Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-11-2020, 11:40 PM   #161
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

1985 Winter Meetings

Dec. 3, 1985

I awaken to an 8 a.m. wake-up call. Shower, dress, and downstairs for breakfast and schmoozing. By 9 a.m. the team has all arrived and it’s back to the suite for our first internal meeting. We go over the plan, and we decide our first goal is to research teams for the kinds of relievers we’d want in a trade. We’re looking for non-closers with good stuff and good control, and hopefully better stuff than control.

Quickly, news trickles in. A bunch of our minor-league targets sign or are optimistic about signing. Good.

Next, we find out pitcher Doyle Alexander, who signed a two-year option deal with Baltimore last offseason, was traded to the White Sox, and then whose option was voided by Chicago after 1985, has re-signed with his old team Toronto. He gets a one-year, $570K deal. These are the contracts we’re expecting outside maybe two or three guys.

Next, the Cardinals must’ve been fretting the market, because they’ve signed pitcher Lamar Hoyt to a three-year deal worth $2.25 million. It’s $750K per season, and everyone at the meetings seems amazed that the Cards read the market that way.

So, considering Alexander got a low-market deal and the Cards threw a dose of entropy into the mix, I call up Mike Scott’s agent to arrange a liquid lunch. That’s when I get a call from Rickey Henderson’s agent, Richie Bry: Another team has entered an aggressive offer that they’re heavily considering. He wants to grab a drink to feel out our situation.

So, I ask Omar to chat with Mike Scott’s agent over drinks. I head offsite to chat with Richie. Omar is a good assistant GM.

Over whiskeys on the rocks, Richie tells me another team has stepped up. We would need to get close to $20 million total to beat the offer, and he tells me Rickey will take the highest offer. I ask him about years, and Richie says offers are “competitive.” I start scribbling, saying I’ll call within the hour.

As I leave the meeting, Rangers’ GM Kevin Schmidt corners me. He says he thinks I’m dangling Chris James. I tell him everything dangles, then he asks if I want a backup catcher. Sounds weird, and I know what he has, but he does it anyway: He offers Bo Diaz for James PLUS Jeff Stone. I laugh and head to the elevator. He has to be joking, right?

Back in the suite I go over numbers as Omar returns. I tell him to wait on Scott intel until we figure out the Rickey offer, and we decide to offer our soft cap with nine years, but with two options at the end instead of one. Considering our previous offer was a level AAV, we stick with that route. Our offer: 9Y, $20.25 million (options in 1993, 1994).

I call Richie, and he replies with one word: “Yup.”
  • CF Rickey Henderson - 9Y/$20.25M including two team options (considering)

Back to Mike Scott: He would love to have the highest AAV of any pitcher in baseball. Currently that means beating the recently signed John Tudor, who got $1.38M from California. I’m hesitant and decide that we should see if his market comes down.

After a reception for our rookie league staff members, we have a dinner meeting to go over relief trade options. Parameters: Stuff that’s scouted at 60 or better with control that’s scouted at 40 or better. The list:
  • Ken Howell, LA - RP - 52/52 - 75 STU, 40 CTR
  • Juan Berenguer, MTL - RP - 62/62 - 75 STU, 45 CTR
  • Mark Langston, SEA - RP - 51/52 - 70 STU, 40 CTR
  • Scott Garrelts - SF - RP - 60/60 - 65 STU, 45 CTR
  • Greg Harris - MTL - RP - 57/57 - 65 STU, 50 CTR
  • Kurt Mattson - SF - 44/44 - 65 STU, 45 CTR
  • Lance McCullers - SD - 51/51 - 65 STU, 40 CTR
  • Calvin Schiraldi - NYM - 42/47 - 65 STU, 40 CTR
  • Lee Smith - CHC - 70/70 - 65 STU, 50 CTR
  • Tim Stoddard - MTL - 49/49 - 65 STU, 45 CTR
  • Ken Dayley - ATL - 51/51 - 60 STU, 50 CTR
  • Mark Eichorn - TOR - 47/50 - 60 STU, 50 CTR
  • Steve Farr - CLE - 49/51 - 60 STU, 45 CTR
  • Cecilio Guante - PIT - 57/57 - 60 STU, 50 CTR
  • Andy McGaffigan - MTL - 63/63 - 60 STU, 50 CTR

We have two players on this list: Don Carman and Todd Worrell. A third would go a long way in competing with Montreal’s loaded bullpen.

I’m interested first in 25-year-old Guante, plus Smith (of course) and Dayley (who was just converted to a reliever), though I can’t imagine these guys wouldn’t want to be closers. Anyway, I’d be surprised if Montreal, Los Angeles or the Mets deal with us, and frankly, I’d rather not right now.

I call Pirates GM Dennis Rodriguez on Guante, and he says he’d take Worrell one-for-one. I’d rather not, but at least there’s a doable opening. I dangle James, and he says he’d need insurance, like Glenn Wilson. That feels like too much on my end.

On to Chicago and GM Dan Kacala, who’d do James and Todd Worrell for Smith. Honestly, that isn’t bad, and Smith is under contract through 1987.

Finally, Atlanta. GM TJ Williams would do the same kind of deal, or James and Luis Polonia, for Dayley. Seems like too much for him.

If we were to do a deal with the Cubs, our bullpen would be:
  • RP - Lee Smith
  • RP - Larry Andersen
  • RP - Paul Assenmacher
  • RP - Donnie Moore
  • RP - Don Carman
  • RP - (long reliever)

That’s acceptable, but it means we’re still not growing these young arms (plus it means Worrell is gone). I’m on the fence. I like Smith, and two years is good, but this is the tug of war: go young or win now? I sleep not knowing what to do.

Dec. 4, 1985

Wake-up call at 8 a.m. Already exhausted.

Oakland GM Larry Haney offers us a terrible trade that I reject immediately. It’s at this time I ask the team to gauge interest in Chris James and decide to find Rangers GM Kevin Schmidt once again.

Schmidt dangles us Diaz again, plus a whole bunch of nothing. And my team reports that the only serious suitors for James were the Yankees and Expos. Both would dangle me decent relievers (New York would trade me Shane Rawley, while Montreal would send Juan Berenguer). All seems fishy to me.

I check back in with Chicago, and GM Dan Kacala says he’d do Smith for Scott Sanderson, straight up. Now that’s intriguing.

Essentially we’d have a four-man rotation heading into 1986, but I’d have a battle for the five spot: Mike Maddux, Joe Johnson, and Blaise Ilsley certainly, possibly Kelly Downs if healthy, and maybe an outside pickup, but we’d have to entertain getting into the starting pitcher market, and maybe that means Mike Scott.

This isn’t too crazy. Sanderson had a career year last year (220.2 IP, 3.18 ERA, 142 K, 47 BB, 5.0 WAR), but I don’t expect him to duplicate this performance. His saving grace is good control and a couple decent pitches he uses smartly. In short, he could stumble and it wouldn’t be shocking.

I don’t know. I’m soured on losing Sanderson. If Henderson falls through, maybe we think about upgrading the bullpen that much. Signing Bobby Castillo feels much better at this point, and since he wants a minor league deal with a conditional option, we offer him a deal straight away.

Another reception, this time for our amazing Clearwater squad and the not-as-good Spartanburg team, and then more meetings. Afterward, I find Enos Cabell’s agent in the lobby and chat. He wants a one-year deal at fair market value. We go back and forth and settle on one year and $250,000. They’ll think it over.
  • RF/1B Enos Cabell - 1Y/$250K (considering)

Before heading to bed, I hear a rumor that the Yankees are trying to trade reliever Jay Howell (age 30, 51/51). He put up a 5.16 ERA last season but with pretty bad luck. He has good stuff (fastball, curveball mostly) and decent control, a perfect middle reliever who’s a free agent after 1986.

I call Yankees GM Sean Healy, and he’d do Chris James one-for-one. Hell. I tell Sean I’m going to sleep on it.

Dec. 5, 1985

I find out pretty quickly that Kevin Schmidt in Arlington has found someone to take Bo Diaz: the Reds. They trade the Rangers crummy prospect Jeff Peterek. Sheesh.

Meanwhile, the Giants trade pitcher Frank Williams to Kansas City for prospects David Cone and Jere Longenecker. Oh, Royals …

The Red Sox offer us a bad trade. Anyway.

I decide I would do a trade with the Yankees, but I’d need a prospect back with Howell, so I start hashing things out with Sean Healy. I want a 19-year-old pitcher named Juan Guzman, who was a seventh-round pick in 1984-85 and already has an above-average slider and a potentially above-average sinker and changeup. So Healy comes back wanting infielder Juan Sanchez, a 21-year-old I have no use for right now. For some reason Omar loves him and doesn’t want to let him go, so I find a way to talk him off the ledge.

Look, if we’re going to trade Chris James for a one-year player, we need a good prospect. And if we get a good prospect, we’ll have to give up someone in turn. And this someone isn’t good. If Sanchez turns into something, I’ll make sure Omar is set for life, I tell him. He agrees.

Good. We have a deal.

TRADE

To New York Yankees:

LF Chris James
2B Juan Sanchez

To: Philadelphia Phillies:

RP Jay Howell
SP Juan Guzman

We add a useful middle reliever and a projectable prospect by trading a guy who didn’t have a carved-out future for us and a true throw-in. I’m all for it.

At this point we’re content to let the rest of the winter meetings continue without poking. We have a reception tonight for the AA Reading squad and its coaches, including Tim Terzic, who I’m speaking with more often about prospect development. It’s a crucial year in Reading, where a number of interesting players will perform - Tim Belcher, Marvin Freeman, Jeff Gray, Michael Jackson, Ricky Jordan, Luis Polonia, Shawn Dantzler, Billy Bates … and Gregg Jefferies.

All in all, more of a quieter winter meetings so far.

At night, we head out for a big team dinner, get a little tipsy, do some other things and get in wicked late.

Dec. 6, 1985

Up late this morning, but it doesn’t seem to matter.

Still quiet out there, and we have one more reception today for AAA Portland. Otherwise, I field a few more calls - nothing really goes forward. And I hear from a few folks that the Rickey Henderson saga may bleed into the next few weeks, since teams are still submitting offers to compete with ours and, possibly, others around ours.

After a crazy first half of the week, things have really slowed.

The reception goes well, and our coaching staff in Portland - manager Carlos De La Cruz is back for another season - is excited and would love to get some work in the majors. I tell him we’ll get him to Philly by September, so he can hang out in the dugout.

After the reception we get to bed early. We have a flight to catch at 8 a.m.
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:50 AM   #162
tayloraj
Minors (Double A)

Thanks for writing this series; it's really immersed me into your game world and also caused me to rethink how I approach my own historical sims. Not quite the same level of detail, but a lot more headcanoning as to how players are reacting to their circumstances.
tayloraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:28 AM   #163
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Thanks!

Yeah, the headcanoning is maybe the most fun part. Everything statistical and results-based is real and happening the game, but why not fill in the spaces with fantasy?

