Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:33 PM   #1
DaBears
Major Leagues

Making Life As Easy As Possible For AI

Go Bears!!!

Interested in thoughts on how to make life as easy as you absolutely possible for the AI. There seems to be a lot on here about how the AI is this or that, areas it struggles in. Thought it might be helpful to try and wrap some of those ideas into one post.

For me, I have noted:
*Do not enable the 40-man roster, thus avoiding waivers (which the AI seems particularly awful at) - this does also disable expanded rosters, so there can be a price to pay

*Change Super 2 deadline to "No Super 2 Players Allowed" - the AI does not seem to have a clue on promoting players as far as timing, so this makes it simple.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #2
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Something that surprised me is the lack of a "help AI" switch which has been present in other games I've played.

There's a comment in another thread about making AI as good as a human, but this is clearly impossible. There are always computer limitations that mean AI will always be some amount less good than the designers. And clearly it is impossible for designers to be the best ever in every area.

Despite complaints of AI cheating people don't complain about the trading difficulty switch so it seems the presentation is the key.

Since GMs are looking at the stats produced by players help that increases their performance is not appropriate since stats have to be consistent with reality. And you can't have every players performance drop by going from an AI team to a human one.

So it seems rather than increasing player performance the help should be in the form of helping AI select better players. This should be pretty easy with scouting on: just give AI higher scouting accuracy. Don't have details on how it could be done with real ratings on.
Brad K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #3
t-bone shuffle
All Star Reserve

Two approaches here:

For helping the AI, I've found that reducing the number of minor league affiliates to 4 (AAA, AA, A, Short A), 5 max really helps. I usually increase roster size at the next to lowest level (27 or so), and make certain that the lowest level has no roster size limit.

I also adjust the team market size/loyalty, etc to make certain that there is a proper disparity between the haves/not's, so that you'll see the have's in particular spend plenty.

These are just a couple of examples. There are certainly more/better that others might detail for you here.

2nd approach, assuming you are running an organization is to make it more difficult for yourself. I use a 1-10 rating scale for example. It makes assessing talent much more difficult. Use the hard/realistic injury setting, etc.

I also try to play what I'd term as "realistic". Meaning, for example, I'm very cautious with pitching prospects and injured pitchers (limiting pitch count/not rushing return from rehab/bringing prospect's along slowly). There are many other "realistic" options (trades - if it feels like you're taking advantage of the AI, don't do the deal), and in general not doing anything that doesn't "feel" right when dealing with the AI.

Just a couple of approaches for you to consider that might swing the advantage to the AI's side.
t-bone shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #4
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Maybe a good way to help AI is to voluntarily restrict spending to well below budget. I pay no attention to budget, instead trying to have a payroll that is maybe 8 to 10 in a 20 or 24 team league. It will creep up as players become arbitration-eligible etc but when I get up to 5 or 6 in payroll I get rid of the higher-paid players so I can get back to 8 to 10. Sometimes lower.
Brad K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:51 PM   #5
DaBears
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone shuffle View Post
I also adjust the team market size/loyalty, etc to make certain that there is a proper disparity between the haves/not's, so that you'll see the have's in particular spend plenty.
Curious, what level of variance do you use? I have teams like KC/TB/OAK at 3 for market size, SDP/MIN/CLE at 4 - on the other end, NYY at 12, BOS/LAD at 10, SFG/STL/PHL/CHC at 9.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #6
t-bone shuffle
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
Curious, what level of variance do you use? I have teams like KC/TB/OAK at 3 for market size, SDP/MIN/CLE at 4 - on the other end, NYY at 12, BOS/LAD at 10, SFG/STL/PHL/CHC at 9.
I will have the NYY at 16 - 18 for example. Some of it depends upon league size too. I currently have a 40 team MLB, so in my mind, market size range is even greater.

To answer you more specifically, I'll always have NYY at 15+. LAD, BOS at 12+. CHC, SF, NYM, PHL 10-ish (teams with large market, but don't always spend like it).

Next level is WAS, HOU, ATL, STL, TEX, CWS (market size + fan interest/loyalty). In this example a team like STL is certainly a smaller media market, but their fanbase strength is an equalizer in my mind.

Bottom feeder markets are minimal in media, fanbase, and stadium situation (OAK, TB). Oakland is not a small media market at all, but their building effects their fanbase, etc. In my mind, KC is a better/stronger market than TB or OAK, because they keep their ballpark updated and have a much more financially influencing fanbase.

So, I try to factor in as much as possible, and include my eyeball tests to establish the size number.
t-bone shuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #7
highandoutside
All Star Reserve

Things I do to make the AI a more competitive opponent:
- Strict salary cap for me, and great disparity between big and small markets As someone mentioned, I ignore my budget and stick to a cap well below what most other franchises are spending.
- I play stats-only, with the exception of defensive and speed ratings.
- I play with 25 man roster; computer gets 28. Without this the CPU will constantly have a tired bullpen.
- I place no limits on AI's minor league roster size. Mine are at 25
- This is subjective, but I try to make fair trades.
highandoutside is offline   Reply With Quote