Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:54 AM   #1
Jim Gindin
Solecismic Software

Front Office Football Eight Update

While working on Front Office Football Nine, it occurred to me that since we aren't on the cusp of releasing this product, it would be nice to do what I've done almost every year since starting this project.

So I just released the 8.2 Update for FOF. It's a little bigger than my normal updates. I wanted to show off a couple of new ideas for game planning - ideas that are going to be part of FOF9. But I was excited to get them out there while you're waiting for the new game since the wait has been a bit longer than anticipated.

The update contains the 2018 player file, coaching file and schedule. New games will default to using these files and will begin in 2018 with the current salary cap structure.

The update includes new intermediate game-planning screens. These allow a little more fine-tuning of playbooks and game plans without having to design everything from scratch. You will still benefit from doing everything by hand, but the guided plans will allow considerable customization of your offensive game plan without having to spend hours working on every play.

During the season, you will able to install up to 12 new plays to your playbook each week. If you're at the limit of 200, you will have to delete plays to make room for the new ones. If you are continuing a saved game that's in-season, you will have to simulate a week before you can add new plays (this applies to multi-player as well).

The update includes a new blitzing designation screen that gives you a lot more control over which defenders blitz out of your basic personnel packages. Your saved defensive game plans will still work, but you will have to add blitz settings and then save them again to continue to use them.

The update includes a new drag-and-drop interface functionality for the main offensive and defensive game-planning screens. This will allow for quicker fine-tuning of game plans (OK, that's the one piece that doesn't directly translate to FOF9 - we haven't yet worked on the GUI for game planning).

There are a couple of minor bug fixes as well, nothing that affects the integrity of the game simulation.

Finally, there are a couple of tweaks to the process of evaluating free agent signings. First, the game will be a little less forgiving about correcting rosters that don't meet guidelines and will try to sign only rookie free agents. And second, players will be much stricter about letting their agents talk them into assigning much value to back-loaded offers.

This is an opportunity, for those of you who are new to the Front Office Football concept, to try the game out. And for those long-time customers who are watching, please take the time to review the game on Steam if you haven't already.

Happy simming...

Last edited by Jim Gindin; 10-22-2018 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:26 AM   #2
Ben E Lou
Front Office Football Central

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lg73povy1h...45.19.png?dl=0
Old 10-22-2018, 07:27 AM   #3
Ben E Lou

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cj978z1ltn...46.06.png?dl=0
Old 10-22-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
Ben E Lou

https://www.dropbox.com/s/drk6edju2k...46.33.png?dl=0
Old 10-22-2018, 07:27 AM   #5
Ben E Lou

Good stuff. Thanks, Jim! I don't know that I've *EVER* seen this much new stuff in a free update to a game.

Last edited by Ben E Lou; 10-22-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:33 AM   #6
garion333
Minors (Double A)

Uh, wow. This addresses a TON of my issues with FOF8. Can't believe that this exists. Wow. Thanks, Jim! And the OOTP guys for allowing this update while FOF9 is in development.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:35 AM   #7
Krillo
Minors (Single A)

Why spending time on a update to this game when there’s still so much work on the new?
Old 10-22-2018, 07:35 AM   #8
corbes
Bat Boy

Very excited especially about the new guided game-planning screen. Both of those controls -- number of runs, and relative length of passing -- should make it easy to generate the kind of week-to-week gameplans that have long been of interest to many, while retaining control over the overall offensive philosophy and approach. Looking forward to it!

Last edited by corbes; 10-22-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:45 AM   #9
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by garion333 View Post
Uh, wow. This addresses a TON of my issues with FOF8. Can't believe that this exists. Wow. Thanks, Jim! And the OOTP guys for allowing this update while FOF9 is in development.
You'll appreciate this.
Just tested 8.2 against the most recent GML FA1:9-12, where we had four instances of heavily backloaded contracts signed where other teams offered other deals. When I re-ran the stage with 8.2, 3 of the four 4 signed the other deals, 1 signed the backloaded deal, and it makes sense that he did The two most important signings of the stage that tell me that that Jim pretty much threaded the needle here are as follows:

8.1: http://gml.fof-belco.com/playercard.php?playerid=56466 He signed that deal with a 200K bonus, and turned down a deal that was 20K bonus, same salaries (2.52M in the first two years).