Also, I'm hoping to do more updates over the next few weeks, since I imagine more people will be looking for outlets for "sports." Stay healthy, everyone.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:43 AM   #164
progen
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Yea, definitely keep it up. Enjoy reading the ups and downs of the "Fightins".
progen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:30 PM   #165
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Dec. 7, 1985

We wake and get to the airport by 7 a.m. On the plane by 7:30.

When we land in Philly, I’m asked to call the office: Bill Campbell has signed with Detroit. It’s a two-year, $1.12 million contract. He made $760K over two years with us. I can understand why Campbell might be a good pickup, but we just don’t want someone who only wants to close games. It didn’t work for him last season, so it’s better we move on.

I decide to call Jeff Reardon’s agent to check in. He says Jeff wants three years and $627K per year. So we’re talking more than Campbell in both AAV and years.

My current bullpen (with Dick Howser’s likely configuration) is:
  • CL - Larry Andersen
  • SU - Donnie Moore
  • SU - Paul Assenmacher
  • MR - Jay Howell
  • MR - Todd Worrell / Don Carman
  • LR - Kelly Downs / Joe Johnson / Mike Maddux

It works. If I were to add Reardon (or any established name), that would mean little major league play for Worrell and Carman, and I don’t want that. So, again, nothing at the top.

Dec. 8, 1985

Sunday rest, and hall of fame voting begins today. The likely top of the ballot:
  • Hoyt Wilhelm - 70% in 1985
  • Luis Aparicio - 65.1% in 1985
  • Lou Brock - 58.9% in 1985
  • Willie McCovey - new in 1986

None of the other newcomers are likely to even get very far in the vote. So it could be the year someone with a lower former vote total makes a leap. Those players include Billy Williams (42% in 1985), Jim Bunning (38.1% in 1985), and Catfish Hunter (38.1% in 1985).

For dinner I meet with Mike Schmidt and let him know about our pursuit of Rickey Henderson. He’s energized and thinks we can win the National League.

Dec. 9, 1985

I wake and head to the office. We get good news with a few of those minor league free agents signing, so our tentative spring training roster is at about 52. (Of course, I’m not tied to the 52 I have on board.) But we have three minor league contracts still out there, plus two offers on the table. That brings us to 57. We’ll probably add a couple more names after that, so we’re where we want to be.

But that’s about it today. Meetings with new major league staffers, and no news about Rickey Henderson.

Still, I call up Von Hayes, Steve Carlton, and Paul Molitor and let them know about the Rickey pursuit. Everyone is excited and thinks it’s the right move.

Dec. 10, 1985

More and more meetings. The market is moving slower than molasses.

But then, late in the day, I get a phone call from Angel Gomez, the GM of the California Angels.

“How much money do you guys have in Philly?”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Come on, don’t play coy with me. You know damn well.”

“Honestly, I’m in the dark.”

“Shoot. Maybe word just travels slow to the east. I heard Rickey was bowled over by your offer and he’s coming your way.”

“Look, I imagine every other team is in it-”

“Nah. I’ve heard from Seattle, Chicago … he’s yours.”

It’s a nice call. I don’t believe it, and I won’t believe it until it happens.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:44 PM   #166
progen
All Star Starter

Signing Henderson would be huge!!
Old 03-18-2020, 12:11 AM   #167
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Dec. 11, 1985

In the middle of another round of meetings, I’m asked to step away and field a call. It’s Richie Bry; was Angel Gomez right?

“Rickey’s on board. Nine years with the two options. $20 million total. Phillies pinstripes.”

I guess Angel was right.

The celebration begins. We break out the good liquor.

SIGNED

CF Rickey Henderson - 9 years, $20 million (two option years)

We’re talking about Henderson’s legacy being built in Philadelphia. If he makes the hall of fame, maybe he wears the Phillies “P” on his plaque. He’s signed through at least 1992, and maybe until 1994. That means once we’re past 1989, he potentially becomes the franchise player. A tremendous moment. We’re thinking long-term as much as we are thinking short-tem. It’s a proud day for us.

Meanwhile, catcher Terry Kennedy signs with the Yankees for four years and $4.52 million. Seems a bit much.

For dinner, I take out the crew for a celebratory meal. Jayson Stark knows where I am and wants a quote, but I let him know that this time, we’re still unofficial. Rickey’s physical is set for the morning, and then we hope to arrange a press conference. “Don’t worry. If I’m ready to give a quote, you’ll be first on my list,” I tell him.

Dec. 12, 1985

Rickey Henderson passes his physical in the morning, and we call the press conference for Friday (tomorrow) morning. I decline to give quotes as my name, but “rival scouts” don’t mind putting in their two cents:

“If Rickey’s speed stays with him, this is a potential steal by Philly.”

“With Rickey, Samuel, UL Washington, Molitor, and Von Hayes, we’re talking about maybe the fastest team this game has ever seen.”

Jayson Stark’s story in the Inquirer goes in depth on “an organization hellbent on terrorizing opposing pitchers and catchers.”

Late at night, Rickey’s flight arrives at Philadelphia International Airport. We greet him, his family, and agent Richie Bry, ensure he’s off to a hotel, and prepare the stadium for a press conference.

Dec. 13, 1985

Now age 43, Ron Reed signs with the Yankees for one year and $236K. We thought maybe he’d retire after an up-and-down, injury-plagued season, but nope.

