the bottom right there's a button "Adjust Global Coefficient". Hit that (which basically changes numbers internally), and then teams should start seeing their budgets growing again (your budget will grow to 550M next year, 660m the year after). You might want to also change for at least one year to not have owners decide budgets, which should get everyone up to the 1B mark on budgets and let them spend up to however much their revenue is. After a year of budgets like that, you could potentially switch back to having owners decide, but you probably want to "lock in" at least one year at the higher budget amounts.

Finally, if the numbers seem way too high to you, after doing the "Adjust Global Coefficient" like I said above, in the same space right above it is a box. After hitting the button, the box should show 10.0000. If you lower that value, then it will have the effect of lowering all visual financial numbers in the game. So, for example, if you hit the adjust global coefficient button once and then change the 10 to a 1 afterwards, then all salaries/budgets/tickets/etc... will be 1/10 of what they were before. It will affect historical financial values (ie. salary history for players), but everything will still stay relatively the same, basically the equivalent of chopping off a 0 at the end of all numbers in the game. (or setting it to 5 will cut all numbers in half, etc...)
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:59 PM   #3
Ashbury
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
<removed the img that didn't crop up>

You have inflation on in your finances, which is why the figures are rising higher and higher. What's happening is that some numbers internally are "overflowing", which is why the budgets aren't keeping pace.

If you go to Game->Game Settings, in the bottom right there's a button "Adjust Global Coefficient". Hit that (which basically changes numbers internally), and then teams should start seeing their budgets growing again (your budget will grow to 550M next year, 660m the year after). You might want to also change for at least one year to not have owners decide budgets, which should get everyone up to the 1B mark on budgets and let them spend up to however much their revenue is. After a year of budgets like that, you could potentially switch back to having owners decide, but you probably want to "lock in" at least one year at the higher budget amounts.

Finally, if the numbers seem way too high to you, after doing the "Adjust Global Coefficient" like I said above, in the same space right above it is a box. After hitting the button, the box should show 10.0000. If you lower that value, then it will have the effect of lowering all visual financial numbers in the game. So, for example, if you hit the adjust global coefficient button once and then change the 10 to a 1 afterwards, then all salaries/budgets/tickets/etc... will be 1/10 of what they were before. It will affect historical financial values (ie. salary history for players), but everything will still stay relatively the same, basically the equivalent of chopping off a 0 at the end of all numbers in the game. (or setting it to 5 will cut all numbers in half, etc...)

I'll give this a try. The inflationary factor is something I don't remember setting (it's been weeks ago now since I began this league), but is kind of a fun wrinkle so I might have done it - it has caused me to be more flexible in how I play, which is always a plus, at least until the internal inconsistency became so great. The solution you propose seems arcane, and I don't understand why under defaults the owners set budgets not in line with the internal economics the game has defined for itself. But at least it will get me going again. Not that I couldn't just start over of course.
Ashbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:51 PM   #4
Andy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashbury View Post
I'll give this a try. The inflationary factor is something I don't remember setting (it's been weeks ago now since I began this league), but is kind of a fun wrinkle so I might have done it - it has caused me to be more flexible in how I play, which is always a plus, at least until the internal inconsistency became so great. The solution you propose seems arcane, and I don't understand why under defaults the owners set budgets not in line with the internal economics the game has defined for itself. But at least it will get me going again. Not that I couldn't just start over of course.
I think inflation is on by default in fictional leagues for some reason.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote