Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations

Old 04-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #41
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoman View Post
Hey Charlie,have you checked out the draft values with the new patch. It is suppose to be fixed. I havent had a chance to check it out yet.
Yes, I've tried them. There is improvement. You will see Koufax going midway through the 2nd round now instead of the 4th. But overall we still have the same problems. Wayne Causey, a career .252 hitter with limited OBP and SLG goes #13 overall, while guys like Clete Boyer and Sandy Koufax go later.

It seems like the first couple of rounds are fairly solid in terms of overall talent selected, but there are still problems with how individual players end up slotted when you consider their real life statistics.

Then again, this stuff is based on neutralized stats. So that is probably part of the problem as well. If you like Ryne Duren coming into your 1954 game as a stud closer despite pitching 1 game in real life and not appearing in the majors again until 1957, then by all means use the neutralized stats.

But that's not for me. Duren should have to wait until he's been around for at least a few years before he develops the kind of ratings to match his two great seasons in 1958 and 1959. In the meantime, his 1 game in 1954 and his 5.27 ERA once he finally made it in 1957 should give him minimal value.

In all reality, if you turn off recalc when creating your historical game and let OOTP determine potential ratings based on remaining years of career, the draft results are just as good if not better than using the pre-defined draft values. In fact, Koufax seems to go #1 in every game under that circumstance, and the AI does quite well with the other draft picks.

The problem emerges when you use recalc, because OOTP then ignores the potential ratings settings and bases them ONLY on the 3-year recalc period. So the AI can't see the player's full career potential, and the draft results are abysmal.

All of this would be solved if Markus would separate the potential ratings settings from recalc. If they could operate separately, as they logically should, then there would be no need for the predetermined draft values. The AI could see a player's true historical potential, and this would make a huge improvement to the game in drafting, trading, and other transactions when using recalc.

Last edited by Charlie Hough; 04-23-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #42
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Markus has announced on the general discussion forum that he will add an option in the next patch so that potential ratings can be based on remaining years of career (or remaining peak seasons) with recalc turned on. Potential ratings will then be updated after each season based on those remaining seasons.

This will probably solve the problem and eliminate the need for the pre-determined draft values. I suppose that the draft values feature can always stay in OOTP, but if the results with the next patch emulate what we see when recalc is turned off and player potentials are rendered correctly, then I personally would not use draft values. The AI does a good job when it can see a player's full future potential, and, while some picks are still not perfect, you simply aren't going to see players slip too low in the draft. Their true potential ratings don't allow this.

Last edited by Charlie Hough; 04-24-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:15 AM   #43
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Thumbs up Thank you Charlie Hough and others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
Markus has announced on the general discussion forum that he will add an option in the next patch so that potential ratings can be based on remaining years of career (or remaining peak seasons) with recalc turned on. Potential ratings will then be updated after each season based on those remaining seasons.

This will probably solve the problem and eliminate the need for the pre-determined draft values. I suppose that the draft values feature can always stay in OOTP, but if the results with the next patch emulate what we see when recalc is turned off and player potentials are rendered correctly, then I personally would not use draft values. The AI does a good job when it can see a player's full future potential, and, while some picks are still not perfect, you simply aren't going to see players slip too low in the draft. Their true potential ratings don't allow this.
Charlie Hough and others who kept after this issue - thank you for your persistence. I owe you an apology Charlie and it's because of my own inability to figure out/understand why the potential ratings were so important to getting the draft right (among other things). I was not able to think outside the box and see that if the game could base potential ratings on remainder of career AND use 1, 3, or 5 year recalc, the draft issues could be overcome w/o the need for using the pre-determined draft values. Good on you guys.

But this has further reaching implications then just the draft. If it works as you suggest it should Charlie, then the AI will be just as smart on history as we are (probably moreso because it will know about the career potential of every single player in the historical database - something about which I doubt any of us could boast). This should lead to smarter AI GMing decisions in areas such as: trades, contracts, whether to give out an extension or let an aging player walk etc. Any AI GM decision which comes down to how much a certain player has left in the career tank should be ameliorated and that is great news. I suppose I should back off on my giddiness a little bit, as we need to wait and see the results. I am absolutely sure you'll test this one to death on the 1955 draft Charlie Hough and let us know yay or nay. Often times with these things, the first attempt falls a bit short, but with each improvement in this area, the historical side of the game could take a huge step forward thanks to you guys.

Last edited by actionjackson; 04-25-2010 at 01:18 AM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #44
Scoman
All Star Starter

Sadly I dont think this has been improved much.
Scoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:45 AM   #45
Garlon
Hall Of Famer

Scoman - the rookie drat logic each year is essentially perfect. You're not going to see any greta players slipping to the 2nd round unless you have an exceptionally deep rookie draft. The draft values are based on maximum potential Runs Created (both for pitchers and hitters) for a player's career.
Garlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:36 PM   #46
Scoman
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlon View Post
Scoman - the rookie drat logic each year is essentially perfect. You're not going to see any greta players slipping to the 2nd round unless you have an exceptionally deep rookie draft. The draft values are based on maximum potential Runs Created (both for pitchers and hitters) for a player's career.
I was judging this off the first year initial draft,thanks for clearing that up for me.
Scoman is offline   Reply With Quote