Meanwhile, we have the press conference. Rickey fields questions about what he hopes his legacy will be in Philadelphia (“I want to be one of the greatest here, and that’s gonna happen.”), why the Phillies were his choice (“they want to win every year”), and what he feels about the team this year (“Rickey expects nothing less than highlights.”).

And I’m asked about why Rickey, why now: “Because we’re looking at now and later, and there’s no doubt Rickey Henderson checks all the boxes. He’s the present and the future of this ballclub.”

After the conference, we give the Henderson family a tour of the facilities. Later, it’s a nice dinner out. Rickey buys us a round: “Rickey’s got more money than all of you fools,” he laughs. It’s a good time to be alive.

Dec. 14, 1985

All the stories are out today, including opinion pieces claiming we might be the favorite in the National League. Sports Illustrated is hoping to come out to visit over spring training. I have a relaxing Saturday at home.

Dec. 15, 1985

And a relaxing Sunday at home. Not a lot of movement in the market, so we’re still just hanging around and waiting.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:04 PM   #168
Havencheese
Bat Boy

Sorry for the break but I’ve finally caught up. This is great storytelling, it’s gotten me through flights, airport lounges just before recent events. Just wanted to say how much I’m enjoying it, especially whatever song it is you’re listening to relevant to the era. That’s the gravy right there. Good luck this season!
Havencheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #169
progen
All Star Starter

Always funny when Henderson would speak in the "third person". Ricky felt good hitting that home run, Ricky felt great being voted to the All star team, etc. Randall Cunningham used to do this too, which I thought was hilarious. There was a Seinfeld episode on this, which was funny as hell. The "Jimmy" episode.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:09 PM   #170
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

As a big Seinfeld fan, I had to laugh just thinking of Mel Torme singing to Kramer.

Plenty more Rickey quotes coming down the road!
Old 03-23-2020, 05:19 PM   #171
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Dec. 16, 1985

The White Sox unload Carlton Fisk to Texas for equally-as-old second baseman Toby Harrah. Chicago apparently saw negotiations as “difficult.” Really? They’re well matched. This deal makes sense. The Sox are delusional.

Today we start talking about the Rule 5 Draft; specifically, players we want to add to the 40-man roster to keep them from being selected. Our top-10 options (we have 37 of 40 spots filled right now):
  • CF Jim Eisenreich - AAA - 35/46
  • RP Joe Boever - AAA - 30/40
  • LF/1B/CF - Keith Hughes - AAA - 29/38
  • LF/RF/CF/3B/SS - Gib Seibert - AAA - 27/31
  • 1B Pat Adams - AAA - 29/33
  • 2B/3B/SS - Greg Legg - AAA - 30/35
  • SS/2B/3B - Ken Dowell - AAA - 23/34
  • RP Rich Gaynor - AAA - 29/29
  • CF/RF/3B/1B/SS - Greg Jelks - AA - 24/31
  • RF/2B/CF - Ramon Sambo - AA - 21/31

We don’t imagine anyone beyond maybe Legg being selected (also, catcher Bruce Bochy is the one non-roster invitee that could go), so we’ll probably take the risk this year and protect fewer players. Still hashing things out, though.

Dec. 17, 1985

You can add SS Ricky Adams to that list; the utility bat with solid speed signs a minor league deal.

We’re also heading into prep for what we might want in the Rule 5 Draft, but like last season, we’re not so sure we’ll be looking to add anything. The only possibility: if there’s a painfully obvious bench bat available to us. As of right now, our most likely bench is:
  • C Tommy Thompson
  • 3B/CF/2B/1B/SS Bill Lyons
  • SS/2B/3B Steve Jeltz
  • LF/RF Bruce Fields
  • LF/CF Dave Stegman
  • LF/RF Jeff Stone

It’s not the greatest bench, and we might add to it in free agency (we have that offer out to Enos Cabell), but we do have options. The Rule 5 would have to show us a clear-cut upgrade.

Dec. 18, 1985

The Pirates make a big play, signing 3B Tim Wallach to a seven-year, $9.15 million contract (the seventh year is a player option). At age 28, Wallach has been known more for his defense, winning the last two Gold Glove awards at third base. His hitting, however, has declined since a pretty good 1983 (.269/.335/.434). He still has power, though (21 home runs and 26 doubles last year), though one could argue he should’ve had more (670 plate appearances).

Pittsburgh has to be hoping Wallach improves offensively. Otherwise he’s a nice piece, but maybe not a seven-year type. Either way, he’ll join Jay Buhner, Bobby Bonilla, and Joe Orsulak in a younger Pirates lineup.

And the third base market is rapidly shrinking with Milwaukee locking in Denny Walling on a two-year, $548K deal. Walling hit .272/.307/.420 last season in Oakland. He’s a decent if uninspiring third baseman.

On our end, I check back in with Mike Scott’s camp and it’s the same line. He wants the most money for a pitcher. Also, I’m hearing the Brewers are trying to snag him. Looks like Milwaukee thinks it has a shot in 1986.

Finally, I call up Dan Kacala with the Cubs once again about Lee Smith. He says the same thing: Scott Sanderson, straight up. It remains intriguing, but I can’t in good conscience steer away from my plans.

Dec. 19, 1985

Time to make decisions on who to save for the Rule 5 Draft. We’re going with:
  • CF Jim Eisenreich - AAA - 35/46
  • RP Joe Boever - AAA - 30/40
  • LF/1B/CF - Keith Hughes - AAA - 29/38
  • 1B Pat Adams - AAA - 29/33

We had just three spots to play with at first, so we waived both SP Steve Witt and RP Karl Best, who we’re hoping we can get back. It gives us a 40th roster spot to play with, if we happen to get a heck of a deal.

Dec. 20, 1985

First news of the day: The Angels sign 2B Tony Bernazard to a three-year, $2.84M deal. Seems like a slight overpay, especially as they could’ve probably gotten back the better Bobby Grich for less or the same. But then again, they’re hoping Bernazard plays like he did with Cleveland last season (.328/.377/.449) before being dealt to Atlanta.

Anyway, Rule 5 Draft time. The pool is very pitching heavy and sadly includes the great Rollie Fingers. I don’t see us diving in (we pick 24th). Let’s see what happens;
  • 1. Oakland Athletics - Tim Crews - SP - 36/36
  • 2. Atlanta Braves - Tom Paciorek - 3B - 36/36
  • 5. Cleveland Indians - Mike Rubel - C - 33/37
  • 6. Texas Rangers - Doug Sisk - RP - 44/44
  • 7. Chicago Cubs - Bryan Funk - 40/41
  • 8. Chicago White Sox - Vern Ruhle - RP - 38/38
  • 11. Baltimore Orioles - Gary Lucas - RP - 38/38
  • 13. Cincinnati Reds - Ed Jurak - SS - 34/37
  • 14. Kansas City Royals - Sam Horn - 1B - 34/41
  • 15. St. Louis Cardinals - Ricky Adams - SS - 31/31
  • 22. Montreal Expos - Chris Johnson - CF - 35/40
  • 25. Los Angeles Dodgers - Scott Parsons - LF - 34/39
  • 27. Oakland Athletics - Dennis Leonard - RP - 42/42
  • 28. Atlanta Braves - Ross Jones - SS - 32/38
  • 31. Cleveland Indians - Don Heinkel - RP - 39/39
  • 32. Texas Rangers - Andy Araujo - RP - 39/39
  • 33. Chicago Cubs - Joe Sambito - RP - 37/37
  • 34. Chicago White Sox - Mike Schmid - RP - 37/37
  • 53. Los Angeles Dodgers - Mike Patterson - CF - 33/34

So I lose Jurak and Adams, both minor league free agent signings, so no big losses at all. That said, I’m going to head back and look for more middle infielders for minor league deals.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #172
progen
All Star Starter

Sent you a PM. Looking forward to the Phils new season!
Old 03-24-2020, 10:48 PM   #173
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Dec. 21, 1985

Most of the staff is now on break. I’m just checking in with the answering service while spending my holiday with family. I don’t imagine anyone making any overtures over the next couple days; but then again, last year I found out about two signings on Christmas night. Who knows …

Okay, things are happening in the league. Pittsburgh comes to terms with starter-turned-reliever Bob Forsch (one year, $910K), and Bobby Grich goes to the White Sox (three years, $2.61M). Nothing we’re concerned with.

Dec. 22, 1985

A quiet day as everyone settles into Christmas mode.

As a thought experiment, I decided to go through the depth chart and list my third-string team. What that means is we’re not talking the starters or backups (and in this exercise, players can’t play multiple positions, so for example, Mike Schmidt isn’t my third-string third baseman), just the third guy down the line going by primary position. It gives me an idea of who we might have to rely on in an emergency or unsavory situation. For the bench, we go with the fourth-string catcher and next men up in reserved bench spots, and for the pitching rotation, we’re talking about starters seven through 12 (counting a long man), and in the bullpen it’s relievers seven through 11.

Essentially, these are the guys outside the 25-man roster at the moment.

In parenthesis are the players ahead of the third-stringer on the depth chart.
  • C - Mike LaValliere - 39/49 (Darren Daulton, Tommy Thompson)
  • 1B - Pat Adams - 29/33 (Mike Schmidt, Rick Schu)
  • 2B - Greg Legg - 30/35 (Juan Samuel, Steve Kiefer)
  • 3B - Gib Seibert - 27/31 (Paul Molitor, Bill Lyons)
  • SS - Albert Hall - 32/36 (UL Washington, Steve Jeltz)
  • LF - George Wright - 28/30 (Von Hayes, Bruce Fields)
  • CF - Jim Eisenreich - 35/46 (Rickey Henderson, Dave Stegman)
  • RF - Dan Norman - 28/28 (Glenn Wilson, Jeff Stone)
  • C2 - Bruce Bochy - 34/34
  • IF5 - Ken Dowell - 23/34 - 2B/3B/SS
  • IF6 - Francisco Melendez - 30/37 - 1B/LF
  • OF4 - Keith Hughes - 29/38 - LF/1B
  • OF5 - Luis Polonia - 29/48 - CF/RF/LF
  • IF/OF - Kenneth Mahnken - 24/24 - 3B/RF
  • SP1 - Joe Johnson - 39/39 (John Denny, Charles Hudson, Kevin Gross, Steve Carlton, Scott Sanderson, Kelly Downs)
  • SP2 - Mike Maddux - 37/44
  • SP3 - Blaise Ilsley - 36/36
  • SP4 - Rodger Cole - 26/26
  • SP5 - William Jester - 36/36
  • LM1 - Rich Devincenzo - 33/33
  • RP1 - Chuck Cary - 38/38 (Larry Andersen, Donnie Moore, Jay Howell, Paul Assenmacher, Don Carman, Todd Worrell)
  • RP2 - Karl Best - 33/33
  • RP3 - John McLarnan - 38/38
  • RP4 - Kenneth Walker - 36/36
  • RP5 - Rich Gaynor - 29/29

Essentially this tells me where I should prioritize my late-offseason signings for depth. I could use another middle infield or third base body (though Gregg Jefferies isn’t far from making this list and leaping over everyone), and the corner outfield positions look a little naked. On the mound I could use another starter or two, and maybe one more reliever would suffice.