8.2: He signs the backloaded deal. Yeah, the backloaded deal looks goofy, but it's a better deal. Makes perfect sense.

However,

8.1: http://gml.fof-belco.com/playercard.php?playerid=53127 Backloaded deal has a 50K bonus, and he signed it.
8.2: He signed the cheap deal for 180K bonus, salaries the same.

These two signings make me feel really good about this aspect of 8.2
Old 10-22-2018, 07:49 AM   #10
corbes
Bat Boy

Also, for those anxious about FOF9: A surge in positive FOF8 reviews can only help with the publication of FOF9. If you haven't left a review yet, now's the time!
Old 10-22-2018, 07:55 AM   #11
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
Also, for those anxious about FOF9: A surge in positive FOF8 reviews can only help with the publication of FOF9. If you haven't left a review yet, now's the time!
...or flipping an old negative review to positive.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:32 AM   #12
thefatcat
Minors (Single A)

Pretty cool, thankyou
Old 10-22-2018, 08:37 AM   #13
garion333
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krillo View Post
Why spending time on a update to this game when there’s still so much work on the new?
New features for FOF were probably being developed in Jim's environment while the game was being ported to the OOTP interface. Meaning, the game exists already as FOF8 so new stuff/changes will be made there while the transfer to OOTP is ongoing. The new features and changes will then be brought to OOTP.

After FOF9 is out he'll be able to work from inside FOF9/OOTP.

The short answer is: FOF9 won't be out for quite some time.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:50 AM   #14
Sharkn20
Minors (Triple A)

This is just awesome, thanks Jim! Can't wait to play with this updated beauty!!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 10-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #15
jbergey22
Hall Of Famer

Out of curiosity how are the ratings being generated? Jim's personal scouting department? Football Focus?

I ask because while overall very good a few are far off IMO. Laquon Treadwell is lucky to have a job and hes 60 out of 67 starting out for example.

Appreciate the update Jim.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:35 AM   #16
Krillo
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garion333 View Post
New features for FOF were probably being developed in Jim's environment while the game was being ported to the OOTP interface. Meaning, the game exists already as FOF8 so new stuff/changes will be made there while the transfer to OOTP is ongoing. The new features and changes will then be brought to OOTP.

After FOF9 is out he'll be able to work from inside FOF9/OOTP.

The short answer is: FOF9 won't be out for quite some time.
The updates looks great and makes a lot of sense if there’s not coming a new game within a year. Hopefully there is. I just believe that updates like this will prevent the veteran FOF players to transition to FOF9, especially if the online leagues won’t be convertable. Otherwise I hope for FOF9 to be so much better then FOF8 that they quit their leagues and create new ones in FOF9. The vets will be much needed when the new game is released. Creating great posts and guides will help new players to the series, as they did for me with FOF8.
I am just concerned about FOF8 being FOF9 biggest competition to be really great and this doesn’t help.

It’s not quite fair to compare OOTP to FHM due to time and number of users but it’s a huge difference in knowledge and good stuff in the forums. An active and knowing forum helps a lot with sales and development of the game. I want this game series to sweep the market for ever, like FM did with “ soccer”.
I hope am wrong with saying that a lot of FOF veterans will stick with FOF8
Old 10-22-2018, 09:47 AM   #17
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krillo View Post
I hope am wrong with saying that a lot of FOF veterans will stick with FOF8
Long-timer here. Been around, as many others have, since FOF1 came out 20 years ago. I can't imagine many people like me sticking with FOF8 when FOF9 comes out.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:00 AM   #18
Clown
Bat Boy

Thanks big Jim, Excellent!
Old 10-22-2018, 10:01 AM   #19
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Out of curiosity how are the ratings being generated? Jim's personal scouting department? Football Focus?

I ask because while overall very good a few are far off IMO. Laquon Treadwell is lucky to have a job and hes 60 out of 67 starting out for example.

Must be X factor. Just started three new careers with 8.2 and he was 38/38 in one, 49/49 in the second, 62/62 in the third.

Last edited by Ben E Lou; 10-22-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:14 AM   #20
Sharkn20
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

Switch off the X-Factor

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk