Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues

Old 02-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #41
GhillieSuited
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Since I wrote the rules, yeah I guess I'd be in!!!

I should be allowed to be the Yankees!
Yankees
Yankees

I said..........................

So lets get this league off the ground!

Other than writing the rules what else do I need to do?
GhillieSuited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #42
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I love the idea...is there prize money?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #43
GhillieSuited
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Cool? Where are we at with this?
I want in!
Old 02-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #44
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I love the idea...is there prize money?
You'll find the rules attached to the initial post. They're there for the reading.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #45
GhillieSuited
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Some Thoughts/Offers

I would be willing to pay for half of the web site

Accepting PAYPAL would most likely be the best way to transfer monies

Another trade rule that can be added or used to replace the current one all together is the following:
“Any player(s) who are going to be traded must be placed on the forum for at least 48 hours before any trade is made.”
This rule would allow owners to feel more comfortable that one sided trades would be a lot less likely as the owner who wanted to trade a certain player could receive multiple offers (which could be documented through saving sent emails) for a player and if the trade commission can determine from those saved emails that an owner passed on a significantly better offer(s) to made the trade he did it would be voided.
To be honest and I know this is just me (most likely) I really don’t care who trades whom. If someone has to win a few dollars by cheating then that is their loss, really.
We are not talking tens of thousands of dollars here so it is very unlikely that someone or more than one person is going to find a way to cheat. There should be very little fear if any from anyone that this league will somehow be rigged or that someone is going to trade away all their talent so a friend can will all of those dozens of dollars J

The Inaugural Draft
Each team receives $100 million dollars
Owners bid on available players
Owners bid on Market Size
Owners bid on Fan Interest
Owners bid on position in first amateur draft

Players:
No bid can be lower than $250,000 (there is no maximum bid)
Owners may not bid more money than they have on hand at any time (round 1 = $100 million)
If two or more owners bid the same amount for a player the player is returned to the draft pool and the money is returned to the owners
All player’s ratings and contracts/salaries will be available before the draft begins
Owners can bid on as many or as few players as they would like
Players who are not bid on will be placed in a pool and distributed throughout the league according to the amateur draft (reverse order). These players will in most cases consist of players that will fill the minor leagues.

Market Size:
Owners have the ability to bid on their franchise’s initial Market Size.
There will be a maximum of 8 teams with any one size (astronomical, huge, large etc)
Divisions will be determined not by geographical location but market size in the inaugural season.

Fan Interest:
100 = $5M
90 = $4M
80 = $3M
70 = $2M
60 = $1M
50 = Free

Amateur Draft:
On June 16th of each season the league will hold the amateur draft. Since during our inaugural season there will be just a few games played before June 16th owners will bid on where they want to be placed during the first amateur draft. The highest bid selects first and so on.

EXAMPLE:
Brooklyn Dodgers
Fan Interest 100 = $5,000,000
Market Size Huge = $3,000,000
Amateur draft = $4,000,000
SP Art Shamy = $3,000,000
SP Milt Barney = $3,000,000
SP Bill Milty = $3,000,000
CL Ron Talby = $8,000,000
OF Mark Smith = $6,000,000
OF Gary Shimmy = $2,000,000
1B Bart Cally = $500,000
3B Steve Ross = $2,500,000
SS Derek Nomar = $3,000,000
2B Ryne Sand = $15,000,000
OF Bill Bland = $250,000
OF Barry Bland = $250,000
C Thurman Custer = $10,500,000

Total = $100 Million

Floating Divisions™
The league will be instituting a floating division ™ format. There will be two leagues with three divisions per league. Divisions will be aligned the first season by market size. The top four market sizes will be in one division the next four high market sizes will be in another division with the final four teams (possibly smaller market sizes) in the 3rd and final division.
After season one and in subsequent seasons divisions will be determined by post season births and season records. The three division winners and the wild card team will be placed into one division, the four teams with the most victories after post season teams will be in another division and the remaining four teams will be placed together.