Dec. 23, 1985

Home for the holidays. Really appreciating this Scandinavian band A-Ha. Their song “Take on Me” was No. 1 this fall, but I’m really into the spacier stuff on their album. Great sound!

Dec. 24, 1985

I get a Christmas Eve call from Bobby Castillo’s agent; the reliever wants a boost in his conditional minor league deal. Seems another team is interested. I don’t mind going up a bit, so it’ll be $180K if he makes the team before the 30 days is up.

Dec. 25, 1985

On Christmas Day, the baseball world learns that Bert Blyleven has a new home, and it’s St. Louis. Hmmm. He signs for four years and $4 million. He had an off year last season (4.72 ERA), but he’s better than that. I’m not very concerned (I feel his best days are back in the mid-1970s), but he could be tough to beat a few times for us.

Also, Blyleven and Hoyt make for a secure veteran backbone of a rotation featuring younger arms like Dave LaPoint, Danny Cox, and 22-year-old Scott Bankhead.

Also, left fielder Johnny Grubb goes to the White Sox.

Dec. 26, 1985

The Red Sox sign reliever Tom Burgmeier to a one-year, $454K pact.

So, jumping off my thought experiment: If I should prioritize depth signings on middle infield, corner outfield, back of the rotation and middle of the bullpen, who are the targets I should watch? I rip through my yellow pads and look for names we were highlighting during our many planning meetings.

Middle Infield / Third Base
Wanted: Versatile at multiple positions with speed and/or pop
  • Jerry Royster - LF/3B/2B/SS - 43/43 - 55 SPD, 60 STL, 60 BSR, 45 HRP, 55 GPP
  • Dale Berra - 3B/2B/SS - 31/31 - 40 HRP, 50 GPP
  • German Barranca - 2B/3B/SS - 20/20 - 60 SPD, 65 STL, 70 BSR

Corner Outfield
Wanted: Versatile defender with pop
  1. Steve Kemp - LF/RF/CF/1B - 43/43 - 50 HRP, 60 GPP
  2. Ellis Valentine - LF/RF/1B - 28/28 - 50 HRP, 50 GPP
  3. Rick Manning - LF/RF/CF - 25/25 - 40 HRP, 45 GPP
  4. George Vukovich - LF/RF - 31/31 - 40 HRP, 45 GPP

Starting Pitching
Wanted:
High-stuff arm with workable control
  • Mike Scott - 59/59 - 65 STU, 55 CTR
  • Bruce Berenyi - 39/39 - 50 STU, 35 CTR

Relief Pitching
Wanted:
More control, but at least decent stuff
  • Willie Hernandez - 50/50 - 50 STU, 65 CTR
  • Aurelio Lopez - 46/46 - 40 STU, 55 CTR
  • Dennis Martinez - 40/40 - 40 STU, 50 CTR

These are the guys I’ll be watching as the offseason continues. Yes, even Mike Scott.

Dec. 27, 1985

Flying back to Philadelphia. The league is quiet. Just what I want.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #174
clamel
All Star Starter

Brilliant coverage of a historical save. It's filled with so much story inside the game and that makes it feel very real indeed.
Thanks for it, and I hope you keep it up.

Then I got some questions on draft issues.
It's still early mid-80s for you, but how will you deal with "problems" later on when Japanese players and Cuban defectors pop up in the draft ?
You can see players like Carlos Baerga and Carlos Quintana already, players that never went to US HS or Colleges but end up as draft available. Lots of those young Latino players in years to come was signed more like FA and never should be in regular draft.
Then we get Ichiro Suzuki like older Japanese players that will turn up in draftclasses. I found that a nuisance when I tried out historical with draft. I tried click them not draft avalaible when they showed first time, but yet they popped up on draft day.
Of course solution is to just have the option of letting all players added to the team they really turned up in first time, BUT I like to have an exciting draft to play with, like you.

So have you given it any thoughts at all ??
I wish developers take a minute on how to "fix" this and make those over aged players not popping up in draft classes.
clamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #175
progen
All Star Starter

My buddies friend went to Indiana State when Blaise Ilsley was there. Really good in college from what he told Dave, and was drafted by Houston. Had a decent minor league career, and had a cup of coffee with the Cubs at the age of 30. Gotta appreciate the man hangin onto his dream!

Big issue was arm trouble throughout his career. Ended up making it to the Show as a bullpen coach for the Cardinals.

And always liked reading Jayson Stark's column in the now defunct Philadelphia Inquirer. Awesome beat writer for the Phillies!

Last edited by progen; 03-25-2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #176
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamel View Post
Brilliant coverage of a historical save. It's filled with so much story inside the game and that makes it feel very real indeed.
Thanks for it, and I hope you keep it up.

Then I got some questions on draft issues.
It's still early mid-80s for you, but how will you deal with "problems" later on when Japanese players and Cuban defectors pop up in the draft ?
You can see players like Carlos Baerga and Carlos Quintana already, players that never went to US HS or Colleges but end up as draft available. Lots of those young Latino players in years to come was signed more like FA and never should be in regular draft.
Then we get Ichiro Suzuki like older Japanese players that will turn up in draftclasses. I found that a nuisance when I tried out historical with draft. I tried click them not draft avalaible when they showed first time, but yet they popped up on draft day.
Of course solution is to just have the option of letting all players added to the team they really turned up in first time, BUT I like to have an exciting draft to play with, like you.

So have you given it any thoughts at all ??
I wish developers take a minute on how to "fix" this and make those over aged players not popping up in draft classes.
Thanks for the kind words. Glad you've enjoyed it so far, and yes, I'll definitely be keeping it up.

So while my writing is in late 1985, I'm already in late 1986 in the game, and I just had that draft, which included a couple players who were playing internationally and in real life were signed outright (spoiler alert: I draft one of 'em).

Honestly, I don't pay mind to it and let them enter the draft. I've been pretty micro with my adjustments to reality (including giving players their actual real-life contracts [or as close I could get it] before starting up the sim), but I guess this didn't bother me. I think it's more that if I try to engineer one international guy's career, then I have to do it for all of 'em going forward, and I suppose I don't want to waste time with that.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:13 PM   #177
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by progen View Post
My buddies friend went to Indiana State when Blaise Ilsley was there. Really good in college from what he told Dave, and was drafted by Houston. Had a decent minor league career, and had a cup of coffee with the Cubs at the age of 30. Gotta appreciate the man hangin onto his dream!

Big issue was arm trouble throughout his career. Ended up making it to the Show as a bullpen coach for the Cardinals.

And always liked reading Jayson Stark's column in the now defunct Philadelphia Inquirer. Awesome beat writer for the Phillies!
re: Blaise - very cool! I'm hoping this changes his career arc a bit. And Stark is my all-time favorite baseball writer.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:24 PM   #178
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Dec. 28, 1985

Catcher Ray Smith signs a minor league deal. He and Bruce Bochy will have a friendly battle for … I don’t know, the fourth best catcher on roster? Might be important, actually.

Meanwhile, Ken Dayley down in Atlanta, who opened a nightclub, has been suspended for … opening the nightclub? Braves manager Joe Torre says he isn’t a fan of the side venture. Eh, that’s pretty weak, Joe.

Dec. 29, 1985

It’s Sunday, and folks are still out of town and on vacation, especially with New Year’s Day just a couple days from now.

But not all is quiet: The Brewers traded prospects Bill Wegman, Jeff Parrett, and Walter Pohle to Texas for LF Gary Ward, who reached the all-star game last year and hit 24 home runs. The Brewers have added 11.4 WAR this offseason and seem to be going for it; it will be tough considering Toronto and Detroit have been running the division over the past few years, and Boston is no slouch, either.

Dec. 30, 1985

Checked in with some of the top free agents, just to get a beat on their markets. I’m intrigued by the Jeff Reardon market, as he seems to be only demanding a little more than half a million per season. I had him tabbed as the best reliever on the market. We’re standing by our thoughts that we want to give our internal options a real chance, but if Reardon’s market sags and he’s available in maybe two weeks, we may have to swoop in. It’s the principle.

Dec. 31, 1985

Plenty of minor league signings happening over the past few weeks, and very few big-league deals. Still waiting on Reardon, Kent Tekulve, Bill Campbell, Mike Scott, and Chet Lemon, among others.

Spending New Year’s Eve with some friends outside of baseball. I’m hearing folks will be doing copious amounts of cocaine. Me? Ehhh …

Jan. 1, 1986

Stud young Blue Jays pitcher Jimmy Key sliced his finger open while preparing lunch. Or so they say. He’ll be injured a few weeks. No biggie.

Happy new year! 1986! Can you believe it?

Meanwhile, the Brewers just placed 21-year-old shortstop Edgar Diaz (22/34) on waivers. He’s probably just a AA player right now, but he has all three options, and I could take a gamble. Plus he costs nothing substantial (minor league contract) and would be in the mix for infield depth.

But he’s not the depth I need. I need more of a veteran who can still slot into AAA. Diaz would get little to no playing time being with Gregg Jefferies, Billy Bates, Keith Miller and all those guys in Reading. Soft pass.

Jan. 2, 1986

Finally, some news. And whoa, Milwaukee!

The Brewers continue their big-spending offseason, locking up Mike Scott on a four-year, $4.88 million contract. So here’s who the Brewers have added this offseason:

SP Mike Scott
SP Frank Tanana
C Willie Aikens
3B Denny Walling
LF Gary Ward

This after losing Ted Simmons and Ben Oglivie to retirement, and Rollie Fingers and Jorge Orta to free agency. Essentially Milwaukee is shedding the remnants of its 1982 pennant-winning team and assembling what it hopes is a mid-to-late 80s dynasty.

In other news, the Tigers get Kent Tekulve: two years and $1.58 million. That means I get a first round pick (protected top half) from Detroit. So, yeah, probably not the best first round pick, but I’ll probably get it.

Jan. 3, 1986

Hal McRae goes back to the White Sox for a year and $660,000.

Meanwhile, I check in with Steve Kemp’s agent, and it seems the outfielder merely wants an invitation to spring training. So, I offer him a minor league deal with a $325K contract if he makes the majors within 30 days. We also offer Rick Manning a minor league deal, as that’s all he wants. We could cut him later if need be.

Also, Jerry Royster doesn’t want too much (about $250K), so I might sweat that one out until he might be interested in a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training.

Jan. 4, 1986

Finally, some news for us. Enos Cabell’s agent checks in - his client is down. We arrange a physical.

SIGNED

1B/RF Enos Cabell - 1 year, $250,000

A big boost to our bench. Do we need more upgrades? Probably not, and I like the mix we have here between veterans (Cabell, Bill Lyons possibly) and younger talent (Jeff Stone, Mike Lavalliere maybe).