Example:
Season 1

Sparky Anderson Division
Cincinnati Reds 101 victories
Milwaukee Brewers 91 victories
St. Louis Browns 81 victories
Atlanta Braves 71 victories

Branch Rickey Division
Brooklyn Dodgers 102 victories
Philadelphia Phillies 92 victories
New York Giants 82 victories
Arizona Diamondbacks 72 victories

Billy Beane Division
Los Angeles Dodgers 103 victories
San Diego Padres 93 victories
San Jose Pilots 83 victories
Seattle Mariners 73 victories

The post season teams are:
Division Winners
Los Angeles
Brooklyn
Cincinnati
Wild Card
San Diego

(Regardless of how the post season plays out)
Following season division alignment:

Sparky Anderson Division
Los Angeles Dodgers
Brooklyn Dodgers
Cincinnati Reds
San Diego Padres

Branch Rickey Division
Philadelphia Phillies
Milwaukee Brewers
San Jose Pilots
New York Giants

Last edited by GhillieSuited; 02-19-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #46
waltwa
All Star Reserve

I strongly disagree with the bidding process at least as far as financials are concerned. The league should be finacially equal at the start.
waltwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #47
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwa View Post
I strongly disagree with the bidding process at least as far as financials are concerned. The league should be finacially equal at the start.
I'd be against that idea as well if there was ample interest in such a league. One change I'd make would be that as commissioner, I would run a team, but my earnings would be capped at my fee for the previous year. All money in excess (if any) would go into the payment pool.

Last edited by Cooleyvol; 02-19-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #48
Dekuyper
Bat Boy

The idea suggested is virtually an auction draft similar to a fantasy baseball league. While it allows every GM to have an equal chance at each player, and is really fun in practice, just know that it takes a 10 - 12 team fantasy league a couple of hours (minimum) to complete if drafting a 25 man roster. And that is if all 10 - 12 are actually online at the same time.

Getting 30 GMs online at the same time is iffy, and even if you did it would probably take the better part of a day to auction off 25 players for 30 rosters. Just seems unlikely.
Dekuyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #49
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekuyper View Post
The idea suggested is virtually an auction draft similar to a fantasy baseball league. While it allows every GM to have an equal chance at each player, and is really fun in practice, just know that it takes a 10 - 12 team fantasy league a couple of hours (minimum) to complete if drafting a 25 man roster. And that is if all 10 - 12 are actually online at the same time.

Getting 30 GMs online at the same time is iffy, and even if you did it would probably take the better part of a day to auction off 25 players for 30 rosters. Just seems unlikely.
Like I said, it isn't going to be implemented. It was merely suggested, but thanks for the outline of how long drafts take.

Also, there won't be 30 clubs in the league. The rules are written with 24 in mind, but most likely, if I did this, there'd be 20.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #50
waltwa
All Star Reserve

Here is a suggestion on the draft. It would not be a live draft.

Say u get the 20 team league organized on 3/1

the draft starts immediately in stats lab or getch's utilities (if possible). each team has a time slot on the forum that is longer at 1st and then gets shorter.i like the idea of 15 rounds for ml players and then 10 rounds for prospects and then let the computer take over for the remainder. by 4/1 it seems the league would be ready to go.

if OOTP13 is to be the vehicle move the dates back to correspond.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #51
GhillieSuited
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:

It is not the type of draft ya’ll are used to. It is not done team by team by team.
EXAMPLE:
I own the Yankees. I look at the list of players, their ratings and contract amount and length are visible to every owner. Every other owner in the league can see the same players I do. We each have $100 million to spend.
We are not buying contracts, slots in the draft but rather the player.

So I as the Yankees like the following player:

Slow Joe Jackson I’m going to bid $2 million for him
You also like Slow Joe Jackson and you bid $1.5 million for him
Then a third owner also likes Slow Joe Jackson and he bids $2.25 million for him
The third owner just “drafted” Slow Joe Jackson.
The $2 million I bid and the $1.5 million you bid on Slow Joe Jackson goes back into our accounts. The third owner now has $97.75 million to spend on other players. $100 – 2.75

You are not sending in just one bid for one player within 24 hours or 12 hours like you have done countless times in the traditional boring way we have all done in the dozens of other leagues we have been in. Rather, you are sitting down one day with $100 million dollars, looking at every available player in the league, their ratings, age, contract etc already in place. You then have to determine how to build your team.