Dennis Martinez, one of our relief targets, has signed with Kansas City. We checked in with him, but it seemed he didn’t want to play here, because he wasn’t assured a regular spot. That said, his deal with the Royals is a minor league pact.

In other news, Boston nabs CF Chet Lemon with a six-year, $6.16 million contract. I really think the Rickey deal is better.

Also, Jeff Reardon goes to Houston on a three-year, $1.7 million pact. He got a little more than $500,000 per season. No swooping in to do here.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:42 PM   #179
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Jan. 5, 1986

Nothing doing today, though we hear about a few developments in TV and media:

For one, former Phillie Tug McGraw will begin working as a sports reporter for WPVI Action News, the city’s leading news station. He said he was getting into journalism …

Meanwhile, our communications department informs me that our old friend Garry Maddox will be joining the television broadcast team for the 1986 season. Good for the Secretary!

Jan. 6, 1986

Still nothing doing, but some top prospects are in town to get a tour of facilities and meet with staff members and coaches. Those prospects: pitchers Blaise Ilsley, Jeff Ballard, Tim Belcher, Michael Jackson and Joe Boever, and hitters Gregg Jefferies, Luis Polonia, Billy Bates, Keith Miller, and Ricky Jordan.

I get some time with them. Good group of kids. Really impressed with Jackson and Jordan, leader types.

Jan. 7, 1986

Interesting trade: The Reds send CF Eddie Milner and prospect John Bryant to the Yankees for Don Baylor. Looks like the Reds just need more offense, and with Eric Davis likely to get everyday time in center in ‘86, they must’ve felt it was time to move the extraneous player.

It makes me think about Glenn Wilson, who if we traded would free up right field for Jeff Stone to play everyday. So I ask the staff to help me call around and see if there are any bites, and it seems the market is what I’ve come to expect: hitters with poor contracts that teams are looking to jettison, middling relievers, and fringe prospects. Not worth it right now.

Jan. 8, 1986

Our minor league coaches are coming to Philadelphia next week for a week-long training, planning, and evaluation session. We’re hoping to figure out what went well, and not so well, within out scouting and development staffs. So we’re planning the last few things - where to eat and drink, breakout meetings, things like that.

And I’m still watching the market to see if anyone falls into our lap. Nothing yet.

I do check back in with Jerry Royster’s agent; the infielder’s demand is now $200K, but he wants a full major league deal. Don’t want to do that yet.

Jan. 9, 1986

I’m taking a couple days off, heading to a beach. Rick Manning’s agent checks in with my assistant - so far so good, but no deal.

Jan. 10, 1986

We learn that Willie Hernandez has signed a $296K deal over one year with Kansas City. Remember, the Phillies traded him to Detroit just before I got here, and while he put up a 1.18 ERA in 1984, he struggled with a 5.36 ERA last season.

Jan. 11, 1986

I get a call that Rick Manning’s agent called in: We’re all set. Manning is on board via a minor league deal with a conditional guarantee within 30 days. Last year he was in A-ball and hit .265/.362/.430 with 15 HR and 86 RBI. Before that, he had a 10-year major league career, most of it with Cleveland, and won a Gold Glove in 1976. He’s only 31. He’s a hard worker who wants to get back into the majors. Love having him on board.

Jan. 12, 1986

Quiet Sunday. Coming back from the beach a little relaxed.

Jan. 13, 1986

All the coaches get in during the afternoon, so I head in a little later today. We have an introductory meeting over lunch, then let the coaches rest at the hotel before a big dinner. Our goal is to improve our development strategy throughout all levels and ensure everyone is on board with the same ideas and tools.

Tonight, it’s all about first impressions. Some of the coaches are new, so we’re feeding information. We’re all in lockstep that, organizationally, we’re about speed, defense, flexibility, and power pitching. Any way we can win with (or against) speed we should, and so we should be faster, cover more ground, and pitch more strikeouts.

Figuring out what we do within that philosophy is the nature of the next week.

Jan. 14, 1986

Montreal picks up Rick Reuschel for one year and $720,000. Not too consequential for them. He can start or relieve and found real success out of the bullpen, at least to start. But he cratered mid-season, and while he recovered a little, he finished with a 4.59 ERA.

Jan. 15, 1986

Jayson Stark has let us all in on his hall of fame ballot this year.
  • Luis Aparicio - SS - 1956-73 - Chicago White Sox
  • Lou Brock - LF - 1961-79 - St. Louis Cardinals
  • Jim Bunning - SP - 1955-71 - Philadelphia Phillies
  • Willie McCovey - 1B - 1959-80 - San Francisco Giants
  • Hoyt Wilhelm - RP - 1952-72 - New York Giants

Most of these nominees are returning candidates. This is year seven for Aparicio; he garnered 65.1 percent of the vote last time, but it’s a little less than his previous share of 67.4 percent. Brock scored 58.9 percent in his first year of eligibility, and the chances of that increasing are better than 50 percent. Wilhelm, a groundbreaking relief pitcher with a knuckleball, earned 70 percent of the vote last year, so this might be his year. Then there’s Bunning, a former Phillie whose vote share did go up last year (from 36.9 percent to 38.1 percent), but it probably won’t be enough, as he’s in year nine of eligibility.

One first-time nominee on Stark’s list, and it’s McCovey, who finished his career with a .270/.374/.515 line and 521 home runs. He was worth 70.5 wins above replacement for his career. He should get in, and maybe this first time out.

I’ll say McCovey does make it, along with Wilhelm. That’ll be it, though.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:51 PM   #180
progen
All Star Starter

Veterans committee will put Bunning in. Hopefully!