Same as MLB today saying ok every player goes into a pool. Their contracts stay in place. Now every owner has to place a sealed bid to the commissioner’s office by midnight Sunday. No owner can spend more than $100 million and the players you are the high bid on you assume their current contracts.

So this is what would happen, we would all send the commish an excel file with the names of the players we want and the $ amount we want to pay for them. The commish then goes through the list and puts the players with the highest bids on the corresponding teams.
The file is uploaded with the players placed on the franchises that bid the most for them then the next round commences.

This type of draft is not a one team at a time selection. Me first then you then the third team and so on down the list. Put your brain to the test. What is that 33 year old 9 rated power hitter with 2 years left on his current contract at $17 million per season worth to you? You and I both start out with $100 million to spend on players. If you bid $10 of your $100 for him will it be enough?

Last edited by GhillieSuited; 02-19-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #52
fsclb66
Minors (Single A)

Id be interested
fsclb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #53
Dekuyper
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhillieSuited View Post
So this is what would happen, we would all send the commish an excel file with the names of the players we want and the $ amount we want to pay for them. The commish then goes through the list and puts the players with the highest bids on the corresponding teams.
The file is uploaded with the players placed on the franchises that bid the most for them then the next round commences.

This type of draft is not a one team at a time selection. Me first then you then the third team and so on down the list. Put your brain to the test. What is that 33 year old 9 rated power hitter with 2 years left on his current contract at $17 million per season worth to you? You and I both start out with $100 million to spend on players. If you bid $10 of your $100 for him will it be enough?
Think of the potential disaster of this... Team A rates 50 players using up all $100 million, hoping that he hits on just 25 of them to fill out a ML roster. He ends up being 2nd or worse on every player he rated, so he gets his $100 mill back but has to fill his roster with whatever is left that went undrafted.

Too much luck involved when it seems the idea is to produce a balanced and fair league.

Last edited by Dekuyper; 02-19-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Dekuyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #54
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Think of the potential disaster of this... Team A rates 50 players using up all $100 million, hoping that he hits on just 25 of them to fill out a ML roster. He ends up being 2nd or worse on every player he rated, so he gets his $100 mill back but has to fill his roster with whatever is left that went undrafted.

Too much luck involved when it seems the idea is to produce a balanced and fair league.
I have a pretty good handle on how to set up a league. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #55
griffeyin98
Major Leagues

Let's not turn this into another rehashing of the idea, we've done that already int he last thread. The idea/rules are solid, let's get 24 gms and let Cooley do his thing.

I for one have ZERO issue with Cooley also running a team and keeping the profits for that matter. If anyone has an issue with that, you could just put your "winnings" into a pool that only gets paid out every 5 seasons to keep anyone from worrying about the commish's honesty.
griffeyin98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #56
waltwa
All Star Reserve

agreed. rules look solid. A person wants to start a league and work at keeping it together he should have the right to GM a team.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #57
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Here are those names that have expressed interest in this thread:

greenrebellion
jimbow377
griffeyin98
Red Bird
Rastafreaky
ripwalk
waltwa
trendon
WillDuke
patriotcoach
Jax Powers
Dekuyper
GhillieSuited
fsclb66

I believe that's 15. I'd need 19 (me making 20) to go forward with this.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #58
waltwa
All Star Reserve

assuming we go with 12 (i don't care) it might be a good idea to change the post to one where we are looking for 4 owners on a Moneyball league. I think it will fill up in a day under that heading.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #59
hogzilla
Bat Boy

count me in. I can def get behind earning some money for baseball
hogzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #60
checkyoursixx
Minors (Triple A)

I am 100% committed to this!

Want my moneys?!?!
checkyoursixx is offline   Reply With Quote